• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter Finally Adds a Fact Checking Warning Label to Trump Tweets

Now, Trump's complaining that Twitter is policing lies, but never said shit about Obama saying you can keep your doctor.
Which wasn't a tweet...
And i doubt was a lie, just unfounded optimism...
And if it was a lie, wasn't his 18,000th lie...

[pedantry]It wasn’t a lie, it was (yet again) something deliberately misconstrued. The context was in response to Republican accusations that with a government run health care system, it would be the government that would determine which doctor you had to go to. Obama’s response was to say that’s not correct, the government will not be telling you which doctor you had to go to. Hence, if you like the doctor you are currently seeing you can keep that doctor.

Plain and simple.[/pedantry]

I was thinking of posting a titled version of that link, but that link title is ... rather defamatory.

Twitter hides Donald Trump tweet for 'glorifying violence' | Twitter | The Guardian
Warning on ‘when looting starts, shooting starts’ post risks further escalation of row between firm and president
Trump is bellyaching about warnings attached to posts. He seems so whiny, complaining about the tiniest things.

"Seems"? And to him, of course, it's not tiny at all. It is the primary way he rose to power and the key to him having any kind of chance of re-election (absent all of the many ways he will be cheating, of course). This ties in directly to the ongoing and now firmly unified Russian/Trumpian information warfare that has now become an embedded propaganda machine that no one is paying any attention.

Too much to go into itt and it's all detailed in my Russia Influence Measured thread. The tl;dr version is that strong-tie online communities--such as Trump's followers on Twitter--all impact their second-tier real life and online friends/acquaintances. Sort of like how normal social media operates, only because of the fanatical nature of these particular people translating into not JUST interacting online (i.e., Trump's "rallies" and whatever the fuck passes for KKK meetings these days, etc), the online influence is magnified and spread more effectively.

To the point where it can actually result in changes to actual votes cast as established in a 2010 study based on just 61 million Facebook users, who were not aware they were the subject of a study. Again, all of this is detailed and sourced in my thread.

That study showed that just one "organic" post (meaning no one in the study knew its origin) could actually result in some 340,000 votes from people that otherwise would not have voted were it not for the influence of their "strong tie" online/offline network.

This is from the summary of the study:

Voter mobilization experiments 26–28 have shown that most methods of contacting potential voters have small effects (if any) on turnout rates, ranging from 1% to 10%. However, the ability to reach large populations online means that even small effects could yield behaviour changes for millions of people. Furthermore, as many elections are competitive, these changes could affect electoral outcomes. For example, in the 2000 US presidential election, George Bush beat Al Gore in Florida by 537 votes (less than 0.01% of votes cast in Florida).
Had Gore won Florida, he would have won the election.

To test the hypothesis that political behaviour can spread through an online social network, we conducted a randomized controlled trial
with all users of at least 18 years of age in the United States who accessed the Facebook website on 2 November 2010, the day of the US congressional elections. Users were randomly assigned to a ‘social message’ group, an ‘informational message’ group or a control group.
The social message group (n 5 60,055,176) was shown a statement at the top of their ‘News Feed’. This message encouraged the user to vote, provided a link to find local polling places, showed a clickable button reading ‘I Voted’, showed a counter indicating how many other Facebook users had previously reported voting, and displayed up to six small randomly selected ‘profile pictures’ of the user’s Facebook friends who had already clicked the I Voted button (Fig. 1). The informational message group (n 5 611,044) was shown the message, poll information, counter and button, but they were not shown any faces of friends. The control group (n 5 613,096) did not receive any message at the top of their News Feed.
We also found an effect in the validated vote sample. For each close friend who received the social message, a user was 0.224% (null 95% CI –0.181% to 0.174%) more likely to vote than they would have been had their close friend received no message. Similarly, for information seeking behaviour we found that for each close friend who received the social message, a user was 0.012% (null 95% CI –0.012% to 0.012%) more likely to click the link to find their polling place than they would have been had their close friends received no message. In both cases there was no evidence that other friends had an effect (see Supplementary Information). Thus, ordinary Facebook friends may affect online expressive behaviour, but they do not seem to affect private or real-world political behaviours. In contrast, close friends seem to have influenced all three.
Our results suggest that the Facebook social message increased turnout directly by about 60,000 voters and indirectly through social contagion by another 280,000 voters, for a total of 340,000 additional votes. That represents about 0.14% of the voting age population of about 236 million in 2010. However, this estimate does not include the effect of the treatment on Facebook users who were registered to vote but who we could not match because of nicknames, typographical errors, and so on. It would be complex to estimate the number of users on Facebook who are in the voter record but unmatchable, and it is not clear whether treatment effects would be of the same magnitude for these individuals, so we restrict our estimate to the matched group that we were able to sample and observe. This means it is possible that more of the 0.60% growth in turnout between 2006 and 2010 might have been caused by a single message on
Facebook.
Beyond the direct effects of online mobilization, we show the importance of social influence for effecting behaviour change. Our validation
study shows that close friends exerted about four times more influence on the total number of validated voters mobilized than the message itself.

So, yeah, this isn't tiny at all to Trump. This is a direct assault on his primary method of maintaining and mobilizing his only base. This is identical to taking away Hitler's larynx, or having huge signs up behind Hitler whenever he spoke that read something like, "What he is saying is not correct. These are all lies and deliberate falsehoods."

Iow, Trump needs to be seen as supreme, but now he's subordinate to Twitter, which makes him equal to anyone else on Twitter.

Last edited:
The Trump-Twitter fight ropes in the rest of Silicon Valley - POLITICO
Twitter's decision to fact-check President Donald Trump's tweets has vaulted Silicon Valley's biggest players into a political fight with Washington when they least wanted it.

The deepening feud between the president and his go-to social media platform is forcing companies like Facebook and Google to gird for a lobbying battle to defend the legal protections that underpin their lucrative business models, sooner and much more publicly than they had originally expected. Those preparations accelerated this week, even as Facebook made it clear to Trump that it doesn't share Twitter's view of how online platforms should handle political speech.

Now the industry has no choice but to wade into an increasingly partisan debate over free expression, in a preelection season already torn by tensions surrounding the pandemic, mass unemployment and racial unrest.

As Trump and Twitter sparred this week, NetChoice — whose members include Facebook, Twitter, Google and scores of other big-name online companies — rushed into an effort to convince the American public that Trump is wrong about an obscure provision of a quarter-century-old communications law.

The Trump-Twitter fight ropes in the rest of Silicon Valley - POLITICO
Twitter's decision to fact-check President Donald Trump's tweets has vaulted Silicon Valley's biggest players into a political fight with Washington when they least wanted it.

The deepening feud between the president and his go-to social media platform is forcing companies like Facebook and Google to gird for a lobbying battle to defend the legal protections that underpin their lucrative business models, sooner and much more publicly than they had originally expected. Those preparations accelerated this week, even as Facebook made it clear to Trump that it doesn't share Twitter's view of how online platforms should handle political speech.

Now the industry has no choice but to wade into an increasingly partisan debate over free expression, in a preelection season already torn by tensions surrounding the pandemic, mass unemployment and racial unrest.

As Trump and Twitter sparred this week, NetChoice — whose members include Facebook, Twitter, Google and scores of other big-name online companies — rushed into an effort to convince the American public that Trump is wrong about an obscure provision of a quarter-century-old communications law.

I hope this flares up. BIGLY.
I don't see how the Mutherzucker can keep a straight face with his "not the arbiter of truth" bullshit for much longer.
The obvious facts are:

1) Facebook makes billions from allowing and even encouraging people, trolls and 'bots to sell lies.
2) Fact checking would be expensive, even if lies weren't a major component of his stock in trade.

So yeah - he doesn't to stop letting his platform be used to sell lies, no matter what the cost to the Country.

What a sniveling-little-rat-bastard full-of-shit-fuck-face-coward. To admit to a need for fact checking would be to admit his "platform" is still being used for nefarious purposes. It's not like it's a public service he's providing for the good of all mankind.

So, you want and trust Zuckerberg, the fuck-face-coward, to vet content for you?

Why do you regard yourself as incapable of judgment?

So, you want and trust Zuckerberg, the fuck-face-coward, to vet content for you?

I don't want that . An objective standard would be good though.

It's not myself I worry about. It's this nice lady in Alabama who was posting bitterly this morning about the horrible damage that Obama did to the economy, the scandals, the erosion of the rule of law (the only item in her entire screed that had a shred of fact to it) and speaking adoringly of wonderful upholding of the Constitution by the high-performing Trump Administration.... and the millions of other victims of the propaganda and lies being amplified and distributed by FB.

I don't want that . An objective standard would be good though.

What does that mean? I'm not trying to be funny, I mean: how are you going to get fact-checkers to some kind of 'objective standard'? Who hires the fact checkers? Who determines that they are doing a good job? Facebook? You? Who writes the policy on what an 'objective standard' is?

Is this standard only for speech regarded as political, or is it all speech on Facebook? When my brother posts a Catholic meme on Facebook, who is going to "vet" this content?

It's not myself I worry about. <snipped>

Somehow, when people demand censorship or content "vetting", it never is themselves they are worried about, is it? You are confident in your own judgment, it's the unwashed masses who need it. You are perfectly capable of discerning lies from the truth, it's always someone else who isn't capable.

What a sniveling-little-rat-bastard full-of-shit-fuck-face-coward. To admit to a need for fact checking would be to admit his "platform" is still being used for nefarious purposes. It's not like it's a public service he's providing for the good of all mankind.

No. But I want Facebook to vet users to ensure they are whom they claim to be.

What does that mean? I'm not trying to be funny, I mean: how are you going to get fact-checkers to some kind of 'objective standard'? Who hires the fact checkers? Who determines that they are doing a good job? Facebook? You? Who writes the policy on what an 'objective standard' is?

Including "paid for" info is a decent drop in the bucket. A consensus of fact-checkers might be useful where there is such a consensus.

When my brother posts a Catholic meme on Facebook, who is going to "vet" this content?

The pope of course.

Somehow, when people demand censorship or content "vetting", it never is themselves they are worried about, is it?

Construing any attempt to elevate the factual and expose deceit as "censorship" is fatuous.
Facts are facts whether you believe them or not. Lies are lies whether you believe them or not.
There is plenty of gray area between where the dishonest and the heavily agenda-laden may reside, but blatant lies should be labeled as such when possible. Not expunged, just labeled as such.
Censorship would be disallowing lies in the first place, or muzzling those who would correctly expose lies as such.

FYI, Meta, FB ALREADY censors content they don't like. It just so happens that they LIKE the lies Russian trolls and 'bots and white nationalist hate-speech and ANYONE ELSE WITH BILLIONS TO SPEND ON ADS. It "stimulates discussion" (Read: elevates consumer engagement)
It's just another facet of the "money-speech" meme of the right.

FYI, Meta, FB ALREADY censors content they don't like. It just so happens that they LIKE the lies Russian trolls and 'bots and white nationalist hate-speech and ANYONE ELSE WITH BILLIONS TO SPEND ON ADS. It "stimulates discussion" (Read: elevates consumer engagement)

A FB friend had his sharing privileges suspended after sharing three videos of cops harassing and abusing protestors.

There is plenty of gray area between where the dishonest and the heavily agenda-laden may reside, but blatant lies should be labeled as such when possible. Not expunged, just labeled as such.

What's an example of a blatant lie that you've seen in your Facebook feed, and would Facebook appending the words 'blatant lie' around it have helped you to recognise it as a blatant lie?

Or, do you have no trouble discerning blatant lies from the truth, and therefore Facebook's ministry of truth would be for the benefit of the other people who are incapable of telling blatant lies from the truth?

Censorship would be disallowing lies in the first place, or muzzling those who would correctly expose lies as such.

And Twitter bans people for life for "misgendering". What makes you think people should value the heavy-handed policing of social media companies?

So the discussion has come to the point where the argument from some is that because we can't do something perfectly we can't do anything at all. Time to scrap our constitution, bill of rights, etc. because none of that shit is perfect either.

So the discussion has come to the point where the argument from some is that because we can't do something perfectly we can't do anything at all. Time to scrap our constitution, bill of rights, etc. because none of that shit is perfect either.

This precisely what Democrats DO, and what one should expect on a message board rife with them. They seek perfect representation of their particular form of perfection and cannibalize that which fails to rise to the ultimate idealist level, even if meets 50% of the goal.
Biden's campaign manager summed it up pretty well when she said that you shouldn't compare something to the All Mighty, but instead to the AllTernative.

I don't know, but more importantly, why do you want hot pokers shoved up your ass while you stuff strawmen?

Why haven't you stopped fucking your dog?

Any more idiotic fallacies you want to shit out or are you done?

This precisely what Democrats DO... seek perfect representation of their particular form of perfection ....
Biden's campaign manager summed it up pretty well when she said that you shouldn't compare something to the All Mighty, but instead to the AllTernative.

Biden's campaign manage isn't a Democrat? Who knew?

Somehow, when people demand censorship or content "vetting", it never is themselves they are worried about, is it? You are confident in your own judgment, it's the unwashed masses who need it. You are perfectly capable of discerning lies from the truth, it's always someone else who isn't capable.

Well, let's see. If only we had some sort of referendum where everyone (of a certain age) gets to, I don't know, cast some sort of ballot for a person that might in turn help us determine precisely such capabilities and then after that some sort of ongoing polling of representative samples of those people to see how that goes over time in relation to the number of lies the person they originally voted for subsequently tell to judge correlation. Like an "approval" rating of some sort. Then we could compare the approval rating by, say, party affiliation against the number of lies and other deliberately deceitful statements and claims made by their preferred person as a general guideline to help estimate the ongoing impact of those lies.

Of course, it does operate under the assumption that such people are generally intelligent enough to understand that such a person telling such falsehoods is a bad thing and that they are rightfully supposed to equate a lie or deceitful comment by such a person as being detrimental, so the fact that such a person did already tell lie after lie after lie and made so many deliberately misleading and deceitful comments before such a "vote" took place is problematic to this end.

Because, one would think--as you apparently do--that everyone can in fact tell a blatant lie without it needing to be pointed out to them by the medium being used to spread those lies. But at the same time we have millions who evidently either couldn't figure out for themselves that their preferred candidate was in fact telling deliberate falsehoods, or they could and they just didn't care.

So, again, it would seem logical that polling those people to see their reactions over time would be helpful and lo and behold, we do actually find some correlation between approval ratings in those polls and how many once loyal are now not so much. Not among a core 10-15%, of course, as that's just a typical fanatic devotion of people that are simply too stupid or too indifferent to care, so they can easily be written off as irrelevant pieces of shit that they so clearly are.

I mean, along with being able to tell blatant lies, we can also tell who among us are irrelevant pieces of shit, right? There's some low hanging fruit for you.

But for the other 85-90% that originally supported someone who pretty much ONLY tells blatant lies and deliberately deceitful bullshit, questions remain as to why in the world THEY are not intelligent enough to abandon a serial liar whose tweets are actually inciting violence and causing deaths and shifting blame and the like.

And we should also factor in WHY such a person is objecting so strenuously to being fact checked--along with why they even started and insisted on continuing to use a platform that previously had only served for comedians, c-list celebrities and obese basement dwellers to fart out irrelevant musings--in the first place. If it's really no big deal to include a fact check--since we are ALL fully capable and equally intelligent and can easily discern all of the wheat from the chaff--then that cuts both ways and no one should give a tiny shit about an independent confirmation provided by the platform.

There is the old lady doth protest too much syndrome going on here, so that's even more revealing. I have never been in a situation where I would be upset by anyone on this board, for example, saying: "I fact checked his claims and concur with his findings." Or, for that matter, "I fact checked his claims and found the following issues with his findings."

But then I'm not a demonstrably unbalanced, sociopathic serial killer with tremendous power that some 60 million people voted for and about 40 million continue to inexplicably give a pass to in spite of all of the blatant lies I keep telling them.

So, to that flipside, since there is no harm in Twitter pointing out the obvious (the "blatant"), and no liar can object to their lies being pointed out, and the 60 million people who voted for Trump surely already also see the blatant lies and don't care that he's blatantly lying to them, then there is no harm whatsoever in Twitter doing whatever the fuck they want to in regard to his Tweets.

Though they should have simply banned his ass the first time he incited violence or hatred or racism or encouraged people to inject disinfectants and promoted false science and the like, so they've got a LOT of catching up to do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom