• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

This Catholic school for boys didn’t realize there’s something deeply creepy about their new statue

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.queerty.com/catholic-sc...il&utm_term=0_221c27272a-3837571a11-428273721
Blackfriars Priory School covers kindergarten to 12th grade. It’s an all-boys private institution for pious learning and artwork of questionable taste.

The statue, grandly unveiled last week, quickly a stir among students, who instantly began snapping photos of its decidedly phallic loaf of bread.

The statue features St. Dominic holding aloft this “loaf of bread,” which he’s surreptitiously pulling out from his cloak and gingerly offering to the beseeching boy who kneels before him.

Discerning eyes on Twitter were quick to point out the loaf of bread doesn’t look like bread at all…

statue-phallic.jpg

I mean unless catholic priests ritualistically scar their wedding tackle then yeah it looks like a loaf of bread...

To be fair, within the limits of carving stone, carving an arm that is not pressed against the body is very difficult and creates a weak point that is certain to break. The same goes for the kneeling boy. He has to be pressed against the robe, or you have two separate sculpture.

That said, I've known quite a few Catholic Priests, and every one of them was a worldly sophisticated man. I don't think any of them would have seen the plans for this statue and been naive enough to not see it the way everyone else has.

To be fair, within the limits of carving stone, carving an arm that is not pressed against the body is very difficult and creates a weak point that is certain to break. The same goes for the kneeling boy. He has to be pressed against the robe, or you have two separate sculpture.

That said, I've known quite a few Catholic Priests, and every one of them was a worldly sophisticated man. I don't think any of them would have seen the plans for this statue and been naive enough to not see it the way everyone else has.

Which simply highlights the question of why the statue was allowed to be made the way it was.

I've also known a lot of priests, and my personal take is that not speaking up about such things is ingrained in their culture. Their job rather is to be obedient to authority, and speaking up about things is definitely selected against.

So this statue fiasco is just like pedophilia. Every priest knew it was happening but no one on the inside dared do anything about it for fear of punishment.

Very strange, what are the possibilities? Naivety? Intensional controversy? You'd have to see the potential for sexual innuendo/symbolism/metaphor during the initial design stage...

Very strange, what are the possibilities? Naivety? Intensional controversy? You'd have to see the potential for sexual innuendo/symbolism/metaphor during the initial design stage...

Simple.
The statue is in granite. Stone is relatively cheap but a sculpture is very labour intensive. So you can either have it carved in Australia by a local artist or you can outsource the job to Vietnam, India or china. Labour is dirt cheap there and its offsetting transport cost.
A whole industry sprouted in these countries and you can have nearly everything carved or casted there.

Normally you should have a clay (or gypsum) model (scaled) shipped and approved before carving the stone but apparently the school preferred to mail 2D drawings.
And that is tricky if you are not familiar with it.

Its probably an honest mistake.

I do hope however that the underpaid vietnamese stonecarver had a lot of fun carving this statue.

Note : If I was the vietnamese carving the stone and paid peanuts to allow some fat aussies to save money on my behalf, I would have given the bread a slightly more phallic shape :)

Simple.
The statue is in granite. Stone is relatively cheap but a sculpture is very labour intensive. So you can either have it carved in Australia by a local artist or you can outsource the job to Vietnam, India or china. Labour is dirt cheap there and its offsetting transport cost.
A whole industry sprouted in these countries and you can have nearly everything carved or casted there.

Normally you should have a clay (or gypsum) model (scaled) shipped and approved before carving the stone but apparently the school preferred to mail 2D drawings.
And that is tricky if you are not familiar with it.

Its probably an honest mistake.

I do hope however that the underpaid vietnamese stonecarver had a lot of fun carving this statue.

Quite possibly, but I imagine that a design would be submitted to the client before the actual work began, perhaps several options. I wouldn't buy a statue or anything else without seeing drawings or images of the object to be sculptured or built .

Which simply highlights the question of why the statue was allowed to be made the way it was.

I've also known a lot of priests, and my personal take is that not speaking up about such things is ingrained in their culture. Their job rather is to be obedient to authority, and speaking up about things is definitely selected against.

So this statue fiasco is just like pedophilia. Every priest knew it was happening but no one on the inside dared do anything about it for fear of punishment.

It might have been a commission and when they saw it they were like "Aww fuck it, we already paid for it, maybe nobody else will notice..."

I'm no good with links, but if you go to google, select image, and enter 'Michael Jackson french bread', you'll find a perfect complement to this discussion. And yes...it's just what yer thinkin'.

So that kids feel free to break bread with the priests.

Dick jokes have existed for a while. The original insult pictogram by Hurk depicted Gurgle's hardon for his dogs:

bonerman.jpg

So that kids feel free to break bread with the priests.

Dick jokes have existed for a while. The original insult pictogram by Hurk depicted Gurgle's hardon for his dogs:

View attachment 13281

Those dogs are sporting some serious hardons if you hadn't noticed. Maybe you're on to something. Woof! Woof!

It's odd, if they had ''approved its design'' they must have seen drawings or sketches of the design prior to commencement of work and therefore the potential suggestiveness of the design shouldn't have come as any surprise.

But that's the nature of Bureaucracy I guess.

Article on BBC is here

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-42075110

He said the school had approved its design and commissioned a sculptor in Vietnam, but "upon arrival the three-dimensional statue was deemed by the [school] to be potentially suggestive".
Unquote

Next time dont be stingy, send a plaster modedl for approval
:)

Sculptor in Vietnam hears that Catholic priests like little boys, thinks $$$ and fame. News at 11.

I'm going to have to say it looks quite clearly like a loaf of bread and not a dick...but with enough attitude pretty much anything can be turned sexual...

Back
Top Bottom