• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tucker Carlson's College Yearbook Says He Belonged to Club for Harvey Milk's Murderer

I do agree it's probably pointless because we already know that Tucker Carlson is a bigot, and it's not surprising that his history shows he always has been.

Exactly! Because of things when he was at an age when he can't blame youthful indiscretion. Why bother with the old shit?

I do agree it's probably pointless because we already know that Tucker Carlson is a bigot, and it's not surprising that his history shows he always has been.

Exactly! Because of things when he was at an age when he can't blame youthful indiscretion. Why bother with the old shit?

Because it isn't old. It shows a likely long pattern of endorsing White male Christians who kill.

What is it that you think is happening here? The op post is a description and even calls it a "small footnote" in comparison to what happens next. Does the op post endorse his firing? Nope. BUT I will tell you this. Per Voltaire, people have a right to be critical and express themselves by describing Tucker Carlson's support of White male Christians who kill. His latest endorsement goes to Derek Chauvin but right before that he was talking about White replacement theory. He's always throwing a bone to serious killers...whether it's through this very small footnote in time through some sort of minimization joke or an actual, literal support of conservatives offing gays...which was more of a thing in the time that Carlson added the comment. Sure, he's got plausible deniability for it being a joke and people think he has plausible deniability now because he never comes out and says, "I'm a neo-fascist racist," and even if he did, people would claim he was joking. Yet he keeps supporting their ideological narratives over and over and the rumor is soon he will seek a political nomination. And going back to Voltaire, people can speak out about Tucker Carlson. It's their right and you should be defending their right 100%.

It's also the right of advertisers to pull their business relations from his show. They are free to do that if he becomes unpopular. I support them EITHER WAY. I am making no endorsement of anything, merely description. I am also okay if he runs for President. It's his right. I will vote against him if his main opponent is better than he is. And I will continue to call him what he is. Because I can. Because Voltaire.

But there's more here as well, if you read the whole op article:
It's not yet clear what exactly the Dan White Society was or whether Carlson will address this latest controversy during his 8 p.m. ET show Wednesday night. What is clear, however, is that Carlson believes inappropriate old yearbook content is fair game for criticism: In 2020, he called Virginia Governor Ralph Northam "Governor Klan Robes Blackface," referring to a previously uncovered set of yearbook photos showing the then-student in a Ku Klux Klan costume and blackface.

IF you really support Tucker Carlson 100%, then it means that you support people being critical of old yearbook photos making alleged jokes of things serious. In which case, you also support people being critical of Carlson. And that means you don't support Carlson 100%. This contradiction comes from Carlson's hypocrisy. BUT again, it's not merely about hypocrisy but instead the sustained support of policy and people who are neo-fascist racists or White male Christians who kill. Can we say the same thing about Governor what's-his-face? Nope. That actually was a single point in time of a bad joke with no political pattern or ramifications to the future. Carlson, though, is a serious endorser and enabler and so he deserves more criticism.

"Joking" about being in a fan club of a guy that murdered a Harvey Milk is a "youthful indiscretion"?

That smells like the, "all people say things they don't mean when they are angry" defense of Mel Gibson and his tirade against Jews.

I can't agree. The list of un-PC things I've said over the years, and especially in my early years, would, if they reflected my true thinking, brand me as, you name it, every kind of bigoted "-ist" there is. Most people are better than the things they may say in banter, or to be part of a rowdy group, or to attempt dark humor.

I can't agree. The list of un-PC things I've said over the years, and especially in my early years, would, if they reflected my true thinking, brand me as, you name it, every kind of bigoted "-ist" there is. Most people are better than the things they may say in banter, or to be part of a rowdy group, or to attempt dark humor.

Funny how things change as people age.

When I was young I was quite PC. I wouldn't consider repeating, for example, a vicious gay joke. Now, I'm old and crotchety. I don't care as much about what people might think of me.

Now, I get an evil thrill by annoying SJWs with dark humor occasionally.

And GET OFF MY LAWN YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!
Tom

No, not exactly. "Bothering with old shit" may not be crucial to understanding that Tucker Carlson is a bigot (because he gives us fresh evidence daily), but just shows that there is a consistency, that it was not some random stupid thing but just another brick in the bigotry wall, you might say..

Funny how things change as people age.

When I was young I was quite PC. I wouldn't consider repeating, for example, a vicious gay joke. Now, I'm old and crotchety. I don't care as much about what people might think of me.
What you are describing isn't that you were "PC", but rather hide how you really felt.

Now, I get an evil thrill by annoying SJWs with dark humor occasionally.
Seems to be more than occasionally.

Said things I shouldn't have said, yeah, probably. Said things about race, gender, etc... I shouldn't have said? At worst maybe naïve. And certainly never because "I was angry".

Time for a fact check...

From the op article:
Jeff Bezos had one of his minions, a mentally unbalanced middle-aged man called Erik Wemple, pull our dusty college yearbook and call around and see if we'd done anything naughty at the age of 19," Carlson said...

Was Tucker Carlson actually 19 when this happened? He was just a teenager!!!1111!! Remember Trayvon Martin was 17. Remember conservatives were calling him a man...

