• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter Finally Adds a Fact Checking Warning Label to Trump Tweets

Koyaanisqatsi

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Spiritual atheist
Just when we couldn't sink lower in the world, the President of the United States is now answerable to Twitter. What a twat.

Twitter adds a warning label fact-checking Trump’s false voting claims:

On the heels of a furor over his tweets accusing MSNBC host Joe Scarborough of murder, Twitter has quietly begun to fact-check the president.

A new label prompting Twitter users to “Get the facts about mail-in ballots” appeared on a series of tweets in which the president baselessly claimed ballots received through mail-in voting methods are “fraudulent.”

They're trying to make it seem like it's just a new feature in general, but of course it's not:

In a statement to TechCrunch, a Twitter spokesperson said the pair of tweets from the president “contain potentially misleading information about voting processes and have been labeled to provide additional context around mail-in ballots.”

“This decision is in line with the approach we shared earlier this month,” the spokesperson said, linking to the company’s recent blog post on its misinformation policies.

From that post:

In serving the public conversation, our goal is to make it easy to find credible information on Twitter and to limit the spread of potentially harmful and misleading content. Starting today, we’re introducing new labels and warning messages that will provide additional context and information on some Tweets containing disputed or misleading information related to COVID-19.

Well, gee...who has been tweeting disputed or misleading information related to COVID-19....? :consternation1:

I actually don’t think that it is sinking to expect the POTUS to
adhere to the terms of use of any business or service they make use of.

Any sinking has been that Trump was elected and his enablers refused to convict him on thieves articles of impeachment brought before them and indeed, did their best to conspire with Trump to obstruct Justice. For their own political gain.

I like this approach!

While any other user would no doubt have long since been banned I think Twitter is right to keep allowing him access despite his garbage. I find this a good compromise, even better would be putting a short delay on his tweets for a human to review them before they go out and decide if they need rebuttal pages also.

I like this approach!

While any other user would no doubt have long since been banned I think Twitter is right to keep allowing him access despite his garbage. I find this a good compromise, even better would be putting a short delay on his tweets for a human to review them before they go out and decide if they need rebuttal pages also.

The default should be a "Pants on Fire" gif, and it should be up to the Trumpsters to prove him right if they can.

You just fucking knew this would happen said:
@Twitter
is now interfering in the 2020 Presidential Election. They are saying my statement on Mail-In Ballots, which will lead to massive corruption and fraud, is incorrect, based on fact-checking by Fake News CNN and the Amazon Washington Post....

....Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!

"I'm going to post on Twitter (a platform that I consistently and routinely violate their terms and conditions without consequence) on how they are stifling free speech!"

I guess the take home from this is for Real Free Speech(tm) to happen, it requires the approval of the President first.

Trump threatens to ‘close down’ social media companies if they don’t stop fact-checking his tweets

President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened to “close down” social media companies such as Facebook and Twitter if they didn’t stop fact-checking his tweets about mail-in voting.

“Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices,” the president wrote on Twitter. “We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.”

Trump’s angry tirade was sparked when Twitter added a link at the end of one of the president’s tweets that offered users additional facts about mail-in voting, which the president has falsely claimed is rife with fraud.

Stifling free speech? Twitter... not a Government run company.

Trump has a fucking press bureau to get out any information he wants.

Trump threatens to ‘close down’ social media companies if they don’t stop fact-checking his tweets

President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened to “close down” social media companies such as Facebook and Twitter if they didn’t stop fact-checking his tweets about mail-in voting.

“Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices,” the president wrote on Twitter. “We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.”

I really never thought I'd live to see the day where any person seeking or in power in this country would non-ironically argue Orwell's 1984 as their utopian ideal. Bits and pieces here and there, sure, but to just straight-up embrace the entire ideology behind it as a full-force ego justification is truly astonishing. And the fact that it worked on over 60 million Americans? Unfucking believable.

That historians will ever have to even mention Trump's occupation, let alone unravel it like it was real and not just a completely bizarre death-rattle of everything wrong with America personified--driven by the unholy and deeply ironic combination of American Nazis and Russian puppetry for a last gasp shitshow of transparent "white supremacy" desperation--is endlessly mind boggling.

It's like Programmed Cell Death, or the myth of Lemmings lining up in step to jump off the cliff, only these fucking morons are gleefully leaping to pointless deaths actually thinking they're part of something grand and glorious. They are literally eating Trump's shit every single day and have firmly convinced themselves that it's the finest filet mignon with every bite.

At this point, the lines are drawn, and very, very few of his sheeple are likely to desert his garbage barge. But I think it's hysterical to see him rant and roll on the floor, kicking the walls and screeching threats. For my own amusement, I wish there was a reporter who would ask the following question at the next press briefing:
"Mr. President, in 2016, Stormy Daniels received $130,000 from you, and Karen McDougal received $150,000 from the National Enquirer, in both cases so both women would not reveal that you raw-dogged 'em adulterously. Does your campaign envision the need for any hush money in this election cycle?"
(Reword the 'raw-dogged 'em' and it's a fair question that Americans have a right to know about their "leader". And just picture the colors Trump's big mug would turn.)

Trump's Twitter attacks on Joe Scarborough have prompted this.:

Who Is Carolyn Gombell? Why ‘Justice for Carolyn’ Is Trending on Twitter

he hashtag “Justice for Carolyn” started trending on Twitter after God, one of the most popular parody accounts on the social media website, tweeted out out the following message to its 6.1 million followers:

Donald Trump killed his personal assistant, Carolyn Gombell, in October 2000. He strangled her because he’d gotten her pregnant and was threatening to tell the press. Then he bribed NYPD Police Chief Bernie [Kerik] to cover it up. IT’S TIME TO INVESTIGATE. #JusticeForCarolyn.

A string of subsequent tweets asserted a number of “facts” to support the claim:

FACT: Carolyn Gombell’s mother has AN AUDIO RECORDING of her daughter the night before she was killed saying, ‘If something happens to me it was Donald.’

FACT: Forensics at first tentatively matched the residual thumbprints found on Carolyn’s neck as ‘matching’ Trump’s own (small) hands, but that finding was later amended and officially ruled ‘inconclusive.’

FACT: In his 2009 autobiography ‘One Good Cop,’ Kerik referred to ‘a certain well-known real-estate magnate’ for whom he had ‘made certain inconvenient facts disappear’ (page 243).

By the way, it’s also interesting that Carolyn’s New York roommate Michelle White ‘committed suicide’ by jumping in front of a subway train NOT TWO WEEKS LATER.

More in the link.

Trump's Twitter attacks on Joe Scarborough have prompted this.:

Who Is Carolyn Gombell? Why ‘Justice for Carolyn’ Is Trending on Twitter

he hashtag “Justice for Carolyn” started trending on Twitter after God, one of the most popular parody accounts on the social media website, tweeted out out the following message to its 6.1 million followers:

Donald Trump killed his personal assistant, Carolyn Gombell, in October 2000. He strangled her because he’d gotten her pregnant and was threatening to tell the press. Then he bribed NYPD Police Chief Bernie [Kerik] to cover it up. IT’S TIME TO INVESTIGATE. #JusticeForCarolyn.

A string of subsequent tweets asserted a number of “facts” to support the claim:

FACT: Carolyn Gombell’s mother has AN AUDIO RECORDING of her daughter the night before she was killed saying, ‘If something happens to me it was Donald.’

FACT: Forensics at first tentatively matched the residual thumbprints found on Carolyn’s neck as ‘matching’ Trump’s own (small) hands, but that finding was later amended and officially ruled ‘inconclusive.’

FACT: In his 2009 autobiography ‘One Good Cop,’ Kerik referred to ‘a certain well-known real-estate magnate’ for whom he had ‘made certain inconvenient facts disappear’ (page 243).

By the way, it’s also interesting that Carolyn’s New York roommate Michelle White ‘committed suicide’ by jumping in front of a subway train NOT TWO WEEKS LATER.

More in the link.

Cool. Who cares if it's true as long as we win. Plus, it sounds true... let Trump defend himself.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/politics/trump-twitter-social-media-executive-order/index.html

CNN on a Trump executive order to punish Twitter for fact-checking him.

The draft executive order being prepared by the Trump administration tests the boundaries of the White House's authority. In a long-shot legal bid, it seeks to curtail the power of large social media platforms by reinterpreting a critical 1996 law that shields websites and tech companies from lawsuits.

The draft order, which was reviewed by CNN, targets a law known as the Communications Decency Act. Section 230 of the legislation provides broad immunity to websites that curate and moderate their own platforms, and has been described by legal experts as "the 26 words that created the internet."

It argues that the protections hinge mainly on tech platforms operating in "good faith," and that social media companies have not.

How ironic. How many demonstrable lies has Trump tweeted out? Thousands? In a face off on "Good Faith" Trump loses hands down.

By the way, has anyone found the WoPo Trump fact checker list recently? I was looking for it yesterday and can't find it anymore.

Why doesn't the right-wing just create a right-wing Snopes?

CLAIM: Over 100,000 have died from COVID-19
RESULT: MISLEADING - 99.97% of Americans haven't died from the disease.

CLAIM: Over 60% of Americans disapprove of Trump's handling of the COVID-19 crisis.
RESULT: MISLEADING - The virus certainly came from Wuhan and should be referred to as the Wuhan Virus. China is responsible.

CLAIM: Trump's approval ratings are around 40%.
RESULT: FALSE - President Trump's approval rating among Republicans is well over 90%.

CLAIM: Unemployment has risen to levels unseen since the Great Depression.
RESULT: FALSE - Unemployment during President Trump's presidency were at historic lows.

Back
Top Bottom