• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, and aftermath

Why should the city pay them one red cent? Even if police made tactical mistakes, the main cause of Scott's death are Scott's own actions.
Please produce the autopsy report with that listed as the main cause of death. I'll bet the autopsy lists the main cause of death as gunshot wounds.

One can be equally pedantic in the other direction.

Cause of death was internal bleeding. The real fault is with Scott's internal organs failing to operate. How can you blame others for Scott's failings?

Please produce the autopsy report with that listed as the main cause of death. I'll bet the autopsy lists the main cause of death as gunshot wounds.

Of course that is true.
Cause of death was internal bleeding. The real fault is with Scott's internal organs failing to operate. How can you blame others for Scott's failings?
"Equally pedantic" ios not "incredibly moronic": internal organs do not make choices between alternatives.

Has there been a civil suit and any agreement reached in this case? The autopsy would only be useful if there was disagreement about what happened at the death, and this case it's not.

Of course that is true.
"Equally pedantic" ios not "incredibly moronic": internal organs do not make choices between alternatives.

... neither do bullets. So, we can agree then that it is people that are making choices, right? not the organs, and not the bullets... people.

There were two people involved here... Scott, and the cop... why are you insisting on ignoring one?

Of course that is true.

... neither do bullets. So, we can agree then that it is people that are making choices, right? not the organs, and not the bullets... people.

There were two people involved here... Scott, and the cop... why are you insisting on ignoring one?
Derec claimed the main cause of Scott's death are his own actions. His actions did not cause his death. The over-reaction by the police was the main cause of his death. They did not have to shoot him. Really, how hard is this to understand?

Of course that is true.

Derec claimed the main cause of Scott's death are his own actions. His actions did not cause his death. The over-reaction by the police was the main cause of his death. They did not have to shoot him. Really, how hard is this to understand?

That's the part we disagree on. That's why I asked if a civil case has been opened yet. The burden of proof in a civil case is lower than a criminal case and they can bring in other arguments for a civil case.

Of course that is true.

Oh I understand what you are saying, I am simply disagreeing (sidenote: it is a sign of a week argument to claim a person that disagrees must simply not understand).

We agree that there were two people involved. You say it was entirely the cop's actions that led to his death, due to the final action being by the cop. No one says it was entirely Scott's actions. What people are saying (and I am saying too) is that is was MOSTLY Scott's actions that led to his death.

Why not claim that the dispatcher at the police station was the cause of death? It was that person that sent the cops there.
Why not claim that the person dialing 911 that day was the cause of death? The dispatcher would never have sent a cop over there.
The cop was a very small step away from "the gun". He was just the operator, following standard operating procedures.

Of course that is true.

Oh I understand what you are saying, I am simply disagreeing (sidenote: it is a sign of a week argument to claim a person that disagrees must simply not understand).
It is a sign of weak response to make such claim.
We agree that there were two people involved. You say it was entirely the cop's actions that led to his death, due to the final action being by the cop.
No, I am not. I wrote "The over-reaction by the police was the main cause (emphasis added)of his death." - which clearly does not claim that the it was entirely the police's action that led to Mr. Lamont's death. Really, how hard is that to understand?

Of course that is true.

We agree that there were two people involved. You say it was entirely the cop's actions that led to his death, due to the final action being by the cop.
No, I am not. I wrote "The over-reaction by the police was the main cause (emphasis added)of his death." - which clearly does not claim that the it was entirely the police's action that led to Mr. Lamont's death. Really, how hard is that to understand?

So you then you do agree that Scott contributed to his own death through his own actions. Fine.

Of course that is true.

So you then you do agree that Scott contributed to his own death through his own actions. Fine.

I think it's pretty rare that a cop (in the US anyway) simply walks up to someone and shoots them. The person who gets shot is almost always doing something besides sleeping... and if they do not have the ill intent that should be required for a lethal response, they usually don't have any idea - or the inclination to consider - how their actions appear to the cop.
That said, it doesn't mean that cops' actions are "almost always" the best actions, even if they are technically legal. IMHO there is a LOT of room for improvement in situational training, non-lethal means of incapacitating suspects etc.. I deal with lots-o-cops, and feel that the vast majority deal with confrontations as well as they can. And most would agree with my statements above.

That's the part we disagree on. That's why I asked if a civil case has been opened yet. The burden of proof in a civil case is lower than a criminal case and they can bring in other arguments for a civil case.
I think the family shysters will try to sue, and I hope Charlotte fights it and does not just give them millions of dollars like some other cities have done and like they have done in other cases.
Family attorney of Keith Lamont Scott discusses possible civil suit

Last edited:
I think the family shysters will try to sue, and I hope Charlotte fights it and does not just give them millions of dollars like some other cities have done and like they have done in other cases.
Family attorney of Keith Lamont Scott discusses possible civil suit

You're right, they should take it from the officers involved specifically.

Back
Top Bottom