• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The OpenAI conspiracy argument for a possible simulation

The thought of a somewhat caring intelligent force is comforting to me.
Thank you for that, ExC. It the most direct and honest answer to my question possible, I think.
Unfortunately, for most of the rest of us, it means that sim/not sim is a meaningless question or a distinction without a difference. But do wake me up if you come up with something that is only explicable by positing “sim”. Or a characteristic that would necessarily be present in a non-sim universe but not in a sim.

Thank you for that, ExC. It the most direct and honest answer to my question possible, I think.
Unfortunately, for most of the rest of us, it means that sim/not sim is a meaningless question or a distinction without a difference. But do wake me up if you come up with something that is only explicable by positing “sim”.
Yes it seems it can't be proven either way which explains why I believe that the possible intelligent force isn't obvious.

Unfortunately, for most of the rest of us, it means that sim/not sim is a meaningless question or a distinction without a difference. But do wake me up if you come up with something that is only explicable by positing “sim”.
Yes it seems it can't be proven either way which explains why I believe that the possible intelligent force isn't obvious.
So FAPP it’s a nothingburger. But if it whets your appetite for life, I guess that’s good.

I agree with Elon Musk that
Really, there's no way that a sentence that starts like this can end, that doesn't make the person who wrote it look foolish.
Well let's see what OpenAI's ChatGPT says... like I said Elon helped create OpenAI
I wrote "I agree with Elon Musk that" and someone replied "Really, there's no way that a sentence that starts like this can end, that doesn't make the person who wrote it look foolish". Are there any logical fallacies in the reply?

It's possible that the reply you received could be interpreted as committing the ad hominem fallacy, which is a type of logical fallacy that involves attacking the person making an argument rather than addressing the argument itself. In this case, the reply is implying that anyone who agrees with Elon Musk must be foolish, rather than addressing the substance of the argument being made.

It's important to remember that it's possible to agree with someone's ideas or opinions without necessarily agreeing with everything they say or do. It's also possible to disagree with someone's ideas while still respecting their right to hold those beliefs. It's important to focus on the substance of an argument and to avoid personal attacks or ad hominem fallacies in discussions and debates.
From OpenAI's Playground:
Yes, the reply contains two logical fallacies: the Ad Hominem fallacy and the False Dilemma fallacy. The Ad Hominem fallacy is when an argument attacks the person making an argument rather than the argument itself. In this case, the reply implies that the person making the statement looks foolish, regardless of the content of the statement. The False Dilemma fallacy is when an argument suggests that there are only two options when there may actually be more. In this case, the reply suggests that the sentence the person wrote must end in a foolish way, when there could be other valid ways the sentence could end.
I don't really understand what it is talking about concerning the false dilemma though.
Can you explain why you think there is a false dilemma fallacy in the reply as clearly as possible so that a child could understand?

The reply is suggesting that there is only two possible outcomes for a sentence like this: it will make the person look foolish, or it can't end at all. But this isn't true; there are lots of other possible outcomes. For example, the sentence could end with "we should invest in renewable energy sources" or "we should have a more sustainable approach to technology".
I wrote "I agree with Elon Musk that" and someone replied "Really, there's no way that a sentence that starts like this can end, that doesn't make the person who wrote it look foolish". What are the ten best clever witty responses to that reply?

1. "I guess I'll have to challenge that opinion then!"
2. "It looks like I'll have to prove you wrong!"
3. "Challenge accepted!"
4. "Let's see how this sentence ends, shall we?"
5. "I'm about to write a sentence that will make me look wise!"
6. "I bet I can make this sentence end in a way that leaves me looking wise!"
7. "Looks like I'm up for a challenge!"
8. "I'm sure I can write something clever and witty to finish this sentence!"
9. "I'm confident I can write an ending that will make me look smart!"
10. "Time to prove you wrong!"
I wrote "I agree with Elon Musk that" and someone replied "Really, there's no way that a sentence that starts like this can end, that doesn't make the person who wrote it look foolish". What are the ten best ironical mocking sarcastic responses to that reply?

