• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

Trump's Gut Collides With Science on Coronavirus Messaging : NPR
President Trump is known to say what's on his mind, to go with his gut and accentuate the positive. That approach is now colliding with a public health emergency in the form of coronavirus.

The challenge posed by Trump's breezy style was on full display Wednesday night in an interview in which he disputed the World Health Organization's recent coronavirus death rate estimate of 3.4%.

During the interview, Trump also revealed that he was concerned that repatriating Americans from the Diamond Princess cruise ship that was held in Japan last month would "look bad" because it would increase the total number of coronavirus cases in the United States. "I felt we had to do it. And, in one way, I hated to do it statistically," Trump said.

Have the politicians talk to the public about practical things they can do to reduce their risks, like washing hands and cleaning surfaces, he said. And, when asked a technical question, have an expert on hand to answer it.

"People understand if the president or any of the political leaders are not experts in everything," he said.
Something which Vice President Pence is doing, calling on Debbie Birx to give a response about something - Debbie Birx, AIDS Expert, To Help U.S. Coronavirus Response : NPR
Alongside with the experience Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar brings to the table, we should expect 100,000 dead Americans, tops. BUt we can just say most of them died of the flu.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Once again, Trump demonstrates what a piece of shit he is. He's would prefer to keep healthy people confined on a plague ship because he doesn't want the infected people to increase the numbers and make him look bad.

Mr. Trump said he would prefer not to let 3,533 people on board a cruise ship held off the coast of California disembark onto American soil, even if they were placed into quarantine, in part because it would inflate the number of American infections and make the situation look worse. But he added that he had backed down from that position and authorized federal health officials to decide the matter as they saw fit.

“They would like to have the people come off,” he said. “I would like to have the people stay. I told them to make the final decision. I would rather — because I like the numbers being where they are. I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault. And it wasn’t the fault of the people on the ship either. OK? It wasn’t their fault, either. And they are mostly Americans.”

“It was just a stupid thing to say.
I'll say.
What would happen to the mortality rate if the entire nation was sick At the same time? Including the doctors, nurses, culinary, janitorial, maintenance staff for the various machines keeping us alive (those of us that badly affected), the guys driving the trucks of medical supplies, food supplies, cleaning supplies...

Satellite images show empty airports, tourist attractions due to coronavirus - CNN - the travel business is very hard hit. Airlines, cruise ships, hotels, taxis, ...

Fact check: White House falsely claims the coronavirus has been 'contained' in the US - CNNPolitics
President Donald Trump's top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, falsely claimed on Friday that the coronavirus "is contained" in the US. Another senior Trump official, counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway, made a similar though slightly less definitive claim, saying that the virus "is being contained."

Facts First: Experts say the US has not come close to containing the coronavirus. They also say the small number of tests conducted in the United States so far has prevented the government from getting an accurate picture of how widespread the virus truly is.

"In the US it is the opposite of contained," said Harvard University epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch, director of Harvard's Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics. "It is spreading so efficiently in so many places that it may be difficult to stop."

"In my scientific opinion and based on the available information, the situation is not contained," said Aubree Gordon, associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan.

"As many states in the US report an increasing number of cases, I do not believe it would be accurate to say that COVID-19 is contained globally or in the US," said Jennifer Horney, professor and founding director of the epidemiology program at the University of Delaware.
President Trump has never got into very serious trouble over his entire adult life. The closest he has gotten is when major banks became reluctant to loan money to him for his businesses after some bankruptcies in the late 1990's. He was bailed out by some Russian oligarchs.

But there's always a first time.

Lawrence Kudlow says everything is fine and people infected should go to work.

Won't someone think of the businesses!

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/faO0OhZpCQE[/YOUTUBE]

And Wall Street will be your Truth-O-Meter, Fuckstick.
Both the Dow Jones and the S&P 500 had a rather precipitous drop over Feb 21 - Feb 28, though both indices rose a bit on Mar 2. They fell, then they rose, and they are now falling again. Both indices look less stable now than they were before their recent fall.

Trump calls Inslee a 'snake' over criticism of coronavirus rhetoric - POLITICO - "The president went off on Inslee for saying that he wanted Trump to stick to the science when discussing the coronavirus outbreak."
“I told Mike not to be complimentary of that governor because that governor is a snake,” Trump said, referring to Vice President Mike Pence. “So Mike may be happy with him but I'm not, OK?”

Trump has repeatedly complained that he isn’t getting enough credit for attempting to prevent the outbreak.

“If we came up with a cure today, and tomorrow everything is gone, and you went up to this governor — who is, you know, not a good governor, by the way — if you went up to this governor, and you said to him, ‘How did Trump do?’ He would say, ‘He did a terrible job.’ It makes no difference,” Trump said Friday.

Jay Inslee on Twitter: "I just received a call from @VP Mike Pence, thanking Washington state for our efforts to combat the coronavirus.
I told him our work would be more successful if the Trump administration stuck to the science and told the truth." / Twitter

Sean Hannity says Dems, 'media mob' weaponizing coronavirus against President Trump: 'Predictable and disgraceful' | Fox News
Sean Hannity called out Democrats and the media for using the coronavirus outbreak as a "weapon" to attack President Trump, saying such rhetoric is unfair to the president.

"The mob in the media, Democrats. What do they do? 'I want to use a deadly virus as a political weapon against the president,' seemingly rooting for this to be 'Trump's Katrina,'" Hannity said on his television program. "They want you to believe that the spread of corona is the president's fault and he's not doing enough to protect you."
What self-pity. Right-wingers claim that they are for more responsibility, then they come out with stuff like this.

