• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

This Trump shit has been going on a LOT longer than I had realized

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
A friend posted this youtube with Woodie Guthrie--and a more contemporary roots music group singing songs about Donald's father

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jANuVKeYezs

“Ain’t Got No Home” and “Old Man Trump.” (Trump’s dad was such a racist, Woody wrote a song about it. Here are the lyrics so you can sing along.)

I Ain't Got No Home, I'm just a-roamin' 'round,
Just a wandrin' worker, I go from town to town.
And the police make it hard wherever I may go
And I ain't got no home in this world anymore.

I suppose that Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate
He stirred up in that bloodpot of the folks in New York state
He drawed that color line that we fought in the last war
and we ain’t got no home in this world anymore
(original last line of this verse was: here at his eighteen hundred family project)

Beach Haven ain't my home! - No, I just can't pay this rent!
My money's down the drain, and my soul is badly bent!
Beach Haven looks like heaven where no black folks gone to roam,
No, no, no, Old Man Trump! - Old Beach Haven ain't my home!

Now as I look around, it's mighty plain to see
This world is such a great and a funny place to be;
Oh, the gamblin' man is rich an' the workin' man is poor,
And we Ain't Got No Home in this world anymore.

Yep, nothing like saying "Trump's dad was racist so that means Trump is racist!"

Extreme fail at Logic 101. TDS should be a certified mental illness at this point.

Yep, nothing like saying "Trump's dad was racist so that means Trump is racist!"

Extreme fail at Logic 101. TDS should be a certified mental illness at this point.

There's no therefore there

Extreme fail at Logic 101.
That one broke every irony meter that ever existed and will break every irony meter that will ever exist.
TDS should be a certified mental illness at this point.
Don't be so hard on yourself.

You guys are insane. You are looking to Trump's dad as proof Trump is racist, as if they both have a hive mind or something.

When has the right EVER went after Obama's father and said, "Obama's father believed x! This means Obama does too!"

That one broke every irony meter that ever existed and will break every irony meter that will ever exist.

You guys are insane. You are looking to Trump's dad as proof Trump is racist, as if they both have a hive mind or something.
There is sufficient evidence from the current Mr. Trump's documented speech, tweets, utterings and actions life to indicate he is a bigot. It is not surprising he may have learned it from his daddy.

When has the right EVER went after Obama's father and said, "Obama's father believed x! This means Obama does too!"
Whataboutism is a tool for mental incompetents and those suffering from the most virulent strain of TDS - unthinking adoration of their fuhrer.

There is sufficient evidence from the current Mr. Trump's documented speech, tweets, utterings and actions life to indicate he is a bigot. It is not surprising he may have learned it from his daddy.

Whataboutism is a tool for mental incompetents and those suffering from the most virulent strain of TDS - unthinking adoration of their fuhrer.

If Trump was a racist I would expect him to say something like, "I don't want these blacks rooting for me. I want them out of the Republican party. They belong with the Democrats."

That's what a racist would say.

You guys are insane. You are looking to Trump's dad as proof Trump is racist,

No, we're not. I posted this not as evidence of genetic based racism but as a bit of human interest about Trump and his family.

I come from a long line of people who really, truly believed that white was best. It got diluted a bit over the past few generations, though. It's altogether possible for people to think for themselves and to reach different conclusions than their parents and grandparents did.

I know.

as if they both have a hive mind or something.

You mean the right never tried to claim that Obama was a secret Muslim? Heck, half the people I still know from my old home town firmly believe that and also believe that Obama wasn't born in the USA. There's this thing called Facebook. You should check it out. Also twitter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

In 1973, Trump and his company Trump Management were sued by the U.S. Department of Justice for housing discrimination against African-American renters—a lawsuit which ended in a settlement.[7][8][9] The Justice Department sued again in 1978, claiming continued racial discrimination and a breach of the original agreement, but that case expired in 1982 without resolution.[10]

Like father, like son. Half-life seems to be rather unaware of Trump's racist history.

If Trump was a racist I would expect him to say something like, "I don't want these blacks rooting for me. I want them out of the Republican party. They belong with the Democrats."

A racist might want to keep a bunch of black kids in jail, even after DNA evidence and a confession from the killer proved they were innocents in the crime they were accused of. Because they had to be up to no good...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

In 1973, Trump and his company Trump Management were sued by the U.S. Department of Justice for housing discrimination against African-American renters—a lawsuit which ended in a settlement.[7][8][9] The Justice Department sued again in 1978, claiming continued racial discrimination and a breach of the original agreement, but that case expired in 1982 without resolution.[10]

Like father, like son. Half-life seems to be rather unaware of Trump's racist history.

Yep. Plus who among us believes that Donald is capable of independent thought? Or thought?

Not being a racist, I would expect a racist to say "I want these blacks rooting for me so that I can insure my victory. After all, I have no plans to actually help them". Lo and behold, that is exactly the Republican and Trump platform.

His father, his confessor, every black person he ever spoke to was examined, and every bad statement they ever made was assumed to be shared by Obama, in some circles.
But we are clearly not saying Trump's dad's racism prove Donald's racism.
We're just observing that there is plenty of evidence Trump is a racist
AND
His dad was, too.

If Trump was a racist I would expect him to say
You know, you consistently suck at analogies and at 'what if' scenarios.
Why would a racist politician not want every possible vote?

What, is there some fear that black votes will somehow taint the office?
Your claim makes no sense, much like every other one you try to make.

Rather than try to teach us what racism actually is, try examining the offered examples of how we come to think Trump is a racist, and try to show that there is a non-bigoted motivation behind the behavior.

Here is a hint, agreeing with the racism is not going to accomplish that.

If Trump was really a racist, I'd expect him to call for the killing of black people who had been exonerated.
And guess what?
He did, and he still does.

Trump is a racist of the worst kind. The undisputed fact that his daddy was also a racist may or may not be causal. That doesn't matter though.
Trump is a horrid racist bigot with an IQ of 85 - that's what matters.

Actually, my point in posting that bit of Trump family history/celebrity was not that Trump inherited his racist attitudes from his father but rather that the Trump family has been carrying out its war against working people for at least a couple of generations now, with Junior and Eric absolutely ready to take over and Ivanka there to make it look like they aren't racist at all, since she converted for her husband and is raising her daughter to be Jewish-ish.

Some people only know what their families teach them. Some learn to think for themselves. We'll see how this generation shapes up but I'm guessing that this is a family hell bent on establishing and maintaining a dynasty without bounds, materially, legally, illegally: whatever it takes.

H9w do we know that Guthrie was referring to Trump's father?

Was he that well known at the time? Is there a journal entry about it?

H9w do we know that Guthrie was referring to Trump's father?

Was he that well known at the time? Is there a journal entry about it?

Well, he was Woodie Guthrie's landlord. And yes, there are handwritten notes and other documentation

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/c...p-and-woody-guthrie-for-the-midterm-elections

Guthrie didn’t much like the place—he took to calling it “Bitch Havens” in his correspondence—and, in 1954, he wrote a delightfully scornful song about Trump’s discriminatory rental policies. Several handwritten drafts of the lyrics—sometimes titled “Beach Haven Race Hate,” “Beach Haven Ain’t My Home,” and “Old Man Trump”—are presently on display at the Woody Guthrie Center, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Will Kaufman, a professor of American literature and culture at the University of Central Lancashire, in Britain, was the first researcher to discover the lyrics in Guthrie’s considerable archive. (Guthrie never recorded or published the song.) Earlier this week, I went to see them in person. The first verse is explicit in its indictments:

I suppose
Old Man Trump knows
Just how much
Racial Hate
He stirred up
In the bloodpot of human hearts
When he drawed
That color line

https://www.nytimes.com/politics/fi...-landlord-donald-trumps-father/?module=inline

Mr. Guthrie even reworked his song “I Ain’t Got No Home” into a critique of Fred Trump, according to Mr. Kaufman:

Beach Haven ain’t my home!
I just can’t pay this rent!
My money’s down the drain!
And my soul is badly bent!
Beach Haven looks like heaven
Where no black ones come to roam!
No, no, no! Old Man Trump!
Old Beach Haven ain’t my home!

Of course, there is ample documentation of court cases against Fred Trump's practices.

https://www.nytimes.com/times-insider/2015/07/30/1973-meet-donald-trump/

“Major Landlord Accused of Antiblack Bias in City,” the headline stated. The Department of Justice had brought suit in federal court in Brooklyn against Mr. Trump and his father, Fred C. Trump, charging them with violating the Fair Housing Act of 1968 in the operation of 39 buildings.

“The government contended that Trump Management had refused to rent or negotiate rentals ‘because of race and color,’ ” The Times reported. “It also charged that the company had required different rental terms and conditions because of race and that it had misrepresented to blacks that apartments were not available.”

I had known about the allegations and lawsuits but not about Guthrie's songs.

Please feel free to google for more information if you're still unsure that Guthrie's songs were about Fred Trump.

Now that is interesting.

There is so much TDS going around (which is understandable) that some posters here make assumptions that are overly broad and get stung when they are wrong about the facts of a particular case.

But for pro Trumpers to Crow over TDS inspired overreach is very lame. Trump can be nailed for a lot of provable things, even for actual middle class and poorer white racists Trump is a disaster. The whole thing is bonkers.Trump is no Father Coughlin or Huey Long.

Trump is a much more racist Mitt Romney.

Back
Top Bottom