• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tucker Carlson's College Yearbook Says He Belonged to Club for Harvey Milk's Murderer

Because it isn't old. It shows a likely long pattern of endorsing White male Christians who kill.

Bullshit. If you weren't a clueless asshole as a kid you've never truly been alive and explored your boundaries. Going too far and being slapped down by adults is an important part of becoming a mature adult.
I strongly suspect that this is another example of someone outside the USA not having a clue about what and who is being discussed One can explore one's boundaries without being an outright and unrepentant bigot.

Tucker Carlson's college yearbook reveals he belonged to club for Harvey Milk's murderer, also mentions controversial senator | TheHill
notes
Travis Akers on Twitter: "Perhaps this is the story that @TuckerCarlson was trying to get ahead of. In his college yearbook, he listed himself as a member of the "Dan White Society."

Dan White was the man who murdered Harvey Milk. (link)" / Twitter

and
Tucker Carlson's College Yearbook Says He Belonged to Club for Harvey Milk's Murderer
"He also referenced the Jesse Helms Foundation, named for the staunchly anti-gay conservative senator"

That site mentioned
The Trinity Ivy, 1991 - The Trinity Ivy 1991.pdf
PDF page 186 shows the entry for TC:

"Carlson, Tucker S.M., 3051 N St. N.W., Washington D.C. 20007, History; Christian Fellowship 1 2 3 4, Jesse Helms Foundation, Dan White Society."
A representative for Trinity College confirmed the veracity of the yearbook entry to TheWrap after a screenshot of it went viral on Twitter. The spokesperson pointed to a digitized version of the yearbook, which features the entry on page 186, and added that the so-called “society” didn’t seem to exist at the school and was only mentioned in Carlson’s entry. A review of the yearbook by TheWrap found no other mentions of a “Dan White Society.”

“While I cannot speak to the yearbook process in 1991, current practice is that only a student’s name, home state and/or country, and the student’s major are listed with their photos,” the Trinity College representative said when asked whether Carlson submitted the identifier himself.
Was this alleged Dan White Society anything more than "own the libs" right-wing dudebro trolling?

However, The Jesse Helms Center | Wingate, NC is real. It describes itself as “a non-profit, non-political foundation which provides quality educational lectures, training schools and events focused on the principles of our founding fathers, traditional American values and the causes which United States Senator Jesse Helms championed throughout his 30-year career.”

Jesse Helms, R-NC-SEN, was a hard-boiled right-winger, opposed to homosexuality, abortion, and civil-rights efforts.

More:
On Tuesday night, Carlson accused The Washington Post’s owner, Jeff Bezos, of conducting “opposition research” and said the Post’s media columnist, Erik Wemple, was pulling out his old college yearbook to see if Carlson had “done anything naughty at the age of 19.”

What is clear, however, is that Carlson believes inappropriate old yearbook content is fair game for criticism: In 2020, he called Virginia Governor Ralph Northam “Governor Klan Robes Blackface,” referring to a previously uncovered set of yearbook photos showing the then-student in a Ku Klux Klan costume and blackface.

Political redemption is possible. A good case is Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black. He went from wearing white robes and scaring black people to wearing black robes and scaring white people.

But Tucker Carlson hasn't shown much evidence of that.

I also like to chuckle over what he majored in: history. That is the sort of thing that many right-wingers like to snicker is a useless degree.

More:
On Tuesday night, Carlson accused The Washington Post’s owner, Jeff Bezos, of conducting “opposition research” and said the Post’s media columnist, Erik Wemple, was pulling out his old college yearbook to see if Carlson had “done anything naughty at the age of 19.”

What is clear, however, is that Carlson believes inappropriate old yearbook content is fair game for criticism: In 2020, he called Virginia Governor Ralph Northam “Governor Klan Robes Blackface,” referring to a previously uncovered set of yearbook photos showing the then-student in a Ku Klux Klan costume and blackface.

Political redemption is possible. A good case is Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black. He went from wearing white robes and scaring black people to wearing black robes and scaring white people.

I also like to chuckle over what he majored in: history. That is the sort of thing that many right-wingers like to snicker is a useless degree.

It's also a liberal arts college in New England he attended and he was born in San Francisco. He's kind of self-hating.

Trigger warning for psycho-analysis...

After Tucker being born and raised several years in liberal SF, his mother up and left the family to lead a "Bohemian" life-style. His father eventually remarried a wealthy Swanson foods heiress. Tucker chose to take on a middle name of Swanson to recognize that. His anger at his mother and her replacement by an adopted heiress is why he hates gays, liberals, and finds religious authoritarian masculinism comforting. But he was also super spoiled with a private Swiss education and constant misbehaving and promoting hatred.

