• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump - Alleged Poor Empathy

And that's when the mother quickly snaps back: "How dare you think you know anywhere near what I feel!" "Hey, did you even have to bury a son, let alone one who was killed in combat serving this country with a president as cold-hearted and arrogant as yourself?"

This isn't about her response, it is about Trump's inability to speak to her with empathy.
Yet again, when did I say anything about it being her response? It was my illustration to show a point that people seemed to have missed.
If she didn't blow up at the lame brained, non-empathetic, narcissistic thing that Trump actually said, why would she blow up with something that is essentially the same, but with empathy?
Whether she blows up or not doesn't matter, as I already mention way above, it isn't about her, it is the disrespectful speeches.
Sure, there are tons of emotional responses a grieving person can shout out in the moment, even when empathy is being expressed towards them, but your response here shows that you just don't get what we are discussing at all, and you are lashing out in a feeble attempt to score points for your side.
No, again, since you didn't bother reading my other posts above.

- - - Updated - - -

... no one here should be tallying up the score.

With trump and his suckers, EVERYTHING is about (claiming) "The WIN".
Asking them not to tally points denies them their very raison d'être.
I don't doubt it.

That's exactly the problem. We have little in the way of verifiable context for the conversation. It may have been simply misunderstood by the wife, or by the congresswomen, or people might be misunderstanding her reaction. So the only context we have for what Trump meant by "...he knew what he signed up for, but I guess it still hurt." is from when Trump has a press conference and starts making excuses by blaming past presidents and then whoever he stabbed in the back by inferring they had been the ones who told him. So his sentiments are actually pretty clear.

View attachment 12809

It could have been misunderstood, but then Trump still denied he ever said it.
Agreed.

That's exactly the problem. We have little in the way of verifiable context for the conversation. It may have been simply misunderstood by the wife, or by the congresswomen, or people might be misunderstanding her reaction. So the only context we have for what Trump meant by "...he knew what he signed up for, but I guess it still hurt." is from when Trump has a press conference and starts making excuses by blaming past presidents and then whoever he stabbed in the back by inferring they had been the ones who told him. So his sentiments are actually pretty clear.

View attachment 12809

It wasn't misunderstood. It was poorly stated and improperly prepared. There is nothing about Trump that suggests this is out of character for him.

A less jealous president MIGHT have asked someone, 'what did the last guy say on these calls?'

It sounds like he actually did ask John Kelley what to say, attempted to repeat the words John Kelly told him, but botched it badly because he comes from a place of zero empathy.

I find it telling that John Kelley initially told Trump NOT to call any of the families

It wasn't misunderstood. It was poorly stated and improperly prepared. There is nothing about Trump that suggests this is out of character for him.

Exactly right. Believe a war widow or Trump in regards to such an exchange? I know where I'd place my bet...

Power people don't give a twopenny whatsit for the people they kill, and more sensible one's just send out an impressive-looking bit of paper or cardboard, full of the right, meaningless noises. People grieve for people - bosses just use them.

A less jealous president MIGHT have asked someone, 'what did the last guy say on these calls?'

It sounds like he actually did ask John Kelley what to say, attempted to repeat the words John Kelly told him, but botched it badly because he comes from a place of zero empathy.

I find it telling that John Kelley initially told Trump NOT to call any of the families

It's because, in my opinion, Trump never served... he was a draft dodger.. I don't think the military has any respect at all for him, beyond being sworn to obey orders and be respectful of superiors. He has nothing to draw upon for these engagements and is completely out of his element.... and his condolences wrapped in ignorance and lack of empathy is without value to anyone.

He really should not have made any calls, and instead sent a presidential form letter (drafted by Kelly). When asked why he didn't call, instead of making defensive squawks he should have just said something generally respectful of the military in general and stated that Whitehouse communications with gold star families is personal and private.

This isn't about her response, it is about Trump's inability to speak to her with empathy.
Yet again, when did I say anything about it being her response?

When you said the following:
And that's when the mother quickly snaps back

It was my illustration to show a point that people seemed to have missed.

No. It shows that you are missing the point of the thread, even though you seemed to get it when you asked the following:
Okay, how do you think a person described here would say the same thing, yet completely differently?

I provided an example of how that might be done. Rather than commenting on whether or not that was a good example of a person saying the same thing with empathy, you took it as a challenge as to whether or not a snappy comeback could be made in response.

KeepTalking said:
If she didn't blow up at the lame brained, non-empathetic, narcissistic thing that Trump actually said, why would she blow up with something that is essentially the same, but with empathy?
Whether she blows up or not doesn't matter, as I already mention way above, it isn't about her, it is the disrespectful speeches.
Sure, there are tons of emotional responses a grieving person can shout out in the moment, even when empathy is being expressed towards them, but your response here shows that you just don't get what we are discussing at all, and you are lashing out in a feeble attempt to score points for your side.

I have read all of your posts in this thread, and I was able to come to this conclusion by noticing that you employed the same tactic against others who tried to show you what speaking with empathy would look like in this situation. You asked a question. Answers were provided. You then proceeded to move the goalposts so that the answers no longer met your criteria.

It's because, in my opinion, Trump never served... he was a draft dodger.. I don't think the military has any respect at all for him, beyond being sworn to obey orders and be respectful of superiors. He has nothing to draw upon for these engagements and is completely out of his element.... and his condolences wrapped in ignorance and lack of empathy is without value to anyone.

He really should not have made any calls, and instead sent a presidential form letter (drafted by Kelly). When asked why he didn't call, instead of making defensive squawks he should have just said something generally respectful of the military in general and stated that Whitehouse communications with gold star families is personal and private.

I think what we need is some kind of new technological device where people like Kelly can put in the text of what the Donald needs to say. Then, the Donald needs to read and repeat it, much like a teleprompter with the exception that when he deviates from script, he gets a big ZAP. It is possible that through such Pavlovian mechanism he can be taught to be polite to other people, but even if not, it would still be worth it.

I think what we need is some kind of new technological device where people like Kelly can put in the text of what the Donald needs to say. Then, the Donald needs to read and repeat it, much like a teleprompter with the exception that when he deviates from script, he gets a big ZAP. It is possible that through such Pavlovian mechanism he can be taught to be polite to other people, but even if not, it would still be worth it.

Even when he's trying, he can't.

But what I think is funny is Trump denying he said what Kelly told him to say. So Kelly disarmed what Trump didn't say. This administration is like a carny house of mirrors.

Last edited:

I don't think Trump being a draft dodger has anything to do with it.

Trump is a clear case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. He hasn't got the ability to feel empathy, sympathy or many other emotions normal people feel. It's all him, him, him. Of course when he tries to convey empathy he screws it up. He has no idea of how to do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

No not like Kelly, because he's a fuckup, hack too.

Yet again, when did I say anything about it being her response?

No. It shows that you are missing the point of the thread
As an independent thinker, I expect to be criticized for my thoughts, and I even don't mind being criticized either, but I would prefer, and others should also, that I be criticized for what I actually say, and not for what others misunderstand and/or misrepresent.

even though you seemed to get it when you asked the following:
Okay, how do you think a person described here would say the same thing, yet completely differently?
Yes, and that test has now been mostly ruined by it not being demonstrated by the OP, which of course the OP is under no obligation to answer anyway, even though it was his original assertion.

I provided an example of how that might be done.
Ah, with "bigly?" Again, this is hardly displayed as taking the task seriously, especially when my question wasn't to you, but I played along anyway.
Rather than commenting on whether or not that was a good example of a person saying the same thing with empathy, you took it as a challenge as to whether or not a snappy comeback could be made in response.
No, you didn't really ask why I wrote it out that way, or read/understood what I also wrote to others on this response of mine, you merely assumed, as others did. That is yet another straw man.

KeepTalking said:

I have read all of your posts in this thread, and I was able to come to this conclusion by noticing that you employed the same tactic against others who tried to show you what speaking with empathy would look like in this situation. You asked a question.
I asked the OP the question.
Answers were provided.
If you wanted to answer more properly, then you should have asked the OP first what this honestly means to him, as I already did, then once you know, try to formulate a response out of that new found knowledge.
You then proceeded to move the goalposts so that the answers no longer met your criteria.
Again, these posts were already being moved by others' mere assumptions, and I was just trying to bring it back to its original position.

Yeah, sure, then who writes out what Kelly should properly say, since he makes plenty of mistakes too? Yet that is hardly going to be covered with Trump already used as the default lightning rod.

I don't think Trump being a draft dodger has anything to do with it.

Trump is a clear case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. He hasn't got the ability to feel empathy, sympathy or many other emotions normal people feel. It's all him, him, him. Of course when he tries to convey empathy he screws it up. He has no idea of how to do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
Of course he can convey empathy and sympathy, since he is a manipulator, it is just that the opposition automatically has a wall up.

- - - Updated - - -

No not like Kelly, because he's a fuckup, hack too.
Again, we agree here, even if you do want to doubt it.

No. It shows that you are missing the point of the thread
As an independent thinker, I expect to be criticized for my thoughts, and I even don't mind being criticized either, but I would prefer, and others should also, that I be criticized for what I actually say, and not for what others misunderstand and/or misrepresent.

I can't criticize your thoughts, because I don't know them. What I did was criticize what you typed in your posts, what you actually said. Your post chose not to engage my post on whether or not it met the challenge of showing empathy in a statement, but rather on the basis of whether or not a sufficiently motivated person could come up with a snappy retort to that statement. I don't know what you were thinking when you did that, but I can tell that it bore no relation to the question you initially asked. Thus, it seems to me to be a case of moving the goalposts.

KeepTalking said:
even though you seemed to get it when you asked the following:
Yes, and that test has now been mostly ruined by it not being demonstrated by the OP, which of course the OP is under no obligation to answer anyway, even though it was his original assertion.

This is an open forum, as such anyone can answer a question posted by another user. I don't see how your question can be ruined just because someone else other than the OP answered it. If that is the way you approach all conversations on this forum, you are going to find that your "tests" will nearly always be ruined.

I provided an example of how that might be done.
Ah, with "bigly?"

Yes, that is how our current president speaks. I know it is a fucking terrible example of how the most powerful man in the world should speak in public, but that is what this imbecile does on a regular basis. The OP opined that a person with better speaking ability, and empathy would be able to say the same thing, only differently and have it be empathetic. You challenged him on this. I thought it would be a further challenge to use his naturally shitty speaking ability, add empathy, and still make the statement a much better one.

Again, this is hardly displayed as taking the task seriously, especially when my question wasn't to you, but I played along anyway.

Not only did I take it seriously, I deliberately made it a harder challenge. You did not play along. Playing along would have been to engage my post on the criteria you originally set forth. You chose, instead, to move the goalposts.

Rather than commenting on whether or not that was a good example of a person saying the same thing with empathy, you took it as a challenge as to whether or not a snappy comeback could be made in response.
No, you didn't really ask why I wrote it out that way, or read/understood what I also wrote to others on this response of mine, you merely assumed, as others did. That is yet another straw man.

You are incorrect. Your post obviously did not engage mine on the criteria of the question asked, and instead engaged it based on an entirely different criteria. That is the definition of goalpost shifting.

I asked the OP the question.

If the future, if you would like to present a question to only one user, it would behoove you to send that user a DM, and not place that question in a public portion of this message board, where others will take it as in invitation to also answer that question.

If you wanted to answer more properly, then you should have asked the OP first what this honestly means to him, as I already did, then once you know, try to formulate a response out of that new found knowledge.

No I shouldn't have. I know what it means to make a statement with empathy, I don't need Jimmy Higgins to tell me that. I learned how to empathize with others long before I joined this message board and became acquainted with either you, or Jimmy Higgins, and I am perfectly capable of presenting my own thoughts in relation to questions of how empathy can be used when speaking, even by a moron like our current president.

You then proceeded to move the goalposts so that the answers no longer met your criteria.
Again, these posts were already being moved by others' mere assumptions, and I was just trying to bring it back to its original position.

There was exactly one post between my response and yours, and that was another poster showing how Trump could have used empathy in his statement. Further, no one else posted between the time you asked your question, and the time I posted in response. There was no goal post movement until you responded to my post without regard to the criteria you set forth. This is plain for anyone to see by simply reading the first page of this thread. If you would like to now move the goalposts back to their original position, I suggest you start by engaging my original post using the original criteria contained in your original question.

Back
Top Bottom