• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump in One-on-One Debates?

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
I think not.

If there's one facet of humanity still functioning in the semi-sentient blob of protoplasm called Donald Trump, it's the instinct for self-preservation.
The next Dem nominee is not going to get shocked into submission by him gooning over their shoulder in a debate, is not going to be shouted into silence by his screams of "NO PUPPET NO PUPPET, YOU'RE THE PUPPET!" and isn't going to hesitate to produce facts and sources to forcibly call him a liar in real time. This time Trump has a voluminous track record of corruption, broken empty promises and outright fuckups to throw in his face, and I'm pretty sure that even in the depth of his delusion, his survival instinct will warn him of the danger of facing even the weakest possible Dem candidate in a one-on-one environment with no Hannity, Limbaugh or McTurtle to protect him.

I expect he will publicly deem debates to be beneath him, because "everybody knows that ____________ is a lying commie and debates are rigged blah blah blah" and therefore decline to participate, setting a new shining example for incumbent presidents, to the cheers of his 22% base.

What do y'all think?

Probably. What would he have to gain by doing the debates? They're run by the librul elites and totally biased against him and all true Americans.

I think more than a few of his sycophants would be disappointed. They'll think he would have "owned the libtard".

Maybe they can schedule the debate, and if the Orange Coward doesn't show, they can debate an empty chair?

Or maybe clips of Trump. "Mexico will pay for it" and "i will not be playing golf" on the screen...

I think more than a few of his sycophants would be disappointed. They'll think he would have "owned the libtard".

They might be disappointed, but they will be delighted to seize upon the profound compassion and grace of their dear leader for sparing the libtard the embarrassment of being torn to shreds by his unmatched wisdom and best words.

... clips of Trump. "Mexico will pay for it" and "i will not be playing golf" on the screen...

That would be excellent. Stephen Colbert has some experience with that sort of thing, and I bet he would pitch in to help make it a night of unrivaled ratings.

I think not.

If there's one facet of humanity still functioning in the semi-sentient blob of protoplasm called Donald Trump, it's the instinct for self-preservation.
The next Dem nominee is not going to get shocked into submission by him gooning over their shoulder in a debate, is not going to be shouted into silence by his screams of "NO PUPPET NO PUPPET, YOU'RE THE PUPPET!" and isn't going to hesitate to produce facts and sources to forcibly call him a liar in real time. This time Trump has a voluminous track record of corruption, broken empty promises and outright fuckups to throw in his face, and I'm pretty sure that even in the depth of his delusion, his survival instinct will warn him of the danger of facing even the weakest possible Dem candidate in a one-on-one environment with no Hannity, Limbaugh or McTurtle to protect him.

I expect he will publicly deem debates to be beneath him, because "everybody knows that ____________ is a lying commie and debates are rigged blah blah blah" and therefore decline to participate, setting a new shining example for incumbent presidents, to the cheers of his 22% base.

What do y'all think?

I think if you are so sure you should place money on there not being these debates.

I think not.

What do y'all think?

I think if you are so sure you should place money on there not being these debates.

Are you willing to bet I should place money on no debates? :)

As I said in the OP, I think not. Given sufficient odds I would throw a little at it.

Trump loves the camera. These debates will get the highest ratings yet.

Well yeah, if they let Steve Colbert choose the clips in response to each question.

If they happen.

True. The Dem nominee may chicken out.

Witty comeback.

Personally I think the Dem nominee will be looking forward to the exchange more so than at anytime in the past. Trumpo changed the rules by lowering the bar of civility. I always saw the debates as phony performances and Trumpo brought reality back into the events. Kudos to Trumpo for that.

Witty comeback.

Personally I think the Dem nominee will be looking forward to the exchange more so than at anytime in the past. Trumpo changed the rules by lowering the bar of civility. I always saw the debates as phony performances and Trumpo brought reality back into the events. Kudos to Trumpo for that.

He did make them more entertaing, yes. No one will beat the master troll.

If they happen.

What kind of odds would you take to bet on THAT happening? :D

Right. I think it would be delicious if, having made his bed, Trump had to sleep in it.

Witty comeback.

He did make them more entertaing, yes. No one will beat the master troll.
But he's not a master.
He has no bench. He picks ONE name for an opponent, attempting to belittle and bully, and 2nd-grade name-calls. He is not really prepared for anyone with actual wit to come back at him.
Most of his opponents so far have tried really hard to remain calm and 'presidential' as they understood the term in the face of his little tantrums.
That's not going to happen next time. They will have had four years to strategize for a resonse,where it's taking the high road against him, or dropping into the mud with him. And they have his quotes. Just about everything he says, he's also said the opposite at some time, especially in the last 11 years.

He is not really prepared for anyone with actual wit to come back at him.

And there is SO much material from which a Trump opponent can weave sarcastic, mocking truthiness. Even at his "best", Cheato has to confabulate. His opponent can tell a true, detailed and damning story about him on pretty much any subject that comes up, based on his actual performance record. And they can do that in the most facetious, rude way without fear of reprisal for their tone. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go against a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest - no Democrat nominee would ever pass it up.

And there is SO much material from which a Trump opponent can weave sarcastic, mocking truthiness. Even at his "best", Cheato has to confabulate. His opponent can tell a true, detailed and damning story about him on pretty much any subject that comes up, based on his actual performance record. And they can do that in the most facetious, rude way without fear of reprisal for their tone. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go against a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest - no Democrat nominee would ever pass it up.

These debates are rehearsed like football matches. I'm wondering who the Dem nominee will hire to be the Orange Goblin. That'll be an interesting pick.

Facts aren't so much the important part in a debate with Trumpo, rather it's the delivery. Remember, you're after Trumpo's minions, not Trumpo. You don't want to insult his minions, as weird as that may sound.

These debates are rehearsed like football matches. I'm wondering who the Dem nominee will hire to be the Orange Goblin. That'll be an interesting pick.

They should get Alec Baldwin and televise the rehearsals - they'd get better ratings than the debate.

They should get Alec Baldwin and televise the rehearsals - they'd get better ratings than the debate.

They need to find someone who is at the same mental level, seventh grader maybe? I live near a school so the kids are always around. They sound just like Trumpo for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom