• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Rise of Christian Nationalism

"Tribalism" is a pseudonym for nationalism. It means nothing outside of its use in modern political rhetoric.
Not really. Football fans are tribalistic but not necessarily nationalistic (unless they're following their national team).

Tribalism is very widespread, and certainly encompasses sub-national tribes, and probably some supra-national ones as well.

Remember the Oklahoma City bombing? Ruby Ridge? There were a string of political and law enforcement assassinations and robberies to fund the cause.
I did not realise that McVeigh detonated the Oklahoma bomb because he was a Christian.
I expect you will find a bible behind all of it somewhere. Yiuvare not likely to find any atheists and non Christians as part of the extreme right.

It would be like finding an atheist or Christian fighting alongside Al Quida or Taliban.

I was going to post this in politics, but since some of the posters here seem very interested in identifying religious groups that are dangerous or potentially dangerous, I thought I'd give an example of a movement that has the potential to threaten our democracy in some extreme ways. I do not view all Christians this way, but any ideology can become extreme and we are facing that possible threat today in the US.

You don't need to go far to find examples of dangerous or potentially dangerous religiosity. Here are two examples from right here on this board:

My guess is that they cannot concede that they are wrong and give up the battle knowing that they will not convert me.
That's delusional horseshit.

Fritz left for the reason he said. I pos-rep'd that post because I agree with his point. He's done the best thing for himself, as there's nothing to learn from automatons who only repeat clichéd bullshit that they picked up on the Net from 15, 20 years ago.

and

Picture a guy who reeks to high heaven so people "beat a hasty retreat". His best guess of why they "flee" is because of how awesome he is.

You're like that.
I should point out that aside from myself, nobody responded to this angry, hate-filled rhetoric aimed at me because of my views on religion. Ironically, the response to my views that religion can lead to antisocial behavior in the religious resulted in antisocial behavior in a religious person!

So the moral of the story is that the ills of religion are to be blamed in part by the reluctance of people to speak out against those ills. No doubt many people are afraid to criticize religion because they fear the backlash from religion, or they simply "don't want to get involved." Religion tends to enjoy a privileged status in most societies where openly criticizing it is frowned upon or worse. This privileged status can and often does lead to the greater likelihood of people being hurt by religion.
You probably know by now that I disagree with you on several points. If you read the WaPo article, you would realize that the Freethought caucus is made up of both atheists and religious folks. I strongly disagree that all religion has a negative influence on us. Humans have always been drawn to mythology and other unproven concepts. Sometimes these beliefs become extreme, but that happens among secular ideology as well. Communism might sound good on paper to some, but it's never worked out well when it's been tried in a large society. Atheist communists have sometimes wreaked havoc on the innocent, but I don't want to get that sidetracked so I'll leave it at that.

But, I do think that this uprising of White Christian Nationalists could be a threat to our democracy, which is why I thought it might be worth discussing.

The Freethought Caucus was launched in 2018 to “protect the secular character of our government” and has 16 members.
The virtual briefing, which was not open to the public and included more than 50 members, staff and experts, focused on a new, 66-page report about the role of Christian nationalism in the Capitol attack, and on its “implications for the future of Democracy,” an announcement for the event read. Its goal was to bring awareness to Americans about what the caucus sees as the threats of Christian nationalism, organizers told The Washington Post.
The report was released Feb. 9 and is a project of the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty and the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF). It chronicles in exhaustive detail the art, signs, flags, jewelry, spoken words and even a gallows that protesters brought Jan. 6 that cited Jesus and Christianity. It also talks about various nonprofit groups, lawmakers and clergy who worked together to adorn Jan. 6 and Donald Trump’s effort to overturn his electoral loss with theological fervor. It talks about the important role of race.

That quote is from the WaPo article. As you can see, there are even Baptists in this group. I have many Christian friends and they are all wonderful people who even sometimes use their beliefs for positive things. If you want to do something positive for atheism, be an example of positivity as you interact with people. That's how we change the negative image of atheists. We don't do it by judging others and trying to convince them to leave their religions. I am always pleased when atheists and religious folks work together for the common good. But, I digress. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Remember the Oklahoma City bombing? Ruby Ridge? There were a string of political and law enforcement assassinations and robberies to fund the cause.
I did not realise that McVeigh detonated the Oklahoma bomb because he was a Christian.
I expect you will find a bible behind all of it somewhere. Yiuvare not likely to find any atheists and non Christians as part of the extreme right.

It would be like finding an atheist or Christian fighting alongside Al Quida or Taliban.
Actually, McVeigh identified as an agnostic. I can't prove that to you, but I watched an interview of him shortly before he was executed. He was asked about the after life and he said that he didn't believe there was an afterlife and he doubted there was a god. He was asked how he would handle it, if he was wrong. He answered something like he would do his best to cope. I remember that interview well because I was surprised by what McVeigh said. I'm sure there are other atheists who are harmful, to one degree or another. Atheists don't own the moral high ground any more than any other group does.