Matt Gaetz Wore Gas Mask To Mock Coronavirus Concerns. One Of His Constituents Just Died From It. | HuffPost
noting
Rep. Matt Gaetz on Twitter: "Reviewing the coronavirus supplemental appropriation and preparing to go vote. https://t.co/wjJ4YY4VZz" / Twitter - showing him wearing that gas mask

Two days later, Congressman Matt Gaetz Issues Statement on First Coronavirus Death in Northwest Florida | Congressman Matt Gaetz

GOP Group Hits Donald Trump With Supercut Of His Offensive, Ridiculous Statements | HuffPost -- for some reason, this article had some video showing Trump, Boris Johnson (UK), Emmanuel Macron (FR), Jacinda Ardern (NZ), Scott Morrison (AU), Justin Trudeau (CA), Giuseppe Conte (IT) all reacting to the coronavirus epidemic. Trump very cavalierly dismisses it while all the other leaders are seriously concerned.

As Americans Continue To Get Coronavirus, Trump Shows He Doesn't Really Care | HuffPost
A meeting between President Donald Trump and health officials that was meant to reassure the public about the coronavirus instead became a sideshow in which the president praised himself, asked about television ratings and suggested sick passengers on a cruise ship stay there because he didn’t want to include them in U.S. infection numbers.
He bragged about his expertise in epidemiology.
“People are really surprised I understand this stuff,” Trump said during a press briefing at the CDC. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”
More of his "expertise":
“I think the 3.4% is really a false number,” Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity on Wednesday. “Now, and this is just my hunch, and — but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this.”
One needs a lot of experience and practice to get a good intuition about anything.

Why not a flu vaccine?
“But the same vaccine could not work?” he said. “You take a solid flu vaccine — you don’t think that would have an impact or much of an impact on corona?”
It wouldn't. COVID-19's coat proteins are likely different enough from those of typical flu viruses to make vaccines against flu useless against COVID-19. Even with the flu, one often needs new vaccines to catch up with new strains.

Flight Attendant Union Chief Slams Trump 'Chaos' Over Coronavirus | HuffPost
noting
The Last Word on Twitter: ".@FlyingWithSara tells @Lawrence that President Donald Trump is not taking the Coronavirus outbreak seriously and that he is putting "my members at risk, my members' jobs at risk and the economy at risk." [url]https://t.co/gMVb1g3obw https://t.co/fYJk0bv3wE" / Twitter[/url]
noting
Flight attendant leader "disheartened" with Trump Admin. coronavirus response
Sara Nelson, the president of the Association of Flight Attendants, tells Lawrence O'Donnell that President Donald Trump is not taking the Coronavirus outbreak seriously and that he is putting "my members at risk, my members' jobs at risk and the economy at risk."
From the main article, she criticized the Trump Admin for putting “both my members and the traveling public in harm’s way.”
Speaking on MSNBC’s “The Last Word,” Nelson recalled to host Lawrence O’Donnell how, under Obama’s “Ebola czar” Ronald Klain, she and other industry leaders were repeatedly brought together to discuss action both on the front lines and in the U.S.

But, with the Trump White House amid the coronavirus outbreak, she said, “we can’t even talk here about what we can do in a coordinated way, with good information in this country, to be able to contain this.”
What horrible leadership.

Josh Marshall on Twitter: "Trump: CDC "doctors say how do you know so much about this? Maybe I have a natural ability." https://t.co/NUSJJL8SQJ" / Twitter

That self-congratulation is obscene. People's lives are at risk.

Flight Attendant Union Chief Slams Trump 'Chaos' Over Coronavirus | HuffPost
noting
The Last Word on Twitter: ".@FlyingWithSara tells @Lawrence that President Donald Trump is not taking the Coronavirus outbreak seriously and that he is putting "my members at risk, my members' jobs at risk and the economy at risk." [url]https://t.co/gMVb1g3obw https://t.co/fYJk0bv3wE" / Twitter[/url]
noting
Flight attendant leader "disheartened" with Trump Admin. coronavirus response
Sara Nelson, the president of the Association of Flight Attendants, tells Lawrence O'Donnell that President Donald Trump is not taking the Coronavirus outbreak seriously and that he is putting "my members at risk, my members' jobs at risk and the economy at risk."
From the main article, she criticized the Trump Admin for putting “both my members and the traveling public in harm’s way.”
Speaking on MSNBC’s “The Last Word,” Nelson recalled to host Lawrence O’Donnell how, under Obama’s “Ebola czar” Ronald Klain, she and other industry leaders were repeatedly brought together to discuss action both on the front lines and in the U.S.

But, with the Trump White House amid the coronavirus outbreak, she said, “we can’t even talk here about what we can do in a coordinated way, with good information in this country, to be able to contain this.”
What horrible leadership.

Josh Marshall on Twitter: "Trump: CDC "doctors say how do you know so much about this? Maybe I have a natural ability." https://t.co/NUSJJL8SQJ" / Twitter

That self-congratulation is obscene. People's lives are at risk.

"Nobody knew people died from the flu. I didn't know."
- Your Ignorant President

Have you ever looked at someone and said "Why hasn't someone hit you with a shovel yet?"

Everytime I see Bonespurs speak.

Paywalled link so I won't provide it:

The CDC recommendation for those at higher risk included not flying commercial. His Flatulence removed that. #NotMuzzled

Back
Top Bottom