• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

With Musk buying it Twitter it will remain that haven of calm, reasoned, nuanced debate that it is renowned for being.
He has paraded this concept of Freedom, yet while people have posted to Twitter in authoritarian nations during protests and uprisings, almost none of them actually ever succeeded in gaining reform. And of course Twitter has never been a place for discussion, but for pronouncement. It is just one of many issues with the purchase. But alt-right thinks Trump is getting uncaged, so they are so happy.

The one thing I'm imagining is how cool the alt-right would be with Bill Gates buying Twitter.

The alt-right is in pwnage mode with the liberals on this, when the liberals are more concerned about one guy buying a huge company, at a wasteful premium, on a whim, and the control that means for a single person.

and create an electric car company from scratch
Just a quick note. Tesla started in 2003. Musk invested 6.5 million in 2004. He became CEO in 2008. Production of the first Tesla car began in 2009. Musk did not create an electric car company from scratch. Others did that.

I'm willing to wait and see what Musk does. If his plan is to just get Trump back and let Twitter become a playground for anti-vaccers, conspiracy-theorists, Russian trolls and fake news bots, then large companies might start to boycott Twitter due to bad information.

But besides being mentally unbalanced, Musk is also a tech guy and might have some interesting ideas for the platform, like making it decentralized via blockchain or some other buzzwords. One of the main problems with social media is that their business model is using people's personal information to sell ads, and maximize the time they're on the platform ogling those ads. Musk is too rich to care about that, so he might try to do something that he thinks is for good of humanity, rather than just make a quick buck.

Or not.

Elon is going to 4Chan Twitter & then while its user base declines he'll use its cloud server resources for Tesla stuff.

Edit: Just look at the map. Twitter servers in Georgia (with new Tesla headquarters in Texas) and Tesla's servers in Nevada (with Cali being his big market). He purchased their cloud servers man...

FRXjQxBXEAAk29z

Elon Musk, bi-polar extraordinaire that managed to make a killing with Paypal investment and turn that around somehow and create an electric car company from scratch, something that is nothing short of impossible...
Not to mention a space launch company SpaceX.

now wants to spread freedom to the world by purchasing Twitter and opening it to liability regarding incitement of riots over its platform.
Incitement of riots is already allowed by the Twitter Powers that Be - as long as they are Antifa/#BLM riots the users are inciting. Outright terrorist groups also have unbanned accounts.
My point is that the moderation on Twitter is very inconsistent and politically biased.

Whether Musk will lose or win money with this purchase remains to be seen. Maybe it's some kind of "Springtime for Hitler" gambit and he hopes Twitter fails in a few years. Who knows.
If you accept Elon's his word for it, he is not interested in making money with Twitter. His motivation for this is simply to provide a non censored platform that everyone can trust for the exercise of free speech.

If you accept Elon's his word for it, he is not interested in making money with Twitter. His motivation for this is simply to provide a non censored platform that everyone can trust for the exercise of free speech.
If you accept his word for it, you're dumber than pig shit.

I've mentioned this before, but fuck "free speech" in all of its orifices. Whenever someone uses the phrase "free speech" online today, what they mean is "I want to be a vile racist cunt and experience zero repercussions". It doesn't mean protection against governments so a citizen can say what they like about them. It doesn't mean the right to peaceably protest about something. "Free speech" as it is used today means right wingers free to say whatever they want with suppression towards any dissenting views. The government isn't even in the equation any more. And if you think what I said is partisan hyperbole that is exactly how Gab, Parler, Trump's cum stain of a social network and other "free speech" social networks operate today. So yeah - to reiterate; considering how the phrase "free speech" is used today, free speech can go fuck itself.

The irony of all this is when the traditional definition of free speech is threatened by Government authoritarianism, modern day "free speech" activists are surprisingly silent, like I pointed out here.

Fuck free speech.

It doesn't mean protection against governments so a citizen can say what they like about them.
Quite the opposite in fact.
Cancel Liz Cheney for telling the truth, cancel Mickey Mouse for criticizing the psycho governor’s policies, ban math books for referring to Jamal, BUT!
… let us tell election lies, spread conspiracy theories and disinformation, sow dissent and violence, amplify the messaging of foreign dictators …THAT is the New Free Speech.
We are about to see some 17th Century terror tactics employed by the increasingly outnumbered radical right, if they get back any control of the federal government. Forget democracy, period.

MOST of the country will be living in third world conditions within a decade if it all goes south in 2024.

The fundamental problem is that as it stands Twitter bans the calls for violence and the like and bans bots as they can be identified.
They ban a lot more than calls for violence and bots. They will generally suspend accounts for voicing politically incorrect opinions.

Lies, not opinions. The stuff that will get your account zapped isn't a matter of opinion, it's about clear falsehoods.
They're trying to keep the place clean. Opening it up means welcoming the trash, it will quickly turn into a hatefest and that will tend to drive others away.
There should be a way to keep it clean of bots and threats of violence without censoring speech just because it may be offensive to some. Or moderating in a politically biased way. It's not an all-or-nothing proposition - either have an overly and inconsistently moderated mess (like Twitter as of now) or else have no moderation at all.
It's a QOP claim that it's politically biased. Their actual bias is towards facts over deception. It's just the QOP positions have little to do with facts.

I had an interesting thought here:

Should Twitter perhaps agree to the sale, then turn around and spend some of those billions building Chirper--same concept with a few security fixes. "We know Twitter is going to turn into a cesspool, we suggest Chirper instead."

I had an interesting thought here:

Should Twitter perhaps agree to the sale, then turn around and spend some of those billions building Chirper--same concept with a few security fixes. "We know Twitter is going to turn into a cesspool, we suggest Chirper instead."
All the share holders would just pony up their money on this? Besides, Jack Dorsey supports Musk so watcha gonna do?

I'm willing to wait and see what Musk does. If his plan is to just get Trump back and let Twitter become a playground for anti-vaccers, conspiracy-theorists, Russian trolls and fake news bots, then large companies might start to boycott Twitter due to bad information.

But besides being mentally unbalanced, Musk is also a tech guy and might have some interesting ideas for the platform, like making it decentralized via blockchain or some other buzzwords. One of the main problems with social media is that their business model is using people's personal information to sell ads, and maximize the time they're on the platform ogling those ads. Musk is too rich to care about that, so he might try to do something that he thinks is for good of humanity, rather than just make a quick buck.

Or not.
Musk is a "tech guy" to the extent that he jumps on a tech and figures out a way to make it work/be profitable. He also pisses a lot of people off in the process.

In a way, he's more like Marconi than Tesla. Guglielmo Marconi is generally credited with "inventing" radio, but he wasn't so much the brains behind the invention as he was the guy who bought the patents and brought it to market.

There's a new EV company just getting underway (they have a factory here in AZ) that is headed by one of those people, and if you believe the reviews, the Lucid Air is head and shoulders above the Tesla Model S in every area except sheer acceleration...partly due to it being developed by the same guy who brought the Model S to market and then left to build a better product without Elon's meddling.

I will give credit where credit is due with Space X, but the other night I watched a very enlightening interview that lays out some of the problems with Musk's takeover of Twitter. About 18 minutes, but worth the watch:

Back
Top Bottom