• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Remarkable Progress of Renewable Energy

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Over the last decade, renewable-energy sources have been emerging as good alternatives to fossil fuels for powering industrial economies. Preindustrial technology was all powered in renewable fashion, except for coal burning here and there. But that proved inadequate for powering industrial technologies, and for a long time, the main renewable source has been hydroelectric generation.

Fossil fuels have three problems: (1) they won't last for more than about a century at current consumption, (2) much of the more easily-exploited resources have already been used up, and (3) using them puts a lot of carbon dioxide into our planet's atmosphere, and that has already been causing global warming. For these reasons, development of additional renewable energy sources has been actively pursued over the last few decades, and that effort is now bearing fruit.

Wind power -- present-day wind turbines are not your ancestors' windmills. They look much like 3-blade airplane propellers on tall posts -- and recently very tall ones, over 100 m (300 ft) high. The installed capacity has been growing by a factor of around 10 every 10 years since the 1990's, and the worldwide value is now around 500 gigawatts.

Growth of photovoltaics -- a big surprise for me, for these reasons: (1) photovoltaic cells are made much like computer chips, and I expected that to keep them relatively expensive, and (2) I expected concentrated solar power with thermal generation to be the solar winner, but it has not been.

But photovoltaic cells' installed capacity has also been growing by a factor of around 10 every 10 years since the 1990's, and is now around 400 gigawatts worldwide.

A big problem with wind and solar generation is that they are intermittent, and that has provoked a lot of work in electricity-storage technologies like improved batteries.

Another problem is the inadequacy of synthetic-fuel technology. This is for transport, where battery storage is often inadequate, and where liquid fuels are a great convenience. One makes synfuels with electricity by electrolyzing water and then combing the resulting hydrogen with carbon dioxide from the air -- the Fischer-Tropsch reaction. It has been used to make synfuels by nations with relatively little oil, like Germany and South Africa, and it is nowadays used to make synthetic motor oil. But in most places, synfuels are still more expensive than their petroleum-derived counterparts.

Cleantech News — Solar, Wind, EV News (#1 Source) | CleanTechnica is a renewable-energy enthusiast site (EV = electric vehicles, mainly electric cars). But it is revealing that that site seldom discusses synfuels.

What about nuclear energy?

Often it has proven not economically viable. There are problems with end of life of the plants, expensive decommissioning costs. And dealing with dangerous nuclear waste. They are a big head ache all around.

https://uspirg.org/reports/usp/high-cost-nuclear-power

Nuclear power is among the most costly approaches to solving America’s energy problems.
Per dollar of investment, clean energy solutions – such as energy efficiency and renewable resources – deliver far more energy than nuclear power.

Reactions: jab
What about nuclear energy?

Often it has proven not economically viable. There are problems with end of life of the plants, expensive decommissioning costs. And dealing with dangerous nuclear waste. They are a big head ache all around.

https://uspirg.org/reports/usp/high-cost-nuclear-power

Nuclear power is among the most costly approaches to solving America’s energy problems.
Per dollar of investment, clean energy solutions – such as energy efficiency and renewable resources – deliver far more energy than nuclear power.

Nuclear power is economically nonviable, because unlike all other power generation technologies, it has a regulatory regime that refuses to countenance the slightest risk to human health, and under which no level of additional regulatory burden is considered unreasonable.

Were other technologies held to the same standard (as they probably should be), then they would be even more expensive than nuclear power.

This despite the fact that nuclear power is demonstrably the safest method of generating electricity on a commercial scale so far discovered.

The decommissioning costs would be negligible, if the maximum allowed radiation exposure levels were calculated based on actual effects on health; Instead, the principle of 'As Low As Reasonably Achievable' (ALARA) is applied, and operators are required to go to insane lengths to protect people against increased levels of ionizing radiation, even where those levels are demonstrably harmless. Meanwhile, contaminated fossil power plant sites get a cursory cleanup at best, and then get abandoned, with only the local parents showing the slightest concern about the very real risks they pose.

'Dangerous nuclear waste' from power plants is so dangerous that in sixty plus years, not one person has ever been injured or killed by it. It is mostly perfectly good fuel, which could be recycled, if the anti-nuclear lobby were not so adamant that (in this one case) recycling is bad, and should not be permitted. meanwhile, waste from fossil fuel plants has no such impeccable safety record; But nobody seems to mind. When was the last time somebody mentioned 'Dangerous coal waste'? why do people think that they need to prefix 'nuclear waste' with 'dangerous', when it has caused no harm whatsoever to anybody in the entire history of commercial nuclear power generation? Are we really so uncaring about fact, and so easily swayed by propaganda*?

All of the problems trotted out by the anti-nuclear lobby in opposition to nuclear power are self-fulfilling prophecies - the cause of the 'problems' is their refusal to even consider any reasonable solutions.

Meanwhile, the propaganda for renewables and against nuclear power can't hide the fact that countries like France and Sweden, and states like Ontario, where nuclear and hydro are the main power sources, have GHG emissions form electricity generation well below 100gCO2eq/kWh, while countries like Denmark and Germany, who have piled VAST sums into renewables still average GHG emissions form electricity generation in the order of 500gCO2eq/kWh.

Lots of really excellent things have been claimed for wind and solar power; But a look at the actual generation profiles of countries that have embraced these technologies shows that the real effect has been to move from coal to gas for most of their power, with the renewables filling in patchy bits of supply (but on the rare occasions when they fill 100% of supply for a whole day, it makes headlines as though they had achieved some fabulous goal. Nobody posts the '0% of power in Germany was produced by wind power for 48 hours due to calm weather' headlines to offset these apparent victories).

Reality is real. The proof of the pudding is in the GHG emissions. I will be an avid supporter of Energiewende if, as and when the Germans routinely match the French on that CO2eq/kWh number over a full year. I am NOT holding my breath.

The question of whether the best approach to GHG reductions is nuclear or renewables has been tested in the real world, over the long term, at the scale of entire large developed nations. The answer is that nuclear power, as adopted by France, consistently and easily beats the pants off renewable energy, as adopted by Germany, by every single important measure (unless popularity is included as 'important').

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6EOoC_kKI0[/YOUTUBE]

Nuclear power isn't renewable; But it could power the world for an indefinite time - the total Uranium resource is enough for thousands of years, and the Thorium resource is even larger - particularly if we use breeders and reprocessing to recycle the otherwise unusable and/or unused fraction of the fuel, rather than declaring it to be 'waste' and burying it at pointless expense.

*Apparently, yes.

Parties in my family weren't wild but there were in a different era. In the years of Grandpa, neighbors used to knock the door, I was told to open, the neighbor ignored me but saying hi to grandma who was behind me, showed her fresh chicken hanging up side down from a string, saying, "hi neighbor, we hear the music and we should like to joint you", grandma hit my head so I pick up the chicken and taken them to the back patio where they will be killed and have more food for the party.

Other neighbors showed up with beer, wine, etc.

The house was full, and many leaved the house late and taking food as leftover grandma always insisted to give away.

However, many people were drunk and some of them sleeping everywhere. About 2:00 am, my grandpa woke me up to go and buy more chicken for next morning. Breakfast wasn't omelets and sh*t like that, breakfast after parties were chicken soup, beans and rice, beer -no liquor... too early for that...- and etc.

So, 2:00am going to the "Chinese chicken place".

The Chinese chicken place was a chicken farm owned by a Chinese dude. Clever, eh?

It happens that this Chinese chicken place was located in a route without street lights, it was a road without pavement. The property was surrounded by a Trump's style wall the whole perimeter. Grandpa knocked the door and asked for two fat chicken and two dozen of eggs. We came inside and waited over there.

The old Chinese man called his grandson, who was about 10 years old. He told him to "turn the lights On".

Here is the best renewable energy of the world:

The Chinese boy jumped to a stationary bike, connected was a huge dynamo to the wheel which was also huge. And there he went. After the boy started his biking, lights made from flashlights started to illuminate the whole area from the house of the Chinese family to the henhouse, plus the entrance where we were waiting for the chicken., and the corners of the property.

The old man came with everything my grandpa asked for and after payment we went back home in grandpa's car.

Today renewable energy is in us, but we are lazy, this is the sad truth, and this is why tomorrow morning I will order lots of dynamos to be installed in different stationary bicycles at home, so if people at home want to watch TV, they must do some exercise to turn it On...

But, as usual, to us, the ones with real solutions, the rest never listen to us....

Couldn't we go back to steam for a lot of stuff?

We never went away from it.

Most electricity generation is done by steam turbines - the choice is do we generate the steam by burning coal, gas, wood, oil, or refuse; or by nuclear fission; or by pumping water into hot rocks; or by parabolic mirrors concentrating the energy of the sun?

Non-steam generation technologies contribute a fairly small (if growing) fraction of total electricity generation. By far the largest of these is Hydro power, where the turbines are turned by liquid, rather than gaseous water.

according to Wikipedia:
In 2014, the share of world energy consumption for electricity generation by source was coal at 40.8%, natural gas at 21.6%, nuclear at 10.6%, hydro at 16.4%, other sources (solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, etc.) at 6.3% and oil at 4.3%. Coal and natural gas were the most used energy fuels for generating electricity.
In 2016 while total world energy came from 80% fossil fuels, 10% biofuels, 5% nuclear and 5% renewable (hydro, wind, solar, geothermal), only 18% of that total world energy was in the form of electricity. Most of the other 82% was used for heat and transportation.

Those 2014 figures add up to 77.3% stuff that makes steam, and 22.7% mostly stuff that doesn't make steam (of which almost three quarters [72%] was Hydro power; and which includes geothermal and biomass [and some of 'etc.'] which belong in the 'steam' column but are not broken out by Wikipedia). The non-steam, non-hydro fraction of electricity generation in 2014 would be in the order of about 2-4% of all power generated that year.

The 2016 figure includes lots of non-steam fossil fuel use (internal combustion engines, furnaces, etc); But the combined wind and solar figure there cannot be more than a few percent of the total - when rolled in with Hydro it is only 5%, and we saw above that Hydro was in the order of three quarters of that figure only two years earlier.

Last edited:
I am steam powered. Without a hot shower in the morning, I never really wake up.

I'm steam powered due to too much exposure to political news. I'm not a very efficient steam engine as most of it comes out of my ears.

This thread is running out of steam.
EB

I'm steam powered due to too much exposure to political news. I'm not a very efficient steam engine as most of it comes out of my ears.

If your head isn't spinning then the turbine's probably jammed. Try adding more grease to your diet.

The United States is far behind Europe in offshore wind-energy generation, but there are some efforts on the way, like Ørsted & Eversource Announce 200 Megawatt Connecticut Offshore Wind Farm | CleanTechnica -- alongside some plans for one off the southern shore of Massachusetts. The first US one to go into operation was  Block Island Wind Farm, a five-turbine pilot project that started operations in December 2016. However, the  Cape Wind project was recently abandoned. It was to be built off the southern shore of Cape Cod, but NIMBY's like the Kennedy family and one of the Koch brothers succeeded in litigating it to death.

Ørsted (or Oersted) is the new name of DONG Energy (Denmark Oil and Natural Gas), one that reflects its new focus. The name is from  Hans Christian Ørsted, someone notable for discovering that electric currents make magnetic fields around them.

Renewable Energy World - News, Resources, Companies, Jobs and more

First Floating US Wind Farm May Be Built Off California Coast - Renewable Energy World
An agency that leads sustainable energy efforts for cities and counties along the state’s Redwood Coast chose a consortium of companies -- including Energias de Portugal SA’s EDPR Offshore North America LLC and Principle Power Inc. -- to build a floating wind farm that may generate as much as 150 megawatts of power, according to a statement from EDPR. The group was one of six bidders, it said.

Energy Transition – The Global Energiewende
Will the Energiewende succeed? – Energy Transition
We could ask people: how would you like to improve your community?

Instead, the discussion roughly breaks down into three camps:
  • more technology is needed to save us from our current technology, and renewable energy alone will not suffice;
  • renewables will help us live within planetary boundaries at a high enough living standard; and
  • civilization is on a path to destruction because we will fail to do either of the above.
I roughly fall into the second category. While I don’t deny that we can screw this transition up, I like to remind people where happiness comes from: friendships and community. It specifically does not come from material well-being, at least not once a certain basic level of comfort has been attained (such as clean water, electricity, good housing, and personal safety). So the transition not only needs to reduce carbon emissions, but also strengthen communities and overcome the isolation that people increasingly suffer from (the British Minister for Loneliness could be a step in the right direction).

Green Technology | Clean Tech & Renewable Energy News
Trump Targets Chinese Wind, Battery and EV Imports, but With Limited US Impact | Greentech Media
The U.S.solar industry breathed a sigh of relief yesterday when Chinese-made solar cells and modules were not included on a list of products that could be subject to new Trump administration tariffs. Inverters were also absent.

Other clean energy technologies did make the list, but the U.S. market impacts appear to be modest.

India Added More Solar & Wind In 2017 Than Coal-Based Capacity | CleanTechnica India A Step Closer To First Offshore Wind Energy Auction | CleanTechnica

Renewable Energy In Kenya: Meeting The Needs Of An Expanding Population | CleanTechnica -- "Geothermal Renewable Energy in Kenya (8th in the world, with more on the way), Electrification of Kenya’s Trains Boosted by China, Race to Wind Power Part of Renewable Energy in Kenya, Small Solar Projects to Accomplish Big Returns in Kenya"

Tesla Model Y Competitors ... Vanadium Flow Batteries ... Gulf Stream Crisis ... (#CleanTechnica Top 20) | CleanTechnica
  • Tesla Model Y Expectations & Electric SUV/CUV Overview For The Year 2020
  • “The Future of Energy is Here” Panel Highlights Vanadium Flow Batteries
  • “It’s The Gulf Stream, Stupid!” Climate Scientists Warn Tipping Point Is Near.
  • Largest Tesla Supercharger Site In Netherlands Under Construction (#CleanTechnica Pics)
  • World’s Most Powerful Wind Turbine Installed At Vattenfall’s European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre
  • Volkswagen’s 1st Chinese EV — Built With JAC
  • China X Cleantech — Electric Bus Leadership, Hot EV Startups, Solar Domination, & Other Q1 2018 News
  • Tesla Model 3 — Already #1 In Small & Midsize Luxury Car Sales? (USA)
  • New Nissan LEAF Lands With A Bang In Europe (Europe Electric Car Sales Report)
  • Elon Musk Talks About Tesla Model 3 Production Challenges, Social Media Regulation (VIDEO)
  • Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Hints At Company’s Future
  • Chinese Battery Giant CATL To Become #1 EV Battery Producer By 2020?
  • Solar Smashes Wind In First German Technology-Neutral Tender
  • This Tiny Czech Company Could Have A Big Impact On Electric Car Industry
  • Top 10 Battery Companies For Chinese Electric Buses
  • BP Selects Tesla As Supplier For New Energy Storage System At Titan 1 Wind Energy Installation
  • How To Haggle For Your Next Electric Car, & Other #ChargingConversations
  • Solar+Storage Project In North Carolina Highlights Improvements In Panel Efficiency
  • Rumor: Tesla Model Y Production To Begin In November 2019
  • Secession Or Not, Big Win For Rooftop Solar In South Carolina

Electric Buses Are Hurting the Oil Industry - Bloomberg -- these are battery-powered buses and hybrid-electric ones, not electric trolleybuses, the kind of bus that gets its electricity from overhead cables.

Electric buses were seen as a joke at an industry conference in Belgium seven years ago when the Chinese manufacturer BYD Co. showed an early model. ...

Suddenly, buses with battery-powered motors are a serious matter with the potential to revolutionize city transport—and add to the forces reshaping the energy industry. ...

The numbers are staggering. China had about 99 percent of the 385,000 electric buses on the roads worldwide in 2017, accounting for 17 percent of the country’s entire fleet. Every five weeks, Chinese cities add 9,500 of the zero-emissions transporters—the equivalent of London’s entire working fleet, according Bloomberg New Energy Finance.
China got into electric buses because its cities are so smoggy, with about 1.6 million deaths a year attributed to that smog. Buses consume about 30 times as much fuel as cars, and to date, electric buses have displaced about 5 times as much fuel as electric cars.

Outside China, several cities have been acquiring electric buses, even if not as many as China.

This is worth mentioning in the context of renewable energy, because the most successful renewable sources make electricity.

Back
Top Bottom