• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

To the Trump White House, every coronavirus wildfire is an ember - The Washington Post
“This is a copy of the map, and this is a — you have it right behind me,” he said. “That’s really very much indicating where the problems are. You see from — from that, it’s in great shape — lots of it,” meaning most of the country.

The Northeast has become very clean,” he continued. “The country is in very good shape, other than if you look South and West — some problems. That will all work out.”

Well, yeah, except for the Southern and Western parts of the country, all was well.
Yet more happy talk. What a maroon. He deserves an ignominious defeat, and it looks like he may well get one.

The Trailer: Inside the swing-state covid-19 wars - The Washington Post
As lockdowns and stay-at-home orders enter their fourth month, and as some states have pulled back from “reopening” to prevent new coronavirus infections, any hopes of political unity are long gone. Republican governors who resisted some prevention measures are absorbing blame for new infections. Republican governors who took action quickly are facing criticism for new mask mandates, either for acting slowly or for making moves opposed by some conservatives.

In states where Democratic governors face hostile Republican state legislatures, the conflict has reached another level. Four of those states — Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Wisconsin — are battlegrounds in the presidential election. The fights over how to deal with the pandemic could affect the race between President Trump and Joe Biden, with exhausted voters still supportive of stay-at-home orders and mask rules. States that were already expecting heated elections are now convulsed by fiscal crises, constitutional tugs-of-war, and accusations of King George III-style tyranny.

'Nobody’s ever seen anything like this': how coronavirus turned the US election upside down | US news | The Guardian
The pandemic was a moment when Trump could have surprised the world and proved his doubters wrong. He did not rise to the challenge in the eyes of those critics. He failed to devise a national strategy on testing, rarely spoke of the victims, refused to wear a mask until recently and undermined top public health experts such as Dr Anthony Fauci.

Leon Panetta, a former defence secretary and CIA director, said: “If you operate on the basic premise that crisis defines leadership, then you’d have to say that this crisis has also defined the failure of leadership. That has without question impacted on politics in this country.

“It’s pretty clear that there are a hell of a lot of constituencies out there that feel that he’s failed to lead with this issue. There’s a sense that in many ways he’s basically said, ‘You’re on your own in terms of dealing with this’. He at one point said he doesn’t take responsibility for what’s happening with this virus and I think that sent a real message to the country that the president’s gone awol on the country at a time of crisis.”

Trump on the phone with God:
"Donald, I've sent a virus as a test. Show the world what you're got."

"Yes Lord. What's a virus?"

"Its a disease that comes in the form of a pandemic, Donald."

"Yes Lord. What's a disease?"

"Never mind."

"Yes Lord, What's a mind?"

"remember that competency test you took?

"Yes Lord. What does competency mean?

God hangs up.

Leon Panetta said:
”He at one point said he doesn’t take responsibility for what’s happening with this virus and I think that sent a real message to the country that the president’s gone awol on the country at a time of crisis.”

And that clip should be played again and again and again and again.

To the Trump White House, every coronavirus wildfire is an ember - The Washington Post
“This is a copy of the map, and this is a — you have it right behind me,” he said. “That’s really very much indicating where the problems are. You see from — from that, it’s in great shape — lots of it,” meaning most of the country.

The Northeast has become very clean,” he continued. “The country is in very good shape, other than if you look South and West — some problems. That will all work out.”

Well, yeah, except for the Southern and Western parts of the country, all was well.

Yeah, considering the Northeast is the only part of the country that decided not to follow his advice and to stay home and to wear masks when you can't. Trump is falling back on the "stopped clock is right twice a day" strategy. Eventually "this will work out". Even if that's only temporarily he still gets to say he was right. The right wing nuts look up to anyone who finds a way to be right even when repeatedly going bankrupt.

Sagging polls and Covid's pall prompt Trump retreat on his key priorities - CNNPolitics
It took a surge of nearly two million coronavirus cases over the last month — and the spate of devastating polls that ensued — for President Donald Trump to finally begin acknowledging reality.

"It will probably, unfortunately, get worse before it gets better," Trump read grimly from a script during a subdued news conference on Tuesday, looking up from the podium to concede the gloom didn't exactly come naturally: "Something I don't like saying about things, but that's the way it is."
It's telling that he had to read a prepared speech.
The White House insisted Friday nothing had changed.

"He hasn't changed," press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said. "He hasn't changed his tone."
Sure, sure (sarcasm).
In truth, Trump's retreat came only after aides showed the President a series of crushing polls showing him not only trailing the presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden nationally and in must-win battleground states, but also revealing that a growing majority of Americans disapprove of his handling of the pandemic.

"I think he is finally starting to get it," one Trump adviser said, pointing to Trump's recognition of his dire political standing and the pandemic's reality. "But can he do this for the next 100 days? I think if he does, he wins."
Trump didn't want to seem like he failed in controlling the COVID-19 pandemic in the US. But the virus kept on spreading and making him look more and more out of touch with reality.
Still, even as Trump is now bowing to coronavirus reality, he has not abandoned his stubborn push for reopening and his tendency to make misleading statements to try and spin a rosy outlook.

While he acknowledged that some school districts might need to delay their reopening, Trump this week continued to pressure schools to return amid an uncertain environment, falsely claiming that children do not spread the virus as much as adults.

That seemed to be directly contradicted by the White House's top health expert the next morning.

"We certainly know that children under 10 do get infected. It's just unclear how rapidly they spread the virus," Dr. Deborah Birx said on NBC's "Today."

And he has continued to favorably compare the US to the rest of the world, even though most of Europe and Asia have significantly reduced their coronavirus outbreaks and are not experiencing a second surge like the US.

Sagging polls and Covid's pall prompt Trump retreat on his key priorities - CNNPolitics
It took a surge of nearly two million coronavirus cases over the last month — and the spate of devastating polls that ensued — for President Donald Trump to finally begin acknowledging reality.

"It will probably, unfortunately, get worse before it gets better," Trump read grimly from a script during a subdued news conference on Tuesday, looking up from the podium to concede the gloom didn't exactly come naturally: "Something I don't like saying about things, but that's the way it is."

It's telling that he had to read a prepared speech.

I bet Fauci, Redfield, and Birx had him sign something at their last meeting promising he'd read that at the press conference.

Spin, deride, attack: How Trump’s handling of Trump University presaged his presidency - The Washington Post
The judge was out to get him, he said. So was that prosecutor in New York, whom he called a dopey loser on a witch hunt. So were his critics, who he said were all liars. Even some of his own underlings had failed him — bad people, it turned out. He said he didn’t know them.

Donald Trump was in trouble.

Now, he was trying to attack his way out, breaking all the unwritten rules about the way a man of his position should behave. The secret to his tactic: “I don’t care” about breaking the rules, Trump said at a news conference. “Why antagonize? Because I don’t care.”

That was 2016. He was talking about a real estate school called Trump University.
He's done that with every crisis that his Admin has faced, including the coronavirus.

Trump retreats as the coronavirus surges out of control - The Washington Post
President Trump was adamant that Congress cut payroll taxes — until, suddenly, he backed down.

He demanded that all of the nation’s schools reopen for the fall semester — until, suddenly, he allowed for some wiggle room.

He insisted upon filling every seat at the Republican National Convention celebration — until, suddenly, he canceled the event. And he refused to wear a mask in public — until, suddenly, he did, and morphed into a mask evangelist.

Coronavirus ravaged Florida, as Ron DeSantis sidelined scientists and followed Trump - The Washington Post
As the virus spread out of control in Florida, decision-making became increasingly shaped by politics and divorced from scientific evidence, according to interviews with 64 current and former state and administration officials, health administrators, epidemiologists, political operatives and hospital executives. The crisis in Florida, these observers say, has revealed the shortcomings of a response built on shifting metrics, influenced by a small group of advisers and tethered at every stage to the Trump administration, which has no unified plan for addressing the national health emergency but has pushed for states to reopen.

The response — which DeSantis boasted weeks ago was among the best in the nation — has quickly sunk Florida into a deadly morass. Nearly 5,800 Floridians have now died of covid-19, the disease caused by the virus — more deaths than were suffered in combat by Americans in Afghanistan or Iraq after 2001. One out of every 52 Floridians has been infected with the virus. The state’s intensive care units are being pushed to the brink, with some over capacity. Florida’s unemployment system is overwhelmed, and its tourism industry is a shambles.
Houston, Miami, other cities face shortage of health care workers to fight coronavirus - The Washington Post
Shortages of health care workers are worsening in Houston, Miami, Baton Rouge and other cities battling sustained covid-19 outbreaks, exhausting staffers and straining hospitals’ ability to cope with spiking cases.

That need is especially dire for front-line nurses, respiratory therapists and others who play hands-on, bedside roles where one nurse is often required for each critically ill patient.

The increasingly fraught situation reflects packed hospitals across large swaths of the country: More than 8,800 covid patients are hospitalized in Texas; Florida has more than 9,400; and at least 13 other states also have thousands of hospitalizations, according to data compiled by The Washington Post.

Opinion | How California went from coronavirus success story to disaster — and how it can regain control - The Washington Post
What is driving this surge, and how can it be brought under control? California is a large and complex state, and our coronavirus challenge, too, is anything but straightforward. In fact, the best way to approach covid-19 in the Golden State is to think of it as a series of independent regional epidemics, each requiring its own solution.

In California, the infected are predominantly low-income, densely housed front-line service workers. Leaving home to work each day, they are exposed to the virus. When they return, it spreads in their households, which are often multigenerational.

Another of California’s sub-epidemics has been among people who, upon the state’s reopening, have failed to treat the virus as real and dangerous. They seem unable or unwilling to distance themselves from others and wear masks begrudgingly, if at all.

In addition, there have been explosive outbreaks in institutional settings in California. As in the rest of the country, California’s long-term care facilities, such as skilled nursing and assisted-living facilities, have been particularly vulnerable; overall, 47 percent of Californians who have died of covid-19 have been nursing home residents.

Two federal correctional institutions, Lompoc in Santa Barbara County and Terminal Island in Los Angeles County, have been particularly hard hit, with nearly 900 and nearly 700 inmates infected, respectively. California’s state prison system has fared no better.

Finally, homeless shelters and the homeless in general have been disproportionately affected. Significant outbreaks have occurred in both Los Angeles and San Francisco.
What to do about it?
Everyone would benefit from education and media campaigns emphasizing the importance of mask-wearing, hand-washing, staying at home if sick and social distancing. But these messages must be culturally and linguistically appropriate for the state’s Latino population. And in order to be effective, disincentives to isolation and quarantine need to be addressed. Individuals need to be assured that while they remain in isolation or quarantine, they will still be able to pay rent, buy groceries and have jobs to return to once the danger has passed. Federal, state and local leaders should do everything in their power to provide these assurances.

This chart of US deaths vs cases per day from an interview Chris Wallace had with former CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden on Fox News Sunday today-
CovidChartonFoxNewsSunday.jpg

Extrapolating from previous peak deaths vs peak cases, I would expect ~5000 deaths per day in the near future (like the first week in August).

Last edited:
This chart of US deaths vs cases per day from an interview Chris Wallace had with former CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden on Fox News Sunday today-
View attachment 28691

Extrapolating from previous peak deaths vs peak cases, I would expect ~5000 deaths per day in the near future (like the first week in August).

I wouldn't--demographics. It's going to be bad but not that bad.

View attachment 28691

Do you mean all those crazy 25 to 29 year old's who don't live with their parents? That might actually amplify the infection rate. It should go without saying that I hope I'm completely wrong. On the other hand that level of calamity might be what my arrogant countrymen require in order to slap some sense into them.

...that level of calamity might be what my arrogant countrymen require in order to slap some sense into them.

Yeah, that's what we thought in April too.
Nope, the republitards are all in for getting people sick. The more the better. If everyone gets infected, the new case rate will drop to near zero (it will be "a miracle!") and even the death rate will decrease from its yet-to-be-established peak by election day. If the Trump Virus is slowed to a level where ICUs are not overwhelmed anywhere, those numbers will still be robust at the end of October, and might even be back in record territory. So their anti-science stance actually makes political sense.

Donald Trump's National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, I mean HR McMaster... no wait, I mean John Bolton. Wait, that isn't right... Robert O'Brien? ... Yeah him... well, at least for now... he gots the Covid.

But it is okay. The White House indicates that Trump doesn't get briefed because it bores him, so Trump is totally safe. Besides, the guy is wholly unqualified to do the job anyway, so not briefing Trump is probably in everyone's interest.

Of other interest, the press was informed before the people that actually work for O'Brien. Don't worry, it is worse than it seems.

article said:
A senior administration official told CNN that O'Brien has been working from home since last week. A source familiar said O'Brien was last in the office last Thursday, when he abruptly left the White House. The White House statement said there is "no risk of exposure to the President or the Vice President."
It may have been days after going into quarantine until his staff found out!

Great, they found new coronavirus which is more contagious and deadly than COVID-19.
http://baochinhphu.vn/Tin-noi-bat/T...g-o-Da-Nang-va-cac-dia-phuong-khac/402010.vgp

I hope they are wrong.

They are not wrong, but your understanding of the information may be.

In China, a certain strain of the virus got loose. That strain mutated into a version of virus that is more contagious than the first, due to a change in the physical structure of the part of the virus that "picks the lock" into a human cell to infect it. That makes it more contagious, but identical in terms of the antibodies and t-cells that combat it. That strain infected Europe, and then from Europe, it came to New York... and the rest we all know.

So the "newer and worse" virus you are referring to is the original virus that made it to the US... more infectious than the one that never left China, but with identical proteins that are foiled by the same antibodies.

Further.. the (fakeish) news that people who were infected have diminishing antibodies is fearmongering... as they are simply working how every other antibody immune response works... the number of antibodies you have in your system is proportional to the viral load you have had recently. Your T-cells generate antibodies in proportion to the associated virus' load in your body. So low antibody count means you have not been exposed much lately (it is not 1 virus = infected and 0 means not... nor that billions of antibodies are needed at all times).

The virus is bad. Wearing a mask is important. Fear Mongering is not helping, though!. Science and facts first!

If you exaggerate the problem for political purposes, then people may not believe there is any problem at all... and that seems to be the case in many places.

View attachment 28691

Do you mean all those crazy 25 to 29 year old's who don't live with their parents? That might actually amplify the infection rate. It should go without saying that I hope I'm completely wrong. On the other hand that level of calamity might be what my arrogant countrymen require in order to slap some sense into them.

No, it's the death rate I was questioning. The youngsters won't die at anywhere near the rate we saw when it was ravaging the elderly. I don't see 5000/day dead in early August.

Back
Top Bottom