• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Issues New Travel Ban

link said:
the new order will not go into effect until March 16

Thank GOD! Starting on 3/17, the awful killings and carnage that have befallen us since the courts told Cheato to STFU, will STOP!
Remember Bowling Green!

Oh fuck, that's over a week away.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump If the ban were announced with a one week notice, the "bad" would rush into our country during that week. A lot of bad "dudes" out there!
5:31 AM - 30 Jan 2017

Thank GOD! Starting on 3/17, the awful killings and carnage that have befallen us since the courts told Cheato to STFU, will STOP!
Remember Bowling Green!

Oh fuck, that's over a week away.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump If the ban were announced with a one week notice, the "bad" would rush into our country during that week. A lot of bad "dudes" out there!
5:31 AM - 30 Jan 2017

I don't think I'm resorting to hyperbole when I say "We are all going to die!"

The government should kick out Rasmea Yousef Odeh who was convicted of a terrorist attack who was jailed in Israel for 10 years. She was convicted on immigration Fraud in November 2014, for not declaring this conviction. She was released on a bond pending sentencing on 13 February 2015. She's one of the organisers of the Women's march.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmea_Odeh
Odeh was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison on March 12, 2015, stripped of her US citizenship, and will be deported from the United States to Jordan once she is done serving her time.[15][16][17][17][18] She is free on bail while she appeals.[15] Her conviction was vacated by the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals and sent back to the District Court in February 2016.

The government should kick out Rasmea Yousef Odeh who was convicted of a terrorist attack who was jailed in Israel for 10 years. She was convicted on immigration Fraud in November 2014, for not declaring this conviction. She was released on a bond pending sentencing on 13 February 2015. She's one of the organisers of the Women's march.

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things is not the same...

Okay, real talk for a second here. If the pre-inauguration comments about banning Muslims, the stuff Giuliani said, and the fact that a Muslim ban is verbatim literally still on his fucking website were all fair game for the court case before, how is anything different now? Can't they still point to that stuff, as well as the DHS report that the travel ban isn't needed, and say this is no better than the first EO? It doesn't have a religious exemption in the text anymore, but it still bans people based on their nationality, which was made explicitly illegal in 1965. The only recourse Trump has is to fall back on executive privilege, and that just gets him back to having to explain why we need this EO when the experts disagree and he's on record saying he wants to ban Muslim immigration.

It's almost as if this is all political theatre intended to distract the media from some other looming issue that has recently been in the public eye.

Okay, real talk for a second here. If the pre-inauguration comments about banning Muslims, the stuff Giuliani said, and the fact that a Muslim ban is verbatim literally still on his fucking website were all fair game for the court case before, how is anything different now? Can't they still point to that stuff, as well as the DHS report that the travel ban isn't needed, and say this is no better than the first EO? It doesn't have a religious exemption in the text anymore, but it still bans people based on their nationality, which was made explicitly illegal in 1965. The only recourse Trump has is to fall back on executive privilege, and that just gets him back to having to explain why we need this EO when the experts disagree and he's on record saying he wants to ban Muslim immigration.

It's almost as if this is all political theatre intended to distract the media from some other looming issue that has recently been in the public eye.

no, he actually wants to get something done that he promised his base.. something racist.. something very white.
The distraction du jour (from RussiaGate) was his tweet on Saturday morning (at 6:30 AM... ??) that Obama committed treason by illegally wiretapping him.

no, he actually wants to get something done that he promised his base.. something racist.. something very white.
The distraction du jour (from RussiaGate) was his tweet on Saturday morning (at 6:30 AM... ??) that Obama committed treason by illegally wiretapping him.
Yeah, I think if it was theatre, he'd have banned MORE countries, so it looks like he's trying to accomplish something and all those naysayers are the ones stopping him.

WHen he takes words out, removes details, he's still trying to get something past scrutiny.

I'd like to see a libel suit.

I'd like to see Obama come out and say "Either we had a President of the United States illegally wiretapping a political opponent or we had a President of the United States lying to the American people by accusing another President of criminally abusing his power. Both are very serious matters and we need to find out which one happened. Given that the results of the investigation will implicate the leader of one of the major political parties in our country (and we don't know which one yet), the only way to ensure the facts come out is to have the whole matter of Russian influence on our elections and the reactions of the current and former administrations to this handled by an independent Special Prosecutor".

never will happen. Obama is too classy a guy to get sucked into that game.

I'd like to see it too.. but we'll sooner see that from Arnold Schwarzenegger than from Obama.

Iraq is off the list, and Green Carders are as well. So does this give him enough cover the courts won't intervene again?

This time he's saying no visas, not trying to ban those that have visas. It was the latter that was the real problem before.

that was a very significant problem with the original order, but the illegality of that original order was more along the lines of state sponsored religion.

I'd like to see Obama come out and say "Either we had a President of the United States illegally wiretapping a political opponent or we had a President of the United States lying to the American people by accusing another President of criminally abusing his power. Both are very serious matters and we need to find out which one happened. Given that the results of the investigation will implicate the leader of one of the major political parties in our country (and we don't know which one yet), the only way to ensure the facts come out is to have the whole matter of Russian influence on our elections and the reactions of the current and former administrations to this handled by an independent Special Prosecutor".

I see it more like this: "Either we have a President of the United States advancing unfounded conspiracy theories, which he has a long and rich history of doing, or we have a President of the United States leaking classified intelligence activity to the public via Twitter. Both are very serious matters and I think we already know which one happened."

never will happen. Obama is too classy a guy to get sucked into that game.

I'd like to see it too.. but we'll sooner see that from Arnold Schwarzenegger than from Obama.

Agree... I don't always get what I like... and neither do you, it seems.

that was a very significant problem with the original order, but the illegality of that original order was more along the lines of state sponsored religion.
Potential illegality. The courts never ruled the order was illegal, rather it stopped the order until a ruling could be made after hearings, which we never had because after the appeals court knocked overruling the lower courts down, Trump replied with a Tweet, "Okay, we'll make with due diligence and write-up / review a better order'. Or something to that affect.

Potential illegality. The courts never ruled the order was illegal, rather it stopped the order until a ruling could be made after hearings, which we never had because after the appeals court knocked overruling the lower courts down, Trump replied with a Tweet, "Okay, we'll make with due diligence and write-up / review a better order'. Or something to that affect.

Interesting... is that kind of like if he broke the law and then surrendered to the cops, rather than wait for a warrant for his arrest, so that later he could claim that there never was a warrant for his arrest? something like that?

Next year, after the new plan reveals itself to be damaging to many people, he will say that his original plan was perfect, and was never ruled illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

that's a Fake News site... not clicking it.

The US or any other sovereign state has a right to ban who it wants and invite who it wants. My understanding is that those already with visas and green cards may come.

You might get detained for days without reason (a la Afghan family at LAX last week), but you can still come.

Back
Top Bottom