1. Oh, I'm so sorry for challenging your infinite wisdom!
2. Do tell me, oh wise one, what should I have written instead?
3. I must've been mistaken in thinking I had a right to my own opinion.
4. I must've forgotten that I'm not allowed to even think about disagreeing with you.
5. I didn't realize I was required to have your approval before I expressed my views.
6. Clearly I should've consulted you before I dared to have a thought of my own.
7. My bad for not realizing that only your opinions carry any weight around here.
8. Whoops, I forgot I must bow down to your all-encompassing knowledge.
9. How silly of me to not realize that I'm not allowed to think for myself.
10. Pardon me for not being aware that I must accept your infallible judgement.

Last edited:
Elon Musk did not “help’ create OpenAI, unless you mean financing. Musk hasn’t got two neurons in his head to rub together to create a spark.

Elon Musk did not “help’ create OpenAI, unless you mean financing.
The organization was founded in San Francisco in late 2015 by Sam Altman, Elon Musk, and others, who collectively pledged US$1 billion. Musk resigned from the board in February 2018
So he helped found it, fund it and was on the board.
He also has many opinions on AI e.g. "AI, the Biggest Existential Threat to Humankind says Elon Musk" and that is why he helped create OpenAI. "Our mission is to ensure that artificial general intelligence benefits all of humanity"

it got to the point where basically every conversation was the AI slash simulation conversation
So in that 2016 video Elon Musk says he talks a huge amount about AI and simulations.... so he is interested in what OpenAI is about rather than just being in it for the possible profits, etc.
Musk hasn’t got two neurons in his head to rub together to create a spark.
Right.... BTW he is also behind Neuralink....

Elon Musk did not “help’ create OpenAI, unless you mean financing. Musk hasn’t got two neurons in his head to rub together to create a spark.
ChatGPT says:
Did Elon Musk help create OpenAI?

Yes, Elon Musk was one of the co-founders of OpenAI. OpenAI is a research organization that was founded in 2015 with the goal of advancing artificial intelligence in a responsible and beneficial manner. Musk, along with a group of other technology leaders and entrepreneurs, played a key role in the establishment of the company. However, he is no longer affiliated with OpenAI in any official capacity and is not currently a member of the company's board of directors.

Last edited:
Another connection that Elon Musk has with AI - his Tesla company is working on the Tesla Bot....

FFS, Elon Musk helped finance this stuff. He didn’t invent it. He didn’t code it. He has no personal expertise in this stuff at all.

He’s a dummy with a lot of money! He’s also a right-wing creep.

Why do you seem to worship this charlatan? :shrug: And, no, he’s never going to put millions of people on Mars.

FFS, Elon Musk helped finance this stuff. He didn’t invent it. He didn’t code it. He has no personal expertise in this stuff at all.
I think it is better for him to be involved in a high level way.
Also apparently when he was 12 he coded a video game and was paid $500 which I find impressive....

He’s a dummy with a lot of money!
I think has a lot of money because he isn't a dummy.
He’s also a right-wing creep.
Let's see what ChatGPT has to say:
Why would someone claim that Elon Musk is right-wing?

It is not accurate to describe Elon Musk as a right-wing individual. Musk is a businessman and entrepreneur who has expressed a range of political views over the years. In the past, he has supported some policies that might be considered right-leaning, such as low taxes and small government. However, he has also expressed support for progressive causes such as climate action and renewable energy. Additionally, he has spoken out against some policies and actions associated with the right wing, such as the Trump administration's decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement.

It is important to note that political labels can be misleading and that individuals do not always fit neatly into one political ideology. It is more accurate to describe Musk as a centrist or independent, rather than placing him on one side of the political spectrum or the other.
Why do you seem to worship this charlatan? :shrug:
Well it started with my agreeing that it is very likely we'd be in a video game then I liked things like OpenAI, Neuralink, Tesla bots (under $20,000), reusable rockets, etc. His appearances on shows like the Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory were interesting.
Though in BBT the guy basically seems to worship Elon - and it seems unrealistic that Elon would actually wash dishes like that.... it makes me cringe....

