• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The trials of the Capitol assaulters

Ryan told Insider the backlash had made her afraid to speak her mind.
Opinions are like assholes. They can be examined. When an expert (or the entire fucking internet) tells you there's something wrong with yours, you might want to pay attention to them.

Capitol Rioter Boasted About Being White, Blond, Now Says Silenced
  • In March, Jenna Ryan tweeted that she wouldn't be imprisoned because she's white and blond.
  • She received a lot of backlash for the tweet, which a judge cited during her sentencing.
  • Ryan told Insider the backlash had made her afraid to speak her mind.
What a big baby.
Afraid to speak her mind? We speak our minds all the time! We don't break into the Capitol Bldg trying to get the guy we want re-elected!

JUST IN: Marjorie Taylor Greene Leads Group Demanding 'Justice' For Jan. 6 Detainees - YouTube
"Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, along with Rep. Matt Gaetz, Rep. Paul Gosar and Rep. Louie Gohmert held a press conference Tuesday to call on justice for the detainees of the January 6th Capitol attack."

Does anyone else find it amusing when right-wingers act like card-carrying members of the ACLU?
Less funny when these allegedly pro-Police people are rallying for justice for the people that assaulted the police.

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WFLA) – Florida resident Robert Palmer was sentenced to 63 months in prison on Friday in connection with the Jan. 6 insurrection in Washington D.C. where he was seen on video throwing a fire extinguisher and other items at Capitol police officers.

Palmer’s 63-month sentence is the longest sentence any of the suspects arrested so far have received.

That's more like it. Still quite the injustice that the minion dupes get locked away while their mob boss waddles around free.

Cleveland Meredith sentenced to 28 months for threats to Nancy Pelosi in D.C. - The Washington Post - "Cleveland Meredith Jr. repeatedly texted family and friends saying he hoped to shoot Pelosi and assault the nation’s capital"
As Cleveland G. Meredith Jr., a devoted follower of the radical QAnon ideology, drove toward the nation’s capital from Colorado on Jan. 6 with a cache of guns, 2,500 rounds of ammunition and high-capacity magazines, he repeatedly texted his family and friends ominous sentiments. One message said he was “gonna collect a … ton of Traitors heads.”

When a family member responded that President Donald Trump wanted him to go home, Meredith strongly disagreed and said: “he wants HEADS and I’m gonna deliver.” Meredith didn’t arrive in Washington until late that night, but the next day he informed his family that he was considering shooting both D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), twice texting that he was considering “putting a bullet in her [Pelosi’s] noggin on live TV.”

His family called the FBI.
He was soon arrested, and he was recently sentenced to 28 months in prison.

US District Judge Amy Berman Jackson:
In a 50-minute analysis of Meredith’s case, Jackson pointedly read aloud every text message listed by prosecutors in a sentencing brief, many of them vulgar, to emphasize her view that “the level of discourse in this country has become so debased and degraded.” The judge said that Meredith truly was “strategizing on best way to assault this city,” as he wrote in one text on Jan. 7.

“It is not patriotism,” the judge told Meredith, “it is not standing up for America and it is not justified to descend on the nation’s capital at the direction of a disappointed candidate and threaten members of the other party. Canceling out the votes of others at the point of a gun is the utter antithesis of what America stands for, it is the definition of tyranny and authoritarianism.”
He lived in Hayesville, NC, and he went to Colorado to spend some time with his ex-wife and his sons. He brought some guns and ammo with him. Judge ABJ noted that 1000 rounds of armor-piercing ammo, high-capacity ammo magazines, and an assault rifle with a telescopic sight were likely not needed for target practice with his kids.
Starting on Jan. 4, Meredith began driving toward Washington with his weapons and his ATVs, which he said in some texts he might need to break through to the U.S. Capitol. “We’re gonna surround DC and slowly constrict,” Meredith wrote.
All-terrain vehicles, presumably in the back of his pickup truck or in a trailer. I don't see how those would be very useful in an urban environment.
In 2018, Meredith erected a billboard in Acworth, Ga., that read, “#QANON,” telling the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he was “a patriot among the millions who love this country.”
But on his way to DC, his truck broke down, and he did not reach DC in time for the action.
While en route, he wrote, “3.5 hours until target practice.” A family member responded, “Please stop talking like that.”

The next day, Meredith sent texts such as, “I may wander over to the mayor’s office and put a 5.56 in her skull” and “Thinking about heading over to Pelosi … speech and putting a bullet in her noggin on live TV,” court records show. Later that afternoon, not far from the Capitol, he got into a fight with a passenger in a car, which had stopped in front of him, and was charged with assault. When he returned to his hotel in Southwest Washington and continued to text threats, which his lawyer noted were not sent to any of the targets, his family called the FBI.

Ashli Babbitt ‘rammed SUV three times into car of future husband’s girlfriend’
The first time Celeste Norris laid eyes on Ashli Babbitt, the future insurrectionist had just rammed her vehicle three times with an SUV and was pounding on the window, challenging her to a fight.

Norris says the bad blood between them began in 2015, when Babbitt engaged in a monthslong extramarital affair with Norris’ longtime live-in boyfriend. When she learned of the relationship, Norris called Babbitt’s husband and told him she was cheating.

“She pulls up yelling and screaming,” Norris said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, recounting the July 29, 2016, road-rage incident in Prince Frederick, Maryland “It took me a good 30 seconds to figure out who she was. … Just all sorts of expletives, telling me to get out of the car, that she was going to beat my ass.”
She was then charged with several misdemeanors.
A case report from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office obtained by the AP shows Ashli Babbitt was issued a criminal summons on charges of reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor punishable by up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine. She was also charged with malicious destruction of property for the damage to Norris’ vehicle.

Court records show those charges were later updated to include traffic offenses — reckless driving, negligent driving and failure to control a vehicle’s speed to avoid a collision.

Photos from the scene provided to the AP by Norris show Babbitt’s white Ford Explorer with its front bumper smashed in. The SUV’s grill is also pushed in and the hood dented. The rear bumper of Norris’ Escape is pushed in on the passenger side, with the detached Maryland license plate from the front bumper of Babbitt’s SUV wedged into it.

Norris later got a judicial order that barred Ashli Babbitt from attempting to contact Norris, committing further acts of violence against her and going to her home or workplace.
Almost like Lauren Boebert.

The first time Celeste Norris laid eyes on Ashli Babbitt, the future insurrectionist had just rammed her vehicle three times with an SUV and was pounding on the window, challenging her to a fight.

Norris says the bad blood between them began in 2015, when Babbitt engaged in a monthslong extramarital affair with Norris’ longtime live-in boyfriend. When she learned of the relationship, Norris called Babbitt’s husband and told him she was cheating.

“She pulls up yelling and screaming,” Norris said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, recounting the July 29, 2016, road-rage incident in Prince Frederick, Maryland “It took me a good 30 seconds to figure out who she was. … Just all sorts of expletives, telling me to get out of the car, that she was going to beat my ass.”
A case report from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office obtained by the AP shows Ashli Babbitt was issued a criminal summons on charges of reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor punishable by up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine. She was also charged with malicious destruction of property for the damage to Norris’ vehicle.

Court records show those charges were later updated to include traffic offenses — reckless driving, negligent driving and failure to control a vehicle’s speed to avoid a collision.

Photos from the scene provided to the AP by Norris show Babbitt’s white Ford Explorer with its front bumper smashed in. The SUV’s grill is also pushed in and the hood dented. The rear bumper of Norris’ Escape is pushed in on the passenger side, with the detached Maryland license plate from the front bumper of Babbitt’s SUV wedged into it.

Norris later got a judicial order that barred Ashli Babbitt from attempting to contact Norris, committing further acts of violence against her and going to her home or workplace.

A perfect right wing heroine.

Boebert's record is much longer.

30% of Americans regard the J6 criminals and traitors as "heroes," and the cops who protected Congressmen's lives as the "enemy." Astli Babbitt was a dainty Republican philosopher who never hurt a soul, but who was murdered in cold blood by a cop. A BLACK cop who probably voted for Hillary and wears a Covid mask to show his contempt for the true President.

The first time Celeste Norris laid eyes on Ashli Babbitt, the future insurrectionist had just rammed her vehicle three times with an SUV and was pounding on the window, challenging her to a fight....

Court records show those charges were later updated to include traffic offenses — reckless driving, negligent driving and failure to control a vehicle’s speed to avoid a collision....

A perfect right wing heroine.

Maybe. Should we ask some right-wingers?

Or Ashli Babbitt.

