• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

In a time far less partisan than current year, people would notice problems with people in their own party. Not any more.
Ooh, do you want a list? I am definitely not happy with the Democratic Party.

But none of the issues I have with them would be helped at all by advancing a wannabe autocrat into the White House. Nor is "stutters occasionally" an important critique of any politician.

In a time far less partisan than current year, people would notice problems with people in their own party. Not any more.
Ooh, do you want a list? I am definitely not happy with the Democratic Party.

But none of the issues I have with them would be helped at all by advancing a wannabe autocrat into the White House. Nor is "stutters occasionally" an important critique of any politician.
This!
I've got plenty of complaints about the Dems. Including their apparent lack of Presidential candidates who aren't as old and old school as Biden.

But ever since the TeaParty take over of the GOP in 2010 I've become a straight ticket Democrat voter. The GOP has gotten worse ever since. I don't anticipate a change in the near future.
Tom

Strange. I don't remember you ever complaining about anyone in your party.
I was very critical of the Barr/Root ticket to the point where I chose a write-in candidate. I was so upset that Root decided to stay in the party after that race that I stopped paying national dues until he finally left. Many other people resumed membership when Root finally left.

I only warmed up to Gary Johnson after he realized how anti-war the LP really is and decided even his soft interventionst positions were too hard. I never took much of a liking to Bill Weld. Judge Gray was better than Weld, but still not great. The last time we had anything resembling an ideologically pure ticket was 2004.

The Republican-leaning Reform Caucus was one of the worst things that ever happened to the Libertarian Party, and the Mises Caucus is like a breath of fresh air after that mess.

Covid is a virus that kills or cripples far right MAGAtards. Not that it was engineered for that. But these tards refuse to wear masks or get vaccinated. Strange so many of these tards grunt conspiracy garbage about covid as a bio-weapon and then loudly refuse to take common sense measures to protect themselves from covid. Evolution in action, culling the idiots.

They don't want to protect themselves from a bioweapon?

That's like RFK Jr. both loving Israel and claiming that COVID-19 was likely designed to spare Chinese and Jews.

I was very critical of the Barr/Root ticket to the point where I chose a write-in candidate. I was so upset that Root decided to stay in the party after that race that I stopped paying national dues until he finally left. Many other people resumed membership when Root finally left.

I only warmed up to Gary Johnson after he realized how anti-war the LP really is and decided even his soft interventionst positions were too hard. I never took much of a liking to Bill Weld. Judge Gray was better than Weld, but still not great. The last time we had anything resembling an ideologically pure ticket was 2004.

The Republican-leaning Reform Caucus was one of the worst things that ever happened to the Libertarian Party, and the Mises Caucus is like a breath of fresh air after that mess.

I must issue a correction. Our 2020 ticket was much better, with Jo Jorgensen topping the ticket. I was very pleased with her. I was apprehensive about Spike Cohen as our VP candidate, but he turned out to be pretty good as well.

I must issue a correction. Our 2020 ticket was much better, with Jo Jorgensen topping the ticket. I was very pleased with her. I was apprehensive about Spike Cohen as our VP candidate, but he turned out to be pretty good as well.
:hysterical:

In a time far less partisan than current year, people would notice problems with people in their own party.
You mean you don't pay attention to what people say. Democrat party is beholden to corporate interests. The "gang" consists mostly of naive people that don't understand politics or have viable solutions to our problems. This is hardly a secret. Also, didn't Franken and Weiner resign?

Meanwhile GOP has their voters in arms, charging at windmills like "CRT", transgenders, oh and dying needlessly of covid-19 or taking horse dewormer (Matt Gaetz wearing a gas mask in a Covid-19 related vote, back before 1 million Americans would have died). We still see that con-artist from Long Island in the US House. Meanwhile the judges they installed into Government are getting real creative with precedence, history, and general rule of law interpretation.

There is no option. The GOP want to protect America from Visigoths and other non-existent threats. We typically seek help for people like that.

I see someone who can't handle the idea of a woman president.

Zipr wanted me to criticize people in my party, I obliged by discussing the 2008, 2012, and 2016 candidates. My correction was to say that I was wrong when I wrote 2004 was the last time we had a decent ticket, when in fact 2020 was also much better than 2008, 2012, and 2016.

I see someone who can't handle the idea of a woman president.
Hilary Clinton ran in 2016. There are also posts of me supporting Harris and Klobuchar in 2020. So you know that is false and is just goading.
Zipr wanted me to criticize people in my party, I obliged by discussing the 2008, 2012, and 2016 candidates.
And you did swimmingly.
My correction was to say that I was wrong when I wrote 2004 was the last time we had a decent ticket, when in fact 2020 was also much better than 2008, 2012, and 2016.
I was laughing at your comments of "I was very pleased with her" and "he turned out to be pretty good as well", when they didn't do a thing in the Executive Branch (or any actual political positions) to speak of... meaning neither of them actually had a record. So there was nothing to actually applaud or like about their governance but vapid words.

Poll: Vivek Ramaswamy ties Ron DeSantis for 2nd in GOP presidential race

(Kaplan) Trump 48%, RDS, VRS 12%, Chris Christie, Mike Pence 5%, Nikki Haley 3%, Asa Hutchinson 1%

Ramaswamy closes in on DeSantis as Trump dominates in GOP poll | The Hill
noting
(Echelon) June 2023 Omnibus Topline EXTERNAL

Trump 49%, RDS 16%, VRS 10%, MP, NH, 5%, Tim Scott 4%, CC 2%, Francis Suarez, Doug Burgum 1%, Glenn Youngskin, Asa Hutchinson, Rick Perry, Will Hurd, Larry Elder ~0%

Approval-vote poll (polled ones could vote for more than one): Trump 66%, RDS 52%, VRS 40%, TS 25%, MP 23%, NH 22%, GY 8%, CC, LE 6%, RP 4%, AH, DB 2%, WH, FS 1%

RealClearPolitics - Election 2024 - 2024 Republican Presidential Nomination - shows RDS still well ahead of VRS.

RCP's most recent averages: Trump 52.5%, RDS 20.8%, MP 5.4%, VRS 4.8%, NH 3.4%, TS 3.0%, CC 2.0% AH 0.4%, DB 0.3%, LE 0.2%

What’s The Deal With Long-Shot Presidential Candidates? | FiveThirtyEight
Unfortunately for these three, the reality is that it’s going to be very hard for them to become the Republican nominee for president. As of July 12, not a single national poll has shown Johnson or Binkley above 1 percent support, while no pollster has even asked about Laffey. And between 1972 and 2016, candidates polling below 2 percent even in the first half of the year before the election won the nomination just 1 percent of the time.

Of course, that’s not all these candidates’ fault. It’s hard for them to rise in the polls without money and media attention, which are hard to get without rising in the polls … It’s a vicious cycle. But against all odds, they’re running anyway.

Which 2024 Candidates Are In Trouble, According To The Latest Fundraising Numbers? | FiveThirtyEight
gelliottmorris: My take on Pence is that we see the same groupings in the polls as we see in these FEC filings (loosely speaking).
  • Group 1: Trump, the default nominee
  • Group 2: Candidates who support Trump but are pitching an electability/time to move on campaign: Scott, DeSantis, Ramaswamy, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, Haley
  • Group 3: Candidates who are vocal Trump opponents who have made the #NeverTrump movement a cornerstone of their campaign: Pence, Christie
  • Group 4: Low name recognition: Hutchinson, Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, former Rep. Will Hurd
If you’re in Group 2 or below, you mostly poll in the low to mid-single digits because you have a lot of people to compete with. And if you’re in Group 3 or below, GOP donors don’t want to touch you either (a) because you don’t share their ideology, or (b) you haven’t proved that you could actually win
Are the second-tier candidates hoping to become Trump's Vice President?

The Creative Fundraising Tactics Some Republicans Are Using To Make The Debate Stage | FiveThirtyEight
Burgum’s gift card bonanza

Last week, it began offering $20 gift cards to the first 50,000 donors who gave at least $1 — a giveaway that, in theory, could produce a net loss of as much as $950,000 (plus a few thousand more for the physical gift cards).

Suarez’s sweepstakes

Last Thursday, Suarez put out a call on Twitter for users to donate $1 to have a chance to win front-row tickets to watch soccer superstar Lionel Messi’s first game as a player for Inter Miami, the city’s MLS team.

Johnson’s book fair

But businessman Perry Johnson, who has not reached “major” candidate status per FiveThirtyEight’s criteria, is giving away an item for a buck that probably won’t garner a ton of donors: his book, “Two Cents to Save America.”

Honorable mention: Ramaswamy turns donors into fundraisers

Under the plan, contributors to Ramaswamy will have the opportunity — if they’ve passed a background check — to share a fundraising link to other potential donors, and in turn Ramaswamy’s campaign will pay them 10 percent of whatever they raise.

Vivek Ramaswamy and Nikki Haley Are Leading In Early State Visits So Far | FiveThirtyEight
All of the Republican presidential candidates who aren’t former President Donald Trump are looking for some version of their Jimmy Carter moment. Way back in 1976, Carter — then a little-known governor — invested heavily in his Iowa ground game, won the caucuses, and went on to clinch the Democratic nomination.
Iowa, New Hampshire visits
  • VRS: 19, 15
  • NH: 14, 13
  • AH: 15, 4
  • DT: 5, 4
  • RDS: 5, 3
  • TS: 5, 3
  • MP: 5, 2
  • DB: 3, 4
  • WH: 0, 4
  • CC: 0, 3
  • FS: 1, 1
For example, if you’re a candidate who wants to appeal to the Republican Party’s white evangelical Protestant base, Iowa is the obvious state to target. According to the Public Religion Research Institute, 19 percent of Iowa’s residents are white evangelicals, compared to just 8 percent of people who live in New Hampshire. Iowa is also home to influential evangelical leaders, like Bob Vander Plaats, who have helped steer candidates to victory in the past. New Hampshire, on the other hand, is a less socially conservative state and one where an anti-Trump message might take hold more easily.

Back
Top Bottom