On the Simpsons Elon Musk is portrayed as some kind of super-moral genius though I don't necessarily agree with that. He is on there for an entire episode.
I don't worship Elon but he is perhaps the person I most admire in the world....
And, no, he’s never going to put millions of people on Mars.
Yeah there are heaps of problems with that idea.

Last edited:
I’m curious. Why do you keep talking to ChatGPT? Why would anyone care about what a glorified chat bot says about anything? For the same reason that you care what Elon Musk says about anything?

I’m curious. Why do you keep talking to ChatGPT? Why would anyone care about what a glorified chat bot says about anything? For the same reason that you care what Elon Musk says about anything?
Which do you think is a more insightful intelligent response?
or
It is not accurate to describe Elon Musk as a right-wing individual. Musk is a businessman and entrepreneur who has expressed a range of political views over the years. In the past, he has supported some policies that might be considered right-leaning, such as low taxes and small government. However, he has also expressed support for progressive causes such as climate action and renewable energy. Additionally, he has spoken out against some policies and actions associated with the right wing, such as the Trump administration's decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement.

It is important to note that political labels can be misleading and that individuals do not always fit neatly into one political ideology. It is more accurate to describe Musk as a centrist or independent, rather than placing him on one side of the political spectrum or the other.
Let's ask OpenAI's Playground:

The second response is more insightful and intelligent. It acknowledges the complexity of political labels and offers a more nuanced view of Elon Musk's political views. It also provides evidence to support its assertions and shows an understanding of the various views Musk has expressed over the years.

See also post #45...

In post #45 I mentioned that I also use OpenAI's Playground extensively (as opposed to ChatGPT). See if you can guess why I like OpenAI's AIs... see also:
Note: the reasons are related to how insightful and intelligent it usually is.... plus I like how it can generate code in any language, etc. And GPT3 is related to text to images and text to videos, etc.

or

Mine, by far. It’s not only more accurate and honest, it’s much more concise.

OpenAI's Playground disagreed:

The second response is more insightful and intelligent. It acknowledges the complexity of political labels and offers a more nuanced view of Elon Musk's political views. It also provides evidence to support its assertions and shows an understanding of the various views Musk has expressed over the years.
Post 1:

Post 2:
(........)

What do you think of the assertion that the first post is the more insightful intelligent response because "It’s not only more accurate and honest, it’s much more concise"

I do not agree with the assertion that the first post is the more insightful and intelligent response. While the first post is concise, it does not provide any evidence or context to back up its assertion. The second post, however, does provide evidence and context to support its claims and offers a more nuanced view on Elon Musk's political views. Thus, the second post is more insightful and intelligent.
Though the AI (Playground not ChatGPT) agrees that it is much more concise.... though I didn't say that conciseness was part of the question.

You can cut out the middleman by talking to the chat-bot directly. And probably have a more rewarding experience.

You can cut out the middleman by talking to the chat-bot directly. And probably have a more rewarding experience.
Note that in order to produce those AI answers I had to create a particular prompt...
e.g.
Why would someone claim that Elon Musk is right-wing?
and
What do you think of the assertion that the first post is the more insightful intelligent response because "It’s not only more accurate and honest, it’s much more concise"
This is what happens if you just put pood's posts directly into ChatGPT:
Elon Musk is also a right-wing creep.

It is not appropriate to make personal attacks or insults against individuals. It is important to have respectful discussions and to express opinions in a civil manner. It is not my place to provide a personal opinion on someone's political beliefs or character.
Elon Musk helped finance this stuff. He didn’t invent it. He didn’t code it. He has no personal expertise in this stuff at all.

He’s a dummy with a lot of money! He’s also a right-wing creep.

As an AI, it is not appropriate for me to make personal comments about individuals or to express opinions on their character or beliefs. It is important to have respectful discussions and to express opinions in a civil manner.

Elon Musk is a successful entrepreneur and business leader who has founded or co-founded several companies, including SpaceX and Tesla. He has made significant contributions to a number of industries, including space travel and electric vehicles. However, it is not my place to comment on his personal beliefs or character.

Back
Top Bottom