• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

Do you mean all those crazy 25 to 29 year old's who don't live with their parents? That might actually amplify the infection rate. It should go without saying that I hope I'm completely wrong. On the other hand that level of calamity might be what my arrogant countrymen require in order to slap some sense into them.

No, it's the death rate I was questioning. The youngsters won't die at anywhere near the rate we saw when it was ravaging the elderly. I don't see 5000/day dead in early August.

I recognize that youngsters probably won't die at anywhere near the rate that older folks do. And that there are other mitigating factors such as new treatment techniques and meds. Also I have the feeling that there are certain segments of society that are taking social distancing seriously now and wearing masks, etc. And leaving out the uncertainties as to what prudent measures to open up businesses and schools is soon going to have, I think that it will be hard to escape the potentially exponential effects of what the chart indicates might be more than doubly of average COVID-19 density within society, as well as what will happen when ICU facilities reach capacity.

"We can't let the cure be worse than the problem" -- Trump Mar. 24, 2020

Who knew that Trump would work so hard to actualize this outcome? Who knew that Trump was capable of making and fulfilling a promise like this?

"We can't let the cure be worse than the problem" -- Trump Mar. 24, 2020

Who knew that Trump would work so hard to actualize this outcome? Who knew that Trump was capable of making and fulfilling a promise like this?
It is surreal. Much like how his supporters are actively condoning deaths of people because they are old. Then we had the medication-gate where Trump mentions some drug off the cuff, and then his supporters want to hoard it! No masks, no shutdown, no empathy. Revolving cycle of Pro-Trump pandemic response.

1) The cases have dropped, we flattened the curve, let's reopen.
*cases go up (never really flattened other than in NE US)*
2) Cases aren't as important as hospitalizations.
*hospitalizations go up, hospitals ration care*
3) We have plenty of ventilators and we aren't seeing deaths increase, so the cases aren't as bad.
*deaths surge*
4) Fair accompli... you can't save everyone.
*reopenings pause, new cases slowly dropping from maxes*
5) *back to one*

To make one thing perfectly clear, Trump's reaction to the pandemic wouldn't have been possible without his incredibly hyper-partisan supporters.

Do you mean all those crazy 25 to 29 year old's who don't live with their parents? That might actually amplify the infection rate. It should go without saying that I hope I'm completely wrong. On the other hand that level of calamity might be what my arrogant countrymen require in order to slap some sense into them.

No, it's the death rate I was questioning. The youngsters won't die at anywhere near the rate we saw when it was ravaging the elderly. I don't see 5000/day dead in early August.

I recognize that youngsters probably won't die at anywhere near the rate that older folks do. And that there are other mitigating factors such as new treatment techniques and meds. Also I have the feeling that there are certain segments of society that are taking social distancing seriously now and wearing masks, etc. And leaving out the uncertainties as to what prudent measures to open up businesses and schools is soon going to have, I think that it will be hard to escape the potentially exponential effects of what the chart indicates might be more than doubly of average COVID-19 density within society, as well as what will happen when ICU facilities reach capacity.

I fully agree it's going to be bad. I just don't see 5000/day that quickly.

COVID deaths: 150,000 dead in US as states battle resurgence
The bleak milestone, reported by Johns Hopkins, comes on the heels of the U.S. hitting 4 million confirmed infections July 23. The death toll stood at 150,034 as of 4 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.

And there is not much relief in sight. The three most populous states – California, Texas and Florida – were among several that set seven-day records for virus deaths this week. Others set records for new cases. Tennessee and Arkansas set records for both.
Pelosi mandates masks in House chamber and hallways after Gohmert tests positive for Covid-19 - CNNPolitics
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Wednesday she would require all House members and aides to wear masks on the floor after Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert -- who was often in the chamber interacting with colleagues and refusing to wear a face-covering -- tested positive for coronavirus.

"Members and staff will be required to wear masks at all times in the hall of the House," Pelosi announced from the House floor Wednesday afternoon.

Lawmakers will be permitted to temporarily take off masks when they are speaking.

