• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Virus - Are You Affected?

It appears to be related to how big your initial exposure is. That's why the medical people have been hit extra hard by this. Beyond that it's a crapshoot, it's just chance where the clots end up.
It does not seem that coherent theory explaining all the facts exists.
Most researchers agree that cytokine storm plays a role, now I see reports that there is also such a thing as antibody storm. Then reports that virus directly attacks parts of the immune system making it attack its own normal (non-infected) cells.
One would think once virus started multiplying in the host, it does not matter what the initial viral load was anymore, right? Some weird virus.

I missed my daughter's wedding yesterday. It was supposed to be last summer and been rescheduled, but with no end it sight they decided to get married by a judge with a couple witnesses. It seemed imprudent to travel across several states. But never though I'd miss one of my kids' weddings.

I missed my daughter's wedding yesterday. It was supposed to be last summer and been rescheduled, but with no end it sight they decided to get married by a judge with a couple witnesses. It seemed imprudent to travel across several states. But never though I'd miss one of my kids' weddings.

My nephew got married last October. They changed it from their original plans to a small backyard ceremony with a computer set up so family could zoom in. They are planning to do another ceremony and reception once people are able to get together again. I’ve got a big family that likes to dance so there is no getting out of a reception for everyone

The cynic in me says better a wedding than a funeral.

Seriously though, I hope that they do a re-do it when it's safe to do one. It can seem just as meaningful.

We are waiting on two funerals if you will. My wife's dad died a couple weeks ago and we just have to wait. My dad died before C19 happened but we are still waiting until it's safe for me to take my mom out of assisted living and all of us go to spread his ashes where he wanted to be.

It appears to be related to how big your initial exposure is. That's why the medical people have been hit extra hard by this. Beyond that it's a crapshoot, it's just chance where the clots end up.
It does not seem that coherent theory explaining all the facts exists.
Most researchers agree that cytokine storm plays a role, now I see reports that there is also such a thing as antibody storm. Then reports that virus directly attacks parts of the immune system making it attack its own normal (non-infected) cells.
One would think once virus started multiplying in the host, it does not matter what the initial viral load was anymore, right? Some weird virus.

It's a race--the virus vs your immune system. The virus starts out with little opposition and has a pretty much free run of things until the body mobilizes against it. A higher initial load is effectively the same thing as more time spent multiplying without resistance--it's basically giving the virus a head start on the race. Is it any wonder it makes for a higher peak and thus more damage?

Seriously though, I hope that they do a re-do it when it's safe to do one. It can seem just as meaningful.

We are waiting on two funerals if you will. My wife's dad died a couple weeks ago and we just have to wait. My dad died before C19 happened but we are still waiting until it's safe for me to take my mom out of assisted living and all of us go to spread his ashes where he wanted to be.

At the time we married there was no way her parents could be there--we went the justice of the peace route. We've never missed having anything fancier.

At the time we married there was no way her parents could be there--we went the justice of the peace route. We've never missed having anything fancier.

If I was in this position, the followup wouldn't need to be something big. Just a small gathering of relatives and friends who would really want to go. When I got married we rented a few tents and hired a back yard BBQ. Same could apply - if the relatives want something. If not then skip. I've never been a fan of big fancy weddings. Some people waste the equivalent of a down payment on a house for a fancy wedding. I don't see that making any sense for most people. I think we spent about $2000 for the tents and a BBQ company cook some chicken. About 75-100 relatives and friends came.

The plan is just to throw a party when it is safe, hopefully this summer. No need to hold any sort of ceremony, we all hate them anyway. I'm going to avoid my sister and the inevitable "I can't believe you didn't go"...she has thrived on stirring things up in the family for decades (although she has mellowed a bit lately).

Yeah, that's pretty bad. At least we have a party to look forward to.

If I was in this position, the followup wouldn't need to be something big. Just a small gathering of relatives and friends who would really want to go. When I got married we rented a few tents and hired a back yard BBQ. Same could apply - if the relatives want something. If not then skip. I've never been a fan of big fancy weddings. Some people waste the equivalent of a down payment on a house for a fancy wedding. I don't see that making any sense for most people. I think we spent about $2000 for the tents and a BBQ company cook some chicken. About 75-100 relatives and friends came.