More:

It's also a liberal arts college in New England he attended and he was born in San Francisco. He's kind of self-hating.

After Tucker being born and raised several years in liberal SF, his mother up and left the family to lead a "Bohemian" life-style. His father eventually remarried a wealthy Swanson foods heiress. Tucker chose to take on a middle name of Swanson to recognize that. His anger at his mother and her replacement by an adopted heiress is why he hates gays, liberals, and finds religious authoritarian masculinism comforting. But he was also super spoiled with a private Swiss education and constant misbehaving and promoting hatred.

So are we setting up a pool on how long before we find him in bed with a dead girl or a live boy?

I'm aware of him and the idiotic shit is spews. As far as I'm concerned this is what conservatism often is. It's boys refusing to grow up and see that life isn't always straight forward. Not always. There are clever conservatives. But generally, they most often are buffoons with a stupidly simple world view.

But if we slam Tucker Carlson we should do it for things he has said as an adult. Not as a teenager. I think ten years is a good rule of thumb. Anything you said and did ten years ago can't be used to slander your character today.

I hate the current development where people dig up stuff from the past to try to ruin people's careers now. We have to allow people the opportunity to grow and change. I don't think we do that. Not enough.
This is evidence that he hasn't grown or changed, much like that asshole Steven Miller. This evidence provides a narrative that they have been, are, and will continue to be unabashed assholes.

Ok, fine. But it's something he did a very long time ago. So I don't think it's of any consequence.

An ugly tattoo you did when you were 18 is always cooler than a beautiful tattoo you get at 40.

He was 22, not 18.

For most people, there is a lot of maturation and emotional growth that happens between 18 and 22 and between 22 and your early 50's which is how old Carlson is at present. But from what I can see, there was no maturation between 18 and 22 or for that matter, from probably 14 and 22 and worse, from 14 to present. He even seems to have the same taste in girls.

Yeah, I wrote girls because I read the news.

It true that there is no shortage of execrable behavior from Tucker Carlson as an adult.

My impressions

People most often grow as they get older. But then some can also regress. There have been people who were fine, then 9/11 made them xenophobic, paranoid. There are people who talk of loved ones who were great people, but then started watching FOX News and became unrecognizable. More recently are the accounts of people who feel they lost family members to Qanon conspiracies.

The yearbook entry shows that he pretty much never changed. He hasn’t been led down a dark path by misinformation, or radicalized by some events (unless you are counting his mother leaving when he was a kid), or even simply saying what he is paid to say. That he knew the name of Milk’s assassin would indicate to me that he was politically aware at the time and not just a stupid kid. (I had never heard of Milk until the movie came out). He has always been an asshole and is unlikely to change.

My impressions

People most often grow as they get older. But then some can also regress. There have been people who were fine, then 9/11 made them xenophobic, paranoid. There are people who talk of loved ones who were great people, but then started watching FOX News and became unrecognizable. More recently are the accounts of people who feel they lost family members to Qanon conspiracies.

The yearbook entry shows that he pretty much never changed. He hasn’t been led down a dark path by misinformation, or radicalized by some events (unless you are counting his mother leaving when he was a kid), or even simply saying what he is paid to say. That he knew the name of Milk’s assassin would indicate to me that he was politically aware at the time and not just a stupid kid. (I had never heard of Milk until the movie came out). He has always been an asshole and is unlikely to change.

I don't think his mother leaving what what turned Carlson bad. I'm not even sure I trust that story. But suppose she did leave because she couldn't stand the life she was leading with Carlson's father. She may not have had the choice to take her son with her. Or may have felt that she would be unable to provide for him. Carlson had every opportunity to learn about the world. He chose...not to.

So are we setting up a pool on how long before we find him in bed with a dead girl or a live boy?

Or maybe in bed with Hitler's preserved skull....or on an end table, like Kylo Ren did with Darth Vader's helmet. Kidding aside, there's plausibly something there. Look at the bizarre interviews with Matt Gaetz where Gaetz is all but smilingly threatening to throw him under the bus for good defensive coverage. On air saying, "Remember that time, you, my girlfriend, me, [/i]and your wife[/i]..." is essentially code for "I got your number, defend and praise me mother f-er." I don't think it's about the sexual harassment accusations either, .... I mean, not exactly, the sexual harassment indicated he was trying to get a woman on his show to meet up for an affair and it's probably part of a pattern of behavior of meetups Gaetz is aware of, possibly even helps to supply since they are both conservative DC elites. Someday, we'll get the total picture.

I don't think Tucker Carlson is a sex pest. As I've mentioned, he got hired on FOX because he specifically doesn't rub one out during phone conversations. I think it's far more likely there is/will be a leaked recording of him going full Richard Spencer or Lee Atwater.

I don't think Tucker Carlson is a sex pest. As I've mentioned, he got hired on FOX because he specifically doesn't rub one out during phone conversations. I think it's far more likely there is/will be a leaked recording of him going full Richard Spencer or Lee Atwater.

They'll give him a whole extra hour of air time if that happens and you know it.

Because it isn't old. It shows a likely long pattern of endorsing White male Christians who kill.

Bullshit. If you weren't a clueless asshole as a kid you've never truly been alive and explored your boundaries. Going too far and being slapped down by adults is an important part of becoming a mature adult.

People who live their entire lives as harmless sheep are the truly dangerous ones. Because they never connect with their darkness. So it will subconsciously rule them. Staying a neutered sheep is increasingly encouraged in our culture. It's a very bad development imho.

We're becoming an increasingly dishonest culture.

Which adults slapped him down for the yearbook when he was 22? You? Evidence? How did that make him change? Evidence?

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. It doesn't matter. My point is that his behaviour as a teenager doesn't mean that he'll be a terrible adult. In this case he was. But it proves nothing. Thinking that it does it dangerous.

It's a horrible moral position. Ie if you ever did anything immoral at any point in your life, you are for ever doomed to be an awful person and everybody you meet should think of you as broken. It gives no space for redemption. It gives no space for personal growth and change. It means that a person who ever did anything morally questionable has zero incentive to better themselves.

Which adults slapped him down for the yearbook when he was 22? You? Evidence? How did that make him change? Evidence?

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. It doesn't matter. My point is that his behaviour as a teenager doesn't mean that he'll be a terrible adult. In this case he was. But it proves nothing. Thinking that it does it dangerous.

It's a horrible moral position. Ie if you ever did anything immoral at any point in your life, you are for ever doomed to be an awful person and everybody you meet should think of you as broken. It gives no space for redemption. It gives no space for personal growth and change. It means that a person who ever did anything morally questionable has zero incentive to better themselves.
he's a piece of shit blowhard.

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. It doesn't matter. My point is that his behaviour as a teenager ...

*FULL STOP* Han var 22 år, inte tonåring.

...doesn't mean that he'll be a terrible adult. In this case he was. But it proves nothing. Thinking that it does it dangerous.

I agree with you and I agreed with you several times now. I even gave examples of children who didn't grow up terrible.

I've done immoral things, even in my adult life, but it's not so much about immoral things as it is the lies, racist danger, covering for very bad people, homophobia, and his style of plausible deniability at issue here. He doesn't seem to be working on anything and seems to be even getting worse.

I've done immoral things, even in my adult life, but it's not so much about immoral things as it is the lies, racist danger, covering for very bad people, homophobia, and his style of plausible deniability at issue here. He doesn't seem to be working on anything and seems to be even getting worse.

The man has done plenty of horrendous things in recent memory. It comes across as desperate to go back decades to go looking for stuff. Playing up his yearbook transgressions plays down the stuff he does now IMHO.

The man has done plenty of horrendous things in recent memory. It comes across as desperate to go back decades to go looking for stuff. Playing up his yearbook transgressions plays down the stuff he does now IMHO.

If someone exhibits a pattern of behaviour than spans decades, that's worth pointing out as well. One does not trivialise the other. This yearbook example did not diminish the amount of condemnation Carlson received when he asked his viewers to harass people who wear masks for example. What the OP shows is that Tucker Carlson has consistently been a cunt since last century and will most likely never change. That is meaningful and relevant in the current climate.

I've never listened to a word that Tucker Carlson has said. I don't even know what his voice sounds like and I don't intend to change that.

However, there must be a lot of people out there who listen to this guy and do not think he is as deplorable as his critics do. I doubt that any of them give a shit what his yearbook says or what he did in college, and if they do, they are probably fine with it, or glad that it has caused offence.

If someone exhibits a pattern of behaviour than spans decades, that's worth pointing out as well. One does not trivialise the other. This yearbook example did not diminish the amount of condemnation Carlson received when he asked his viewers to harass people who wear masks for example. What the OP shows is that Tucker Carlson has consistently been a cunt since last century and will most likely never change. That is meaningful and relevant in the current climate.

Ok. We just see this differently.

Ok. We just see this differently.

When two people see things differently, and one sees a square and the other sees a circle, one is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom