• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Issues New Travel Ban

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God
Well, Trump's strong and assertive "See you in court" in response to his previous travel ban getting overturned has turned out to be less strong and assertive than he implied it would be, since he's not looking to have the ruling vacated now, but just made a whole new ban instead.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-travel-ban-revised-1.4011197

It looks like Iraq is off the list now, which is surprising because I believe that leaves us open to more attacks by the Bowling Green people, but the rest are still in there.

Most surprisingly, the ban is still for 90 days. Given that those 90 days were there in order to do a security review for the people from those countries, shouldn't it be a 60 day or so ban now? Not having the order in place didn't affect their starting this security review, so they should be about a third of the way through it now.

Iraq is off the list, and Green Carders are as well. So does this give him enough cover the courts won't intervene again?

Well, Trump's strong and assertive "See you in court" in response to his previous travel ban getting overturned has turned out to be less strong and assertive than he implied it would be, since he's not looking to have the ruling vacated now, but just made a whole new ban instead.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-travel-ban-revised-1.4011197

It looks like Iraq is off the list now, which is surprising because I believe that leaves us open to more attacks by the Bowling Green people, but the rest are still in there.

Most surprisingly, the ban is still for 90 days. Given that those 90 days were there in order to do a security review for the people from those countries, shouldn't it be a 60 day or so ban now? Not having the order in place didn't affect their starting this security review, so they should be about a third of the way through it now.

That's under the assumption that they were seriously undertaking a security review, right?

That's under the assumption that they were seriously undertaking a security review, right?

Well, everybody knows that they're not doing a security review. What they are doing is pretending that they're doing a security review. They could at least be consistent with their lie - that's just manners.

link said:
the new order will not go into effect until March 16

Thank GOD! Starting on 3/17, the awful killings and carnage that have befallen us since the courts told Cheato to STFU, will STOP!
Remember Bowling Green!

link said:

Thank GOD! Starting on 3/17, the awful killings and carnage that have befallen us since the courts told Cheato to STFU, will STOP!
Remember Bowling Green!

Fucking hell, I missed that bit.

Why the hell is he telling the terrorists his plans in advance? I thought that was a stupid thing to do. Now they all know to get into the country and blow things up right away, before this absolutely superb plan to destroy them (seriously, it's just great) goes into effect.

Iraq is off the list, and Green Carders are as well. So does this give him enough cover the courts won't intervene again?

No, but a third change you didn't list here is that there is no religious test in this order. The previous one gave preferential treatment to Christians attempting to enter the country. That has been removed, avoiding the constitutional issue relating to the First Amendment.

No, but a third change you didn't list here is that there is no religious test in this order. The previous one gave preferential treatment to Christians attempting to enter the country. That has been removed, avoiding the constitutional issue relating to the First Amendment.
Ah, that'll help their case. Though, the preferential treatment was supposed to take place after the ban expired and wasn't in place immediately.

Curious, it appears that nations where people have come from that did attack our nation are still not on the list. I wonder the reason for that oversight. *shifty eyes*

Wasn't at least part of the problem that they couldn't explain any actual need for the ban?
Have they justified a need this time?

Wasn't at least part of the problem that they couldn't explain any actual need for the ban?
Have they justified a need this time?

Duh. It's right there in the name. They're doing it to prevent foreign terrorists from entering the US.

IIRC, the lack of justification thing was in reference to the fact that they needed a reason for the courts to ignore all of the other constitutional violations in the last not-a-ban. The President would have been able to ignore all of those violations if there had been a legitimate national security reason for him to ignore them. Without those violations, the court doesn't have any standing to require a justification from the President's exercising his powers.

Then again, that was like eight major scandals ago, so it's tough to remember all the details.

No, the original ban was found to be religiously motivated and unconstitutional. It was thrown out right on the surface.
This ban may lack the obvious unconstitutional favoring of a religion, but that does not mean that it will pass all other scrutiny (like if evidence that such a ban is needed, is, well, needed)

- - - Updated - - -

Then again, that was like eight major scandals ago, so it's tough to remember all the details.

so you're saying their strategy is working on you, then?

I'm not an American, so Trump's actions only affect me on a theoretical and entertainment level, so there's no value in my bothering to pay that much attention.

It's if it's working on you that there's a problem.

I'm not an American, so Trump's actions only affect me on a theoretical and entertainment level, so there's no value in my bothering to pay that much attention.

It's if it's working on you that there's a problem.

If what is working on me? I can't remember.

Well, everybody knows that they're not doing a security review. What they are doing is pretending that they're doing a security review. They could at least be consistent with their lie - that's just manners.

Trump's audience (and don't pretend that what he's doing isn't a performance) doesn't care about details like that.

Trump's audience (and don't pretend that what he's doing isn't a performance) doesn't care about details like that.

Until his approval rating dips below 40%, I'll argue that they don't care what he does short of all-out nuclear war. And it's definitely a performance; he's a game show host, not a President.

link said:

Remember Bowling Green!

St Patrick's Day. Are the Irish included on the list of banned nationalities? Or are they exempt due to their having never engaged in religious sectarian terrorism?

Perhaps the unionists are allowed in; after all, there was no fictional massacre at Bowling Orange.

Remember Bowling Green!

St Patrick's Day. Are the Irish included on the list of banned nationalities? Or are they exempt due to their having never engaged in religious sectarian terrorism?

You mean those ERA bombings? :D

Wash. AG declares victory after Trump signs new travel order | KREM.com

"The President has capitulated on numerous key provisions that we contested in court about a month ago. So, on those key provisions, this is a very significant victory for the people of the State of Washington," said Ferguson in a Monday press conference.

A federal judge in Seattle issued a nationwide hold on the order. His ruling was upheld by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Ferguson pointed out that after the 9th Circuit's ruling, the President vowed on Twitter to fight the decision in court.

"It bears pointing out that the administration, since that tweet, has done everything in its power to avoid seeing anyone in court when it comes to the original executive order," said Ferguson, saying the order was illegal and unconstitutional. "The President was essentially afraid to see us in court because he knew he would lose again."

Somebody's very tiny twitter fingers must be twitching.

Back
Top Bottom