• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Except the alt-right is censoring books, literally censoring. Not in a "this story smells like crap, and virtually no backup to the claims has been provided" moderation, but actual elimination from the schools.
What, like the Bible?
Actual legislation to ordain parents as overseers of teachers and limiting what teachers can and can't say.
It is long established constitutional law that parents have the the right to guide their children's education. And teachers are not free to saying anything they want to their captive audience.

Never heard of charter schools?
You means those which the Teacher's Union has called the devil? How many parents actually have access to them?
They are also censoring books in public libraries. What the hell are you people so afraid of that you have to impose your fears on all the students in schools.
I don't know about censorship in public libraries. But parents get rightly upset when political or religious activists use the setting of the compulsory classroom to proselytize to their children.

Assuming what you just said it true...
Assuming? What, that people died at The Capitol Bldg? That Trump egged the active riot on and said the VP failed him? That Trump held a insurrection rally just before all this happened? There is no assuming. That is what happened.
...Trump still had the right to voice his opinion if we are a free country.
There is no right to insurrection. In fact, THAT is written into the Constitution.
Because if you do not let him speak, just where do you draw the line?
At criminal acts
Then a temporary suspension would still be the preference over a permanent ban.
It was temporary... and he showed no interest in backing off. Then it was permanent.
By banning a POTUS who used your platform daily, twiiter attempted to tell the world what their political view should be.
Seeing Trump has no political positions other than Trump President for Life, your statement is factually incorrect. Twitter doesn't care which party is in power, they want money. The GOP can post just about anything (and does) on Twitter.

Except the alt-right is censoring books, literally censoring. Not in a "this story smells like crap, and virtually no backup to the claims has been provided" moderation, but actual elimination from the schools.
What, like the Bible?
What in the Bible is worth studying in grade school?

I was speaking more to the more obvious Maus and Meltzer's book on Rosa Parks, among others.
Actual legislation to ordain parents as overseers of teachers and limiting what teachers can and can't say.
It is long established constitutional law that parents have the the right to guide their children's education. And teachers are not free to saying anything they want to their captive audience.
That's nice. If you want to discuss hypothetical teachers teaching hypothetically unsuitable material, go for it. I'm more interested in what actually is happening in classrooms.

You means those which the Teacher's Union has called the devil? How many parents actually have access to them?
They are also censoring books in public libraries. What the hell are you people so afraid of that you have to impose your fears on all the students in schools.
I don't know about censorship in public libraries. But parents get rightly upset when political or religious activists use the setting of the compulsory classroom to proselytize to their children.
Yes, you beating your wife makes many here upset too.

Yes, you beating your wife makes many here upset too.

What, as opposed to sexual identities?
That's nice. If you want to discuss hypothetical teachers teaching hypothetically unsuitable material, go for it. I'm more interested in what actually is happening in classrooms.
3.5 million or so teachers....

You've got 2 TikTok vids. I suppose this is a crisis of hyperbolic proportions!

So do I add a TikTok vid of some guy beating his wife next and extrapolate his actions on you... you being a guy and all?

What, as opposed to sexual identities?
3.5 million or so teachers....

You've got 2 TikTok vids. I suppose this is a crisis of hyperbolic proportions!

So do I add a TikTok vid of some guy beating his wife next and extrapolate his actions on you... you being a guy and all?
Relax. Not at all saying every teacher. Many teachers are great.

But https://www.researchgate.net/public...t_Red_Flag_Grooming_Behaviors_by_Perpetrators

FQGHcz1aUAIpEH4

So you can proselytize the children.

So you can proselytize the children.
Huh?

Musk is African-American.
Musk is not an African-American.

African American: "an ethnic group consisting of Americans with partial or total ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa.[3][4] The term "African American" generally denotes descendants of enslaved Africans who are from the United States."

Elon Musk: "born to a Canadian mother and White South African father"
LOL. He was born in Africa. His father was born in Africa. And his father, etc. Are you saying that Idris Elba is not English/British?
Which part of the given definition of African American, to wit: "an ethnic group consisting of Americans with partial or total ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa.[3][4] The term "African American" generally denotes descendants of enslaved Africans who are from the United States." are you pretending to be incapable of comprehending?

African American: "an ethnic group consisting of Americans with partial or total ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa.[3][4] The term "African American" generally denotes descendants of enslaved Africans who are from the United States."

LOL. He was born in Africa. His father was born in Africa. And his father, etc. Are you saying that Idris Elba is not English/British?
Which part of the given definition of African American, to wit: "an ethnic group consisting of Americans with partial or total ancestry from any of the black racial groups of Africa.[3][4] The term "African American" generally denotes descendants of enslaved Africans who are from the United States." are you pretending to be incapable of comprehending?
He's from Africa! He was actually born there! Why are you trying to deny his identity!

He's from Africa! He was actually born there! Why are you trying to deny his identity!
I go by the definition of African American, Trausti. You should too. It does not deny Elon Musk's identity. You're just applying the wrong label.

The most popular vehicle sold in the US, came out all-electric yesterday.
I'm not sure that would have happened, absent Musk and Tesla. But I do want to drive it, just to see if it has better power and handling than my f250 V10. It should have both, and by a wide margin.
Not a slam on @Ford (our poster) but autonomy is not a priority for most people. What IS a priority, and what mfrs aren't hyping, is the incredible acceleration and handling offered by electric vehicles.

View attachment 38313
My wee little electric hatchback tops out at about 83 MPH... but that off-the-line acceleration just can't be beat. It's a blast to drive, is incredibly nimble and handles well... and I am ticked at not having to pay for gas.

Not much for a road trip though, but for every day use, I totally love it. And yeah - the acceleration and handling are outstanding.

If Twitter isn't guilty of widespread censorship, then Musk's plans to open it up won't make a difference, will it? Why so upset?
The fundamental problem is that as it stands Twitter bans the calls for violence and the like and bans bots as they can be identified. They're trying to keep the place clean. Opening it up means welcoming the trash, it will quickly turn into a hatefest and that will tend to drive others away.
They also have a habit of banning women for stating facts about biology... so...

This really is interesting. Really it is. It is amazing how many people are upset at Elon Musk for doing this.

I thought he was one of the good guys because he manufactured Teslas.

The appropriately named Robert Reich is of course against it.

He says he's all about free speech, but he's really about letting people say whatever they want. /sarcasm
I struggle to keep up with the rules theses days. Who's a good guy, who's a bad guy, what is truth and what is falsehood... they all change with the wind. Partisanship has to be horribly exhausting.

They ban a lot more than calls for violence and bots. They will generally suspend accounts for voicing politically incorrect opinions.

It really depends on who is calling for violence, and against whom. There's a lot of very violent rhetoric and calls for assassinations and harassment on twitter that are a-okay.

Also, weirdly, a lot of advocacy for "minor attracted people" and calls to remove age of consent, and calls to normalize adult-child sexual relationships.

Those comments are unrelated, just an observation. There's a lot of stuff on twitter that makes me scratch my head about why it's allowed... and a lot of various accounts banned for reasons I can't make any sense of. It's kind of a crapshoot.

Remember, we can't tax wealth folks. Musk just bought a nearly $50 billion company... using his wealth.
He paid $11B in taxes for 2021. And you?
Yeah, did you pay less than 5% of your net worth in taxes too?

I know I paid vastly more than 5% of mine.
?

I definitely did not pay more than 5% of my net worth in a single year. My income, yes. But not my net worth.
Then I am guessing you own some real estate outright, or at least with very significant equity.
If you're very young, it's entirely possible to have negative net worth. If you're over about 35 and still have little to no net worth, you're probably going to have a really tough time at retirement.

I've got 401-k and HSA accounts, two cars fully paid off, a house with a considerably amount of equity due to it having been owned for several years and the market improving since I bought it... and a variety of tools, collectibles, and miscellaneous other items that are insured. My net worth is about 8 times my annual income.

Back
Top Bottom