Members and staff will not be allowed to enter if they don't wear masks. Pelosi noted that as speaker she has the authority to direct the House sergeant-at-arms to tell members to leave if they do not wear a mask.
Jake Sherman on Twitter: "PLAYBOOK PM: After we reported that @replouiegohmert was positive, we got an email from a Gohmert aide. https://t.co/x31CSOdkLf" / Twitter
"JAKE, THANK YOU for letting our office know Louie tested positive for the Coronavirus. When you write your story, can you include the fact that Louie requires full staff to be in the office, including three interns, so that 'we could be an example to America on how to open up safely.' When probing the office, you might want to ask how often were people berated for wearing masks."

More from Jake Sherman:
A FEW THINGS ARE CLEAR after covering Washington for four months in the coronavirus era:

Most take this seriously, but not everyone. all it takes is one irresponsible person -- an armchair scientist who decides masks aren’t for them, or their entire office should work in person in the middle of a pandemic -- for many of us to get sick with a virus that could kill us.

MEMBERS OF CONGRESS arrive here from all over America nearly every week. They can’t conduct their business from afar -- fair enough. But neither can we -- journalists -- or the House and Senate floor staff, maintenance workers or anyone who has to keep this massive complex afloat.

YET, THE CONGRESSIONAL LEADERSHIP refuses to require testing or masks for the people who come into the building each week.

LET’S BE REAL: The Capitol has superspreader written all over it. People are coming off planes, out of cars, and many of them can’t be relied upon to follow basic masking rules that are mandatory across the country.

TESTING FOR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS is up to Speaker NANCY PELOSI and Senate Majority Leader MITCH MCCONNELL. The White House has offered it to the Hill.

CREDIT WHERE IT’S DUE, @pkcapitol says it the best: If you’re a caddy on the PGA Tour or professional baseball player, you’re facing a tougher Covid testing regime than members of Congress.

What do the repubs think will happen to the economy when the unemployment payments stimulus is gone?

What do the repubs think will happen to the economy when the unemployment payments stimulus is gone?

Trump loses, Biden is stuck with another shit economy. Trump wins, they drive bus over him in 2022. They are already rich, so it doesn’t matter to them.

Herman Cain has died from Covid-19.

It wasn't a motorcycle accident that was mislabeled. It wasn't a fake death by a coroner. He contracted the disease, very possibly by his reckless actions and being around an infected person who wasn't wearing a mask (even possibly at the Trump rally!), and he has died after spending weeks in the hospital. Like over 150,000 other Americans.

The GOP has to wake the fuck up!

It wasn't a motorcycle accident that was mislabeled. It wasn't a fake death by a coroner. He contracted the disease, very possibly by his reckless actions and being around an infected person who wasn't wearing a mask (even possibly at the Trump rally!), and he has died after spending weeks in the hospital. Like over 150,000 other Americans.

Yes, they do. But, will they? I doubt it.

Yes, they do. But, will they? I doubt it.

They are incapable of doing so.

Louie Gohmert, the Texas Rep known for not wearing a mask, and forcing his staffers to work in the office without wearing masks, now thinks he got COVID from wearing the mask he never wore:
The dumbest man in Congress said:
I can’t help but think that if I hadn’t been wearing a mask so much in the last 10 days or so, I really wonder if I would have gotten it...

They are incapable of doing so.

Louie Gohmert, the Texas Rep known for not wearing a mask, and forcing his staffers to work in the office without wearing masks, now thinks he got COVID from wearing the mask he never wore:
The dumbest man in Congress said:
I can’t help but think that if I hadn’t been wearing a mask so much in the last 10 days or so, I really wonder if I would have gotten it...

Gohmert met with Barr the day before he found out he was infected I believe. If he infected Barr, and Barr is hospitalized for a couple months, then Gohmert will have finally done something that benefits the country. Without Trump's #1 cleaner the dirt will start to pile up, and the rats will move a little faster to the life boats.

The congressional underclass erupts in fury after Gohmert gets Covid-19 - POLITICO - "The men and women who make Capitol Hill run are anxious and angry about the risks they've been forced to take amid the pandemic."
Now, legislative aides, chiefs of staff, press assistants, members of Congress, career workers and maintenance men and women are venting their fury with an institution that does not have uniform rules or masking requirements, does not mandate testing, is run with minimal oversight and must contend with a gaggle of lawmakers who doubt scientists and hold themselves out as experts on everything from disease hygiene to pharmacology.

“There is a general fear that saying anything critical of the current office policy — or lack of policy — will lead to retaliation,” said an aide to a Republican lawmaker who had been infected, one of a slew of staffers who spoke to POLITICO about their anxiety working in the Capitol.

Hours after Gohmert tested positive — the second case among GOP lawmakers in three weeks — Speaker Nancy Pelosi swiftly implemented a mask mandate for House office buildings and the chamber itself. House Republican leaders recirculated a memo to stress guidance from the Capitol physician, such as limiting or rotating staff, encouraging masks, and implementing home temperature checks.

“The reporting on this situation has led to other reports suggesting House staff reporting unsafe work conditions,” the GOP memo, obtained by POLITICO reads.

Reporters’ inboxes have exploded with complaints and tales of lax safety measures, careless bosses and a widespread feeling that their health was viewed as expendable.

Many described feeling uncomfortable taking the very kinds of health steps recommended by public health experts, and feeling pressured to report to work in person despite the risks. Multiple aides said it was common to mock those wearing masks, or brush off concerns among staff members with specific health issues.

Turning Point USA co-founder dies of coronavirus-related complications - POLITICO
The co-founder of conservative student group Turning Point USA, Bill Montgomery, has died from complications of the coronavirus, according to two friends of his.

Montgomery, who started it in 2012 with young conservative star Charlie Kirk, died at the age of 80 on Tuesday from Covid-19, according to pro-Trump conservative strategist Caleb Hull, who posted about the death on Twitter and his personal Facebook page, and Chicago-based citizen journalist Vic Maggio.

“I really wish people would just stop politicizing this pandemic and grow up while innocent people around us are dying,” Hull also said. “You have no idea how painful it is to be forced to sit at home while your loved one dies alone in a hospital.”

How Jared Kushner’s Secret Testing Plan “Went Poof Into Thin Air”

By early April, some who worked on the (testing) plan were given the strong impression that it would soon be shared with President Trump and announced by the White House. The plan, though imperfect, was a starting point. Simply working together as a nation on it “would have put us in a fundamentally different place,” said the participant.

But the effort ran headlong into shifting sentiment at the White House. Trusting his vaunted political instincts, President Trump had been downplaying concerns about the virus and spreading misinformation about it—efforts that were soon amplified by Republican elected officials and right-wing media figures. Worried about the stock market and his reelection prospects, Trump also feared that more testing would only lead to higher case counts and more bad publicity. Meanwhile, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House’s coronavirus response coordinator, was reportedly sharing models with senior staff that optimistically—and erroneously, it would turn out—predicted the virus would soon fade away.

Against that background, the prospect of launching a large-scale national plan was losing favor, said one public health expert in frequent contact with the White House’s official coronavirus task force.

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

That logic may have swayed Kushner. “It was very clear that Jared was ultimately the decision maker as to what [plan] was going to come out,” the expert said.

How Jared Kushner’s Secret Testing Plan “Went Poof Into Thin Air”

By early April, some who worked on the (testing) plan were given the strong impression that it would soon be shared with President Trump and announced by the White House. The plan, though imperfect, was a starting point. Simply working together as a nation on it “would have put us in a fundamentally different place,” said the participant.

But the effort ran headlong into shifting sentiment at the White House. Trusting his vaunted political instincts, President Trump had been downplaying concerns about the virus and spreading misinformation about it—efforts that were soon amplified by Republican elected officials and right-wing media figures. Worried about the stock market and his reelection prospects, Trump also feared that more testing would only lead to higher case counts and more bad publicity. Meanwhile, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House’s coronavirus response coordinator, was reportedly sharing models with senior staff that optimistically—and erroneously, it would turn out—predicted the virus would soon fade away.

Against that background, the prospect of launching a large-scale national plan was losing favor, said one public health expert in frequent contact with the White House’s official coronavirus task force.

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

That logic may have swayed Kushner. “It was very clear that Jared was ultimately the decision maker as to what [plan] was going to come out,” the expert said.

IOW Jared worked really really really hard on figuring out how to spin no plan whatsoever as a plan.
I don't know when that guy finds time to sleep, what with all the hard work he is doing.

Back
Top Bottom