• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

These “Skeptics” in the Wild Are an Especially Curious Bunch

phands

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Hardcore Atheist
I love David Attenborough...

During QED (a conference about science and skepticism) over the weekend, this Sir David Attenborough-esque video documenting the “migration of the Skeptic” opened up the festivities.

What a hilarious way to get people excited about the event — and learn more about their own kind.

[YOUTUBE]xgOMiyjitjA[/YOUTUBE]

I laughed out loud several times. Credit goes to Matt White of SuperGrizzly for creating it.

http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...-in-the-wild-are-an-especially-curious-bunch/

Nietzsche talked about the philosopher as a loner for many of the reasons pointed out in this satire.

The mind turned hyper-skeptical is not the gregarious mind of an ape anymore.

It has lost the ability to just flow with bullshit and not care as most people do.

But a person can train themselves to not care about the crazy opinions of others and it makes human interaction much easier but not more satisfying.

But a person can train themselves to not care about the crazy opinions of others and it makes human interaction much easier but not more satisfying.

Unless, of course, they hold opinions which do cause major degrees of harm, such as: climate change denial, anti-vaccination, holocaust denial...

I am so skeptical I doubt something I did works even when it does.

Unless, of course, they hold opinions which do cause major degrees of harm, such as: climate change denial, anti-vaccination, holocaust denial...

I think a rational skeptic weighs the costs and benefits of putting up with such an opinion.

Usually the cost is nil. The benefit is that social interaction can occur in a less heated and serious manner.

The skeptic has to give up seriousness to get along.

They can't take a lot of humans seriously. They just have to pretend they do.

If you work with a born-again Christian you can pretend to have no opinion on religion or you can have difficulties.

The skeptics job is not to convert anyone to anything.

They should support causes they believe in but individual confrontation (in real life) is just making your life more difficult for no gain.

I want to start a religion preaching evangelistic skepticism!

A sign someone had in his office.

'In Gad we trust, all else bring data'.

Back
Top Bottom