• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

In a time far less partisan than current year, people would notice problems with people in their own party. Not any more.
Strange. I don't remember you ever complaining about anyone in your party.
I was very critical of the Barr/Root ticket to the point where I chose a write-in candidate. I was so upset that Root decided to stay in the party after that race that I stopped paying national dues until he finally left. Many other people resumed membership when Root finally left.

I only warmed up to Gary Johnson after he realized how anti-war the LP really is and decided even his soft interventionst positions were too hard. I never took much of a liking to Bill Weld. Judge Gray was better than Weld, but still not great. The last time we had anything resembling an ideologically pure ticket was 2004.

The Republican-leaning Reform Caucus was one of the worst things that ever happened to the Libertarian Party, and the Mises Caucus is like a breath of fresh air after that mess.

I must issue a correction. Our 2020 ticket was much better, with Jo Jorgensen topping the ticket. I was very pleased with her. I was apprehensive about Spike Cohen as our VP candidate, but he turned out to be pretty good as well.
:hysterical:
I see someone who can't handle the idea of a woman president.
Hilary Clinton ran in 2016.
True
There are also posts of me supporting Harris and Klobuchar in 2020.
If you say so.
So you know that is false and is just goading.
No I don't.
Zipr wanted me to criticize people in my party, I obliged by discussing the 2008, 2012, and 2016 candidates.
And you did swimmingly.
My correction was to say that I was wrong when I wrote 2004 was the last time we had a decent ticket, when in fact 2020 was also much better than 2008, 2012, and 2016.
I was laughing at your comments of "I was very pleased with her" and "he turned out to be pretty good as well", when they didn't do a thing in the Executive Branch (or any actual political positions) to speak of... meaning neither of them actually had a record. So there was nothing to actually applaud or like about their governance but vapid words.
If I say they did better than 2008, 2012, and 2016, but they didn't get elected, that probably means I'm using some other standard of judgement.

Nah, there's no way people have standards other than the ones Jimmy thinks are important.[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile, conservative Christian candidate Frank LaRose kicked off his campaign announcement call to supporters with an NSFW song from the musical comedy duo Garfunkel and Oates. As the Ohio Secretary of State announced his candidacy to hundreds of Republican supporters, G&O’s bop “The Loophole” began playing in the background.

The song starts out sweetly enough, with the singers proclaiming “All my life I’ve been good/do what my mom and dad and God say I should” and taking pride in the fact that they wear a purity ring. But the song quickly devolves into a farce, as G&O realize that they can still keep their “morals” along with their “hymen intact” if they jump right to “fifth base”, so they sing “f*ck me in the ass ’cause I love Jesus”. Check out the hilarious music video below, but be advised: it is extremely NSFW!

I don’t think that premarital anal sex is one of Frank LaRose’s campaign values, but you never know! The song played for a FULL MINUTE as campaign staffers chalked it up to “mild technical difficulties.” LaRose himself interjected, begging the several hundred local GOP leaders to “mute their lines.” The call was placed on hold for 40 seconds and the crisis appeared to be averted. 20 seconds later, chaos ensued. Just as a LaRose was paying homage to GOP leaders and “grassroots Republican activists”, the song’s chorus referencing anal sex as “the sex God can’t see” blasted through the call again.
:hysterical: Trolling at its finest.

OMG!! that was awesome! That is my new favorite song about anal sex.
You had others? ;)
Why yes

Peter Jackson, the talented director that gave us the Lord of the Rings movies, had two early films that hold records for me.

The goriest move I ever saw (Brain Dead/Dead Alive) and the sickest movie I ever saw (Meet the Feebles)
Feebles is a very dark parody of The Muppet Show. One minor sub plot the show’s director keeps wanting to insert a musical number he wrote, but the producer won’t let him. He inserts it anyway. (The other stuff in the clip is the star of the show having a breakdown and killing the rest of the cast with a machine gun)

As an example of the success of running as a Democrat, Amelia Malpas cites the Green New Deal,
1. Who is she anyway?
2. Success? Green New Deal has, in four years, not advanced past the stage of a non-binding resolution that is not even being voted on. Hardly a success, esp. given the urgency of the issue and the ambitiousness of the timetable.
something that has been around in various forms for years. "The policy idea originated with the Green Party in 2010. It was not until insurgent Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s election in 2018 that Democrats entertained the policy and it permeated the national political discourse."
Is that the definition of success? Just more people palavering about it?

