• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump claims that homelessness began two years ago and he's going to do something about it!

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/02/us/politics/trump-homeless.html

President Trump said he was “looking very seriously” at American cities that he asserted were overrun with mentally ill and “sick” homeless people who ruin life for others who live and work there.

The president suggested that it was a situation that began just two years ago — even though cities have struggled with homelessness for decades. He also said he “may intercede and do something to get that whole thing cleaned up,” though he did not elaborate on what actions he or the government might take.

Mr. Trump made the comments in an interview that was conducted over the weekend for “Tucker Carlson Tonight” on Fox News and broadcast on Monday. The discussion began when Mr. Carlson observed that New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles have “a major problem with filth.”

The president agreed and called it “very sad” and claimed that police officers in American cities were “getting sick” from dealing with people who were living in terrible conditions on the street.

He said that “we’ve never had this in our lives before in our country,” and he blamed “the liberal establishment” for the conditions in the cities.

“This is what I am fighting,” Mr. Trump told Mr. Carlson. “I don’t know if they are afraid of votes. I don’t know if they really believe that this should be taking place. But it is a terrible thing that is taking place.”

WTF! I remember seeing homeless people in the bowery in New York City when I was a child in the 1950s. There are homeless people in my small, very conservative city. I've given them money many times, and I'd be willing to bet that even some of our white conservative citizens, especially churches have helped some of these homeless folks.

What is wrong with this man? And, what is he going to do, considering it's his administration that has cut back on helping the poor with affordable housing? Is he going to send the homeless to Gitmo or to a detention camp? WTF!

I saw a dog piss on the sidewalk. This is because dogs are allowed to piss on sidewalks. The filth. I'm gonna clean this up. I never used to see dogs pissing on sidewalks. Fucking liberals!

Check back to Hitler in the nineteen thirty-four to thirty-seven time frame and you'll see he was chiming the same tunes.Trump is trying to divide america by every fear he can imagine. Don't look to far down the road to when Trump will be telling us there are gays in old white panel vans going to suburbia and having gay sex on streets where they find children.

Los Angeles homeless problem is out of control and the incompetent buffoons Garcetti and Newsom have done next to nothing to abate the problem.

Los Angeles homeless problem is out of control and the incompetent buffoons Garcetti and Newsom have done next to nothing to abate the problem.

Was it LA or San Fran? One of those cities passed the law that Denver just recently voted against (because of what we see in CA). The (2 years old, I imagine) law gives rights to people to pitch tents in public areas and just live there. It also protects them as a minority group, so yelling at a homeless person that pitches a tent just outside of your house would be a hate crime. Dumbest law ever. This IS a great example of EXACTLY what bothers the Right about the Left.... bleeding hearts to the detriment of everyone.
If Trump ever had a descent point, this is it. The Right should be broadcasting pictures of what the streets actually look like in SF / LA... with headlines, "This is what the far left wants America to look like". The "protect the homeless acts" are a fine example of a poorly thought out law...
When Colorado was the first to legalize recreational pot, everyone else started to follow... when LA / SF passed the homeless law, everyone seems to be recoiling.
LA, you are a great example of what not to do...

California made various law changes and local laws in the cities have just made things worse.

Needles in the street, excrement on the sidewalk, exotic diseases ? Not a problem. Plastic straw ?!! You monster !!

So, those of you who hate seeing homeless people living on the streets, what is your solution? Many of the cities where homelessness is a huge problem are cities that have little if any affordable housing available, and some of the homeowners in these expensive cities want zoning laws that keep out affordable housing. These homeless folks are often veterans, mentally ill folks or people who lost a job, or can't make enough money to afford housing in expensive cities where they've lived for years. Long term mental institutions were closed down in most places, so very unstable mentally ill were often discharged without any planning. What is your solution?

We don't have that many homeless folks where I live but we do have a lot of affordable housing. The last time I visited Atlanta, a city that is becoming less affordable than it was several years ago, I saw two older homeless adults sleeping on small cots under the over hanging of a small store. What should be done for these people? Shelters, when they exist, are often more dangerous than living on the streets according to some stories I've read about some of them. So, please tell us your constructive plans as to how to help reduce homelessness.

It is obvious that this clown is utterly delusional. As to doing anything about it, he'll make some noise, do nothing, and claim he and only he ever really did anything about the problem. Despite no change, he will claim success.

Trump's solution is undoubtedly going to be "concentration camps". Calling it right now.

I dunno about the rest of the posters here, but I seem to recall the last time a discussion came up about the homeless that "give them homes" was the agreed-upon solution, especially after it was shown repeatedly to work to help the problem.

Providing homes for the homeless, providing safe injection sites with needle exchanges, and properly funding mental health infrastructure have long been calls from the left to solve the problem... It's been the core of the left's position every goddamn time this comes up.

And now there is this bullshit echo coming from the bad-faith right that nobody on the left has solutions or answers? Fuck you, if you're parroting that bullshit. It's a fucking lie and you know it!

Started two years ago?

That means His Flatulence caused it!

That was my first thought and I found it shocking that he would acknowledge that anything negative happened during his reign, even if he is completely mistaken about it being a new thing.

I think he's too stupid to understand that.

Leftists are turning once great cities into homeless wards. San Francisco used to be beautiful until it got taken over by libs and run into the ground.

Leftists are turning once great cities into homeless wards. San Francisco used to be beautiful until it got taken over by libs and run into the ground.

Fascists have long been turning once great societies into places where our homeless languish on the streets, through the cutting of mental health services across the country, and the refusal to fund homing initiatives.

Fascists have long been turning once great societies into places where our homeless languish on the streets, through the cutting of mental health services across the country, and the refusal to fund homing initiatives.

(Fascist?) Democrats in Sacramento have allowed some cities in California to turn into shit holes.

Back
Top Bottom