• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

There are election deniers running in almost every state in the US.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
WaPo has an exclusive article today that I will gift. It includes a list of which states have GOP election deniers running for various offices, some which would control future elections. Imo, this is some scary shit and no decent, intelligent persons should be voting GOP if democracy is important to them.

https://wapo.st/3yoxwXU

A majority of Republican nominees on the ballot this November for the House, Senate and key statewide offices — 299 in all — have denied or questioned the outcome of the last presidential election, according to a Washington Post analysis.

Candidates who have challenged or refused to accept Joe Biden’s victory are running in every region of the country and in nearly every state. Republican voters in four states nominated election deniers in all federal and statewide races The Post examined.

Although some are running in heavily Democratic areas and are expected to lose, most of the election deniers nominated are likely to win: Of the nearly 300 on the ballot, 174 are running for safely Republican seats. Another 51 will appear on the ballot in tightly contested races.

The Post’s count — assembled from public statements, social media posts, and actions taken by the candidates to deny the legitimacy of the last presidential vote — shows how the movement arising from Trump’s thwarted plot to overturn the 2020 election is, in many respects, even stronger two years later. Far from repudiating candidates who embrace Trump’s false fraud claims, GOP primary voters have empowered them.

Scholars said the predominance of election deniers in the GOP bears alarming similarities to authoritarian movements in other countries, which often begin with efforts to delegitimize elections. Many of those promoting the stolen-election narrative, they said, know that it is false and are using it to gain power.
“Election denialism is a form of corruption,” said Ruth Ben-Ghiat, the author of “Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present” and a historian at New York University. “The party has now institutionalized this form of lying, this form of rejection of results. So it’s institutionalized illegal activity. These politicians are essentially conspiring to make party dogma the idea that it’s possible to reject certified results.”
There's a lot more detail in the article, which should be available for about 2 weeks for those who are interested. Forget about who is too liberal or who you disagree with! For the sake of democracy, don't let these election deniers come to power. They are the biggest threat to our system of government that I've seen in my lifetime.

Yeah, in my state, the GOP candidate for the secretary of state refuses to say if Biden won the election. Now, she won't say there are actual problems with election fraud, just that "there are people who are upset about it". As if unsupported allegations and "feelings" are sufficient to push for substantive changes to make voting more difficult.

Yeah, in my state, the GOP candidate for the secretary of state refuses to say if Biden won the election. Now, she won't say there are actual problems with election fraud, just that "there are people who are upset about it". As if unsupported allegations and "feelings" are sufficient to push for substantive changes to make voting more difficult.
Say it's for one reason, do it for another: the SOP of the GQP.

I recall being asked on the forum what my ulterior motive was for seeking some policy or another as if it wasn't apparent that when people in general are subjected to less bullshit, be it debt or sex based oppression, I happen to get subjected to less of that bullshit, along with everybody else.

In some respects maintaining these imbalances in society so to have personal gain is like standing in front of an open fridge in the summer. You're going to cool down a bit, but it's phyric. It only makes sense until you close the fridge and notice your house is now so much hotter in exchange for that fleeting seeming benefit.

The fact is, when you are realistic and ethical of what motives you allow yourself to pursue, it becomes a lot easier to achieve those things without hiding your intent.

I found an article that describes some of the election deniers in four important states. These are people who, if they win, will have some control over the elections. I know we have a large number of Republican election deniers in Georgia, but none who would be in charge of our elections, afaik.

https://georgiarecorder.com/2022/08...ng-to-control-voting-in-four-critical-states/

In Michigan, Kristina Karamo, a community college professor who worked the polls in 2020 and claimed the election was fraudulent, is challenging Democrat Jocelyn Benson, the current office holder, for secretary of state. Karamo won the Michigan Republican Party’s nomination in April.

After the 2020 election, Karamo served as a poll challenger at the TCF Center in Detroit and went on Fox News as a “whistleblower” to falsely claim that she witnessed fraud on Election Day. She alleged without evidence that votes were incorrectly counted for Joe Biden and that “thousands” of ballots were dropped off in the middle of the night.

A month after the election, she testified before a state Senate committee about the fraud she said she witnessed.

Karamo hosts a podcast where she claims that left-wing anarchists organized the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to CNN.

“I believe this is completely Antifa posing as Trump supporters,” Karamo said on an episode the day after the insurrection, according to CNN’s analysis. “I mean, anybody can buy a MAGA hat and put on t-shirt and buy a Trump flag.”

In recent months, she has campaigned against Benson, who she calls an “authoritarian leftist” and who she says isn’t protecting the integrity of Michigan’s elections.

