• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Can't Be Indicted No Matter What

How Trump's Legal Defense Mimics Christian Apologetics by Godless in Dixie.

1. The Divine Command Theory

Like what King Louis XIV of France once allegedly stated: "I am the state" (L'état, c'est moi.)

2. Compulsive Control of the Terms of Debate: "Looking to the Trump administration, once again it is Giuliani who keeps issuing demands before his client will appear for an interview before Mueller."

3. Diversionary Tactics/Changing the Subject: "You cannot mention Trump’s abuses of power without immediately triggering a knee-jerk deflection to Hillary Clinton, which is a change of subject."

i. Special pleading: "Because he is president, his lawyers argue, he is the ultimate determiner of what is and isn’t “legal,” so it’s not possible for him to break the law. He’s a special case." Like how Xianity is very unlike any other religion.

ii. Ad hominem attacks: everybody but them has big conflicts of interest.

iii. Tu quoque: "You do it too", like Hillary Clinton.

iv. Argument from authority

v. No true Scotsman: Republicans who oppose President Trump are Not True Republicans, and are shut out just like Democrats.

Excellent article, but the scope of the article is wrong.

It's not just Trump's legal defense. Conservolibertarian debating tactics in general follow these patterns, and I doubt that is a coincidence.

Trump's legal defense is the same as the O.J. defense. The cops are corrupt.

The President is the highest law enforcement officer in the U.S.

I don't believe that's true. He's CIC of the Armed Forces, but the AG is the top LE official.
At the end of the day, it could possibly come down to an individual USSS officer, and whether he is able to be convinced that he should permit the lawful arrest of Cheato by agents of the FBI or CIA. I supposed Cheato could jump on the horn and order in an air strike...

Via the "Take Care" clause he has the duty to see that the laws of the nation are enforced. He's the head of the Executive, which is responsible for federal law enforcement. For example, Congress makes laws, but has little to no power to enforce the laws they make because that's the job of the Executive, and would be an infringement on that branch. Further, through the POTUS appointment power he can hire the AG, and he can fire the AG and replace him (for (given) reason). He can appoint the head of the FBI (law enforcement), the head of the CIA (law enforcement), ATF (etc.).

Therefore, the POTUS is the land's highest law enforcement officer.

If one concedes that, then he doesn't have to pardon himself - he can just "not charge himself" with anything (tell whoever might try it, not to).
IOW he's a dictator, just as the Founders clearly intended.
Oh, wait ...

- - - Updated - - -

If Trump pardoned himself, then I think he would be impeached.
By who? The GOP? The party of Free Trade that hasn't done shit about Trump's anti-free trade lunacy?

No No NO! By the Party Of Fiscal Responsibility that just stole $1,500,000,000,000.00 from our children and gave it to their donors.

BTW, what a chattering lunatic Giuliani has revealed himself to be. I could kick myself for ever considering him one of the milder, 'hipper' Republicans -- I guess from his SNL appearances. Jesus, is he nuts.

Back
Top Bottom