• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Town at center of GOP pet-eating conspiracy becomes Shithole.

It also shows how enabled and empowered Trump knows himself to be. He knows damn well that his followers hate the mainstream media and live by right wing propaganda exclusively -- so he can say virtually anything and he knows he won't lose any of the faithful. How often have networks like Fox or One America exposed the lunacy of Q-Anon? Has it ever happened? Trump could say that Haitians are planning to kidnap the surviving Beach Boys and cannabalize 'em and he "wouldn't lose a voter."
The problem -- and it seems to rarely penetrate his thick orange skull -- is that screaming about pet eaters doesn't bring him any of the extra 3, 4, or 5% that he needs to move the needle past the midpoint.

Last edited:

Ohio community supports Haitian restaurant following week of false pet-eating claims

The restaurant's manager said that despite the support it has received in recent days, it has also experienced hate.

I wonder which will be more impactful and enduring.
Well if the media has anything to say about it, the hate.

There's many more good people than bad. Some people are just misguided. I think it's good that Harris paints Trump as "chaos". If there's no hope of these misguided people getting their information from anywhere other than FOX news and silly rumors swirling in the toilet that is social media, then boiling Trump down to a single word may be the best path forward.

The claim is bizarre. Adding to its oddity, while it's true that many Haitians are currently facing hunger there are no widely reported or verified accounts indicating that the general population in Haiti is resorting to eating dogs or cats due to food scarcity. It's strange to suggest they would adopt such a habit in America. If anything this reflects poorly on America, that Haitians in Haiti dealing with food scarcity have better eating habits than Haitians in America.
Since it is almost certainly not true, it doesn't say anything at all about Haitians in America.

What is says is that Trump and the people like him are the kinds who would find it entirely plausible that Haitians would eat pets. I wonder what characteristic it could be about Haitians that would make that resonate with them? :hmm:

What is says is that Trump and the people like him are the kinds who would find it entirely plausible that Haitians would eat pets.
The most deplorable are those who know goddam well it’s a lie, but revel in using it to excuse their racist violence.
Meanwhile this is working for Trump. We’re talking about immigration now, not democracy vs fascism.

The claim is bizarre. Adding to its oddity, while it's true that many Haitians are currently facing hunger there are no widely reported or verified accounts indicating that the general population in Haiti is resorting to eating dogs or cats due to food scarcity. It's strange to suggest they would adopt such a habit in America. If anything this reflects poorly on America, that Haitians in Haiti dealing with food scarcity have better eating habits than Haitians in America.
Since it is almost certainly not true, it doesn't say anything at all about Haitians in America.

What is says is that Trump and the people like him are the kinds who would find it entirely plausible that Haitians would eat pets. I wonder what characteristic it could be about Haitians that would make that resonate with them? :hmm:

Playing devil's advocate, it would make more sense if the argument suggested they were stealing people's pets for Vodou rituals. The people making the claim are so ignorant & racist that they couldn't even muster a decent lie.

Edit: And before any conservatives jump to conclusions, they use chickens, goats, and cows because of their symbolic significance. Cats, dogs and geese just aint it for them.

Edit 2: Also, snakes. They can take all of Florida's snakes as far as I'm concerned. :cautious:

Last edited:

Playing devil's advocate, it would make more sense if the argument suggested they were stealing people's pets for voodoo rituals. The people making the claim are so ignorant & racist that they couldn't even muster a decent lie.
But like, what rituals, even? Haitian Vodou, best I can find, focuses on the sacrifice of animals only for the sake of offering sacred food to the community at large, and I can't imagine it would make a suitable or fitting sacrifice to offer food tainted with evil acts (theft, murder of people's loved ones, etc).

The animals used in such sacrifices are specifically livestock raised to the purpose of being eaten. They feed the spirits by feeding others (most notably, the priest), if my reading here is accurate.

Then, given the fact that such sacrificed animals are considered as "food", I expect that the byline would end up the same.

Yeah & to my knowledge, it’s been given a sinister label, largely due to individuals who misuse Vodou to harm others (which, in my opinion, is just as make-believe as every aspect of Christianity). Like any religion, there are people who commit acts of violence against others in its name, so I don’t understand this newly found political outrage beyond sheer ignorance & racism.

Yeah & to my knowledge, it’s been given a sinister label, largely due to individuals who misuse Vodou to harm others (which, in my opinion, is just as make-believe as every aspect of Christianity). Like any religion, there are people who commit acts of violence against others in its name, so I don’t understand this newly found political outrage beyond sheer ignorance & racism.
Hmm.. so, while I believe these methods for harming others are largely ineffective, they do present what I would call "an intent to passively initiate harms".

I would argue Christians are by far the bigger perpetrators of "intent to passively initiate".

I say this because regardless of whether praying to Gawd has primary effects, they aren't just praying to Gawd, they also pray to themselves, are talking to themselves, are asking themselves to see to the desired outcome.

While they are making believe about Gawd doing anything about the situation, they are VERY seriously setting themselves up to taint and bias everything within their power to do so, so long as it does not rise to things whose "report" they cannot blithely ignore.

The problem is that, while subtle, such "make belief" spins out into attempts at reification.

It is clearly racism to label a practical act of magic such as a sacrifice automatically evil or vindictive, but arguably because many such magics leverage their effect through self fulfilling prophecy driven through sunk cost psychology, such sacrifices are likely to be more effective than simple prayer.

Going back to my "silly spell to brush your teeth", you're a lot more likely to brush your teeth when entering the bathroom, if you also remember that you fed the priest with your favorite rooster as part of the reminder... After all, if you don't brush your teeth NOW, what was the point of letting the priest gobble your cock. Wait, is this Vodou or Catholicism?

Dog Eaters of Springfield

Trump:
I saw a dog eater near the animal shelter
Walkin' in Springfield, in the rain
He was pickin his teeth with a poodle's rib bone
Little dog named Fifi, aint that a shame?

Chorus <Laura Loomer and M.T. Greene on the high notes, J.D. and the Vancenaires on the bass notes>
Ah-hoooooooooooo!
Dog eaters of Springfield!
Ah-hoooooooooooo!

Trump:
Cute little lady got groped on Delta flight eleven
Shoulda relaxed and had some fun
Now she's blabbing she got fingered by the Orange Don Juan
And now she'll never be the Chosen One.

(Chorus)

Trump:
I heard about all the dog eaters in Springfield Ohio
Drinkin pina coladas from a golden-doodle's skull
Gonna send Alex Jones on horseback to Clark County Ohio
Gonna round em up and deport em all!!

Chorus - Trump joins in:
Ah-hooooooooooooooooooooo!!
Dog eaters of Springfield!!
Dog eaters of Springfield!!

(Continue as song fades, then eat Double Quarter Pounders with cheese)

Playing devil's advocate, it would make more sense if the argument suggested they were stealing people's pets for Vodou rituals. The people making the claim are so ignorant & racist that they couldn't even muster a decent lie.

Edit: And before any conservatives jump to conclusions, they use chickens, goats, and cows because of their symbolic significance. Cats, dogs and geese just aint it for them.

Edit 2: Also, snakes. They can take all of Florida's snakes as far as I'm concerned. :cautious:
It is 100% legal to kill and eat a chicken that you own.

Lots of this ^^^.

I'm enculturated against eating meat from predators. Other people are enculturated against pigs.
Lots of people around here eat wild game though. Usually it's herbivores like deer, squirrel, and rabbit.

People have different tastes and attitudes towards food, especially prey animals.

Where I live, feral predatory animals are a problem. They are killing off the native critters, especially the birds. I don't blame them obviously, I blame dumbass pet owners who neither provide for, or fix their pets. IOW, irresponsible humans who refuse to take responsibility for their pets.

So while I don't want to eat wild animals like cats and dogs, I'm fine with other people doing it. If you don't want that to happen to yours, keep them under control. On leash, inside, whatever.

Tom

Probably more relevant is that pets need to eat. People simply won't want them when things are bad enough.

"Quick! Gotta make a 'both sides' claim to try to claw back some dignity after being mocked so thoroughly over our rape claims..."

Sadly, such recuperation is not available when some autist or another identifies and loudly describes your behavior.

Lots of this ^^^.

I'm enculturated against eating meat from predators.
It isn't just you or the locals. Though I think it only applies on land. Most things in the water are predators. Except manatees. Damn hippies!

So while I don't want to eat wild animals like cats and dogs, I'm fine with other people doing it. If you don't want that to happen to yours, keep them under control. On leash, inside, whatever.
This falls into the trap of considering that what Trump said had anything to do with animals. It had everything to do with anti-immigration sentiment. Dirty, violent, untrustworthy immigrants. It is a plot to capture all of the deplorable vote, pretty much the best option he has for getting minorities to vote for him.

Trump repeats a proven racist trope on national TV. While even GOP leaning media debunk it, his supporters become more energized by that racist lie.

Sometimes this world is really depressing.

Back
Top Bottom