• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The web of lies in Ferguson

The AP analyzed the many witness statements presented by the prosecutors to the grand jury who made the decision not to indict Darren Wilson in the shooting of Michael Brown. Here is an excerpt from the article Ferguson grand jury papers full of inconsistencies

But Johnson also declared on TV, in a clip played for the grand jury, that Wilson fired at least one shot at his friend while Brown was running away: "It struck my friend in the back."

Johnson held to a variation of this description in his grand jury testimony, saying the shot caused Brown's body to "do like a jerking movement, not to where it looked like he got hit in his back, but I knew, it maybe could have grazed him, but he definitely made a jerking movement."

Other eyewitness accounts also were clearly wrong.

One woman, who said she was smoking a cigarette with a friend nearby, claimed she saw a second police officer in the passenger seat of Wilson's vehicle. When quizzed by a prosecutor, she elaborated: The officer was white, "middle age or young" and in uniform. She said she was positive there was a second officer — even though there was not.

Another woman testified that she saw Brown leaning through the officer's window "from his navel up," with his hand moving up and down, as if he were punching the officer. But when the same witness returned to testify again on another day, she said she suffers from mental disorder, has racist views and that she has trouble distinguishing the truth from things she had read online.

Prosecutors suggested the woman had fabricated the entire incident and was not even at the scene the day of the shooting.

Another witness had told the FBI that Wilson shot Brown in the back and then "stood over him and finished him off." But in his grand jury testimony, this witness acknowledged that he had not seen that part of the shooting, and that what he told the FBI was "based on me being where I'm from, and that can be the only assumption that I have."

The witness, who lives in the predominantly black neighborhood where Brown was killed, also acknowledged that he changed his story to fit details of the autopsy that he had learned about on TV.

"So it was after you learned that the things you said you saw couldn't have happened that way, then you changed your story about what you seen?" a prosecutor asserted.

"Yeah, to coincide with what really happened," the witness replied.

Another man, describing himself as a friend of Brown's, told a federal investigator that he heard the first gunshot, looked out his window and saw an officer with a gun drawn and Brown "on his knees with his hands in the air." He added: "I seen him shoot him in the head."

But when later pressed by the investigator, the friend said he had not seen the actual shooting because he was walking down the stairs at the time and instead had heard details from someone in the apartment complex.

"What you are saying you saw isn't forensically possible based on the evidence," the investigator told the friend.

Shortly after that, the friend asked if he could leave.

"I ain't feeling comfortable," he said.

I crawled the thread of Michael Brown Shooting and Aftermath and collected the quotes of those who assumed the witnesses were telling the truth: @Nice Squirrel @Sabine Grant @RavenSky @Jarhyn @Crazy Eddie @Toni @none

Trouble is that we do have more than 3 eyewitnesses who are telling the same story. This is what we know right now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown

1. there was some kind of altercation in or at the car
2. brown ran away from the car
3. the officer fired a shot (possibly hitting brown?)
4. brown turned around and put his hands in the air
5. the officer then fired at least two more shots, at least one of which hit and killed brown
6. brown was 20-30 feet away from the car at that point (supported by evidence)

The point which seems to be missed : Officer Wilson is going to have a very difficult time establishing that he fired his weapon several times based on self defense since Brown was running away and unarmed. Further if what Tiffany Mitchell reported in her interview last night is correct, Brown would have stopped following Wilson firing at him and put his hands up. However, Wilson fired his weapon several more times.

[...]

To which extent did that toxic climate influence Officer Wilson in pursuing to fire his weapon (and several times) at Brown, while he was running away and unarmed?

It does not, however, explain nor justify why the cop then proceeded to shot Michael Brown multiple times after Brown was ~~25 feet away from the patrol car with his hands in the air.

The officer DID know that he was running away with his hands up screaming 'don't shoot'. This means that the officer has to face the facts that he needs major corrective action before he is allowed to so much as LOOK at a gun.

It makes it more acceptable to shoot a suspect multiple times after they are no danger to anyone and they've put their hands up in surrender?

Right. According to the witnesses, that was the point when he turned around and threw his hands up.

Johnson isn't the only witness to contradict police versions of the shooting. At least two others have stated publicly that they witnessed the shooting and stated that Brown was far away and had his hands in the air. They were not acquainted with any of the parties involved.

The video footage being a live recording of 2 eyewitnesses of the shooting and their reaction to what they just saw. If one could venture in invalidating the narrative of other witnesses by claiming that they were changing their story to fit a "hands up" scenario, this footage captures a spontaneous reaction to what happened only minutes after the shooting.

The most recent video footage I linked to this a.m relates the spontaneous and immediate remarks made by 2 eyewitnesses to the shooting, within a short delay following the shooting. What one of the contractors exclaimed leaves NO room to interpret it any differently than his having witnessed Brown with his "hands up".

ok, the scene where there was supposedly activity between Brown and the officer was near the police cruiser, the scene where Brown was shot to death is at least 35 feet away and seperated by a duration of time, enough time for the officer to pull his weapon outside of the vehicle.
From what I remember it is apparent from the accounts of at least five witnesses that brown had his hands up, was surrendered.
There is no evidence at this time to counter the account that Wilson suffered a swollen face because of the door to the cruiser bouncing open and then closed from the officer trying to exit the vehicle, and the door hitting him in the head/face and causing the swollen head/face.
So it appears the officer was hasty to shoot as evidenced by the wild exit from the police cruiser and the shooting of an unarmed man in surrender with his hands up.

The most daring point was made by @Loren Pechtel, and it proved prophetic:

...when a black is shot you can pretty much count on black witnesses who say he was not a threat no matter what the facts are.

This claim was met by a series of accusations of racism. I actually agree. It is racist. The lesson is: sometimes racism is correct. More specifically, those who are part of an ideological movement will give misleading accounts and tell lies. That includes at least the black community of Ferguson, Missouri, with their false claims motivated by a racial identity. If a statement is racist, that does not mean it is unreasonable. A statement is unreasonable if it does not fit the evidence and the patterns of the world.
at the time I made my comment my comment was accurate.
darren wilson's story went through a couple changes too, you might want to look that up.
also darren wilson's injury to the face and head seem consistent to opening up a car door with great force to only have it close back in on you smacking you in the face.
but that is all small talk, what I really want to know is: are you advocating that it is okay to kill Michael Brown?

This is another post focusing on the bad witnesses. I want the good witnesses testimony.

I'm curious about one particular piece of evidence.

Apparently, Brown had a wound on his hand - along his thumb, I think - which showed evidence of a close-range hit. The argument seems to be that he got this wound while struggling to take Wilson's gun, sparking reaction from Wilson leading to all the rest.

I've been trying to puzzle over that and wondering. If a guy is trying to take a gun away from a person who is not causing trouble, one assumes he's taking it from a holster, then, right? Because if the gun owner is not causing the problems, the gun in in the holster, right? So a guy tries to grab it. Is that cop right-handed? Is that gun over in the middle of the car in a holster on the cop's right hip?

How then, does the perp wind up getting shot along the hand? I'm just trying to imagine myself having someone lean all the way across me in a car, grab for my gun, and then somehow, his hand is at the barrel end of it and he's getting shot by it? How does that even happen? How do I get my gun out, turned, pointed at his hand, which is kinda in my lap and I pull the trigger and shoot his grabbing hand without shooting myself? Where did the bullet go? Is there a hole in the door as there would have to be if the hand was shot while reaching into the car? Because it's hard to picture the gun angled in such a way in my lap that the biullet goes out the window.

I'm just having a hard time picturing how that wound in Brown's hand even happened without the cop having already pulled his gun and pointing it at Brown and firing as he was reaching into the car.

This is another post focusing on the bad witnesses. I want the good witnesses testimony.
the person you are looking for was shot, had his hands in the air about 35 feet from the shooter and was unarmed.
good luck on your search.

Apparently, Brown had a wound on his hand - along his thumb, I think - which showed evidence of a close-range hit. The argument seems to be that he got this wound while struggling to take Wilson's gun, sparking reaction from Wilson leading to all the rest.

I've been trying to puzzle over that and wondering. If a guy is trying to take a gun away from a person who is not causing trouble, one assumes he's taking it from a holster, then, right? Because if the gun owner is not causing the problems, the gun in in the holster, right? So a guy tries to grab it. Is that cop right-handed? Is that gun over in the middle of the car in a holster on the cop's right hip?

How then, does the perp wind up getting shot along the hand? I'm just trying to imagine myself having someone lean all the way across me in a car, grab for my gun, and then somehow, his hand is at the barrel end of it and he's getting shot by it? How does that even happen? How do I get my gun out, turned, pointed at his hand, which is kinda in my lap and I pull the trigger and shoot his grabbing hand without shooting myself? Where did the bullet go? Is there a hole in the door as there would have to be if the hand was shot while reaching into the car? Because it's hard to picture the gun angled in such a way in my lap that the biullet goes out the window.

I'm just having a hard time picturing how that wound in Brown's hand even happened without the cop having already pulled his gun and pointing it at Brown and firing as he was reaching into the car.

You're making the erroneous assumption that the cop did nothing in response to the attempted gun grab.

The reality is that he obviously drew his gun. If the intent wasn't aggressive how did his hand end up that close to the business end of the officer's gun and with his thumb pointed at the gun? A surrender position would put the thumb approximately 90 degrees from the gun, not pointed at it.

You're making the erroneous assumption that the cop did nothing in response to the attempted gun grab.

The reality is that he obviously drew his gun. If the intent wasn't aggressive how did his hand end up that close to the business end of the officer's gun and with his thumb pointed at the gun? A surrender position would put the thumb approximately 90 degrees from the gun, not pointed at it.

You're making the assumption there was a gun grab. Also, you haven't addresses the point about the missing bullet hole inside the car. If Brown got that wound while trying to wrestle Wilson's gun away while Wilson was still in his car, where did the bullet go?

You are making the erroneous unsupported assumption that there was a gun grab. But thank you for admitting that the cop is the one who pulled his own gun and shot at Michael Brown. No evidence of this "gun grab". Lots of evidence cop shot at and killed Michael Brown.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...ded-to-destroy-the-case-against-Darren-Wilson

Isn't it funny how ApostateAbe complains about inconsistent eyewitness testimony?

If he was really concerned about flimsy and unreliable eyewitness testimony, his position would be the reverse of what it is.
Witness 40 has been the topic of discussion in the recent posts, and it is a lesson on why you should not depend on Daily Kos for news. Sandy McElroy and Prosecutor Bob McCulloch colluded to destroy the case against Darren Wilson? Holy shit, really??

Answer:

NO!

Yeah, it looks like you hand-waved it away with an ad hoc fallacy.

Apparently the international media forced the prosecutor to take testimony from an eyewitness he knew didn't actually witness anything. Oh, that dastardly, dastardly international media!

I'm not making any assumption at all, but you just did. I asked, quite clearly, _if_ there had been a gun grab, how did the grab happen before the cop drew the weapon and still have the grabber's hands at the barrel end? I asked, picture that and tell how you think it happened. Because every time I've grabbed at a holstered gun in my life, it never EVER resulted in me having my hand in front of the barrel.

So I'm asking you to describe the scene that you picture in which a guy grabs a holstered gun from a seated individual inside a car and gets shot across the hand by it.

And you skipped straight to, "he reacted and see? that happened!" which is a silly dodge from someone who has not real answer.

But the geometry doesn't make any sense at all. So describe it for me in a way that makes sense, please. And if you can't prove that the cop is right-handed, that's not a problem, describe both right and left handed because left-handed makes even less sense.

I feel like a mosquito in a nudist colony with all the selective focus and fallacies falling over each other. Such as "16 witnesses claimed Brown was surrendering" - how many were mostly discredited due to testimony that contradicted the physical evidence? Or talking about black people (or the police community) as one monolithic community that tends to do XYZ - aren't we really talking about the rot/criminal element in both? Or about how poor people have a greater tendency to lie than more affluent communities. Or claiming the probable cause for indictment was that Brown really was turning around to surrender ("Hands Up - Don't Shoot") and was gunned down after several grazing bullets and a final head shot while he was stumbling forward. Which is more incredible and thus less probable: (1) Brown had gotten X feet away after a scuffle in the police car and decided to turn around so Wilson could execute him for "walking in the middle of the street while black" or (2) Brown had gotten X feet away after a scuffle in the police car and decided to turn around and rush the officer? Both seems incredible really, which suggests a blend of the two stories that is consistent with the evidence. All these statements (and many more) need a lot more context and less snark (especially from moderators).

I don't blame the protestors who actually believed story 1, but I really despise the conscious motivation for whomever misrepresents the truth by lying or presenting only one side (either side) of the story. For example, I have a friend who keeps posting videos of what appears to be police brutality. The bad thing is the videos are without a before and after context. There are also no videos showing the police doing it right. And now we have NYC police officers getting executed (no video available) for "parking on the street while police." There are also plenty of videos out there showing cops getting beat up by unarmed men. This inflames people on both sides of the case(s) and makes race a national issue when maybe it's more a localized issue.

Last edited:

Police gun holsters are designed to make it virtually impossible for anyone other than the wearer to remove the pistol from the holster. I think it's pretty obvious, to me anyway, that Wilson drew the weapon in response to Brown's resistance after Wilson grabbed him from the truck.

Here's a press release from the National Bar Association:

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b

ApostateAbe? Would you mind contacting them and explaining to them what they got wrong? They are clearly in need of your expertise on this matter.

Don't confuse this organization with the ABA (which accredits law schools / largest association of lawyers) or any of the state bars (which regulate licensed attorneys). Unlike those organizations, this one is mainly an advocacy group. Incidentally, the press release does not specify how the grand jury process erred just that the president of the advocacy group has questions. It adds nothing.

"I think it's pretty obvious, to me anyway, that Wilson drew the weapon in response to Brown's resistance after Wilson grabbed him from the truck."

This is according to Dorian Johnson - other witnesses recount only what happened during and after the scuffle at the car - that Wilson grabbed him is clearly not obvious. This is one possible narrative that some obviously want to believe.

Here's a press release from the National Bar Association:

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b493e6c4d31beda32fdaf8e2d&id=73514e334b

ApostateAbe? Would you mind contacting them and explaining to them what they got wrong? They are clearly in need of your expertise on this matter.

Don't confuse this organization with the ABA (which accredits law schools / largest association of lawyers) or any of the state bars (which regulate licensed attorneys). Unlike those organizations, this one is mainly an advocacy group. Incidentally, the press release does not specify how the grand jury process erred just that the president of the advocacy group has questions. It adds nothing.

I was waiting for someone to go here. Wondering who it would be, but certain it would be someone.

The National Bar Association (NBA) is the oldest and largest national association of African-American attorneys and judges in the United States.

The fact that they are black attorneys and judges, and advocate for civil rights... in your head this makes them know less about the law than Apostate Abe? You're saying this somehow negates the point being made by Underseer?

How special.

"I think it's pretty obvious, to me anyway, that Wilson drew the weapon in response to Brown's resistance after Wilson grabbed him from the truck."

This is according to Dorian Johnson - other witnesses recount only what happened during and after the scuffle at the car - that Wilson grabbed him is clearly not obvious. This is one possible narrative that some obviously want to believe.

According to Wilson,

- he was sitting in his car
- with his gun holstered
- - - because he only reacted to Brown's aggression and therefore would never have arrived with a drawn gun
- and Brown reached inside the car
- across Wilson's body
- and went for the gun
- which Wilson drew
- and turned on Brown
- within the car
- and shot Brown in the front of the hand
- without hitting himself
- or anything inside of his car

And I'd like you to sort of act that out in your living room and describe to me the movements between the gun grab and the shot and how you envision that working.

Irrespective of Dorian Johnson's testimony.
You take Wilson's testimony and act it out and see how that looks to you.
And get back to us on that.

According to Wilson,

- with his gun holstered
- - - because he only reacted to Brown's aggression and therefore would never have arrived with a drawn gun
- across Wilson's body
- and went for the gun
- which Wilson drew
- and turned on Brown
- within the car
- or anything inside of his car

And I'd like you to sort of act that out in your living room and describe to me the movements between the gun grab and the shot and how you envision that working.

Irrespective of Dorian Johnson's testimony.
You take Wilson's testimony and act it out and see how that looks to you.
And get back to us on that.
How does that related to the biased statement I was addressing? And your account of Wilson's testimony does not match the actual testimony - http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1371234-interview-po-darren-wilson.html. Start at page 7

How does that related to the biased statement I was addressing?

It doesn't which is why I wondered what made you bring it up.

And your account of Wilson's testimony does not match the actual testimony - http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1371234-interview-po-darren-wilson.html. Start at page 7

Thank you for the link. One needs to start reading at page 5, actually.

so:
- with his gun holstered
- and Wilson grabbed his arm to try to control him
- across Wilson's body
- and went for the gun and started hitting Wilson
- which and Wilson drew
- and turned on Brown
- who pinned his gun against Wilson's left hip
- within the car
- and Wilson pivoted the gun, held in his right hand, pointed at his own left hip
- or anything inside of his car and apparently shot through his own door, breaking the window

So try that.
-

It doesn't which is why I wondered what made you bring it up.
Then why did you quote what I said and respond with something unrelated?

Thank you for the link. One needs to start reading at page 5, actually.

so:
- with his gun holstered
- and Wilson grabbed his arm to try to control him
- across Wilson's body
- and went for the gun and started hitting Wilson
- which and Wilson drew
- and turned on Brown
- who pinned his gun against Wilson's left hip
- within the car
- and Wilson pivoted the gun, held in his right hand, pointed at his own left hip
- or anything inside of his car and apparently shot through his own door, breaking the window

So try that.
-
The poster I responded to believes the story that Wilson initially reached for Brown. How does this abbreviated testimony corroborate that story? The argument from incredulity you present isn't compelling. You tell me where something is clearly impossible or highly improbable. Btw, you left out numerous details in that abbreviated narrative.

Back
Top Bottom