Ashli Babbitt wasn't running away. She was actively engaged in an armed insurrection--treason, in fact. ...

There’s video of this, ya know? Showing armed police right behind her. She wasn’t a physical threat to anyone.... Yet, you’re okay killing her because you disagree with her politically.
So felony trespassing and destruction with the intention of murdering elected Congresscritters is just another political view"?

Right-whingers think it very important to point out that one of the men Kyle Rittenhouse killed had a traffic warrant out, or that Eric Garner was selling loosies: Is it off-limits to examine Ms. Babbitt's past behavior? @Trausti @Derec — is she still one of your heroines? Assuming you've bothered to click a link, do you still regard her as a paradigm of dainty Republican virtues?

"Cleveland Meredith Jr. repeatedly texted family and friends saying he hoped to shoot Pelosi and assault the nation’s capital"
One message said he was “gonna collect a … ton of Traitors heads.”
... twice texting that he was considering “putting a bullet in her [Pelosi’s] noggin on live TV.”

His family called the FBI.
He was soon arrested, and he was recently sentenced to 28 months in prison.

Judge ABJ noted that 1000 rounds of armor-piercing ammo, high-capacity ammo magazines, and an assault rifle with a telescopic sight were likely not needed for target practice with his kids.,,,
... The next day, Meredith sent texts such as, “I may wander over to the mayor’s office and put a 5.56 in her skull” and “Thinking about heading over to Pelosi … speech and putting a bullet in her noggin on live TV,”
Only 28 months? Couldn't they find anyone to testify he'd once smoked some marijuana? — Then he could have been given some serious time.

JUST IN: Marjorie Taylor Greene Leads Group Demanding 'Justice' For Jan. 6 Detainees - YouTube
"Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, along with Rep. Matt Gaetz, Rep. Paul Gosar and Rep. Louie Gohmert held a press conference Tuesday to call on justice for the detainees of the January 6th Capitol attack."

Does anyone else find it amusing when right-wingers act like card-carrying members of the ACLU?
They do it because they see the ACLU doing it effectively even against all their screaming whinges.

They say "doing things shaped like this gets those people what they want, maybe if I shape my arguments kind of like the thing that worked for them maybe people will do what I want this time".

They don't realize that when the ACLU does it they are saying 'dont be evil', and nothing that MTG or the treasonistas do will be able to twist that to 'its evil to not let us be evil' in any effective way.

Let's be honest here, reality really kinda sucks most days. I can totally understand why Trausti does not seem to like living here.
A big reason why reality sucks is the amount of fuckwits who love living in make believe. I also think it's important to highlight the distinction between the occasional bout of escapism and a consistent wilful denial of cognitive input. The former's fine, the latter is destructive for pretty much everyone.

Let's be honest here, reality really kinda sucks most days. I can totally understand why Trausti does not seem to like living here.
A big reason why reality sucks is the amount of fuckwits who love living in make believe. I also think it's important to highlight the distinction between the occasional bout of escapism and a consistent wilful denial of cognitive input. The former's fine, the latter is destructive for pretty much everyone.
Damn, you got me there. ._.

Any case has to be judged on its own merits. If an Antifa throws a rock at a Proud Boy, then all the antifa attending that counter-protest are Accessories to Attempted Murder. OTOH charging Derek Chauvin with Murder was prosecutorial over-reach: If he had intended to kill he would have left his knee on Floyd's neck for at least ten minutes. He thought nine minutes was just right for causing brain damage without death.

with the intention of murdering elected Congresscritters
What is that based on?
Reality. Try it sometime, I think you might like it.
Did the QAnon nutjob Ashli Babbitt even know she had joined the group to hang Mike Pence and shoot Nancy Pelosi in the frigging brain? Or was she too tramautized from her military adventures in Iraq and Calvert County to even hear what they were saying? Maybe she thought crossing a barricaded door through the broken window was just part of the visitor's tour organized by Lauren Boebert. We'll never know the answers to these questions because a black cop put the lives of Pence, Pelosi and the others he'd been sworn to protect above the life of this deranged insurrectionist.

In between her tours of duty in Maryland and Washington D.C. Ms. Babbitt told an interviewer she was a "libertarian." So another thing we'll never be able to ask this QAnon whack-job is what "libertarian" means: a pressing question which our intellectual Jason H apparently refuses to answer.

Back
Top Bottom