• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Rise of Christian Nationalism

What is the potential harm beyond what we already know and see?
Killing, torture, and destruction are and have been the results of religious animosity.
Killing, torture, and destruction is related to those who hold absolute power, not necessarily just religions in power. Atheist nations like the old Soviet Union, China, Kampuchea, and North Korea have killed and oppressed millions often starting by purging the religious.
That's very true. Are you saying that violent secular groups excuse violent religious groups? If we are discussing religious violence, then I don't see how nonreligious violence is relevant. It would be like a defense attorney telling the jury that although her client is a killer, many other people are killers too!
I agree with you that I don't want to see a theocracy take control but then I don't want to see any group dedicated to some -ism they force everyone to agree with in absolute power either.
I never advocated any group seizing absolute power. What you're saying here is very presumptuous.

What is the potential harm beyond what we already know and see?
Killing, torture, and destruction are and have been the results of religious animosity.
Killing, torture, and destruction is related to those who hold absolute power, not necessarily just religions in power. Atheist nations like the old Soviet Union, China, Kampuchea, and North Korea have killed and oppressed millions often starting by purging the religious.
That's very true. Are you saying that violent secular groups excuse violent religious groups? If we are discussing religious violence, then I don't see how nonreligious violence is relevant. It would be like a defense attorney telling the jury that although her client is a killer, many other people are killers too!
You are misstating what I wrote. I am proposing only condemning those who actually are violent, not everyone who holds some of the same same beliefs as the violent ones. To use your analogy, you are saying that your stand would be like a DA prosecuting the accused as a killer because they belong to the same community as someone who did kill someone.

I am saying that it isn't religion itself that is the problem we both see. The problem is extremist people of any ideology that gain power. The key is extremists who want power.
I agree with you that I don't want to see a theocracy take control but then I don't want to see any group dedicated to some -ism they force everyone to agree with in absolute power either.
I never advocated any group seizing absolute power. What you're saying here is very presumptuous.
Where the fuck did I say that you advocated some group seizing absolute power?

Killing, torture, and destruction is related to those who hold absolute power, not necessarily just religions in power. Atheist nations like the old Soviet Union, China, Kampuchea, and North Korea have killed and oppressed millions often starting by purging the religious

The idea that Christians in the USA will become a Middle Ages kind of theocracy makes asmuch sense as conservatives claiming liberals are going to be ring about communism.

My point has always been all along given powr atheists and theists are no more or less abusers of power than the other.

There has been violence by organized Christianity in the USA. Biblical justification of slavery and Jim Crow .Bombing of abortion clinics and I recall murder of an abortion doctor.

While I detest some of the aspects of American Christians it does not rise to the level you seem to infer.

I expect if the roles were reversed in the USA Christians would be treated badly by atheists. It is human nature. Power corrupts.

And kids can be fussy and get into endless tit for tat insults, not like us adults right?

And kids can be fussy and get into endless tit for tat insults, not like us adults right?
Yabbut, making an issue about four-letter words is an unmistakeable sign of maturity.
I, for one, talk to people like that, face to face, face to screen, face to phone, face to wife, face to kids, face to employer, graphic bible-based-fanfiction....

It's really not the salient fucking detail of the utterance for anyone without pearls to clutch.

Surely there are sites that prohibit bad words like fuck, no?

Where the fuck did I say that you advocated some group seizing absolute power?
Do you talk to people like that in person? Clean up your language, and you might get a response.
Ah, the tone police again. :rolleyes:
Kids like to use four-letter words to see if they can get away with it. I see that some of those kids are here on this board.
Hermit is Australian. We don't have the puritanical response to colourful language that remains common in the US; Everyone here uses expletives a lot, and you will know when someone lacks respect for you, by their lack of 'offensive' language.

If you expect people from other cultures to act in accordance with the idiosyncrasies of your own, you're going to spend a lot of time taking needless and futile offence at the way they express themselves, to the detriment of your ability to understand their arguments or learn from the interaction.

I have a vague hypothesis that the linguistic prescriptions against foul language are in fact a deliberate, rather than accidental, barrier to communication; If you condition your followers to ignore people who breach arbitrary rules about 'bad' language, then you automatically shield them from exposure to rival viewpoints, because members of outgroups simply don't comply with a ruleset they were never indoctrinated to.

TL;DR: Get fucked, there's nothing wrong with saying "fuck" for emphasis. It's a sign of maturity and wisdom.

I have a vague hypothesis that the linguistic prescriptions against foul language
Now that's funny. The image of my doctor watching me hacking between two spreadsheets and the AIM database...then saying,
"I'm gonna prescribe two euphemisms i want you to try using in your daily diet. 'Fudge' and 'witch.' You can probably figure out where."

I have a vague hypothesis that the linguistic prescriptions against foul language
Now that's funny. The image of my doctor watching me hacking between two spreadsheets and the AIM database...then saying,
"I'm gonna prescribe two euphemisms i want you to try using in your daily diet. 'Fudge' and 'witch.' You can probably figure out where."
*proscriptions

I have a black belt in Thai-Po.

Well, y'all have really fucked up this shitty thread and made it into a discussion about those naughty fricatives, which some studies claim help us deal with stress and anxiety. Nurses use those words all the fucking time. How the fuck would we be able to deal with the fucking stress that comes with our jobs? How else could we deal with some MDs, who are assholes?

And, btw, Aussies, we Murkins don't have much trouble using those words. although when they are over used, they sometimes lose their value and effectiveness. I've had many Christian friends who let the fucks fly. Only the fragile are fearful of those words. My sweet little evangelical Christian mom said those words were like cutting her with a knife, so I abstained when around her, for the most part. Still, it's a bit surprising to find one who feels offended by a word like fuck on a Freethought discussion board. :hehe:

Anyway, I think I'll go and read some more info about the fucking White Christian Nationalists who are trying to fuck us over. 🤔 Hopefully, since Virginia Thomas has been outed as one of them, we will be more concerned about their possible rise to power. I don't fucking believe for a minute that Clarence didn't know what his wife was up to! I mean.....the woman literally brought her Jesus, the King of Kings into her attempts to overturn an election. Now, that's some shit!

Anyway, I think I'll go and read some more info about the fucking White Christian Nationalists who are trying to fuck us over. 🤔 Hopefully, since Virginia Thomas has been outed as one of them, we will be more concerned about their possible rise to power. I don't fucking believe for a minute that Clarence didn't know what his wife was up to! I mean.....the woman literally brought her Jesus, the King of Kings into her attempts to overturn an election. Now, that's some shit!
I'm mean, I guess I can see where a motherfucking monarch would be opposed to free and fair elections...

Kids like to use four-letter words to see if they can get away with it. I see that some of those kids are here on this board.
I am not a kid, and I say fuck quite often to express exasperation or to emphasize something I am saying. There is nothing wrong with saying fuck, and you should try it sometime. Helps you deal with stress.

Fucity fuck fuck fuckity fuck. I feel much better now.

Saying fuck for the sake of sating ftuck is let me think....choldish?

A kid cn lern parents respnd when they say a word like fuck without knowing meaning. They just get off at upsetting parenr-ts.

Back
Top Bottom