• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Vice-Presidential Debate

Frank Bruni made my day. I changed the channel just before the fly did his thing. Damn. I missed the best part of the debate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/opinion/mike-pence-vp-debate.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

We need to talk about that fly.

It was a fly, wasn’t it? If not, it was a bug doing an ace interpretation of a fly, and about two-thirds of the way through the debate in Salt Lake City on Wednesday night, it took up residence in Vice President Mike Pence’s hair, a smudge of black against a shock of white, where it lingered for a few minutes before undoubtedly realizing that there was warmer, more demonstrably human real estate to be had.

Off it flew, and on Pence droned. He never exhibited any awareness — not the subtlest glance upward, not the slightest flinch or twitch — that his head had been colonized. I first found this strange and then realized it was everything. Pence’s years of obsequiousness to Donald Trump had beaten all sensitivity and capacity for revulsion out of him.

How could he be expected to register or exile an itty-bitty pest when he routinely puts up with a great big one? That fly was some crazy combo of metaphor, visitation and karmic joke.

Bullying comes in many different forms: red-faced and furious like Trump’s; chalk-faced and funereal like Pence’s. Shamelessness, too. Pence’s boasts and lies may not be as gilded and rococo as the president’s, but they’re fanciful all the same.

He would not fess up to humankind’s role in climate change but said, preposterously, “President Trump has made it clear that we’re going to continue to listen to the science.” Continue? Science? Is this before or after the bleach injections?

“This is a president who respects and cherishes all of the American people,” Pence said, making me wonder if I’d spaced out and missed an antecedent and he was talking about someone other than Trump.

I enjoyed his entire editorial but those lines were a few of my favorites.

My first attempt at meme creation

121002117_4012184965474786_7204424830809464704_n.jpg

I looked in #KHive in Twitter, and it was very active. :D

Fact-Checking the Vice-Presidential Debate - The New York Times

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR]
[TD]Assessment[/TD]
[TD]K Harris[/TD]
[TD]M Pence[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]True[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mostly True[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Lacks Evidence[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Exaggerated[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Misleading[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]False[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Total[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

So in their fact-checked assertions, Kamala Harris was much more truthful than Mike Pence.

Nah. Both candidates ratios of true versus false were mere percentages.

Harris 3/8: Pence 6/17: Only the ratios were inverted. ;)

For the record regarding Pence and his fly. To a fly crap is crap, it doesn't care about party lines.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP7_HEISfgk&ab_channel=APArchive[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom