• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"They all worship the same God"

Someone on a deconversion thread posted a vid with a coked up psychologist pointing out the "attachment system". I do not like psychology jargon but if you want a vague and easily arguable point watch the vid. The guy in the vid says we all have an inborn intuition that there is a God. 50% of children tortured, I mean tested have imaginary friends. Even deconversion falls under the attachment system. Intuitively I know my own God. It tickles my brain things when I worship my God. It makes me feel good. People want to feel good and feeling good could be God if you think, or don't think too hard about it.

It tickles my brain things when I worship my God. It makes me feel good. People want to feel good and feeling good could be God if you think, or don't think too hard about it.
Huh.
I just masturbated, too. Felt good in my brain thing to imagine Miss November riding me like a cowgirl.

It tickles my brain things when I worship my God. It makes me feel good. People want to feel good and feeling good could be God if you think, or don't think too hard about it.
Huh.
I just masturbated, too. Felt good in my brain thing to imagine Miss November riding me like a cowgirl.

Yes, and God and your dead grandmother watched the entire sordid episode.

Someone on a deconversion thread posted a vid with a coked up psychologist pointing out the "attachment system". I do not like psychology jargon but if you want a vague and easily arguable point watch the vid. The guy in the vid says we all have an inborn intuition that there is a God. 50% of children tortured, I mean tested have imaginary friends. Even deconversion falls under the attachment system. Intuitively I know my own God. It tickles my brain things when I worship my God. It makes me feel good. People want to feel good and feeling good could be God if you think, or don't think too hard about it.
That demonstrates that you like to pretend, not that you have any need for a god, whatever it is. The only reason these things called gods are so popular is because you don't have to invent anything on your own, just adopt something that's already around.

Opiates also tickle the brain. That doesn't mean consumption of opiates is good.

And I like Another1's juxtaposition of "imaginary friend" and "my God" as figments of puerile brains. You don't find self-refutations like that every day!

attachment.php

Joedad...I invent things constantly while staying on the rails. My brain things go beep beep when I have faith. I try to be logical. Logic tells me that lovingly prepared sandwiches and free donuts await me in a kind atmosphere. I finally reach that generous place and my logic, plus the happy beep beeps keep me around. Is pretending that you're not pretending that you need to pretend considered pretending? I love God because of the brain tingles. The food, women and community status are secondary to the brain beep that feels so Good. We're all humans, go get a God man! Beep beep. Make ya feel better! JK... not preaching. The neurochemical benefits alone make it worthwhile. I have a good place full of good people to hang out in. I meditate on inventing lots of things including God itself during prayer. I don't think that is a sin. I think that is progress. Why adopt something that is already around and echoing screams from an iron maiden? Logic and the scientifically proven need for a God. The bus looks small and scary but once onside there is plenty of room and many different progressive thoughts floating around. Even if the bus is driving straight to an inevitable state of conscious death... ceasing to exist consciously (impossible) I have at least tingled my brain thingies and I ate until I had to purge with less aware, yet tingling just as much as I, females around me. Dear God if you knew the benefits in my personal community you would understand. Keeping with the topic - it isn't necessarily a bus. It could be a ford Explorer; a subway car; a bike or a damn shopping cart. To assume that I personally do not invent while worshiping my Christian God... Inventing hundreds of things a minute while in meditative prayer is naïve. You just don't know me. I personally forgive you. I go way left field when I pray and eat at the endless buffet made by old women who love their sandwiches so much that you can actually taste love when you bite into one. They have purpose and faith when they make those sandwiches... cut into 4 beautiful pieces and arranged with beautiful precision on that old plate. The brain zaps that are scientifically proven to happen because of their faith give them sandwich power. They may be old, alone and in need of a savior. Watching me eat half of the foot high stacked plate, smile and say thank you psychically could be all they have in this life. I can taste one now. God they are good. I watch my weight so I avoid the junk food donut buffet. I also don't taste the love in them because a hurried man in a car full of screaming children just picked them up at a donut store on his way to Church. Nice intention but less love there. The body of Christ - the bread houses the meats and those old women know this. My church doesn't force communion wafers or anything else down throats. We are kind of meditative through half of the service and we listen to a guy with a nice voice rationalize a mirage that he only feels because a linguistic model to make the mirage an oasis (up to the listener) doesn't and can't exist. Some annoying singing is involved and I wish there were a socially tactful way to give someone a breath strip. Cast an image of what I think during prayer on a television and the television might disappear. I can adopt something that is already around out of logic. What I do with it after I adopt it could be summed up to adopting a rescue kitten. It will grow up to thinking it owns me while I sustain it's life as the protector of a pet in this suspiciously odd life. A mutualism that is unspoken but the brain zaps are there. I get the zaps. The cat gets the bowl of whatever I give it. I think the zaps of faith that are there to give us pleasure through worshiping any God were not evolved. I think the intention to love a God could possibly be the reason you and I were given the chance to evolve. The loving, all powerful God is the driving force behind all. Rescue kittens and free sandwiches sound petty in a world where 10,000 people died of starvation before I managed to finish this post, but hey... logic. You can't solve all of the problems all of the time but you can be aware and solve the entire problem in your own mind. That I believe is what prayer is for in my own life. Like someone mentioned, opiates do cause the brain to zap, but they cost money. Logic... free food, lusty glances from across the sanctuary and "the mechanic" who is a star at church. The guy who is actually honest and will not sabotage your car. It is complex, the way Church life works. The main thing to me is that it does work. I'm zapped by the sandwich power. Dear God I can taste one now. So good I don't even chew. The bread is already moistened by the MIRACLE whip and the ham just slides down the esophagus. I like tasting my food after I've swallowed it. To each their own I suppose. I can say with confidence regarding the actual topic of this thread that not having a God is a God. Trying hard not to have a God is just worshiping harder. I consider most people I meet on boards like this scribes. Very faithful ones I engage on overcast days like this and I try not to express how ironic their very lives are when they pretend that they aren't helicopters crashing into choo-choo trains when they deny, or are unaware of basic human neurochemical discoveries that draw in cheap crayons all over the walls exactly what we are. We're all having fun though. God is great.

Last edited:
If we are talking about a literal object with literal attributes and features, it can no more be the same God than an object can be both a sphere and a cube at the same instance in time.

So, we look at the object, and put it in a box. Then we argue about whether the object is a sphere or a cube. You're probably wrong, but, regardless of which of us is wrong, there's only one object under consideration. The fact that one of us misconstrues the object's shape does not create a second in the box.

But the question is, what is being misconstrued? If one believer claims that God is male and a Monarch. The King of Creation who sits on a Throne in judgement of the living and the dead...and the other believer claims that God is Universal Love and judges no-one, it goes further than just getting the details wrong. The only link between the two opposing beliefs is the word 'God' And that doesn't appear to be sufficient reason to claim that they are referring to the same entity.

Or, we can look at it the other way. We can say that Islam and Christianity agree that there is one true god, the one and only creator of the universe. They discuss that particular god, and disagree on whether it is a trinity. You're right that this god can't be both a trinity and not a trinity, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are talking about two different gods. They could be talking about a single god, with one side being wrong about the trinity stuff.
That makes just as much sense as what you're saying. It is just as good an argument as the one you're making.

That's right, one side can be wrong about the trinity, but that makes them very wrong about the fundamental characteristics and nature of God. It's like claiming God is a Male Monarch sitting on throne if in fact God is the Universal Female energy of love and nurture. Hard to define the two as being the same God. As with evolution, if divergence goes far enough in terms of attributes and characteristics of the animal, you have a whole new species.

So, we look at the object, and put it in a box. Then we argue about whether the object is a sphere or a cube. You're probably wrong, but, regardless of which of us is wrong, there's only one object under consideration. The fact that one of us misconstrues the object's shape does not create a second in the box.

But the question is, what is being misconstrued? If one believer claims that God is male and a Monarch. The King of Creation who sits on a Throne in judgement of the living and the dead...and the other believer claims that God is Universal Love and judges no-one, it goes further than just getting the details wrong. The only link between the two opposing beliefs is the word 'God'

There's obviously a lot more linking the the Abrahamic god(s).

And that doesn't appear to be sufficient reason to claim that they are referring to the same entity.

If there were (was a) real gods (god) that were (was) being referred to, then there could be a truth or falsity to the claim that Jehovah is Allah. Since there are no gods, there is no objective truth to be decided. It's a viewpoint question. Some people think of them as the same god, and some don't. That's all there is to it.

Or, we can look at it the other way. We can say that Islam and Christianity agree that there is one true god, the one and only creator of the universe. They discuss that particular god, and disagree on whether it is a trinity. You're right that this god can't be both a trinity and not a trinity, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are talking about two different gods. They could be talking about a single god, with one side being wrong about the trinity stuff.
That makes just as much sense as what you're saying. It is just as good an argument as the one you're making.

That's right, one side can be wrong about the trinity, but that makes them very wrong about the fundamental characteristics and nature of God. It's like claiming God is a Male Monarch sitting on throne if in fact God is the Universal Female energy of love and nurture. Hard to define the two as being the same God. As with evolution, if divergence goes far enough in terms of attributes and characteristics of the animal, you have a whole new species.

Good analogy. Whether birds are "really" dinosaurs depends entirely on how we define dinosaur. The only thing being decided is viewpoint, how to think about the issue.

If there were (was a) real gods (god) that were (was) being referred to, then there could be a truth or falsity to the claim that Jehovah is Allah. Since there are no gods, there is no objective truth to be decided. It's a viewpoint question. Some people think of them as the same god, and some don't. That's all there is to it.

There is the issue of the given (believed) attributes and characteristics of each version of God. If these attributes and characteristics are logically incompatible, we have have a logical problem: the incompatibility between two or more opposing claims. This may be interesting, but ultimately it is meaningless.

I'm no doubt way off base but I checked out Ulysses and Finnegan on audio tape back when my friend and I were in high school. I think I understand your point about art. My personal philosophy is that the only great art is that which has been destroyed. Kind of Hitler-ish sounding but not. The same friend had an inverted cross on his wall for a long time. I think that was the era when it dawned on me that he had a cross on his wall either way. I was like... dude if you're so against Christianity and all religion, why does your wall dawn a symbol of Christianity? Was he just a Saint Peter fan or what? He waited a few days for dignity before removing it. I started thinking that the filthy, crumbled pieces of green paper in my pocket were God. "They all worship the same God" could be saying they all use the same currency which is basic human neurochemistry.

Last edited:
I'm no doubt way off base but I checked out Ulysses and Finnegan on audio tape back when my friend and I were in high school. I think I understand your point about art. My personal philosophy is that the only great art is that which has been destroyed. Kind of Hitler-ish sounding but not. The same friend had an inverted cross on his wall for a long time. I think that was the era when it dawned on me that he had a cross on his wall either way. I was like... dude if you're so against Christianity and all religion, why does your wall dawn a symbol of Christianity? Was he just a Saint Peter fan or what? He waited a few days for dignity before removing it. I started thinking that the filthy, crumbled pieces of green paper in my pocket were God. "They all worship the same God" could be saying they all use the same currency which is basic human neurochemistry.
The first time I heard this claim about all gods being the same god was from a coworker. So I asked him why there are so many different religions and why they're killing and trying to convert each other. He responded that non-religious people kill people too. So I said that his having religion is no different than my having no religion and asked "so what's your point?" We never talk religion anymore.

As for that wall crucifix thingie I have an inverted flip (wrist rocket) on the wall that I found under a tree while digging out the stump. I recognized it from my childhood and how it resembled a happy humanist symbol. Doesn't look too bad. And the old man made it for me when I was a kid so it has real personal value. Much better than a dead demigod nailed to boards.

Since everyone is exactly the same, one would think that the way God interacts with them is exactly the same as well.

Right, I think I understand your point. I don't like it but I have to go out in the world and work sometimes. This is because I must eat and maintain my needs to survive. I run into all types but mostly people who scoff at any religion as if religion is a bad movie. God hasn't seemed to provide for them in the past so they abandoned God. That is totally understandable and I don't start arguments. If I run into someone willing to listen to my summary of reality as I see it thus far, I'm considered mentally ill unless I use examples and relate the things that I state in complexity to forks and knifes and such. It is sorta like explaining the birds and the bees to a child. In my Church I find no exception. I can not explain to a Christian that he or she is composing his or her own reality beneath the bosom of God, and living as Christ will bring them closer to the bosom. You almost have to be blasphemous and insulting of Christianity to get the meaning of Christ across. Mocking God can be the greatest service to God says God to the devil. I can not find a receptive audience to wrap up the idea that it is all what you make it but you are all as you were made. I usually have to start my two hour long explanation with departing from the assumption that the mind thinks within the brain, or is in any way connected to the brain other than in relay. I make it clear that we are out here with God and our brain is over there. We are out of our minds. I arrive at some point in the explanation that I attempt to prevent grandiosity from seeping into that everything a person thinks is relayed to them, not projected from them. I try to use space as an example and use some terms that are too strange (yet not damned by science) to combat. There is a formula to explain why all Gods are God and simply being conscious is participating in the worship of a God. I try to test and mold the idea by being silly in cyberland and it works. I think we all worship the same God and we are staring directly at a Legend peripheral of it right now as we type. We believe something and even if we believe that we don't believe, we still believe. That gives what we supposedly don't believe more gravity to manifest itself in our own imagined lives. I tell any sincere Atheist not to think about God, but that comes off as being silly. I think that when we think, what we think is what happens eventually. I would suggest Nordic Gods and heroes if that indeed is the case. That is at least cool. I don't know but if you want me to continue I can definitely convince at least one person that I do. That would be a sin or a service to my God? It is a fine line you have to walk sometimes when you want to make a point involving God.
"Hey look at that thing that isn't there". Someone will reply "Oh yes I see it!" Always the same.

Back
Top Bottom