Oh wait. I found something on McVeigh

https://winteryknight.com/2010/10/25/was-oklahoma-city-bomber-timothy-mcveigh-a-christian/

Question from chat room: Does McVeigh have any spiritual-religious beliefs?
Lou Michel: McVeigh is agnostic. He doesn’t believe in God, but he won’t rule out the possibility. I asked him, “What if there is a heaven and hell?”
He said that once he crosses over the line from life to death, if there is something on the other side, he will — and this is using his military jargon — “adapt, improvise, and overcome.” Death to him is all part of the adventure.

Actually, McVeigh identified as an agnostic. I can't prove that to you, but I watched an interview of him shortly before he was executed. He was asked about the after life and he said that he didn't believe there was an afterlife and he doubted there was a god. He was asked how he would handle it, if he was wrong. He answered something like he would do his best to cope. I remember that interview well because I was surprised by what McVeigh said. I'm sure there are other atheists who are harmful, to one degree or another. Atheists don't own the moral high ground any more than any other group does.
As I recall, he was raised Catholic, came to find that that tradition and its hierarchy too cloying, but maintained some supernatural beliefs. His core motivation in his terrorist activities were fear and paranoia concerning the federal government, however, not any sort of religious or anti-religious activism. He was specifically mtivated by a desire for revenge concerning the Waco incident which for the fringe Right was a political moment akin to 9/11; the moment the gloves came off and the federal government began openly persecuting and executing her white citizens.

It is a frightening worldview, and though this may not have applied to McVeigh, plenty of modern white nationalist groups have found ways to syncretize their political project with the existing social power and influence of rural non-denominational Christian movements, often by co-opting and reusing pre-existing theological justifications that have been in use since Bleeding Kansas.

Religion is adapted to maximize power and followers. Religion is always part of politics going back to the beginnings of civilization.

More correctly religion is an insuperable part of culture. Culture is art of national identity, today Russia and China. China craves a modern global identity as a peer distinct from America and the west. Putin is about restoration, in Pitin's mind of a Russian national cultural idenity.

Protestant vs Catholic under Henry 8th. Protestant vs Catholic in North Ireland.

Christianity as a national American identity existed from the start.

As son as someone with beliefs says this is what I belive it automacly infers an identity different from others. When you claim a nation is ordained by god then that is the strongest identity.

The Pledge Of Alliegiance, one nation under god. Coinage, In God We Trust.

As we've briefly mentioned, the motto “In God We Trust” was placed on United States coins due to the increased religious sentiment during the Civil War and first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin.Dec 7, 2021

It is coming to head today for a number of reasons, but it is not new.

Who said it was new? Even the article in the OP mentioned previous examples of Christian Nationalism. The questions I was hoping to discuss are things like: Is it dangerous? How concerned should we be about the many Christian Nationalists currently in office or planning on running for office? If it is potentially very dangerous, how can it be stopped? Will moderate and liberal believers be willing to help defeat it? I was pleased to learn about the Freethought group that is a mix of atheists and Christians who are planning on fighting this extreme version of Christianity that wants to impose its beliefs on the country, in hopes of forming a theocracy? Are they totally unhinged for thinking this is possible? Or is it possible that we could be heading in that direction, or will only certain areas become impacted by this movement?

I have mixed feelings regarding its danger. On the one hand, it does seem a bit concerning. On the other hand, I'd like to believe it's a very small minority who are pushing for this. But, we do have quite a few people holding powerful political positions who seem to support this extremism. Should we be concerned as atheists? I've read numerous articles on this topic over the last few months, which is what made me interested in the topic and wondering how others felt about the potential harm of White Christian Nationalism.

I was going to post this in politics, but since some of the posters here seem very interested in identifying religious groups that are dangerous or potentially dangerous, I thought I'd give an example of a movement that has the potential to threaten our democracy in some extreme ways. I do not view all Christians this way, but any ideology can become extreme and we are facing that possible threat today in the US.

You don't need to go far to find examples of dangerous or potentially dangerous religiosity. Here are two examples from right here on this board:

My guess is that they cannot concede that they are wrong and give up the battle knowing that they will not convert me.

Fritz left for the reason he said. I pos-rep'd that post because I agree with his point. He's done the best thing for himself, as there's nothing to learn from automatons who only repeat clichéd bullshit that they picked up on the Net from 15, 20 years ago.

and

Picture a guy who reeks to high heaven so people "beat a hasty retreat". His best guess of why they "flee" is because of how awesome he is.

You're like that.
I should point out that aside from myself, nobody responded to this angry, hate-filled rhetoric aimed at me because of my views on religion. Ironically, the response to my views that religion can lead to antisocial behavior in the religious resulted in antisocial behavior in a religious person!

So the moral of the story is that the ills of religion are to be blamed in part by the reluctance of people to speak out against those ills. No doubt many people are afraid to criticize religion because they fear the backlash from religion, or they simply "don't want to get involved." Religion tends to enjoy a privileged status in most societies where openly criticizing it is frowned upon or worse. This privileged status can and often does lead to the greater likelihood of people being hurt by religion.
You probably know by now that I disagree with you on several points. If you read the WaPo article, you would realize that the Freethought caucus is made up of both atheists and religious folks. I strongly disagree that all religion has a negative influence on us. Humans have always been drawn to mythology and other unproven concepts. Sometimes these beliefs become extreme, but that happens among secular ideology as well. Communism might sound good on paper to some, but it's never worked out well when it's been tried in a large society. Atheist communists have sometimes wreaked havoc on the innocent, but I don't want to get that sidetracked so I'll leave it at that.

But, I do think that this uprising of White Christian Nationalists could be a threat to our democracy, which is why I thought it might be worth discussing.

The Freethought Caucus was launched in 2018 to “protect the secular character of our government” and has 16 members.
The virtual briefing, which was not open to the public and included more than 50 members, staff and experts, focused on a new, 66-page report about the role of Christian nationalism in the Capitol attack, and on its “implications for the future of Democracy,” an announcement for the event read. Its goal was to bring awareness to Americans about what the caucus sees as the threats of Christian nationalism, organizers told The Washington Post.
The report was released Feb. 9 and is a project of the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty and the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF). It chronicles in exhaustive detail the art, signs, flags, jewelry, spoken words and even a gallows that protesters brought Jan. 6 that cited Jesus and Christianity. It also talks about various nonprofit groups, lawmakers and clergy who worked together to adorn Jan. 6 and Donald Trump’s effort to overturn his electoral loss with theological fervor. It talks about the important role of race.

That quote is from the WaPo article. As you can see, there are even Baptists in this group. I have many Christian friends and they are all wonderful people who even sometimes use their beliefs for positive things. If you want to do something positive for atheism, be an example of positivity as you interact with people. That's how we change the negative image of atheists. We don't do it by judging others and trying to convince them to leave their religions. I am always pleased when atheists and religious folks work together for the common good. But, I digress. Sorry about that.
You didn't respond to anything I said, so I will return the favor.

That's what you are complaining about?
No, he said a lot more than that on at least three different occasions, two of which I've posted on this thread.
I'd say that is somebody making a point with emphasis.
You can call it what you want, but I call it boorish personal abuse resorted to when logic and facts are unavailable to support the position that religion does not have a negative effect on people. It was nice of him, though, to prove that religion does have an antisocial effect on people!
There are bounds and limits to criticsim but IMO that is well below the threshold.
Then when some jerk curses at you and abuses you, then I will wave it away as as "well below the threshold."
The thing to do is start a theard on provate feedback and talk it over with the mods, if it something you think is wrong. Or yiu can hit the report button.
This is an example of that "don't get involved" attitude that is so prevalent in our society whenever some other person is being victimized. What will you do when you are the victim and nobody "gets involved"?

I don't think it is god tellimhg the right to rebel or get violent.

The Christian right perceives or interprets any legal restraints placed on religion as a violation of the 1st Amendment. For example a Christian business being forced to serve gays or not rejecting employment applications based on sexuality.

You can here it on FOX. Secular or atheist science out to destroy religion.

Government and society around them perceived as hostile directly against religion.

In their view the 1st Amendment means absolutely no bounds on relgion. The practce of relhgion is interpreted to mean all aspects of their faith, inc;uding excluding gays from public business. Carried to today's extrems anything they do not like becomes amtter of faith, such as religious exemptions for vaccinations.

You can here it in the evangelical TV and radio speech.

That's what you are complaining about?
No, he said a lot more than that on at least three different occasions, two of which I've posted on this thread.
I'd say that is somebody making a point with emphasis.
You can call it what you want, but I call it boorish personal abuse resorted to when logic and facts are unavailable to support the position that religion does not have a negative effect on people. It was nice of him, though, to prove that religion does have an antisocial effect on people!
There are bounds and limits to criticsim but IMO that is well below the threshold.
Then when some jerk curses at you and abuses you, then I will wave it away as as "well below the threshold."
The thing to do is start a theard on provate feedback and talk it over with the mods, if it something you think is wrong. Or yiu can hit the report button.
This is an example of that "don't get involved" attitude that is so prevalent in our society whenever some other person is being victimized. What will you do when you are the victim and nobody "gets involved"?
Like I said hit the report button or take it up with mods on private feedback. It is against forum policy to discuss specific moderation issues for a good reason. It gets oput of hand.

Personalty on an anonymous forum where I do not personaly know anyone I do not get bent out of shape by what anyone posts. That woud be irrational. If anything I have a good laugh.

Like I said hit the report button or take it up with mods on private feedback. It is against forum policy to discuss specific moderation issues for a good reason. It gets oput of hand.
You're missing my point. We're not discussing how to handle online troublemakers but are discussing the potential of religious harm and violence. I posted an example of such potential on the part of a board member to demonstrate just how "up close and personal" the potential of religious violence can be. Religious violence doesn't always happen far away to people you'll never know but can happen to anybody. As a child and even as a young adult I was victimized by the religious and often violently. It's plain foolhardy to turn a blind eye to it.
Personalty on an anonymous forum where I do not personaly know anyone I do not get bent out of shape by what anyone posts. That woud be irrational. If anything I have a good laugh.
You won't be laughing if you become a victim of religious violence.

@Unknown Soldier,

You're derailing this thread. I'm an atheist, I'm not religious, and there is no "religiosity" or "religious violence" at all in the posts you're complaining about. My dig at you was for misrepresenting a fellow board member to try to manipulate responses from other atheists. Exactly like you're doing here. So, go complain to the moderators if you want help with your problem with me and stop derailing this thread.

Last edited:

and

You're like that.

You didn't respond to anything I said, so I will return the favor.
Okay.

You're missing my point. We're not discussing how to handle online troublemakers but are discussing the potential of religious harm and violence. I posted an example of such potential on the part of a board member to demonstrate just how "up close and personal" the potential of religious violence can be. Religious violence doesn't always happen far away to people you'll never know but can happen to anybody. As a child and even as a young adult I was victimized by the religious and often violently. It's plain foolhardy to turn a blind eye to it.
You won't be laughing if you become a victim of religious violence.
What is the potential harm beyond what we already know and see?

You are the one complaining about people disagreeing with you. As you sads about Evangelists you are not here to make friends...right?

The thread should be moved to politics.

I am usually left of center, on this I am on the right.

A 90s term for a Christian faction was the 'Moral Majority' led by Jerry Falwell.

Progressives set themselves up as a new 'Moral Majority' presuming to dictate morality and culture. I oppose both extremes.

The progressive side believes they are beyond criticism. as to moraloty no less then the right. Any criticism of the progesives is automatically labeled bigotry, racism, and of course nonsense.

As to the OP conservative politicians run on appointing federal judges and SCOUTUS based on religious values. Trump promised Chrtians he would appoint pro life SCOTUS judges. The left does exactly the same.

If somebody thinks there is going to be an armed assault in large numbers by Christians that is not going to happen.

Conservative federal judges, governors and secretary of states refused to do Trump's bidding.

You're derailing this thread.
No I'm not.
I'm an atheist, I'm not religious, and there is no "religiosity" or "religious violence" at all in the posts you're complaining about.
Regardless of what you call yourself, your posts can be read by anybody on this board. You can't change what you posted.
My dig at you was for misrepresenting a fellow board member to try to manipulate responses from other atheists.
Your "dig" was a cruel insult that was completely uncalled for, and I didn't misrepresent anybody.
Exactly like you're doing here.
I posted what you said word-for-word along with links to where you said it. Anybody can check to see that I'm not misrepresenting anybody.
So, go complain to the moderators if you want help with your problem with me and stop derailing this thread.
Actually, I'm really not complaining. I want people to read what those who defend religion have to say. I'm opposed to censorship. So whenever somebody says something you disagree with, go ahead and curse at him, call him names, misrepresent him, and tell him he stinks. I can take it, and people can read it and come to their own conclusions.

But it appears you don't have much to worry about. You've hit the jackpot on this board. Aside from myself, nobody cares about that kind of behavior. I do care, and that's what makes makes me so unpopular.

Killing, torture, and destruction are and have been the results of religious animosity.
You are the one complaining about people disagreeing with you.
LOL--I never once complained about people disagreeing with me.
As you sads about Evangelists you are not here to make friends...right?
I'm not here to make friends, and I don't understand what that has to do with what I said about evangelists.

Killing, torture, and destruction are and have been the results of religious animosity.
Killing, torture, and destruction is related to those who hold absolute power, not necessarily just religions in power. Atheist nations like the old Soviet Union, China, Kampuchea, and North Korea have killed and oppressed millions often starting by purging the religious.

I agree with you that I don't want to see a theocracy take control but then I don't want to see any group dedicated to some -ism they force everyone to agree with in absolute power either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom