• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump files motion to argue his case to SC

It’s treason to file a lawsuit? That’s pretty stupid.

It is treason to incite violence to overthrow the result of a free and fair election - even if you file frivolous lawsuits to cover your tracks.
It might be SOP in the People's Republic of Trumpistan, but for the moment this is still the United States of America.

It is not treason to insist that the provisions in the constitution are adhered to.

It is treason to try to overthrow the election results after the provisions in the Constitution have been adhered to. And they have. There is no evidence to the contrary.
Spouting falsehoods to justify treason doesn't make it "not treason".

Filing a lawsuit to collect unpaid rent is not treason.

Filing one to overturn a free and fair election is treason.

Tom

It is treason to incite violence to overthrow the result of a free and fair election - even if you file frivolous lawsuits to cover your tracks.
It might be SOP in the People's Republic of Trumpistan, but for the moment this is still the United States of America.

Who is inciting violence? I was promised massive violent unrest by Trump supporters if he didn’t win. But all I got was a new CHAZ in Portland.

Use of the word "treason" in this context seems to be a bit of hyperbole to me.

I don't know a more accurate word to refer to actions taken to abolish the principles of government upon which this nation was founded. It's not like they are "not exactly trying to overthrow the results of a free and fair election", because that's precisely what they are advocating.

Trying to overthrow a duly elected government is the very definition of treason.

It's Sedition.

Sedition is the illegal act of inciting people to resist or rebel against the government in power. It's what the southern states did at the start of the Civil War. Sedition is the rebellious talk and encouragement that might lead to a mutiny, and can be charged as a crime, like treason.

It's Sedition.

Sedition is the illegal act of inciting people to resist or rebel against the government in power. It's what the southern states did at the start of the Civil War. Sedition is the rebellious talk and encouragement that might lead to a mutiny, and can be charged as a crime, like treason.

So for the people yapping “not my president” for the last four years, sedition? While it may offend Zippy’s authoritarian urges, filing a lawsuit is NOT an illegal act. Even if the lawsuit is frivolous.

I can't imagine that SCOTUS will even take this case, since each state has it's own rules regarding elections. There are no federal election guidelines that states must follow. This is all bullshit that is being supported by asshole Republicans who value their power more than they value Democracy or the American people. It appears that they beleive they must look like they are supporting the Trump base. The problem is that all of this has the potential to make people stop trusting our elections. There is no evidence of wide spread fraud but Trump and his toadies in Congress have convinced a lot of people who that our elections aren't fair.

Of course, it is a bit ironic that the party which is always screaming state's rights matter seems to be saying that states rights don't matter when it comes to elections. I just hope this will be resolved soon.

As I understand it, their argument will be that because the changes to the state's voting rules (in light of the pandemic) weren't enacted by the state legislatures they are unconstitutional. The problem is that that argument is invalid because they did not make the argument prior to the election. They're basically arguing to change the rules they agreed to after the game is over. It's a legal principle but I don't remember what it's called. Maybe some of the legal eagles here can remember it.

Filing a lawsuit to collect unpaid rent is not treason.

Filing one to overturn a free and fair election is treason.

Tom

Challenging an election in court is not treason. Probably happens during every election cycle.

Feel free to link to a Clinton challenge to the election of 2016.
Or a Gore challenge to the election of 2000.

Nope. You're kidding yourself.
The TeaParty trumpsters are breaking new ground with their frivolous lawsuits, trying to undermine USA institutions.

Tom

Challenging an election in court is not treason. Probably happens during every election cycle.

The TeaParty trumpsters are breaking new ground with their frivolous lawsuits, trying to undermine USA institutions.

Tom

Good grief. Are you not aware that there are other elections? Every year?

I can't imagine that SCOTUS will even take this case, since each state has it's own rules regarding elections. There are no federal election guidelines that states must follow. This is all bullshit that is being supported by asshole Republicans who value their power more than they value Democracy or the American people. It appears that they beleive they must look like they are supporting the Trump base. The problem is that all of this has the potential to make people stop trusting our elections. There is no evidence of wide spread fraud but Trump and his toadies in Congress have convinced a lot of people who that our elections aren't fair.

Of course, it is a bit ironic that the party which is always screaming state's rights matter seems to be saying that states rights don't matter when it comes to elections. I just hope this will be resolved soon.

As I understand it, their argument will be that because the changes to the state's voting rules (in light of the pandemic) weren't enacted by the state legislatures they are unconstitutional. The problem is that that argument is invalid because they did not make the argument prior to the election. They're basically arguing to change the rules they agreed to after the game is over. It's a legal principle but I don't remember what it's called. Maybe some of the legal eagles here can remember it.

Eo44EbJWMAMq3AS

No comment on chance of success, just that the argument is not meritless.

It is not treason to insist that the provisions in the constitution are adhered to.

It is treason to try to overthrow the election results after the provisions in the Constitution have been adhered to and met. And they have been adhered to and met. The traitors have presented no evidence to the contrary. Yes, they have loudly screamed "FRAUD!", but have not dared to do so in court because lying in court is illegal and lawyers have a peculiar aversion to serving jail time. But spouting falsehoods to justify treason doesn't make it "not treason".

I'd like nothing better than for you to be right about this. Are you absolutely sure that the states in question changed eligibility requirements for mail-in ballots in a way that cannot be claimed to be in violation of the US Constitution? I honestly don't know. That's my whole point. That's the basis of the lawsuit. I'm almost certain bringing this lawsuit goes against the intentions of the people who worded those laws. But once they're worded you don't get a do-over just because you don't like the fact that a lawyer can win a case over a technicality due to that wording.

That's what worries me about all of this. Filing a lawsuit over a technicality is not treason. It's abominable for sure. But abominable is not the same as treason.

To disfranchize voters who cast their votes in good faith would be overkill x 10,000,000 if indeed there was a procedural mistake at the state level.

Tom

Yep.

And I'm also aware that you didn't come up with a contested election important enough to mention.

Because you don't know about one.

At least that's my guess.
Tom

Yep.

And I'm also aware that you didn't come up with a contested election important enough to mention.

Because you don't know about one.

At least that's my guess.
Tom

My guess is he's trying to make it seem like taking an election - even one that isn't even close like this - all the way to the Supreme Court is something that's so normal we barely even mention it in everyday conversation.

It isn't, but this is the year where everything is the "new normal." Global pandemic killing thousands every day in America alone? Normal. A narcissistic maniac refusing to admit he lost the White House? Normal. Right wingers threatening a violent revolution?

Okay that one is actually not new...

It's Sedition.

It's ALSO sedition. I prefer "treason" because people - notably, even trumpsuckers - understand it.
And it triggers Trausti. :D

It's time to start calling things what they are. Some misinformation is just lies, and some seditious acts are committed with obviously treasonous intent.

It's Sedition.

It's ALSO sedition. I prefer "treason" because people - notably, even trumpsuckers - understand it.

It's time to start calling things what they are. Some misinformation is just lies, and some seditious acts are committed with obviously treasonous intent.

I used to be astounded at the ability of right wing authoritarians to accept every new level of fascism and stupidity like it's nothing. But considering how you have to forfeit your own conscience to even support a fascist movement in the first place, it's not at all surprising. There's just no guidelines or principles or boundaries to make them stop and think, "OK, that is wrong." They're like bottomless vessels into which anything conceivable can be inserted and there is nothing at all to filter or discern or inspect it in any way that resembles reason or honest examination. Everything inserted by the authoritative mouthpieces is normal and fine no matter what it is. They're perfect obedience machines.

There's just no guidelines or principles or boundaries to make them stop and think, "OK, that is wrong."

Oh yeah? Just try and take a dollar of their god-given profits for the hell-spawned "common good"!

It's Sedition.

True. Your ignorance tiggers me. Thanks.

True. Your ignorance tiggers me. Thanks.

Sorry that the obvious so readily eludes you. Call the WAAaaaambulance.

Oh, right - your mango menace has manged things so well that they have nowhere to take you... never mind! :)

Back
Top Bottom