• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's Tax Returns

I think you'd be far better pursuing the issue of him not creating a true blind trust when he became president. That shows conflict of interest. I don't know what his taxes are supposed to show that would prove conflict.

I assume you mean other than business dealings with and debts to foreign organizations with whom he now makes decisions worth hundreds of billions of dollars for those entities.

i don't know much about taxes. Taxes show business dealings, I know. They also show debts? Do they show debts being erased without payment too? That could be useful if it is there.

And what is Trump suspected of and accused of that will show up in his tax returns? That he did business with Russia? I am sure he did. Why wouldn't he have? He ran an international company. Or would the tax returns somehow indicate that he is bought by the Russians? If the latter then this makes sense.
I'll try to make this simple to understand. Three words. I'll make them large.

CONFLICTS OF INTEREST

I think you'd be far better pursuing the issue of him not creating a true blind trust when he became president. That shows conflict of interest. I don't know what his taxes are supposed to show that would prove conflict.

Is there some reason that both issues (and a host of others) cannot be pursued at the same time?

If a person were accused of robbery, rape, and murder, would you not pursue all of those issues when charging that person? Or would you say, "Oh gee, I think you would be far better pursuing the issue of robbery. It is easier to convict him of robbery, so why are we charging him those other crimes?"

Is there some reason that both issues (and a host of others) cannot be pursued at the same time?

If a person were accused of robbery, rape, and murder, would you not pursue all of those issues when charging that person? Or would you say, "Oh gee, I think you would be far better pursuing the issue of robbery. It is easier to convict him of robbery, so why are we charging him those other crimes?"

More to the point in the case at hand, motives for not creating a true blind trust would be very difficult to prove - especially since they're so obvious. But tax fraud is generally committed in black and white.

More to the point in the case at hand, motives for not creating a true blind trust would be very difficult to prove - especially since they're so obvious. But tax fraud is generally committed in black and white.

Tax fraud is, but is that what you're expecting to see? I thought this was about him having a conflict of interest regarding Russia. I'm not seeing why that would necessarily show up as tax fraud.

But a blind trust should always exist for a President or anyone else who will have direct influence over what could unjustly benefit their businesses. I'm surprised if that isn't a law. It should be. If it isn't, has there been any push to make it one? Trump Administration using Trump Hotels without a blind trust should definitely be a bigger deal than it is seen as.

I'm surprised if that isn't a law. It should be. If it isn't, has there been any push to make it one?
It's like the two-term limit. Honored by everyone...
... until it wasn't...
...then put in writing.
I expect a lot to be put in writing in2020....

And what is Trump suspected of and accused of that will show up in his tax returns? That he did business with Russia? I am sure he did. Why wouldn't he have? He ran an international company. Or would the tax returns somehow indicate that he is bought by the Russians? If the latter then this makes sense.
I'll try to make this simple to understand. Three words. I'll make them large.

CONFLICTS OF INTEREST

This

And emoluments clause violations.

I understand Congress can request tax returns of any person and they did request Trump's, so what is the delay here? Why have not they got it already?

Tax fraud is, but is that what you're expecting to see? I thought this was about him having a conflict of interest regarding Russia. I'm not seeing why that would necessarily show up as tax fraud.

Conflict of interest is almost as soft a value as motives for not creating a blind trust. But anyone in their right mind would expect to find demonstrable tax fraud, knowing that everything that Cheato does is fraudulent. If they are honestly - or even just ostensibly looking for conflicts of interest, it is a virtual certainty that any close examination of Trumps taxes writ large (incl company filings) will turn up violations. Potentially even more devastating - those returns might reveal that he's not rich like he says.

I understand Congress can request tax returns of any person and they did request Trump's, so what is the delay here? Why have not they got it already?

That's just a law. Trump doesn't do laws. He has an attorney general and a toady at the IRS making sure he doesn't have to comply with that law either.

Tax fraud is, but is that what you're expecting to see?
Actually, Trump's former lawyer alluded to some tax fraud. Allegedly Trump was deliberately undervaluing his real estate, depreciating it so that he could claim losses on his taxes.

I thought this was about him having a conflict of interest regarding Russia. I'm not seeing why that would necessarily show up as tax fraud.
This isn't necessarily about Russia at all. Everyone with half a brain knows Trump is a crook. Ask any of the dozens (hundreds?) of contractors and other business associates that have been screwed over by Trump over the years. Don't you think anyone with marginal respect for fair play, decency, and justice should want a crook kicked out of ANY position of power?

You just can't trust a crook. Well, you can trust a crook to take care of themselves, but that's about it.
But a blind trust should always exist for a President or anyone else who will have direct influence over what could unjustly benefit their businesses. I'm surprised if that isn't a law. It should be. If it isn't, has there been any push to make it one? Trump Administration using Trump Hotels without a blind trust should definitely be a bigger deal than it is seen as.
Indeed.

Latest I heard last night was Mnuchin intervened between the IRS commisioner who actually was given the request and who is actually completely responsible for and legally bound to turn over the tax returns. Yesterday at a meeting before congress the commissioner reneged on that responsibility by trying to defer to Treasury Secretary Mnuchin's oversight of the IRS dept., whence the congressperson said they would obtain legal advice on his ability to do this. Meantime Mnuchin claims he's overseeing the process of turning them over to make sure it's done correctly and constitutionally. Which can only serve as a delay tactic. Much squirming and bunching of panties is becoming apparent.

Here’s the Law That Requires Mnuchin to Turn Over Trump’s Taxes, or Lose His Office and Go to Prison

Section 7214(a), provides that “Any officer or employee of the United States acting in connection with any revenue law of the United States… who with intent to defeat the application of any provision of this title fails to perform any of the duties of his office or employment… shall be dismissed from office or discharged from employment and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years or both.” ...

Mnuchin, a former Goldman Sachs partner and savings and loan company chief executive, is only 56. Removal from office alone could mean an end to his big paydays in finance under existing regulations.

Looks like it's not going to be fun anymore.

Here’s the Law That Requires Mnuchin to Turn Over Trump’s Taxes, or Lose His Office and Go to Prison

Section 7214(a), provides that “Any officer or employee of the United States acting in connection with any revenue law of the United States… who with intent to defeat the application of any provision of this title fails to perform any of the duties of his office or employment… shall be dismissed from office or discharged from employment and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned not more than 5 years or both.” ...

Mnuchin, a former Goldman Sachs partner and savings and loan company chief executive, is only 56. Removal from office alone could mean an end to his big paydays in finance under existing regulations.

A law is meaningless if it can't be enforced.

How so?

A law is meaningless if it can't won't be enforced.

FTFY

How so?

If a tree falls in the woods, and there is no one around to hear it, does the federal marshal get a call to arrest it?

I think the main incentive for Mnuchin to avoid violating the law would be in how it effects his future career opportunities. Not so much whether he gets to continue serving Trump. It would pretty much deny him the prestige that comes from having served as Secretary of the Treasury. Trump might actually do him a favor by canning him at this point.

If a tree falls in the woods, and there is no one around to hear it, does the federal marshal get a call to arrest it?

I think the main incentive for Mnuchin to avoid violating the law would be in how it effects his future career opportunities. Not so much whether he gets to continue serving Trump. It would pretty much deny him the prestige that comes from having served as Secretary of the Treasury. Trump might actually do him a favor by canning him at this point.

Yeah sure. But like many others, teh Munchkin has been assured that after Billy Boy, he is #2 in line to suck Trump's dick. As long as he swallows that lie, he'll just keep on swallowing... nothing is out of bounds whilst the Power Above the Law is promising pardons and great riches.

Back
Top Bottom