Some Democrats, at least. Early in 2019, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed it as "The green dream, or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is, but they're for it, right?”
The actual GND resolution is quite vague, so Pelosis criticism is fair. In 2019 AOC put out a more concrete FAQ, but she quickly removed it as it was lambasted for some of its crazier ideas like getting rid of "farting cows and airplanes" and "economic security for all who are unable or unwilling to work".

AOC has introduced her Green New Deal in every numbered Congress so far:
200w.gif

Each time, it's been cosponsored by nearly half of the House Democrats, though it hasn't had any hearings or been voted on.
And given the ambitious 10 year timetable, dithering around reintroducing resolutions for four years is hardly a success. AOC can't even get this resolution passed, much less draft and pass an actual bill.

Can the Green Party point to anything comparable?
Given that they are not in Congress, they have to waste time introducing resolutions outside the House and Senate chambers rather than wasting time introducing resolutions inside. But neither is actually getting anything done, certainly not anything befitting the urgent language of the resolution text.

One big problem with GND as envisioned by AOC et al is that it does not focus on climate change, or even on the environment. Instead, it seeks to rearrange the entire economy with federal job guarantees and "economic security for those unable or unwilling to work". What does that have to do with climate?

Last edited:
Meanwhile, conservative Christian candidate Frank LaRose kicked off his campaign announcement call to supporters with an NSFW song from the musical comedy duo Garfunkel and Oates. As the Ohio Secretary of State announced his candidacy to hundreds of Republican supporters, G&O’s bop “The Loophole” began playing in the background.

The song starts out sweetly enough, with the singers proclaiming “All my life I’ve been good/do what my mom and dad and God say I should” and taking pride in the fact that they wear a purity ring. But the song quickly devolves into a farce, as G&O realize that they can still keep their “morals” along with their “hymen intact” if they jump right to “fifth base”, so they sing “f*ck me in the ass ’cause I love Jesus”. Check out the hilarious music video below, but be advised: it is extremely NSFW!

I don’t think that premarital anal sex is one of Frank LaRose’s campaign values, but you never know! The song played for a FULL MINUTE as campaign staffers chalked it up to “mild technical difficulties.” LaRose himself interjected, begging the several hundred local GOP leaders to “mute their lines.” The call was placed on hold for 40 seconds and the crisis appeared to be averted. 20 seconds later, chaos ensued. Just as a LaRose was paying homage to GOP leaders and “grassroots Republican activists”, the song’s chorus referencing anal sex as “the sex God can’t see” blasted through the call again.
:hysterical: Trolling at its finest.
Never heard it called fifth base before, is that a standard term?

I mean, everyone knows Baby Got Back. And Anaconda.
Isn't BGB just about Sir Mixalot's love for women with big butts? Not necessarily anal?
And Anaconda is just a cheap resampling of the former for da club.

May I nominate What What in the Butt and, of course, the Butters cover version?

Never heard it called fifth base before, is that a standard term?
I thought it was "foul ball" ...

What does any of this have to do with the 2024 race though?

RFKJ also said China is developing ethnic bioweapons and knows how much they are spending on it. And he says the US is too, and attaches it to the Ukraine biolabs conspiracy theory. He loves so many conspiracy theories because he's a malevolent, worthless dimwit.

And this Chinese bioweapons claim is old news for him.

Holy crap he's a loon. On June 19, he was polled as having more favorability than either Biden or Trump!

Favorability dosn't always correspond with higher poll numbers. But yikes. It's a reminder that us on the left should be careful before mocking the loonies on the right (Q believers).

I know horse-shoe theory (if you go far enough right, you can see the far left) isn't fashionable, but it has merit

As an example of the success of running as a Democrat, Amelia Malpas cites the Green New Deal,
1. Who is she anyway?
She's a chronicler of the progressive movement. I mentioned her work earlier in this thread.
2. Success? Green New Deal has, in four years, not advanced past the stage of a non-binding resolution that is not even being voted on. Hardly a success, esp. given the urgency of the issue and the ambitiousness of the timetable.
AM herself will concede that the Progressive Insurgency, as she calls it, has not been very successful in getting much legislation passed.

something that has been around in various forms for years. "The policy idea originated with the Green Party in 2010. It was not until insurgent Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s election in 2018 that Democrats entertained the policy and it permeated the national political discourse."
Is that the definition of success? Just more people palavering about it?
It's a limited sort of success, but AOC has succeeded with it where the Green Party has failed.

Can the Green Party point to anything comparable?
Given that they are not in Congress, they have to waste time introducing resolutions outside the House and Senate chambers rather than wasting time introducing resolutions inside. But neither is actually getting anything done, certainly not anything befitting the urgent language of the resolution text.
That's a big problem with the Green Party - no members of that party have ever been elected to Congress.
One big problem with GND as envisioned by AOC et al is that it does not focus on climate change, or even on the environment. Instead, it seeks to rearrange the entire economy with federal job guarantees and "economic security for those unable or unwilling to work". What does that have to do with climate?
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Derec, than are dreamt of in right-wing outrage-mongering. Have you ever read the officially published text of the resolution? That was clearly in a leaked draft version. One can find the 2019, 2021, and 2023 versions in congress.gov -- the Internet makes a huge wealth of information available at our fingertips,

Does Vivek Ramaswamy's Hinduism really matter t o GOP voters?
On paper, he’s an appealing candidate for Republicans. The 37-year-old is the son of Indian immigrants, a self-made multi-millionaire, and someone who takes the most irrational positions on every “culture war” issue, whipping out the word “woke” at every possible opportunity. He’s a shield for accusations of right-wing racism, the sort of person who might be able to pick up independent and younger voters, and an alternative to candidates who’ve spent the past several years (if not longer) in the public spotlight. Also, he didn’t incite an insurrection or commit any other major crimes.
Vivek Ramaswamy Leans Into His Hindu Faith to Court Christian Voters - The New York Times - "The Republican candidate for president makes a pitch that the faiths have much in common, but for many religious conservatives, the difference is a hurdle."

He has stated Vivek Ramaswamy on Twitter: "TRUTH. ..." / Twitter
1. God is real.
2. There are two genders.
3. Human flourishing requires fossil fuels.
4. Reverse racism is racism.
5. An open border is no border.
6. Parents determine the education of their children.
7. The nuclear family is the greatest form of governance known to mankind.
8. Capitalism lifts people up from poverty.
9. There are three branches of the U.S. government, not four.
10. The U.S. constitution is the strongest guarantor of freedoms in history.

Hemant Mehta: "And yet Ramaswamy has attempted to convince white evangelicals he’s one of them in spirit if not in religious label."
Mr. Ramaswamy’s approach has been to confront the issue directly and argue that he has more in common with observant Christians than they might think.

“I’m not Christian. I was not raised in a Christian household,” he told Mr. Vander Plaats in June in front of a small audience at the headquarters of his organization, the Family Leader. “But we do share the same Christian values that this nation was founded on.”

In an interview in late June, after leaving a meeting with a few dozen pastors in New Hampshire, Mr. Ramaswamy said his faith taught him that Jesus was “a son of God, absolutely.” (That “a” is a sharp distinction from the central Christian belief that Jesus is the son of God. Hinduism is a fluid and expansive tradition, and many believers embrace scores of deities, with some seeing Jesus as one teacher or god.)

Although he is not a Christian, Mr. Ramaswamy pointed out, he speaks openly about why belief in God matters and why rising secularism in America is bad for the country, and about values like marital fidelity, duty, religious liberty and self-sacrifice.

“I don’t have a quick pitch to say, ‘No, no, that doesn’t matter,’” he said of the theological differences between Hinduism and Christianity. “It’s that I understand exactly why that would matter to you.”

At campaign stops, Mr. Ramaswamy refers to Bible stories, including the crucifixion of Jesus, and quotes Thomas Aquinas. He frequently mentions his experience attending a “Christian school” in Cincinnati (St. Xavier High School, a Catholic school). And he contrasts “religions like ours,” which have stood the test of time, with the competing worldviews of “wokeism, climatism, transgenderism, gender ideology, Covidism,” as he put it to an audience in New Hampshire.
Wokeism? He should show us what a Stakhanovite super worker he is and define it for us.

Climatism? So it's a religion to try to avoid some impending disaster?

Transgenderism? Gender ideology?

Covidism? So it's a religion to try to avoid some very nasty disease?

Back
Top Bottom