• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Top 5 Myths About Christmas

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
Top 5 Myths About Christmas

Not sure what I think about some of these. One of the points discusses the true authorship of the poem "The Night Before Christmas" published in 1822. Another point mentions that Santa Claus wasn't mentioned as coming down a chimney until 1837. And yet the 1822 poem has Santa entering the house through the chimney.

there are probably more myths about myths about Xmas by now than there are actual myths about Xmas. I stopped caring long ago. Now, I just enjoy the season and all the rigmarole, safe in the knowledge that it's all based on one, original, myth. By which I don't mean the Jesus myth, but the original let's-base-a-feast-around-midwinter-and-the-solstice-and rebirth-of-the-light-and-all-that myth, whatever that was and wherever it came from. There's a reason for the season, and it's nice to party in the dark months, despite the best efforts of those who want it only to be about their myth.

God Jul!

Several of those are dubious. The commercialization of Christmas certainly helped it stay relevant in an increasingly capitalist world, but they did not by any means invent it, nor Christmas letters (cards, yes, but as there were no premade cards for any purpose before the industrialization of the paper business, this means very little). Christmas itself was already a popular holiday and had been for centuries, on several occasions surviving despite government persecution under the Pietists and their various successors. More of a drinking holiday perhaps, but even a cursory review of history indicates that it always has been and continues to be a significant opportunity for alcohol consumption.

Indeed, I suspect said Pietists are also responsible for the sordid reputation the holiday has often enjoyed, perhaps to the point of considerable exaggeration. People who are suspicious that sneezing might be a sign of hidden sinfulness may not be the best people to ask about the general character of a partly secular holiday.

And while the religious version of the same holiday has shifted in its focus and relative importance several times, it is demonstrably ancient as well, as the documentary evidence from at least fourteen centuries of sermons and hymns attest. In the 380s, St John the Golden-tongued preached his pulpit blue every year trying to arouse interest in the then-new holiday; you can still read many if these homilies, which speak of the Nativity mostly in quite familiar terms to anyone who has ever heard a Christmas homily in the present day. Thst particular message has changed remarkably little over the centuries.

I stopped caring long ago. Now, I just enjoy the season and all the rigmarole, safe in the knowledge that it's all based on one, original, myth. By which I don't mean the Jesus myth, but the original let's-base-a-feast-around-midwinter-and-the-solstice-and rebirth-of-the-light-and-all-that myth, whatever that was and wherever it came from. There's a reason for the season, and it's nice to party in the dark months, despite the best efforts of those who want it only to be about their myth.

Pretty much my take on it too, though I wouldn't call midwinter feasting a "myth".

I hate the dark and cold, and I am happy that it starts to get lighter and warmer again, and midwinter feasting is a bit of celebration over that. That's what the season means to me. It gives some time to think about the year that has soon passed, and about the upcoming year.

Tack detsamma!

The biggest modern myth is that Dec 25 is connected to the birth date of JC.

I believe Christmas was moved by the Catholics to December to compete with a pagan winter celebration.

As a Catholic kid I grew up with Saint Nicolus and Santa Claus. St, Nick was an historical figure who was said to toss money bags to the poor while riding by, or something like that.

Santa Claus was a 19th century creation.

Another myth is the Christians belief it is a holy celebration instead of immersion in greed and materialism.

Jesus was Conceived and Crucified on the same day of the year.

Jesus was Conceived and Crucified on the same day of the year.

Conceived? WTF?
You mean "made up"/invented?

If it was a parthenogenic pregnancy, then there was no "conception". And the baby would be female.

Back
Top Bottom