• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump says something that isn't insane!!!

Ya, because the GOP base is going to suddenly start caring about the content of what he's saying. Also, he'll have three completely different and contradictory positions on the subject by tomorrow, so it's not like they'll have time to get worked up.

He's still going to appoint a Justice that opposes the right to abortion. He says Scalia is his model despite his praise for Peter Thiel, somebody with no judicial experience, who says he isn't interested in the job.

Donald Trump actually said something that isn't totally bat-shit insane! Of course, that will destroy him with his republican base:
CBSNews.com said:
Donald Trump: Birth control "should not be done by prescription"
Get out the popcorn.

What Tom said. Trump's base is made up of right wing authoritarian followers. They do not care about anything but a "strong leader" who they believe can realize their hate, fear, control, and vengeance fantasies. Every value they give lip service to is just that - lip service.

I meant to say "the Republican base," not "his Republican base." Sorry. His base is angry, uneducated white guys, which overlaps the current Republican base but is definitely different, as being shown by more and more of the traditional Republican establishment publicly denouncing him. The thing is, he cannot hope to win without the full Republican base. This is going to hurt what chances he has to win, which is rather ironic because it is one of the few rational things that he has said in the entire campaign.

I expect more denouncements after this. Thus the call for popcorn.

If any Republican does denounce Trump over this, people be like, "That's what turned you against Trump??"

The man wants to deploy nukes against ISIS, but God forbid people buy abortion-prevention pills over-the-counter.

If any Republican does denounce Trump over this, people be like, "That's what turned you against Trump??"

The man wants to deploy nukes against ISIS, but God forbid people buy abortion-prevention pills over-the-counter.

Deploying nukes against Muslims is compatible with their versions of Christianity. Allowing women to make their own choices is not. Of course they find the latter far worse.

Donald Trump actually said something that isn't totally bat-shit insane! Of course, that will destroy him with his republican base:
CBSNews.com said:
Get out the popcorn.

To some extent he's right.

There have been multiple efforts to create a new category for the pill--something that the pharmacist can prescribe. This would only apply to the low-risk patients but that's most of them.

On the other hand, the only long-acting contraception that could possibly done without a doctor is depo-provera. IUD, implants and sterilization all require medical training.

CBSNews.com said:
Get out the popcorn.

No they won't. The Republicans will love it.

The reason he says that is because ACA mandates that birth control be covered by insurance. If it is no longer by prescription, it will no longer be covered by insurance. Moreover, how does the dumb shit Donald expect women to insert an over-the-counter IUD by themselves?

There are non-prescription birth control methods - condoms & foams for instance. Pills, patches, IUDs, etc are by prescription for a reason. Trumpet's call to make those non-prescription just shows his complete lack of regard for the health, safety and financial well-being of women; and a complete lack of knowledge on the topic he is flapping his lips about.

Get out the popcorn.

The reason he says that is because ACA mandates that birth control be covered by insurance. If it is no longer by prescription, it will no longer be covered by insurance. Moreover, how does the dumb shit Donald expect women to insert an over-the-counter IUD by themselves?

There are non-prescription birth control methods - condoms & foams for instance. Pills, patches, IUDs, etc are by prescription for a reason. Trumpet's call to make those non-prescription just shows his complete lack of regard for the health, safety and financial well-being of women; and a complete lack of knowledge on the topic he is flapping his lips about.
Thank you! I was just coming to say exactly this. The ingredients used in prescription BC pills vary and need to be prescribed based on the individual woman.

Get out the popcorn.

The reason he says that is because ACA mandates that birth control be covered by insurance. If it is no longer by prescription, it will no longer be covered by insurance.
Interesting dog whistle interpretation.

Thank you! I was just coming to say exactly this. The ingredients used in prescription BC pills vary and need to be prescribed based on the individual woman.

Actually, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (and many other health care organizations), the people who are qualified to decide, have stated on record numerous times that there is no legitimate reason for birth control bills to require a prescription. The only reason it is prescription is politics. Look at the (male Christian) republicans' attempts to prevent Plan B from going over the counter. It is the same with traditional birth control pills. Like a broken clock, Trump happened to be correct at this one instant.

Freedom from government control only applies to white Christian males. It is mandatory for anyone else.

Like a broken clock, Trump happened to be correct at this one instant.

Freedom from government control only applies to white Christian males. It is mandatory for anyone else.

No, he isn't correct, not even accidently. He doesn't give a shit about women's health or women's freedom.

From the article you posted, here is the actual question he was asked:

“should be mandated in this country that we reimburse women for their birth control”

His answer was "no"

He added a bunch of bullshit slight-of-hand about "it should not be a prescription, it should not be done by prescription”, but that is so ACA doesn't pay for it, and not any sort of commentary on the safety of OTC birth control.

Actually, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (and many other health care organizations), the people who are qualified to decide, have stated on record numerous times that there is no legitimate reason for birth control bills to require a prescription. The only reason it is prescription is politics. Look at the (male Christian) republicans' attempts to prevent Plan B from going over the counter. It is the same with traditional birth control pills. Like a broken clock, Trump happened to be correct at this one instant.

That's good to know and when I think about it you are right. I always thought the smoking/blood clot risk was the reason, but OTC things out there now are MUCH more risky/dangerous.

That said, I think RavenSky is right. He may have said the 'right' thing but for the 'wrong' reason. BCP should only be OTC if there is some mechanism to reduce price gouging somehow.

Out of curiosity, why ISN'T it OTC?

That said, I think RavenSky is right. He may have said the 'right' thing but for the 'wrong' reason. BCP should only be OTC if there is some mechanism to reduce price gouging somehow.

Yes, the broken clock analogy. I don't know what his motivation for saying it is. He is too inconsistent to attribute it to either pandering or mood swings.

Out of curiosity, why ISN'T it OTC?

The Christian right doesn't want birth control to be available to women. That is why they don't want insurance companies to cover it in the first place. I don't believe for an instant that they would happy that it went OTC. It would remove their last bit of control over someone else's decisions.

you shouldn’t expect ACOG or other women’s health groups to start cheering. ACOG, Planned Parenthood, and other advocacy groups have opposed previous Republican efforts to move birth control over the counter.

They argue that proposals like Trump’s could make the Pill more expensive, because insurance plans typically don’t cover non-prescription drugs like Tylenol or Motrin. That means if birth control moved over the counter, women might have to start paying more out of pocket for their contraceptives.

ACOG president Mark DeFrancesco has said proposals like the one Trump outlined “make more women have to pay for their birth control, and for some women, the cost would be prohibitive.”

Just like health insurance plans don’t cover the Tylenol you buy in the pharmacy, they might stop covering birth control pills too. So it’s quite possible that moving birth control over the counter, without a requirement that insurance plans still cover the medication, would actually drive prices up.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/15/12930976/trump-birth-control

In short, this is just a new Republican move to continue to control women's reproductive health by making most types of contraceptive more expensive.

As the article also notes, let's see what Trump says when he is asked if he supports California's model:

It is possible to have over-the-counter birth control and have insurance coverage. A new California law, for example, allows pharmacists to dispense birth control pills without a prescription — and requires insurance companies to foot the bill.

THAT I would support (but I can guarantee you that no Republican or Trump will)

I'd say it actually is batshit insane for him to say that considering how batshit insane he is. He's too deep in the rabbit hole now and simply can't win on the rare chance he says something reasonable.

Just like health insurance plans don’t cover the Tylenol you buy in the pharmacy, they might stop covering birth control pills too. So it’s quite possible that moving birth control over the counter, without a requirement that insurance plans still cover the medication, would actually drive prices up.

In short, this is just a new Republican move to continue to control women's reproductive health by making most types of contraceptive more expensive.

As the article also notes, let's see what Trump says when he is asked if he supports California's model:

It is possible to have over-the-counter birth control and have insurance coverage. A new California law, for example, allows pharmacists to dispense birth control pills without a prescription — and requires insurance companies to foot the bill.

link

In light of the linked article, RavenSky is likely right that this is a dog whistle deal, much like W's Dred Scot comment in the debates.
link said:
With less than two months until Election Day, Donald Trump is ramping up his outreach to a reliable Republican constituency: anti-abortion advocates.

Trump plans to name a Pro-Life Coalition on Friday, RealClearPolitics has learned, with Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser as its national chairwoman. The GOP nominee will also adopt a new pledge to protect the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits Medicaid funding for most abortions — a law Democrat Hillary Clinton opposes.

link

In light of the linked article, RavenSky is likely right that this is a dog whistle deal, much like W's Dred Scot comment in the debates.
link said:
With less than two months until Election Day, Donald Trump is ramping up his outreach to a reliable Republican constituency: anti-abortion advocates.

Trump plans to name a Pro-Life Coalition on Friday, RealClearPolitics has learned, with Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser as its national chairwoman. The GOP nominee will also adopt a new pledge to protect the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits Medicaid funding for most abortions — a law Democrat Hillary Clinton opposes.

OK, I wasn't familiar with this particular spin on things. Make it "more accessible" but too cost restrictive. Mind-boggling. According to this article, the move is a part of trying to "re-brand" the republican party against being hostile to women (while of course remaining hostile to women). I guess they recognized that they got so much negative PR with Plan B and similar issues that they are trying a new tactic. Pathetic.

I still have trouble believing that Trump would be politically aware enough of this (or anything, for that matter) to affect his stated stand on the issue, though. I'd be just inclined to believe that he heard Ivanka say it once so he just repeated it because, well, he wants to date her. (And I'm not entirely kidding, either.)

I still have trouble believing that Trump would be politically aware enough of this (or anything, for that matter) to affect his stated stand on the issue, though. I'd be just inclined to believe that he heard Ivanka say it once so he just repeated it because, well, he wants to date her. (And I'm not entirely kidding, either.)
He isn't politically aware, but he is apparently listening to his Campaign Manager for a change.

Back
Top Bottom