Tucker Carlson was born May 16th, 1969 in the San Francisco, California area1. He graduated from Trinity College in 19912 which was the publish year of the yearbook. Typical colleges graduate their students in the month of May, meaning he turned 22 right around the time of his graduation, possibly right after. Given that yearbooks are also typically done earlier than the graduation date, he was probably technically 21 at the time the yearbook was published. He may have been closer to 22 or closer to 21. It isn't known which, but he was not 19.

However, directing people to scenarios of a 19 year old is a sneaky way to get people to say he was a teenager while still retaining plausible deniability that that's not what he meant. And then next in his defense, "well, 22 is close to 19 anyway, right? I mean, you're still pretty much a teenager." This from the very people calling Trayvon Martin a man at 17.

Moreover, it's not really about this small footnote. This is just a small piece of a larger pattern that includes today and will go on into the future into something worse.

1 State of California. California Birth Index, 1905-1995. Sacramento, CA, USA: State of California Department of Health Services, Center for Health Statistics.
2 There is an article ( https://www.cjr.org/the_profile/tucker-carlson.php ) that states he graduated in 1992 and implies he afterward got married. However, there are other different articles that say he was married3 and graduated in 1991. We'd have been rounding to 22 or 23 years of age at the time of his "joke," if it was 1992, instead of 21 or 22. Therefore, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that the article typo'ed and just using 1991. The point is still made.
3 Detroit Free Press. Detroit, Michigan. 28 Aug 1991, Wed. Page 58. -- this has the wedding announcement from the Aug 10th, 1991 wedding. So it seems he did graduate in 1991, not 1992.

To continue the above facts...

Here is a link to the yearbook. His photo is on page 184 and if you put 186 (because of the cover) into the textbox you can get to it.

If you also examine the last 20 or so pages with page numbers, you can see that the graduation was May 26th, 10 days after Tucker Carlson's 22nd birthday. So publication of the yearbook was some time after the graduation or at least the last edition was, if there were even editions, probably not. Now, even if Carlson submitted the Dan White Society caption prior to his birthday on May 16th, he still had a lot of time to decide while he was 22 to change his mind and ask them to remove it.

I know that there is only 3 years between 19 and 22 and I know that people do stupid things when they are 22 as well, but again, this isn't about this small footnote, but how the small footnote is part of a larger pattern that continues to today and will go beyond that in intensity at some point. We are allowed to make noise about it and the current stuff--like white replacement theory--because of free speech.

Here's the thing.
Lots, most even, people change over time. But some more than others, and some in different ways.
Carlson is still doing the same thing, on this subject, decades later, and much more publicly/professionally. That's why his history of this matters. It's not new or different, it's the same old stuff.
Tom

An ugly tattoo you did when you were 18 is always cooler than a beautiful tattoo you get at 40.

18????? Hahaha. I got a tattoo when I was 10 or 11. My sister did it who was a year older than me. Now she's a Jehovah's Witness. I'm an infidel, but not a heavily tattoo'ed guy. When I was in the military I got another tattoo over the terrible one my sister did and now it is less embarrassing. None of these youthful indiscretions were part of a long-term pattern that applied to my sister's or my adulthood. Ultimately, they were related to my mother's neglect, not our personalities. Also, not every small child who kills an animal ends up turning into a serial killer, too. It's true. I remember a kid who used to kill frogs with firecrackers. He did not end up a serial killer.

However, all that said, this op is not about a one-time endorsement of White male Christian killers as was made clear in the op, but it's a larger pattern of Tucker Carlson.

Fox News host Tucker Carlson, one of the most influential voices on the political right, explicitly endorsed the white supremacist "Great Replacement" theory during his Thursday night program.

Carlson argued that Democratic lawmakers are "importing a brand new electorate" of "Third World" immigrants to "dilute" Americans' political power by adding more voters to the rolls. He described his argument as the so-called replacement theory, which is a core belief of white supremacists that has motivated racist violence and mass murder in the US and around the world.

"I know that the left and all the little gatekeepers on Twitter become literally hysterical if you use the term 'replacement,' if you suggest that the Democratic Party is trying to replace the current electorate — the voters now casting ballots — with new people, more obedient voters from the Third World," Carlson told his audience, which is among the largest in cable news. "But they become hysterical because that's what's happening, actually. Let's just say it. That's true."
https://www.businessinsider.com/tuc...remacist-replacement-conspiracy-theory-2021-4

Here's a recent example but there are many more. We can discuss this.

Did Tucker Carlson apologize for his head writer’s racist, sexist and homophobic posts? Of course not

I’ll admit it.

I thought there was a good chance that Fox News host Tucker Carlson would apologize for the racist, sexist, homophobic online rants posted by his head writer Blake Neff, who resigned Friday after CNN exposed him. So I turned on Carlson’s show Monday night to see how he would handle himself.

For the last five years, as we learned in a report from CNN’s Oliver Darcy, Neff had secretly been posting garbage on AutoAdmit, an online forum where lawyers and law students gather virtually, and where, as Darcy put it, “racism and sexism run rampant.”

Some examples of Neff’s recents posts:
“Honestly, given how tired Black people always claim to be, maybe the real crisis is their lack of sleep.”

“Black doods staying inside playing Call of Duty is probably one of the biggest factors keeping crime down.”

“This may be a lot of things, this moment we’re living through, but it is definitely not about Black lives. Remember that when they come for you, and at this rate, they will.”

OK, so that last example wasn’t something Neff posted. That was actually something Carlson said on his program, shortly after George Floyd was killed by a police officer in Minneapolis in May, back when Neff was still his head writer. Floyd’s horrific death inspired people around the world to take to the streets to protest racism. Carlson used the moment to stoke white fear.

Tucker Carlson: Women Are ‘Primitive’ and ‘Just Need to Be Quiet and Kind of Do What You’re Told’

Fox News Host Tucker Carlson is under fire for his degrading comments about women.

An audio recording has surfaced of Tucker calling women “primitive,” “basic” and “not hard to understand.” He also defended child rapists and underage marriage. The remarks were recorded between 2006 and 2011 on the “Bubba the Love Sponge Show,” a popular radio program broadcast from Tampa.

During one of the conversations about Warren Jeffs, the former leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who is currently serving a life sentence for child rape, Carlson said the charges against him were “bull***t” and that “arranging a marriage between a 16-year-old and a 27-year-old is not the same as pulling a stranger off the street and raping her.”

Marrying a little girl is fine for Carlson because “The rapist, in this case, has made a lifelong commitment to live and take care of the person, so it is a little different.”

Carlson also believes that a reasonable punishment for dogfighting would be execution with no jail time for child rapists. On the radio show, Carlson said that if he made the laws, “Michael Vick would have been executed, and Warren Jeffs would be out on the street.”

Tucker Carlson’s Racism, Homophobia, Xenophobia Revealed in Audio Clips

Two years later, he added, “I don’t know how Black he is, but I’m sure he’s a good basketball player — he says he is, anyway.”

Former First Lady Michelle Obama didn’t escape Carlson’s diatribe either on the radio show in 2008. Carlson said Michelle was “chicken-headed” at times and that she needed to “whiten up a little bit.” Carlson also said that Michelle “got ghetto and started snapping her neck. I’m like, that’s a real sister right there.”

Also in 2008, Carlson said that efforts to increase diversity in radio programming were “worse than Jim Crow” and that white men should be credited for creating civilization. (They didn’t. They really didn’t.)

Carlson also went after the cultures and people of the Middle East.

“Iraq is a crappy place filled with a bunch of, you know, semiliterate primitive monkeys — that’s why it wasn’t worth invading,” Carlson said in 2008. He also said the war there could turn around “if, somehow, the Iraqis decided to behave like human beings” and he had “zero sympathy” for Iraqis because they “don’t use toilet paper or forks.”

In 2009, Carlson said he believed that Afghanistan is “never going to be a civilized country because the people aren’t civilized.”

Back in 2006, the audio shows Carlson fantasizing about a presidential candidate who would come out against “lunatic Muslims behaving like animals.”

“If there were a Democrat to come out in the 2008 election and say, ‘You know what the problem is? It’s Islamic extremism. It’s not terror, it’s not some, you know, indefinable threat out there. It’s these lunatic Muslims who are behaving like animals, and I’m going to kill as many of them as I can if you elect me.’ If a Democrat were to say that, he would be elected king, OK?”

I have long believed that the sole reason Tucker Carlson became relevant in public discourse again after being shamed into obscurity by some New York stand up comedian was that FOX believed he was less of an image liability than Bill O'Reilly.

I suspect FOX is definitely experiencing some buyers remorse on this decision, college proclivities notwithstanding.

Because it isn't old. It shows a likely long pattern of endorsing White male Christians who kill.

Bullshit. If you weren't a clueless asshole as a kid you've never truly been alive and explored your boundaries. Going too far and being slapped down by adults is an important part of becoming a mature adult.

People who live their entire lives as harmless sheep are the truly dangerous ones. Because they never connect with their darkness. So it will subconsciously rule them. Staying a neutered sheep is increasingly encouraged in our culture. It's a very bad development imho.

We're becoming an increasingly dishonest culture.

Going too far and being slapped down by adults is an important part of becoming a mature adult.

No.

Learning from that and changing is part of becoming an adult.

Carlson does have a great familiarity with racist code and jargon.

If you talk about a black person talk about athletic skills too.

Since Carlson never had any.

Bullshit. If you weren't a clueless asshole as a kid you've never truly been alive and explored your boundaries. Going too far and being slapped down by adults is an important part of becoming a mature adult.

People who live their entire lives as harmless sheep are the truly dangerous ones. Because they never connect with their darkness. So it will subconsciously rule them. Staying a neutered sheep is increasingly encouraged in our culture. It's a very bad development imho.

We're becoming an increasingly dishonest culture.

Which adults slapped him down for the yearbook when he was 22? You? Evidence? How did that make him change? Evidence?

Back
Top Bottom