• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

A reasonable second monitor, say 20-24 inches, is $100 plus or minus. A wireless keyboard and mouse is $20. A headset for Teams/Zoom/Webex/Gotomeeting/etc can be as cheap as $15 for wired USB and a little more for bluetooth.

I can't stand being wired to my computer. I need to walk around. So I got myself the best wireless headset I could find. It doesn't use bluetooth but the same technology as a chordless phone. About $200 but I can wander 100 meters from my computer and still stay connected. It's handy for making a new cup of coffee, going to the mailbox, or even for taking a shit on the toilet. Just be sure to mute.

I never have, either--I've been aware of some big weddings that make no sense to me. If anything there has been a negative correlation between the size of the wedding and the duration of the marriage. We have become even less interested in ceremony as the years go by.

I was a little surprised so many people came though i had a ton of aunts and uncles and cousins on Cape Cod and my wife had tons in Maine.

We got married in 2003 but had been together since 1991 and we bought the house we are still living in in 1997. To me buying the house together was the biggest thing.

When we married I had two living relatives I had any contact with. She had a bunch but none of them could come--I didn't even meet her parents until several years later and the rest of them a few years after that.

Having been through the green card process actually left me with a slight dislike of marriage per se--I see it as a government intrusion in a personal matter. It's the ties of the heart that matter, not the ties of paper.

(We went before a government agent--the justice of the peace--and got our marriage license. Then we take it down to immigration and there's all sorts of scrutiny about whether it's a real marriage. Hey, if you don't believe your own officials what's the point?!)

Well Fuck. I'm self isolating and my 85 year old mom has C19

Yesterday my KN95 masks arrived just 20 minutes before I had to go visit my mom in assisted living for a telehealth call with her neurologist. I used the new mask and put a cloth mask on top to keep the fit tight. The telehealth call lasted about 90 minutes in her room. I was able to get my mom to keep her mask on at least over her mouth. 85 year olds have a hard time especially with advanced Parkinson's

So this morning I got a call from the assisted living that mom's C19 test from 2 days ago came back positive. 11 Cases in total. That's 10X more than any other time! The email blast says that all were asymptomatic.

But also mom took a fall today and couldn't get up and was sent to the ER. They did a chest xray and saw evidence of Covid in the lungs but no other injury.

So FUCK my 85 year old mom has it and I'm isolating in the old home I grew up in about 40 minutes from home. So far I feel fine. I hope it stays that way but I'll see how to get a test in a few days and jezz, I don't know about my mom.

Have a hard time working from home, too. I’m jussst not as productive.

I dreaded the thought of working from home from the start, and I was right, it's bloody awful. It makes me angry when I go out and see everyone not following pandemic protocols, because it means being stuck in this goddamned apartment for probably another semester if not another year, just to appease the idiocy of fools.

I'm on the other side. Pre-pandemic, I was working from home part-time. Now I'm full time, and I never want to go into the office again.

I started working at home in 2008 and have loved it. No 45 minute drive each way and since most of the people I work with had been and are remote still, there was not much point me sitting at the office. That office is mainly where IT is located. Everyone else started moving home long ago. Skype for Business and now MS Teams keeps us all connected.

I would probably enjoy it more if I were working a different job. Part of the problem is that I'm expected to almost double my output with the same time in pay (because online teaching is greatly more labor-intensive, but not recognised as such by the administration). It's also much more frustrating to try and teach certain subjects remotely.

I would probably enjoy it more if I were working a different job. Part of the problem is that I'm expected to almost double my output with the same time in pay (because online teaching is greatly more labor-intensive, but not recognised as such by the administration). It's also much more frustrating to try and teach certain subjects remotely.

I don't have the opportunity to see the teacher's side of things but I observe my kids side.

My high school boy's largest problem is submitting course work. One teacher wants work emailed as a PDF. Other teachers want it submitted through "Schoolology" which frequently fails to deliver. Some teachers want PDFs. Some want it in the native MS Word or PowerPoint. The biggest problem is that Schoolology says the work was sent but the teacher doesn't get the work and marks him down for not sending in his homework.

My daughter in College has worse problems. All of the professors want things submitted differently. There is no uniformity. Different teacher, different process.

She was trying to submit work for one professor and it wasn't working. She got the professor to screen share so that my daughter could have her observe what my daughter was doing to submit the work. They tried three times with the professor watching what my daughter was doing. All three times the work failed to arrive but my daughter was doing exactly what the professor said to do. The professor finally gave up and gave my daughter a zero or the assignment.

Another professor, US History, had given 50 students an assignment to interview a veteran. 2-3 hour interview. This very old professor would only accept the audio of the 2-3 hour interviews on multiple audio CD! No new notebook comes with a optical media burner any more. None of the 50 students could get access to an optical burner and it was 5 days until Christmas break. There was much screaming and complaining by the 50 students that no one can get access to an optical burner. The Dean finally stepped in and convinced the professor to at least accept the assignment on a USB dongle or SD card. But then the professor would only accept the file as a WMA (Windows Media Audio) and all of the Apple students in the class had to scream and yell that Apple does not support WMA format. Finally the professor relented and allowed MP3 but he never was willing to accept the current format AAC.

Submitting work to teachers is the most difficult thing that my kids face learning remotely. There is no tech support and no real coordination. So teachers do it the all different ways and sometimes those ways don't work.

For work Jan 14-17 I attended some virtual session at the Consumer Electronics Show on the future of education. These people were talking about everyone wearing virtual reality headsets to all "feel" like they were together in the same room. Everyone would take selfies of themselves from different angles and the program would create virtual reality versions of themselves to sit in class or do a chemistry lab. I'm thinking to myself, OK maybe some day they can all sit around the Jedi Council from miles away but what about today? What about just a foolproof way for kids to submit their work?

I don't have the opportunity to see the teacher's side of things but I observe my kids side.

My high school boy's largest problem is submitting course work. One teacher wants work emailed as a PDF. Other teachers want it submitted through "Schoolology" which frequently fails to deliver. Some teachers want PDFs. Some want it in the native MS Word or PowerPoint. The biggest problem is that Schoolology says the work was sent but the teacher doesn't get the work and marks him down for not sending in his homework.

My daughter in College has worse problems. All of the professors want things submitted differently. There is no uniformity. Different teacher, different process.

She was trying to submit work for one professor and it wasn't working. She got the professor to screen share so that my daughter could have her observe what my daughter was doing to submit the work. They tried three times with the professor watching what my daughter was doing. All three times the work failed to arrive but my daughter was doing exactly what the professor said to do. The professor finally gave up and gave my daughter a zero or the assignment.

Another professor, US History, had given 50 students an assignment to interview a veteran. 2-3 hour interview. This very old professor would only accept the audio of the 2-3 hour interviews on multiple audio CD! No new notebook comes with a optical media burner any more. None of the 50 students could get access to an optical burner and it was 5 days until Christmas break. There was much screaming and complaining by the 50 students that no one can get access to an optical burner. The Dean finally stepped in and convinced the professor to at least accept the assignment on a USB dongle or SD card. But then the professor would only accept the file as a WMA (Windows Media Audio) and all of the Apple students in the class had to scream and yell that Apple does not support WMA format. Finally the professor relented and allowed MP3 but he never was willing to accept the current format AAC.

Submitting work to teachers is the most difficult thing that my kids face learning remotely. There is no tech support and no real coordination. So teachers do it the all different ways and sometimes those ways don't work.

For work Jan 14-17 I attended some virtual session at the Consumer Electronics Show on the future of education. These people were talking about everyone wearing virtual reality headsets to all "feel" like they were together in the same room. Everyone would take selfies of themselves from different angles and the program would create virtual reality versions of themselves to sit in class or do a chemistry lab. I'm thinking to myself, OK maybe some day they can all sit around the Jedi Council from miles away but what about today? What about just a foolproof way for kids to submit their work?

