• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Things that make you laugh...

Mel Brooks' first movie, The Producers, has a musical within the movie: Springtime for Hitler. When The Producers was released in Sweden, one distributor got Brooks' permission to list it as Springtime For Hitler on the marquee. This caught on.
The movie did REALLY well in Sweden.
And since then, every Brooks movie (except two) has been a Springtime movie in Sweden.
Springtime for Frankenstein (Young Frankenstein)
Springtime for the Sheriff (Blazing Saddles)
Springtime for Mother (The Twelve Chairs)

Someone tracked snowfall in toasted ravioli.
eP515r1.jpeg

Thrre was a complaint (brag?) that Americans will use anything besides the metric system.

Well, yeah. If i say, for example, "Nine centimeters." the response will be, "'Bout how deep is that?"

If i say "Two ravioli deep." to ten people, I get
Seven nods, information transmission was completed.

Two will ask if i mean two thick or two wide. Clarity is required.

One asks if I'm using Chef Boyardee or deli ravioli.

View attachment 37116

Thrre was a complaint (brag?) that Americans will use anything besides the metric system.

Well, yeah. If i say, for example, "Nine centimeters." the response will be, "'Bout how deep is that?"

Then you get people like us--neither of us knows how big a ravioli is.

View attachment 37116

Then you get people like us--neither of us knows how big a ravioli is.
That's easily remedied; A raviolus (note: 'ravioli' is the plural) is a square with sides the same length as that of a piece of string.

We're in a suburb of Philadelphia, collecting keepers from my sister-in-law's estate (and boxing a zillion books for donations).
We break for lunch and decide on Popeye's. I kniw there's a Popeye's within 5 miles of Martha's house.
I ask the GPS for nearest.
It asks if i want Popeye's # 439.
I don't care what number corporate assigned, i want the one on Ridge ave. I say g'head.
It calculates a path an d starts with the directions.
Ridge Ave is not on the directions. At all.
Mostly freeways, matter of fact.
I investigate further.
I want lunch, NEAR MY CURRENT LOCATION. The GPS gives me a 4.5-hour trip to Pittsburgh. 273 miles away.

Wife comes out to the car.
'Wanna see something weird?' I show her the display.
'Ridge ave,' she reads, 'fifteen minutes away. Not so weird. Lots of tiny little roads, weird traffic...'
'No! Pittsburgh! It said Pittsburgh! It gave me directions to the other end of the state!'
'Why would it do that?'
'I dunno! It was the only restaurant it offered! Until right now!'
'Uh huh.'
'No, really!'
'Can we go eat?'
'........Yeah, i guess.'

We're in a suburb of Philadelphia, collecting keepers from my sister-in-law's estate (and boxing a zillion books for donations).
We break for lunch and decide on Popeye's. I kniw there's a Popeye's within 5 miles of Martha's house.
I ask the GPS for nearest.
It asks if i want Popeye's # 439.
I don't care what number corporate assigned, i want the one on Ridge ave. I say g'head.
It calculates a path an d starts with the directions.
Ridge Ave is not on the directions. At all.
Mostly freeways, matter of fact.
I investigate further.
I want lunch, NEAR MY CURRENT LOCATION. The GPS gives me a 4.5-hour trip to Pittsburgh. 273 miles away.

Wife comes out to the car.
'Wanna see something weird?' I show her the display.
'Ridge ave,' she reads, 'fifteen minutes away. Not so weird. Lots of tiny little roads, weird traffic...'
'No! Pittsburgh! It said Pittsburgh! It gave me directions to the other end of the state!'
'Why would it do that?'
'I dunno! It was the only restaurant it offered! Until right now!'
'Uh huh.'
'No, really!'
'Can we go eat?'
'........Yeah, i guess.'
See. That is why men don't ask for directions. That job requires a woman's touch.

What the goddamned fuck, internet?

Okay, so, in the 70's, i was a big fan of the TV show "When Things Were Rotten." I always understood it to be a Mel Brooks production.
I'm reading his memoirs, All About Me. There's no WTWR chapter. Get Smart, Producers, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles....
Huh. Maybe i was wrong about WTWR?
To the google! In the middle of the Get Smart chapter, i go looking.

I can't find anything that actually connects Mel Brooks to the show. I found ONE site that reviewed it 'with humor in the style of Mel Brooks.' Was that what i was thinking? Did my brain just bridge some jokes and ascribe something illicitly?
WEird. Okay, well, all these years i was wrong.

I turned the page in the memoirs. He lists actors he used in Get Smart, "...and then when i made When Things Were Rotten, i hired him again..."

Son of a fuck!?!?

Back to google. Same search term.
"Mel Brooks' lampoon of..."
"A short-lived Mel Brooks sitcom...."
"...based on Robin Hood's legend, Mel Brooks..."

And of course, 'humor in the style of Mel Brooks.' Well, no SHIT it's in his style. He could junk everything, take meth, and make a Lovecraft Musical and it'd be in Mel Brooks' style.

What the ever loving hell is going on? The internet decided to gaslight me for one hour?
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Or maybe you're just no good at searching. ;)

The credits at the start of each episode list Brooks as the show's creator. IMDB lists him as its creator as well. IMDB also mentions him as executive producer of one episode and lists him as a writer of all 13.

Back to "things that make you laugh". Tucker Carlson whinges that M&Ms are no longer sexy.

Gets mocked for his weird peccadillo. Here is one example:

38tw9rkzwgd81.png

Picking up dinner at the restaurant next to the hotel.
A family with other adults is dining near the waiting area.
Baby about 6 months old on Mommy's lap wants to have what they're having. They give her tiny slivers of food. Just like my kids used to, she tries it on the left side of her tongue, then the right, then spits it down onto the bib. Bite after bite, swish, swash, spush.
Until they give her a pea. She goes Olympic. Spits that thing out, pops it across the table, hits another woman in the face, pea drops to her plate.
The woman isn't sure which pea is the offender, stops eating her veggies. Mom apologizes. The two adult men laugh. The kids giggle. The brother thinks this is the coolest thing the baby has done in her entire life.
Mom catches him spooning all his peas onto a butter plate, to feed them to the baby. Mom angry. Dad and other husband start discussing what distances the baby might be capable of....

I got my order and left before they decided what to call this sport besides PopPea, or what.

Back
Top Bottom