• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump is not just a bad choice . . . It’s existential

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
I know a lot of people, even many conservatives who despise trump, who constantly Pooh-Pooh the idea of Trump taking dictatorial powers. But I find such notions fundamentally naive and flawed. This is an interesting article from eight months ago and it has so far proven prescient. Trump has gone through the fires of several criminal indictments and come through unscathed. They haven’t hurt his chances in the slightest and he appears poised to win the presidency again.

The failure of our justice system to hold him accountable will embolden him significantly. He will not be checked by the courts. He will not be checked by the rule of law. Congress can be bypassed. He will likely be able to staff his bureaucracy with loyalists who will follow his crazy orders. He will immunize anyone who is indicted - mass pardons for those loyalists who take the law into their hands and get rid of the “communists.”

We are fucked.

Yep. If there are future chroniclers of the republic, what an amazing, incomprehensible story. If this man again waddles into the O.O., we will have a convicted felon in charge of the DOJ, a draft dodger and defamer of service men in charge of defense, an adjudicated sexual abuser and racist in charge of ensuring basic citizens' rights, a serial bankrupt, tax cheat, and business fraudster setting economic policy, a man who is loathed by our NATO allies and patronized by world dictators, setting foreign policy, a man who attempted to overturn our election system, now in the top executive office. Let us never forget the 187 minutes he spent watching the Capitol riot on his TV, pausing only to tweet to the rioters that their target should be Mike Pence. And he will be poised to do all the things he didn't get around to, in term one.
I'd like to say we're walking into this with our eyes wide open, but we're not. Anyone would vote Republican this year has bought into lies than any simpleton should see through. And yes, we're apparently fucked.

The question is how do we resist?

Mass protests are important. And they can stop or at least slow down the threat long enough. Democratic control of Congress is another. They have the power of the purse at least. A very powerful weapon. If the Dems have the gall to really use it. But I think they’re a bunch of weanies when it comes to this. But if they really gave the Republicans what they say they want, like a balanced budget, severe cuts in welfare, including social security, the economy will collapse. That would hurt the Republicans in down races in 2026. But it would be at a huge cost. I fear they don’t have the balls to do this. But it may be necessary.

But what might trump do in response? That’s a concern. Will he manipulate the elections by basically stopping them in 2026? Only trump approved candidates.

:ROFLMAO: Such drama.

You guys better start clearing your browser history now before Trump comes for y’all.
I have no intention of it. I have every intention of protesting openly and often.
You reminded me of some of the lyrics from one of my. favorite old school soul songs from the Isley Brothers, the original version of " Fight the Power" Some of those who are in power will need to join in or we may very well be fucked, but yeah....fight the power....Let's just hope the Dems who are still in power and decent Republicans like Liz Cheney have the courage to fight the power too! It's gonna take more than just protesting, imo.

Time is truly wastin’, there’s no guarantee, yeah
Smile is in the makin’, we got to fight the powers that be
Fight it baby, yeah, woo, hey
Even you and I can fight the power, come on

[Chorus]
Fight it, fight the power, ha!
Fight it, fight the, baby, baby, baby, baby
Fight it (Come on), fight the power
Fight it (Fight it), fight the power (Come on)
Fight it (Fight it), fight the power
Stand up and fight it, fight the power (Come on)

Fight it (Stand up, stand up), fight the power (Fight, fight, fight)
Fight it (Fight it), fight the power (Come on, come on)
Fight it (I believe, I believe we can), fight the power (Fight the power)
Fight it (Fight), fight the, baby, baby, baby, baby, yeah

Fight it, fight the power (Fight the power)
Fight it, fight the power (Fight the power)
(Even you and I can) Fight it, fight the power (Fight the power)

Will he manipulate the elections by basically stopping them in 2026?
Of course he will/would. He has as much as said so already. Soon you will hear from him that Biden wants to be president for life.
When he does, kniw that it’s another confession / projection.

You guys better start clearing your browser history now before Trump comes for y’all.
I used to wonder how people could elect dictators.

Unfortunately, it's become all too obvious this year.

I'm not worried he's going to come for me directly as I have never been a political activist, nor am I on any of his lists to be removed from society. However, I might end up roadkill in some of his other crusades, though.

Which dictators have been elected this year? Do you have a handy list? Here is one
If you could tick off the dictators elected this year it would help us all. And Starmer in the UK does not count.

Which dictators have been elected this year? Do you have a handy list? Here is one
If you could tick off the dictators elected this year it would help us all. And Starmer in the UK does not count.
If you had actually been paying attention, you would know Trump actually loves dictators. He declared he and Kim Jong Un "fell in love." He said Putin's invasion of Ukraine was "smart." He just hosted Hungary dictator Orban to a fabulous time in his country club. He obviously wants to join the dictator club and the Supreme Court just granted him that right.

If you had actually been paying attention, you would know Trump actually loves dictators. He declared he and Kim Jong Un "fell in love." He said Putin's invasion of Ukraine was "smart." He just hosted Hungary dictator Orban to a fabulous time in his country club.
I was replying to LP about dictators being elected, presumably he meant this year. I know Trump seems to like them but that is not what LP wrote about.
He obviously wants to join the dictator club and the Supreme Court just granted him that right.
Any future (and the current) president of the USA 'benefits' from that recent decision. It is not a Trump-specific decision IIRC.

If you had actually been paying attention, you would know Trump actually loves dictators. He declared he and Kim Jong Un "fell in love." He said Putin's invasion of Ukraine was "smart." He just hosted Hungary dictator Orban to a fabulous time in his country club.
I was replying to LP about dictators being elected, presumably he meant this year. I know Trump seems to like them but that is not what LP wrote about.
He obviously wants to join the dictator club and the Supreme Court just granted him that right.
Any future (and the current) president of the USA 'benefits' from that recent decision. It is not a Trump-specific decision IIRC.
He didn't say anything about dictators already being elected.

He didn't say anything about dictators already being elected.
From post 11 LP words
"I used to wonder how people could elect dictators.

Unfortunately, it's become all too obvious this year."

Unless LP meant to write something else his words were quite clear
Premise: LP wondering how people could elect dictators
Conclusion: It has happened this year (2024)

Just wondering if Loren could tell us which dictators were elected this year (2024).
I would not be surprised if it may have happened but clarity would be nice.

Sure; And leaving my front door unlocked benefits both my family and anyone who wants to come in and trash the place.

But if I am worried about the place getting trashed because I left the door unlocked, it's not my family who are worrying me, even though leaving the place open wasn't a vandal-specific decision.

LP was obviously referring to November 2024, which is this year.
The immunity decision is Trump specific (they were even doing it in response to a Trump request), for the simple reason that any decent and principled President wouldn't use those powers. President Biden in his speech after the court decision said he would not use his immunity. It is only theoretical for other presidents, and actual for Trump, as the Supreme Court knew when it made the decision, and as most other people are also aware.

Sure; And leaving my front door unlocked benefits both my family and anyone who wants to come in and trash the place.

But if I am worried about the place getting trashed because I left the door unlocked, it's not my family who are worrying me, even though leaving the place open wasn't a vandal-specific decision.
So I guess that you, like many others here, think that Trump engineering that decision? Have any evidence apart from some apocalyptic sense of foreboding?
It does seem to be a vague decision that does not help clarify the actual presidential powers and responsibilities. But that is different to claiming/thinking Trump engineered or arranged it.

As for your house you are most free to allow whomever you wish to enter or not at any time and for whatever reason.
(I assume my invitation to this weekend's barbie has been revoked?)

Back
Top Bottom