Do you all think these people really believe the shit they are spouting or are they simply using these conspiracy theories to manipulate the more ignorant voters? I have no idea how many of these people have a chance of winning. According to the WaPo piece, some of them will probably win. The ones who are running for positions like SOS, who control the elections are the most worrisome. At least in Georgia, our Republican SOS didn't deny the outcome of the last election. He will most likely be reelected. Please share what you know about your state, especially if you live in one of the states like Arizona, Michigan, Minnesota and few others where the deniers are running for positions that will have the power to control elections.

I found an article that describes some of the election deniers in four important states. These are people who, if they win, will have some control over the elections. I know we have a large number of Republican election deniers in Georgia, but none who would be in charge of our elections, afaik.

https://georgiarecorder.com/2022/08...ng-to-control-voting-in-four-critical-states/

In Michigan, Kristina Karamo, a community college professor who worked the polls in 2020 and claimed the election was fraudulent, is challenging Democrat Jocelyn Benson, the current office holder, for secretary of state. Karamo won the Michigan Republican Party’s nomination in April.

After the 2020 election, Karamo served as a poll challenger at the TCF Center in Detroit and went on Fox News as a “whistleblower” to falsely claim that she witnessed fraud on Election Day. She alleged without evidence that votes were incorrectly counted for Joe Biden and that “thousands” of ballots were dropped off in the middle of the night.

A month after the election, she testified before a state Senate committee about the fraud she said she witnessed.

Karamo hosts a podcast where she claims that left-wing anarchists organized the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to CNN.

“I believe this is completely Antifa posing as Trump supporters,” Karamo said on an episode the day after the insurrection, according to CNN’s analysis. “I mean, anybody can buy a MAGA hat and put on t-shirt and buy a Trump flag.”

In recent months, she has campaigned against Benson, who she calls an “authoritarian leftist” and who she says isn’t protecting the integrity of Michigan’s elections.

Do you all think these people really believe the shit they are spouting or are they simply using these conspiracy theories to manipulate the more ignorant voters? I have no idea how many of these people have a chance of winning. According to the WaPo piece, some of them will probably win. The ones who are running for positions like SOS, who control the elections are the most worrisome. At least in Georgia, our Republican SOS didn't deny the outcome of the last election. He will most likely be reelected. Please share what you know about your state, especially if you live in one of the states like Arizona, Michigan, Minnesota and few others where the deniers are running for positions that will have the power to control elections.

Arizona checking in. Kari Lake - candidate for governor - is a shameless grifter. A former Obama supporter and news anchor (presumably with some journalism skills) whose position on abortion became really wobbly when it became clear that voters were upset about Dobbs. She is courting the MAGA crowd to the point of having Trump sharing equal space on her campaign signs. I'd bet dollars to donuts she knows the election wasn't "stolen" and is just trying to sucker the rubes.

Finchem - candidate for SoS - is another matter. He was at the January 6th rally and appears to be a "true believer" in the election conspiracies. He wants to revamp our entire elections process which - it should be noted - delivered Republican wins in every Presidential contest from Bush, to McCain, Romney, and Trump in 2016 with no major changes to the system and no claims of "fraud." The only thing that changed in 2020 was that Trump lost. He's running against Adrian Fontes, who was the County Recorder for that election, and if you're thinking "ah, that's where the fraud was!", he lost that race, his Republican replacement looked into the election and found - shocker - no fraud whatsoever. That official published his findings, and promptly started receiving threats from the MAGA crowd and accusations of being a "RINO."

The AZ Senate President Karen Fann is an election denier who organized the "Cyber Ninjas" stunt audit, and the head of the AZ GOP is Kelli Ward...a nutcase some have called "Chemtrail Kelli" because her "Jewish Space Lasers" moment was about chemtrails.

We do have some sane Republicans (the above mentioned County Recorder, outgoing Rep Rusty Bowers) when it comes to elections, but they've been sidelined by the nutcases. Both the Governor and SoS races are too close to call at this point. The only one that seems in the bag is Mark Kelly defeating Blake Masters. Their debate is tonight. I'll be watching.

Yeah, Stacy Abrams is running for Georgia governor.
Stacy Abrams lost by 50,000 votes. Kemp threw out 100,000 black voter registrations just a few months before the election. If anyone has a case, it's Abrams.
More importantly, Ms. Abrams is not denying the validity of the actual vote count or alleging irregularities with ballots. We will never know how those whose registrations were thrown out and denied a vote would have voted. But alleging that state employees conspired to miscount or throw out ballots (i.e. engage in illegal activities) without a shred of proof is significantly different than complaining about voter suppression.

Yeah, Stacy Abrams is running for Georgia governor.
Stacy Abrams lost by 50,000 votes. Kemp threw out 100,000 black voter registrations just a few months before the election. If anyone has a case, it's Abrams.
More importantly, Ms. Abrams is not denying the validity of the actual vote count or alleging irregularities with ballots. We will never know how those whose registrations were thrown out and denied a vote would have voted. But alleging that state employees conspired to miscount or throw out ballots (i.e. engage in illegal activities) without a shred of proof is significantly different than complaining about voter suppression.
I was going to ignore that stupid post, but since you mentioned it, I will add more clarification. Abrams didn't formally concede, but never once did she say that she won the election. She never said that votes were being flipped or anything of that nature. Her objection was primarily based on the fact that Kemp was the SOS at the time and the SOS is in charge of elections in Georgia. Kemp was asked to step down from his position when he was running for governor the first time, as it certainly seemed like a conflict of interest to be in charge of your own election. There was some evidence, as LD mentioned of voter suppression, although I don't think there was enough evidence to prove it.

Stacey is all about voting fairness. She wants everyone to vote and she wants everyone's votes to be counted, to quote her, "Count every vote". It's disingenuous to compare someone like Stacey to the Republicans who are literally trying to over turn our democratic elections. Unfortunately, she has been so demonized by her opponent that I doubt she will win in November. Ironically, when she was a member of the Georgia House, she was highly respected by both parties for her willingness to work across the aisle and compromise. Now, she has been tarred as a far left commie.

Dana Milbank wrote a piece yesterday that described numerous Republican, election denying crazies, along with some who just nuts. I'm gifting it and suggest that anyone interested in this problem facing the. US, read the descriptions of some of these people. To give you a taste, I'll quote a little bit from the piece.

https://wapo.st/3T28pCB

Then there are: the Texas woman accused by her estranged husband of cruelty toward his teenage daughter; the Colorado woman who backed an effort to secede from her state; the Virginia woman who speculated that rape victims wouldn’t get pregnant; and the Wisconsin man who used campaign funds from his failed 2020 race to come to Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, where he apparently breached Capitol barricades.
What they all have in common is that they’re in competitive races, which means they could well be part of a Republican House majority in January. And that’s on top of a larger group of GOP nominees in deep-red congressional districts who are a motley assortment of election deniers, climate-change deniers, QAnon enthusiasts and Jan. 6 participants who propose to abolish the FBI and ban abortion with no exceptions, among other things. Some won nominations despite efforts by party leadership to stop them and continue without financial support from the National Republican Congressional Committee.
Maybe this is why Kevin McCarthy, the man who as House speakerwould have the task of leading this rogues’ gallery, calls his agenda a “Commitment to America.” Many members of his new majority might be good candidates for commitment.

I also heard something interesting this morning that I had never thought of before. It was about why so many Latino men vote Republican. One reason is that liberals spend a lot of time bashing the country, while conservatives spend a lot of time praising the country. If a person becomes a citizen after leaving a place like Mexico or one of the more oppressive. SA countries, it's easy to embrace the US, despite all it's flaws. Maybe the Dems should be the ones shouting, USA USA USA!, if we want to attract more voters, especially male voters. Just a thought. We better figure out something or we will continue to head toward crazy town.

Dana Milbank wrote a piece yesterday that described numerous Republican, election denying crazies, along with some who just nuts. I'm gifting it and suggest that anyone interested in this problem facing the. US, read the descriptions of some of these people. To give you a taste, I'll quote a little bit from the piece.

https://wapo.st/3T28pCB

Then there are: the Texas woman accused by her estranged husband of cruelty toward his teenage daughter; the Colorado woman who backed an effort to secede from her state; the Virginia woman who speculated that rape victims wouldn’t get pregnant; and the Wisconsin man who used campaign funds from his failed 2020 race to come to Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, where he apparently breached Capitol barricades.
What they all have in common is that they’re in competitive races, which means they could well be part of a Republican House majority in January. And that’s on top of a larger group of GOP nominees in deep-red congressional districts who are a motley assortment of election deniers, climate-change deniers, QAnon enthusiasts and Jan. 6 participants who propose to abolish the FBI and ban abortion with no exceptions, among other things. Some won nominations despite efforts by party leadership to stop them and continue without financial support from the National Republican Congressional Committee.
Maybe this is why Kevin McCarthy, the man who as House speakerwould have the task of leading this rogues’ gallery, calls his agenda a “Commitment to America.” Many members of his new majority might be good candidates for commitment.

I also heard something interesting this morning that I had never thought of before. It was about why so many Latino men vote Republican. One reason is that liberals spend a lot of time bashing the country, while conservatives spend a lot of time praising the country. If a person becomes a citizen after leaving a place like Mexico or one of the more oppressive. SA countries, it's easy to embrace the US, despite all it's flaws. Maybe the Dems should be the ones shouting, USA USA USA!, if we want to attract more voters, especially male voters. Just a thought. We better figure out something or we will continue to head toward crazy town.
That is something I have mentioned a few times on these fora. So many Yanks bag your country yet cannot understand why it is a magnet for so many. That is circle you will need to square by yourselves.
That being said your country is not flawless and has serious problems and storms ahead. I am in Australia and are glad that you are "over there".
Someone once say that Mexico was too far from God and too close to the United States. (I see if i can find it). The 2nd part is all too true.

Are they denying the 2016 election or the 2020 election?
I think you know damn well what we're talking about. Those who may have questioned the results of other elections, never pretended that the losing party won, and they dropped their suspicions very quickly. We now have a former president as well as nearly 300 people running for offices that are claiming Tfg won the last election, despite the fact that there have been numerous recounts that prove this isn't true. Nobody asked for recounts in several states when they had suspicions regarding earlier elections. It's odd that these folks only question the integrity of elections when their own party loses, isn't it? Hopefully, your post was just meant to be amusing and you don't really believe the conspiracy theories that have dominated so many Republican circles.

I think you know damn well what we're talking about. Those who may have questioned the results of other elections, never pretended that the losing party won, and they dropped their suspicions very quickly.

That's why the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election continued for more than 2 years.

I think you know damn well what we're talking about. Those who may have questioned the results of other elections, never pretended that the losing party won, and they dropped their suspicions very quickly.

That's why the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election continued for more than 2 years.
Yay!!! Jason is defending Trump and the Russians again. But he totally doesn't support them. :cheer:

Yay!!! Jason is defending Trump and the Russians again. But he totally doesn't support them. :cheer:
You have a very interesting definition of "defending Trump and the Russians", one that has no actual relation to the real world.

If you are so very mentally limited that you can only imagine two sides only two sides and nothing but two sides, I guess one could stretch my statements beyond what they actually mean to look as if they might be support of "the other side". It takes an incredible amount of mental gymnastics to come to such a conclusion though.

You have a very interesting definition of "defending Trump and the Russians", one that has no actual relation to the real world.

If you are so very mentally limited that you can only imagine two sides only two sides and nothing but two sides, I guess one could stretch my statements beyond what they actually mean to look as if they might be support of "the other side". It takes an incredible amount of mental gymnastics to come to such a conclusion though.
Explain what the third and fourth side is. I really want to know.

Well, evidence was found that some Russians did try to interfere with the 2016 election, but that's not the same thing as outright denying the results of a fair election, especially considering how many times ballots were recounted and the results were always the same.

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/cyber/russian-interference-in-2016-u-s-elections

On July 13, 2018, a federal grand jury sitting in the District of Columbia returned an indictment against 12 Russian military intelligence officers for their alleged roles in interfering with the 2016 United States (U.S.) elections. The indictment charges 11 defendants, Boris Alekseyevich Antonov, Dmitriy Sergeyevich Badin, Nikolay Yuryevich Kozachek, Aleksey Viktorovich Lukashev, Artem Andreyevich Malyshev, Sergey Aleksandrovich Morgachev, Aleksandr Vladimirovich Osadchuk, Aleksey Aleksandrovich Potemkin, Ivan Sergeyevich Yermakov, Pavel Vyacheslavovich Yershov, and Viktor Borisovich Netyksho, with a computer hacking conspiracy involving gaining unauthorized access into the computers of U.S. persons and entities involved in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, stealing documents from those computers, and staging releases of the stolen documents to interfere with the 2016 U.S. presidential election. The indictment also charges these defendants with aggravated identity theft, false registration of a domain name, and conspiracy to commit money laundering. Two defendants, Aleksandr Vladimirovich Osadchuk and Anatoliy Sergeyevich Kovalev, are charged with a separate conspiracy to commit computer crimes, relating to hacking into the computers of U.S. persons and entities responsible for the administration of 2016 U.S. elections, such as state boards of elections, secretaries of state, and U.S. companies that supplied software and other technology related to the administration of U.S. elections. The United States District Court for the District of Columbia in Washington, D.C. issued a federal arrest warrant for each of these defendants upon the grand jury’s return of the indictment.
Despite finding the evidence that the above Russian military intelligence officers may have tried to interfere with the 2016 election, I've not known of a single Democrat who is running while denying the results of the 2016 election. Have you bothered to study the hundreds of Republicans who are running in 2022 while spreading outright lies about the last election?

Explain what the third and fourth side is. I really want to know.
You aren't even capable of understanding that a third viewpoint could even exist.
Insult aside, I'm not the only one reading this forum. We all know you have an aversion to actually explaining yourself and backing up your statements but try, just for once.

Back
Top Bottom