I never have, either--I've been aware of some big weddings that make no sense to me. If anything there has been a negative correlation between the size of the wedding and the duration of the marriage. We have become even less interested in ceremony as the years go by.

I never have, either--I've been aware of some big weddings that make no sense to me. If anything there has been a negative correlation between the size of the wedding and the duration of the marriage. We have become even less interested in ceremony as the years go by.

I was a little surprised so many people came though i had a ton of aunts and uncles and cousins on Cape Cod and my wife had tons in Maine.

We got married in 2003 but had been together since 1991 and we bought the house we are still living in in 1997. To me buying the house together was the biggest thing.

I'm going crazy from working from home. Fuck I hate it so much. And I suck at work. I can barely get anything done. I was not built for this psychologically

I'm going crazy from working from home. Fuck I hate it so much. And I suck at work. I can barely get anything done. I was not built for this psychologically
What exactly can't you get done?

My office is closed. So everything I normally would walk over and ask my collegues of, I can't. So I waste a lot of time. There's no whiteboards. I only have one screen. Everything is more complicated. Which takes a lot of wind out of my work.

I work with very technical and complicated things. It's easy to fuck up. Right now I'm supposed to be planning for a project to start in a month, telling a bunch of people what to do. I need to know what they are supposed to be doing. Which I need to work out. Which is much harder now.

What exactly can't you get done?

My office is closed. So everything I normally would walk over and ask my collegues of, I can't. So I waste a lot of time. There's no whiteboards. I only have one screen. Everything is more complicated. Which takes a lot of wind out of my work.

I work with very technical and complicated things. It's easy to fuck up. Right now I'm supposed to be planning for a project to start in a month, telling a bunch of people what to do. I need to know what they are supposed to be doing. Which I need to work out. Which is much harder now.

Doesn't your employer have MS Teams set up? Or before that Skype for Business? And get a second monitor and a headset. Shared files at least in a corporate Dropbox or hopefully better? WFH is easy of you are set up correctly. I've been doing it since 2008 and have similar tasks.

Doesn't your employer have MS Teams set up? Or before that Skype for Business? And get a second monitor and a headset. Shared files at least in a corporate Dropbox or hopefully better? WFH is easy of you are set up correctly. I've been doing it since 2008 and have similar tasks.

I'm happy to hear working remote works so great for you. I have all of that set up, except the second monitor. I hate working from home. I always have. I think we're just different.

I'm happy to hear working remote works so great for you. I have all of that set up, except the second monitor. I hate working from home. I always have. I think we're just different.

The last trip I made to the office in March, and again in October, was to pick up a monitor for use at home. It's worth it!

Even before the pandemic I regularly brought my external keyboard and mouse home on Thursdays as Friday has been wfh day.

The last trip I made to the office in March, and again in October, was to pick up a monitor for use at home. It's worth it!

Even before the pandemic I regularly brought my external keyboard and mouse home on Thursdays as Friday has been wfh day.

My employer has the policy of giving us a higher pay in exchange for not giving us any extras. So I will need to buy all that myself and set it up. While I have received the money from my employer and shouldn't whine. The fact that I need to pay for it myself makes me hesitant. Yes, I understand I have a weak argument.

My employer has the policy of giving us a higher pay in exchange for not giving us any extras. So I will need to buy all that myself and set it up. While I have received the money from my employer and shouldn't whine. The fact that I need to pay for it myself makes me hesitant. Yes, I understand I have a weak argument.

Putting the screen they bought for you to use to your new desk isn't an extra, it's making sure that an investment they *already_made* is used productively.

California lifts stay at home order;

California lifted regional stay-at-home orders across the state Monday in response to improving coronavirus conditions, returning the state to a system of county-by-county restrictions, state health officials announced. The order had been in place in the San Francisco Bay Area, San Joaquin Valley and Southern California, covering the majority of the state's counties. The change will allow businesses such as restaurants to resume outdoor operations in many areas, though local officials could choose to continue stricter rules. The state is also lifting a 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew.

ABC News

The insufferable prick Newsom desperately tries to salvage his political career as the recall effort gathers momentum.

I'm happy to hear working remote works so great for you. I have all of that set up, except the second monitor,
If you have a TV, you have a second monitor.

Back
Top Bottom