I get the impression that the student experience here is quite similar, and that isn't surprisingl We've been very little specific guidance on how to "take everything remote", so each instructor has more or less had to invent their own wheel, many of them with very little experience in online education or the technology that supports it. And with such a short transition time, the initial move to online didn't allow for very much voluntary conferencing or standard-setting within our number. Some of that is starting to come together now, but belatedly, and the "basic structure" of the newly online version of everyone's classes are now published; standardizing would mean rewriting them in many cases. There's also the fact of differerent class types; labs require a very different structure from lecture courses or seminars, for instance.

Canvas, our LMI, is pretty consistent when it comes to assignment submissions, but if the students have a hardware problem on their end, there isn't always much we can do (or know how to do) about it. My particular employers would never approve of giving a student a zero for a legitimate technological error though, they have made a mantra of the phrase "find a way to 'yes'" and it is quoted at us whenever a student claims unfair treatment. There are both pros and cons to this. On occasion, I am obliged to reward what I suspect to be cheating, because in the absence of proof the administration would not support pursuing the matter. This I do not like. But I like the general principle of "the issue is resolved when the student succeeds in their goals." We are, after all, meant to serve them at the end of the day.

I usually accept either Word (which the students have free access to) or PDF documents. The biggest problems are with Pages documents, Works files, and Google Docs, none of which are easily openable on my machine. It can be done, but my new workload is nightmarish enough without additional five-minute diversions in opening a file to grade it. I usually just ping back an e-mail explaining how to make a pdf from each of those programs, and tell them they'll get credit for the assignment whenever it is properly formatted.

That VR nonsense sounds like a nightmare. We can barely get everyone on functional laptops, who is going to buy them all Oculi? And the students would hate it anyway, most are camera shy.

Have a hard time working from home, too. I’m jussst not as productive.

Just curious, did the idea of working from home appeal at first?
Not really, I’ve always known that about me - when I had weekend work to do and the choice to do it from home or office, I usually chose office.

Too many distractions - if I hit a part of wor that I have to push through, it’s hard to not say, “well, might as well take a break and throw in some laundry,” or “the grass needs mowing, I’ll just do that for an hour.”

I'm thinking to myself, OK maybe some day they can all sit around the Jedi Council from miles away but what about today? What about just a foolproof way for kids to submit their work?

Amen.
(This was true even before COVID.)

A few years ago I posted a memory of a college roommate's drunken attempts to steal an "Adrian Street" sign for his then girlfriend, later wife, after he died of  primary sclerosing cholangitis (same thing that killed Walter Payton). Well, I just learned that Adrian has been intubated after a week in ICU. At least one of their kids is still in college and maybe another.

She died last night. Only 59 years old.

Artemus said:
This really sucks.

Yes, it really truly does.

My brother-in-law's family all got it. They likely got it from other family that they were repeatedly not masking with. A ton of overlap. Seemed a miracle it took this long. Kids aren't too bad, dad was sick, mom got the worst of it.
Just got word that my aunt (Dad's sister) died yesterday of Covid. She was 3 weeks shy of her 89th birthday. :sad-smiley-021:
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Was a complaint filed with the administration?

I usually accept either Word (which the students have free access to) or PDF documents. The biggest problems are with Pages documents, Works files, and Google Docs, none of which are easily openable on my machine. It can be done, but my new workload is nightmarish enough without additional five-minute diversions in opening a file to grade it. I usually just ping back an e-mail explaining how to make a pdf from each of those programs, and tell them they'll get credit for the assignment whenever it is properly formatted.

That VR nonsense sounds like a nightmare. We can barely get everyone on functional laptops, who is going to buy them all Oculi? And the students would hate it anyway, most are camera shy.

How about .XPS? I believe more versions of Windows have native or free solutions for this than for .pdf.

Back
Top Bottom