• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump supporters vs. Rep. Liz Cheney

There was once a thread in General World History where participants were asked to provide theoretical defenses of Hitler.

I don't think that this is a complete derail of the thread.

It's easy to create a defense of Hitler. You just focus on what he did well and ignore the bad parts. There are very good reasons for Hitler's popularity. Which wasn't limited to Germany by any means.

He pulled Germany out of an ugly economic depression by making Germany a great place to do business. He brought law and order back. He got rid of undesirables. He crushed Communism.

He literally "Made Germany Great Again".

So he made a few mistakes along the way. Nobody's perfect.
Tom

This defense of Hitler bullshit is another derail. It stops now. You see at the top of the thread. That's the subject of the thread. Stick to that.

This defense of Hitler bullshit is another derail. It stops now. You see at the top of the thread. That's the subject of the thread. Stick to that.

I posted what I did trying to explain why Liz Cheney is in so much political trouble. IMHO.
If you want to delete it go ahead.
Tom

Good to discover this.
Liz Cheney still isn't backing down to Trump in new interview - YouTube
Wyoming Republican Rep. Liz Cheney accused former President Donald Trump of having committed the worst violation of a president's oath of office by inciting the January 6 Capitol insurrection -- and taking a jab at House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy over his subsequent visit to Trump at Mar-a-Lago.

"I was stunned. I could not imagine any justification for doing that," Cheney said of McCarthy's visit to Trump during an episode of David Axelrod's "The Axe Files" podcast, which was taped Saturday afternoon as part of a University of Chicago alumni weekend event. "And I asked him why he had done it, and he said, well, he had just been in the neighborhood, essentially."
Full podcast: The Axe Files with David Axelrod - Podcast on CNN Audio
Rep. Liz Cheney

When Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney was a little girl, she and her sister would spend Saturday mornings watching cartoons in the West Wing while their father, former Vice President Dick Cheney, served as Chief of Staff to President Ford. Rep. Cheney ultimately became a politician herself, rising to House GOP conference chair. She was removed from her leadership position in May after denouncing former President Trump’s repeated claims that the 2020 election was stolen. She joined David to talk about when she realized her position in Republican leadership was untenable, why she believes President Trump is dangerous to the GOP and the country as a whole, and why she still supports Dr. Anthony Fauci.

I think that she's right about that. The Republican leadership ought to have supported impeachment of Trump. All they would have needed is enough Senators, both in the first time and in the second time. I don't understand why Mitch McConnell is so desperate to protect Trump. Might he want some more pliable Chief Executive?

Good to discover this.
Wyoming Republican Rep. Liz Cheney accused former President Donald Trump of having committed the worst violation of a president's oath of office by inciting the January 6 Capitol insurrection -- and taking a jab at House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy over his subsequent visit to Trump at Mar-a-Lago.

"I was stunned. I could not imagine any justification for doing that," Cheney said of McCarthy's visit to Trump during an episode of David Axelrod's "The Axe Files" podcast, which was taped Saturday afternoon as part of a University of Chicago alumni weekend event. "And I asked him why he had done it, and he said, well, he had just been in the neighborhood, essentially."

Is it really true that this was the worst violation of a President's oath of office? I understand there was incredible risk of going from a somewhat corrupt representative democracy to murdering congress and then becoming an authoritarian state, but the reality of what happened is a small number of people died and now we also have continued risk of something larger happening. It's rather difficult to do an apples to apples comparison across different Presidencies, like for example, F.D.R. who signed an executive order for the internment of 120,000 Japanese living in the US, the majority of them--citizens--meaning, he was not following his Constitutional duties; and then you have other Presidents who may have deliberately lied about Vietnam which resulted in some 50K deaths of US soldiers and orders of magnitude more Vietnamese deaths; and George W Bush who possibly deliberately lied about the need to go to war with Iraq which also resulted in deaths, far more than on January 6th. What are the objective criteria, other than deaths, to look at these things? Liz Cheney, perhaps, would actually not agree that the Iraq war was illegitimate given her father's history in involvement leading up to it and possibly might have a different perspective on Vietnam as well since her father had tight connections to Nixon, Ford, and Rumsfeld. But surely she'd be willing to partisanly attack a Democrat like FDR?

Good to discover this.

Full podcast: The Axe Files with David Axelrod - Podcast on CNN Audio
Rep. Liz Cheney

When Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney was a little girl, she and her sister would spend Saturday mornings watching cartoons in the West Wing while their father, former Vice President Dick Cheney, served as Chief of Staff to President Ford. Rep. Cheney ultimately became a politician herself, rising to House GOP conference chair. She was removed from her leadership position in May after denouncing former President Trump’s repeated claims that the 2020 election was stolen. She joined David to talk about when she realized her position in Republican leadership was untenable, why she believes President Trump is dangerous to the GOP and the country as a whole, and why she still supports Dr. Anthony Fauci.

I think that she's right about that. The Republican leadership ought to have supported impeachment of Trump. All they would have needed is enough Senators, both in the first time and in the second time. I don't understand why Mitch McConnell is so desperate to protect Trump. Might he want some more pliable Chief Executive?
The GOP is preparing material for its new book - Profiles in Cowardice.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been bumped. Tuesday, Wyoming's Republican voters will go to the polls and decide whether Liz Cheney should continue as Congresswoman.

As a card-carrying centrist, I am not overly fond of Ms. Cheney — she opposes women's rights, supports torture and war-mongering, implicitly endorsed the lies about Obama's birth-place, and supported the Trumpists in 90% of Congressional votes. But centrists have to take what we can get these days, and Cheney is about as good a Republican as we could hope for. (True, her father is Darth Vader, but Luke Skywalker is allegedly Vader's son and he wasn't so bad.)

Cheney is apparently way down in the polls — Cheney's stances against treason and sedition are anathema to today's GOP — but primaries are unpredictable and I guess some pundits think she might have a chance to win.

Whoever wins this primary will of course win in November: Wyoming is the most Republican of all states.
Western Nebraska, adjacent to Wyoming, gets its own Electoral Vote and is even redder than Wyoming. We should be grateful for Nebraska's peculiar 1992 decision to split its EVs. The Ds are competitive in Nebraska District 2 (Omaha) and have won its electoral vote twice: in 2008 and 2020

Or will they? If Cheney is defeated on Tuesday, I hope that the Democratic nominee waives his victory and moves to make Cheney the Democratic candidate. Even in Wyoming the Democrats have SOME power. Obama got over 82,000 Wyoming votes in 2008 and even Hillary got almost 56,000 votes in 2016. I'd guess that such a move by the D's would have a good chance of re-electing Ms. Cheney. If the D's can't manage to make this smart move, snubbing their noses at the hate-filled liars, I say A pox on them.

Will her father invite Donald T. Rump to go duck hunting with him? And would we see another Elmer Fudd moment?

Eldarion Lathria.

Ms. Cheney has conceded defeat in her re-election bid. I guess Alaska's results will take a few hours more.

The New York Times interviewed a 13-person "focus group." Here are their responses to the question "Give me a single word or phrase that you would use to describe Liz Cheney."

Tera, 46, Democrat, white, volleyball coach
"I'm afraid I'll be the black sheep, but I'd say brave."

Jessica, 43, Republican, white, child care provider
"Self-serving."

Adam, 23, Republican, white, self-employed
"Unattached."

Travis, 37, Republican, white, physical therapy
"I'm going with guts."

Troy, 35, Republican, white, dietitian
"I'm going to go with committed, dedicated."

Kristi, 53, independent, white, I.T. consultant
"I would echo that too, dedication. Asterisk."

Michelle, 40, Republican, white, administrative assistant
"Unrepresentative."

Paul, 53, Republican, white, retired
"I want to say experienced."

Jackie, 63, Republican, white, retired
"Lack of integrity."

James, 61, Republican, white, economic development
"Ambitious."

Susie, 52, Republican, white, paraprofessional
"Self-focused."

Mark, 62, independent, white, engineer
"Integrity."

Tara, 45, Republican, white, bus driver
"Self-centered and riding off the coattails of her father."

Ms. Cheney has conceded defeat in her re-election bid. I guess Alaska's results will take a few hours more.

The New York Times interviewed a 13-person "focus group." Here are their responses to the question "Give me a single word or phrase that you would use to describe Liz Cheney."

Tera, 46, Democrat, white, volleyball coach
"I'm afraid I'll be the black sheep, but I'd say brave."

Jessica, 43, Republican, white, child care provider
"Self-serving."

Adam, 23, Republican, white, self-employed
"Unattached."

Travis, 37, Republican, white, physical therapy
"I'm going with guts."

Troy, 35, Republican, white, dietitian
"I'm going to go with committed, dedicated."

Kristi, 53, independent, white, I.T. consultant
"I would echo that too, dedication. Asterisk."

Michelle, 40, Republican, white, administrative assistant
"Unrepresentative."

Paul, 53, Republican, white, retired
"I want to say experienced."

Jackie, 63, Republican, white, retired
"Lack of integrity."

James, 61, Republican, white, economic development
"Ambitious."

Susie, 52, Republican, white, paraprofessional
"Self-focused."

Mark, 62, independent, white, engineer
"Integrity."

Tara, 45, Republican, white, bus driver
"Self-centered and riding off the coattails of her father."
Why on Earth is the 'focus group' ten Republicans, two Independents, and one Democrat?

And what do these answers tell us, beyond 'four out of ten Republicans cannot successfully count up to 1'.

Back
Top Bottom