• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The war on the war on xmas has already started

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
Every year, Xmas starts earlier. It's not even Thanksgiving and the mailbox is full of catalogs, the paper is full of pre-Black Friday sales, and stores are full of Christmas decorations, Christmas candy and Christmas assholes.

The woman behind me at the supermarket wished me a Merry Christmas. There's still three paydays to Christmas, for Nothing's sake!
So i nodded back and, thinking of Christmas, New Years, Solstice, Hanukah and Thankt-freaking-giving, i wished her a Happy Holiday Season.
"It's merry Christmas!" she insisted.
"You don't get to dictate what felicitations i offer you," i pointed out. "I could wish you a happy Winter Solstice."
"Christ is the reason for the season!" she said, talking louder.
"I only talk about Christ after i hit my thumb with a hammer."
Her eyes went all squinty and she leaped to a conclusion. "Are you jewish?" she asked.
"No, atheist," i replied.
She backed away like i was about to bite. No good-bye. Just wide-eyed fear and she got into a much longer line across the store from me.

I must remember to use my powers only for...

Um.

Good?

I'm guessing she was spoiling for a fight, but only with other Christains who may need a little recalibration to stop saying 'Holidays.' She just forgot that there are non-Christains out here in the wilderness.

I just wish i knew what she was saying about me on Facebook.

Oh as a Christian, I would have ripped her a new one since Advent has not started. And then made the sign of a pentagram.

Apart from a couple of talking heads trying to fight the merchandisation of Christmas, I don't bump in that kind of people around here.
Whether it is because it's less easy to remember to put "Christ" in "Noël" or because religion is becoming a minority, I don't know. Maybe I just don't go out enough...

(what's sure, is that the Christmas lights generally don't get lighted before around december 1st, but I suppose it's more about fuel economies for the town. The chocolates and presents are definetly in the shops. Oh, and here, it's only one payday till Christmas, we're on a monthly pay tradition)

Whether it is because it's less easy to remember to put "Christ" in "Noël" or because religion is becoming a minority, I don't know. Maybe I just don't go out enough...
I doubt it's just a grroundswelling of sentiment.
I really do suspect this one was trawling. That a group of friends, either at her church or FB or Ravelry, decided 'what we oughta do is' and have gone out to spread the word.
Gonna be a fun winter...

If she was alone, wouldn't "trolling" be more descriptive than "trawling"? (or was she that massive?)
[/pedant]

If she was alone, wouldn't "trolling" be more descriptive than "trawling"? (or was she that massive?)
[/pedant]
She was looking for a very specific catch. not an actual fight, as evidenced by her retreat when i went off-script.

Every year, Xmas starts earlier. It's not even Thanksgiving and the mailbox is full of catalogs, the paper is full of pre-Black Friday sales, and stores are full of Christmas decorations, Christmas candy and Christmas assholes.

The woman behind me at the supermarket wished me a Merry Christmas. There's still three paydays to Christmas, for Nothing's sake!
So i nodded back and, thinking of Christmas, New Years, Solstice, Hanukah and Thankt-freaking-giving, i wished her a Happy Holiday Season.
"You don't get to dictate what felicitations i offer you," i pointed out. "I could wish you a happy Winter Solstice."
Poor form. The proper response is "No, the axial tilt of Earth's rotation is the reason for the season."

Her eyes went all squinty and she leaped to a conclusion. "Are you jewish?" she asked.
Calvinistic Atheist.
She backed away like i was about to bite. No good-bye. Just wide-eyed fear and she got into a much longer line across the store from me.
Some people seem to equate "atheist" with "child killer" for some unfortunate reason. Nothing like having a stigma because you dare to think for yourself.

I'm guessing she was spoiling for a fight, but only with other Christains who may need a little recalibration to stop saying 'Holidays.' She just forgot that there are non-Christains out here in the wilderness.

What bothers me the most is that it is properly "Holidays". Christmas and New Years are separate holidays. You say Happy Holidays to cover both things. It also becomes useful for other people that have religious events oddly enough also around the Winter Solstice. Giving more truth to the statement, "The axial tilt of Earth's rotation is the reason for the season."

Never mind that the old English roots of "holiday" is "holy day"....yeah so anti-Christian...gotta laugh. Happy Tiw's day ;)

The big malls here have all the garish decorations up (and have had since the end of October). However there is a smaller shopping centre just around the corner, where they have the same old stuff they have had for years; the centrepiece of which is a diorama of a family with a young baby in a barn, surrounded by farmyard animals. Exactly what the fuck this has to do with Santa I do not know. :confused2:

In Southern Ontario, everyone who takes Christmas as a serious Christian tradition gets glared at and judged.

I like the season, though. I like hearing cheesy Christmas music everywhere I go, I like the decorations, I like the snow, the eggnog, the whole nine yards. Hell I might even watch Home Alone 1 and 2 this year.

I must remember to use my powers only for...

Um.

Good?

:hysterical:

... the centrepiece of which is a diorama of a family with a young baby in a barn, surrounded by farmyard animals. Exactly what the fuck this has to do with Santa I do not know. :confused2:
Love it. Got to give that one a dance at the first opportunity.

One year, when Christmas fell on Sunday, one of my favorite Foxtrot strips had Jason receiving a really wonderful dart gun. he went on and on about the gun, something like how 24 darts per second was THE TRUE MEANING of Christmas.
Horrified, Andy yanked Jason up and announced that if anyone wanted them, they'd be at church.
"Aw come on!" he protested. "What makes you think they're even open today?"

<snip> Some people seem to equate "atheist" with "child killer" for some unfortunate reason. Nothing like having a stigma because you dare to think for yourself.

Well, Darwin was an atheist, and Darwin's theory was responsible for Naziism, and since Hitler was a child killer...DUH!

One year, when Christmas fell on Sunday, one of my favorite Foxtrot strips had Jason receiving a really wonderful dart gun. he went on and on about the gun, something like how 24 darts per second was THE TRUE MEANING of Christmas.
Horrified, Andy yanked Jason up and announced that if anyone wanted them, they'd be at church.
"Aw come on!" he protested. "What makes you think they're even open today?"

That's great! :D

The big malls here have all the garish decorations up (and have had since the end of October). However there is a smaller shopping centre just around the corner, where they have the same old stuff they have had for years; the centrepiece of which is a diorama of a family with a young baby in a barn, surrounded by farmyard animals. Exactly what the fuck this has to do with Santa I do not know. :confused2:

I saw this meme on FB this morning, just had to share:
1546268_892048450829857_2500254987335067837_n.jpg

I saw this meme on FB this morning, just had to share:
1546268_892048450829857_2500254987335067837_n.jpg
Best Caption EVER!!!

Back
Top Bottom