• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Supporters Split on COVID-19

The difference is the war mindset. It was like terrorists kept on blowing stuff up and his ratings continued going up.

Trump has done almost nothing but impede this crisis response. Oh and praise how wonderful he has done. And the death toll and exposure continues to rocket it up. Could approach 30,000 Monday.

We all know about his early clowning wrt coronavirus. But now he's taking it seriously, acting presidential, at least for him.

Too bad it's just an act. He's still done nothing about getting respirator and N95 mask production ramped up.

The difference is the war mindset. It was like terrorists kept on blowing stuff up and his ratings continued going up.

Trump has done almost nothing but impede this crisis response. Oh and praise how wonderful he has done. And the death toll and exposure continues to rocket it up. Could approach 30,000 Monday.

We all know about his early clowning wrt coronavirus. But now he's taking it seriously, acting presidential, at least for him.

Too bad it's just an act. He's still done nothing about getting respirator and N95 mask production ramped up.

Granted. But to many people, he's effective, hence the boost.

Trump is doing GREAT! The USA is rocketing up the charts.
We just passed Germany and are now in fourth place. And it looks like we'll have Spain in the bag by tomorrow, putting us in third!
This, despite giving them all a big head start. Soon we will be NUMBER ONE!!!
USA! USA! USA! Magamagamagamaga!

Last edited:

How so? He hasn’t issued national guidance. He hasn’t procurred forget about distributed materials and equipment. He tossed out the “Chinese virus” as a red herring to distract people from the fact that he has hesitated to use the powers he has said he’d use to initiate mass manufacturing. The US is desperately lagging in testing materials which will deflate actual infection reports.

All the while, he made his typical BS claims about drug testing and claiming to have freed up “out dated” regulations in order to get medicines out for treatment of the virus.

He hasn’t done crap.

How so? He hasn’t issued national guidance. He hasn’t procurred forget about distributed materials and equipment. He tossed out the “Chinese virus” as a red herring to distract people from the fact that he has hesitated to use the powers he has said he’d use to initiate mass manufacturing. The US is desperately lagging in testing materials which will deflate actual infection reports.

All the while, he made his typical BS claims about drug testing and claiming to have freed up “out dated” regulations in order to get medicines out for treatment of the virus.

He hasn’t done crap.

What? He declared a national emergency!

All I'm doing is pointing out why he got a bump.

He hasn’t done crap.

Declaring something isn’t much action. It is akin to declaring war and not sending troops anywhere.

He declared a national emergency!

That reminds me... what happened to the National Emergency he declared so he could steal money from the military for his Vanity Wall? I don't remember him declaring an end to that one yet. How many simultaneous National Emergencies is a President allowed to declare? Will this National Emergency and that National Emergency be over before the start of the new National Emergency needed to cancel the November elections?

He hasn’t done crap.

Declaring something isn’t much action. It is akin to declaring war and not sending troops anywhere.

Forget it. You're impervious. I'll compare my TDS to anybody's, but it's obvious Trumps attempts to project leadership has paid some dividends.

He declared a national emergency!

That reminds me... what happened to the National Emergency he declared so he could steal money from the military for his Vanity Wall? I don't remember him declaring an end to that one yet. How many simultaneous National Emergencies is a President allowed to declare? Will this National Emergency and that National Emergency be over before the start of the new National Emergency needed to cancel the November elections?

Actually there are quite a few if memory serves, plenty are still on going, from previous admins, I think.

This is the use of the adjective 'presidential', with which I am not familiar.

When Franklin Roosevelt was asked what he would say to Americans who were scared, his famous words were, "All we have to fear is fear itself."

Trump gets this question and the script has been written for him. He has a chance to play FDR and his answer is, "You are a terrible reporter." It was a slow pitch, right over the plate and Trump swung after he heard it hit the catcher's mitt. "Acting presidential" requires more than that.

When Franklin Roosevelt was asked what he would say to Americans who were scared, his famous words were, "All we have to fear is fear itself."

Trump gets this question and the script has been written for him. He has a chance to play FDR and his answer is, "You are a terrible reporter." It was a slow pitch, right over the plate and Trump swung after he heard it hit the catcher's mitt. "Acting presidential" requires more than that.

I'm not arguing that he's not inept; but that more of the electorate is satisfied with his performance than a week ago.

I'm not arguing that he's not inept; but that more of the electorate is satisfied with his performance than a week ago.

O tempora o mores.

What does that say of our chances as a nation? That shitty performance is given kudos. We’re fucked.

What does that say of our chances as a nation? That shitty performance is given kudos. We’re fucked.

I think it speaks more about people's fears.

But, like I said, I doubt it'll last. Because if the projections bear out, it's going to get much worse.

Don't forget that GW Bush's popularity skyrocketed after 9-11, even though he had ignored warnings about Bin Laden before then. This is Trump's 9-11 opportunity. He needs to improve his teleprompter-reading skills, but he isn't speaking to the most brilliant audience in the world. They tend to ignore the signs when he slurs his words, and they are going to be matching him up against someone who is even older than him. It's a challenge for Trump, but incumbents don't usually have to work that hard to impress voters.

But, like I said, I doubt it'll last. Because if the projections bear out, it's going to get much worse.

Why do we need thousands of Americans to die, again, before people realize the GOP is awful?

Why do we need thousands of Americans to die, again, before people realize the GOP is awful?

The GOP is a part of the problem, but all the mostly young idiots who were partying, and crowding beaches during spring break last week, are also a huge problem. Will they change now that so many younger people are becoming seriously ill or dying? And, it's not just the younger folks, there were some over 60 who were crowding the beaches in Florida last week or attending St. Patrick's day parties. To be fair, they weren't all Trump supporters.

I read about this guy who was 68 whining because the beaches were closing down. WTF is wrong with people?

The GOP is a part of the problem, but all the mostly young idiots who were partying, and crowding beaches during spring break last week, are also a huge problem. Will they change now that so many younger people are becoming seriously ill or dying? And, it's not just the younger folks, there were some over 60 who were crowding the beaches in Florida last week or attending St. Patrick's day parties. To be fair, they weren't all Trump supporters.

I read about this guy who was 68 whining because the beaches were closing down. WTF is wrong with people?

They aren’t being told what is happening. There is no explanation, no plan, no leadership. Most states haven’t shut down! Governors don’t want to make the call to ax their economy while the Trump Admin and GOP are dicking around. Shutting down will create a crisis without Federal intervention in these states.

Granted, people in NYC needed to be told not to run in large groups in Central Park. So now the parks have to be closed.

Reminds me of Winston Churchill's comment that America always does the right thing - after trying everything else.

They'll come around - after enough people die.

They aren’t being told what is happening. There is no explanation, no plan, no leadership. Most states haven’t shut down! Governors don’t want to make the call to ax their economy while the Trump Admin and GOP are dicking around. Shutting down will create a crisis without Federal intervention in these states.

Granted, people in NYC needed to be told not to run in large groups in Central Park. So now the parks have to be closed.

DeBlasio says the city will run out of ventilators this week.

Cuomo says NY is testing per capital more than Korea, but I find that hard to believe. Only those hospitalized are getting tested.

Back
Top Bottom