• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump 2024?

We used to be "The Nation of Immigrants". They want to progress beyond that old nonsense.

Things change. The world changes. Overly permissive immigration policies of the 19th century do not make sense in the 21st century.

First, on the matter of clear English exposition: If the 19th-century policies were already "overly permissive" then they didn't make sense in the 19th century either.

Second, the "replacement rate" for population stability is 2.10 births per female WITHOUT migration. In the U.S. today the birth rate is 1.64 per female. If you're advocating population reduction please say so explicitly.

But more importantly, where do you get your stereotypes of immigration? Are you a victim of Trumpist lies about the millions of rapists streaming across our southern borders?

Obviously this doesn't apply to a smart Infidel like Derec, but some Trumpists are happy only with immigrants who "look like Americans" and worship the Evangelical God. Yet it is Nigerian immigrants who have recently been most successful in the U.S.

Elon Musk was born in South Africa. Sergei Brin was born in Russia. Many top Hollywood stars are immigrants. In many fields, 40% or more of the PhDs awarded by U.S. universities are given to people born elsewhere.

The U.S.A. was truly made great by immigration and that trend continues to the present. It is sad to see Trumpists and other dupes of QOPAnon "philosophy" support the whinings of BillyBob in Harlan County, bitter that Hillary won't let him work in a coal mine anymore.

Good ole Derec, helping keep the anti-immigrant (but I'm not against immigrants) song alive well into the 21st century. Yes, America has hated immigrants almost since the day it was founded.

If we truly knew how much work legal and illegal immigrants did in the US, it would probably be quite shocking to most Americans.

conservatives turned to racism and xenophobia to appeal to white voters who had traditionally voted Democratic for economic reasons.
More like: the left turned toward anti-white identity politics. Things like so-called "affirmative action" and "critical race theory" (which is even infecting math education in places like California) have become non-negotiable among Democrats.
This is a pretty good example of how well the Republican strategy worked. Convince white voters that anything that isn't directly benefiting white people is "anti-white" and they'll believe anything else they are fed.

Nothing comforts the weak minded quite as much as being told it's not their fault.

conservatives turned to racism and xenophobia to appeal to white voters who had traditionally voted Democratic for economic reasons.
More like: the left turned toward anti-white identity politics. Things like so-called "affirmative action" and "critical race theory" (which is even infecting math education in places like California) have become non-negotiable among Democrats.
This is a pretty good example of how well the Republican strategy worked. Convince white voters that anything that isn't directly benefiting white people is "anti-white" and they'll believe anything else they are fed.

Nothing comforts the weak minded quite as much as being told it's not their fault.
It could be noted, so I will, that some people don't want "comfort". They want "conflict", they want to feel "angry", they want to feel "wronged".

Both sides are guilty of this.

It could be noted, so I will, that some people don't want "comfort". They want "conflict", they want to feel "angry", they want to feel "wronged".
It's not that they don't want comfort. Racism and xenophobia were once respectable political and philosophical factions. There was science and theology to support it. The key word is "respectable." There has been a very significant sea change in American culture. Racism is now seen as ignorant and a sign of low intelligence.

It's poor salesmanship to send out a message than makes people think one is stupid, and worse, those who agree are stupid as well. Trump supporters are particularly sensitive to being labeled as "stupid". The new sales pitch is "I'll get back all the stuff you lost." No one will say what was lost, or who took it, because that will bring up the stupid problem again.

I almost feel sorry for the guy. Pathetic. yet he has a cnnce of being reelected.

Washington (CNN)In a new interview published Tuesday, former President Donald Trump called on Russian President Vladimir Putin to release any damaging information he has about the Biden family, in a brazen request for domestic political assistance from America's top adversary.
It's the latest example of Trump's willingness to solicit and embrace domestic political help from foreign powers -- even from Putin, who is currently overseeing a bloody war against Ukraine.

Sununu set up his joke at the Gridiron dinner by citing the possibility that Trump would return to the presidency after the 2024 election. He cited the “experience,” “passion” and “sense of integrity” Trump demonstrated in his tweets.

“Nah, I’m just kidding,” Sununu said. “He’s f---ing crazy.”

Sununu added: “The press often will ask me if I think Donald Trump is crazy. And I’ll say it this way: I don’t think he’s so crazy that you could put him in a mental institution. But I think if he were in one, he ain’t getting out.”

CPAC 2022
The event’s keynote speaker is Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, a longtime supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
What the hell happened to our country? Yes, I get the partisan sniping I can be guilty of, but the right-wing truly seems to have gone to the dark side. And hard! It isn't like they are just uber-partisan and want single party rule, they are aligning with some seriously dark forces out there.

CPAC 2022
The event’s keynote speaker is Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, a longtime supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Back in the police reform referendum period in Minneapolis, local bad-faith conservative groups were using CPAC as their acronym to dog whistle at local racists as a signal that they were trying to obfuscate the issue with a competing ballot measure to draw attention from the primary ballot issue and defeat it with the resultant confusion over which to vote for.

I see CPAC and I see "Americanazi"

It isn't like they are just uber-partisan and want single party rule, they are aligning with some seriously dark forces out there.
"Just WIN, baby!"
(We can loot the treasury some more once we seize control.)
"Power is not a means; it is an end." - George Orwell

CPAC 2022
What the hell happened to our country? Yes, I get the partisan sniping I can be guilty of, but the right-wing truly seems to have gone to the dark side. And hard! It isn't like they are just uber-partisan and want single party rule, they are aligning with some seriously dark forces out there.
I don't know how elections are run in Hungary but Orban won by no small margin.
Marine Le Pen is pulling even in the polls with Macron.
Joe Biden can get no traction in his favorability ratings. In spite of the infrastructure package. In spite of the surging economy. In spite of fighting the good fight for Ukraine.
Twice as many US voters think inflation is a more important issue than Ukraine. And most people have a good idea of what is going on in Ukraine. They've seen the pictures. The millions of mothers and children displaced, but they will publicly state they are more concerned about five dollar gasoline.
What is wrong with people?
All Trump would have to say is two dollar gasoline and he'd be in like Flynn.
And we'd be refucked.

Yeah, Biden promised an infrastructure bill, wildly popular. Got it through a 50-50 senate.

Biden promised out of Afghanistan and it went nearly perfectly, by tail between the legs standards, with the one bombing... and managing to get a lot of Afghans out as well.

Economy is growing.

But people are stuck in Malaise Mode. Well... 40% of the country want to Brandon to die and that leaves about 20% who are on the fence and generally not happy.

Back
Top Bottom