• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Unarmed teen killed in his home by police

You are derailing.

I suppose if one were completely ignorant or a devout racist, one might believe such a straw man.
The only racist thing here is only focusing on black people who are killed. Cases involving blacks who are killed by non-blacks or the police get months if not years of media air play while cases where white people are killed by non-whites or police barely get a blimp on the media radar.
Primarily this is because white people tend to actually DO something demonstrably criminal or threatening before being shot and killed by police officers. It's the "man bites dog" effect: "Meth dealer killed after aiming assault rifle at cops" isn't news. "Freshman killed after aiming dildo at cops" would be news. OTOH, even your Euharlee story actually got picked up by local media and had a relatively vigorous firestorm on affiliate networks in the aftermath. It fits the pattern of most of the other more widely reported cases, and thousands of other non-reported cases.

I invite you to consider the possibility that if there was an alarmingly high rate of unarmed WHITE kids being shot and killed by trigger-happy cops, the governors of half the states in the Union would be admonishing their police officers to exercise more restraint.

That creates the illusion that blacks getting killed by non-blacks or the police is much more frequent than it is, stoking outrage further.
How frequent does it have to be before people get outraged?

Black teens are 21 times more likely to be shot dead by cops than white teens are. For there to be parity between white teens and black teens being shot dead by police, they’d need to shoot 185 more white teens per week.

News naturally focuses on the worse case scenarios. It’s similar to breast cancer. Women get the most attention for that because they are the most frequently affected by it. Are males with breast cancer victims of media bias against them? Is there a conspiracy? No, that’s nuts to think so. And the focus on females, if it results in more effective treatments for breast cancer, would benefit the males too.

Same if the excess shootings of one group brings sufficient negative attention to trigger-happy police. We're all safer if we could rein them in and help them get their priorities straight.

They didn't say that explicitly but they are acting as if it were the case as those are the only cases getting major play on national media and the only cases Obama deems worthy to comment on.
There was some dude ranting about two police officers that were gunned down by a black man. Much like you, he ranted on and on about the horrible injustice of no one anywhere caring about these two police men. Turns out, President Obama actually honored both slain police officers at an event at the White House.

I'm willing to give you a quarter-point for your faux-outrage about the media playing up some cases and not others, but when you start putting words into President Obama's mouth I am going to call you out on it. Unless you can produce anything remotely resembling President Obama saying "only blacks ever get shot by police" then what you wrote above is false and you should retract it.

And WTF is the "race-industrial complex"?
Al "white interlopers" Sharpton, Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson et al. Individuals and organizations that are making a lot of money out of stoking misplaced racial outrage.
Don't answer that. I really don't care for an explanation of any more of your goading verbiage.
Too late!

Former GOP representative Joe Scarborough usually turns my stomach, but he made an excellent point this morning - Al Sharpton, et al, do not just show up at these various places like ambulance chasers. In every case, they are invited in by the families or others involved. And yes, they do have excellent media contacts and we see the results of that.

On the other hand, white families seem to be about to call in the big guns and media contacts when their blonde-haired, blue-eyed daughters go missing. When I hear you ranting about the unfairness of the "blondes-industrial complex", then I will believe you are motivated by true "fair and balanced" reporting, and not by your own racially motivated bias.

Black teens are 21 times more likely to be shot dead by cops than white teens are. For there to be parity between white teens and black teens being shot dead by police, they’d need to shoot 185 more white teens per week.

News naturally focuses on the worse case scenarios. It’s similar to breast cancer. Women get the most attention for that because they are the most frequently affected by it. Are males with breast cancer victims of media bias against them? Is there a conspiracy? No, that’s nuts to think so. And the focus on females, if it results in more effective treatments for breast cancer, would benefit the males too.

Same if the excess shootings of one group brings sufficient negative attention to trigger-happy police. We're all safer if we could rein them in and help them get their priorities straight.
^^^ that

On the other hand, white families seem to be about to call in the big guns and media contacts when their blonde-haired, blue-eyed daughters go missing. When I hear you ranting about the unfairness of the "blondes-industrial complex", then I will believe you are motivated by true "fair and balanced" reporting, and not by your own racially motivated bias.

Don't worry about that one, <snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Primarily this is because white people tend to actually DO something demonstrably criminal or threatening before being shot and killed by police officers.
Like holding a Wii controller. As opposed to innocent black people like Michael Brown who merely robbed a store and tried to steal a cop's gun. Obviously the white kid is a dangerous threat while the black guy did nothing wrong. </sarcasm>

It's the "man bites dog" effect: "Meth dealer killed after aiming assault rifle at cops" isn't news. "Freshman killed after aiming dildo at cops" would be news.
But Michael Brown was "dog bites man" - a robber attacks police and gets shot. While the Euharlee story was "man bites dog" as the kid who was shot by the police wasn't a criminal and wasn't doing anything threatening.

OTOH, even your Euharlee story actually got picked up by local media and had a relatively vigorous firestorm on affiliate networks in the aftermath. It fits the pattern of most of the other more widely reported cases, and thousands of other non-reported cases.
But no national coverage. No federal investigation. No Obama.

I invite you to consider the possibility that if there was an alarmingly high rate of unarmed WHITE kids being shot and killed by trigger-happy cops, the governors of half the states in the Union would be admonishing their police officers to exercise more restraint.
Race should not matter. On the other hand, being "unarmed" is not the same as being no threat.

I don't know of any cases in St. Louis area preceding Michael Brown. So apparently it takes only one.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry about that one, if there is one thing that seems to inform Derec's bias more than racism, it's misogyny.
If you don't have arguments, revert to insults.

Like holding a Wii controller. .
Police maintain he was holding a pistol. Why aren't you defending the police and calling the victim a lying thug and making nasty comments about his mother and father?

There was some dude ranting about two police officers that were gunned down by a black man. Much like you, he ranted on and on about the horrible injustice of no one anywhere caring about these two police men. Turns out, President Obama actually honored both slain police officers at an event at the White House.
Which case are you talking about?

I'm willing to give you a quarter-point for your faux-outrage about the media playing up some cases and not others, but when you start putting words into President Obama's mouth I am going to call you out on it. Unless you can produce anything remotely resembling President Obama saying "only blacks ever get shot by police" then what you wrote above is false and you should retract it.
I didn't say he said it, but likewise he didn't comment on the unarmed white kid shot by police where the grand jury refused to indict.

Former GOP representative Joe Scarborough usually turns my stomach, but he made an excellent point this morning - Al Sharpton, et al, do not just show up at these various places like ambulance chasers. In every case, they are invited in by the families or others involved. And yes, they do have excellent media contacts and we see the results of that.
Morning Joe works for the same outfit that pays the Irrev. Sharpton his millions (that he fails to pay taxes on). But the bigger question is why isn't Sharpton as toxic as white racists? No white family would invite known white racists as a spokesman. Yet Sharpton is not considered toxic, despite Tawana Brawley, despite Crown Heights riot, despite the deadly Freddie Fashion Mart arson. I blame the racial double standard that is rampant in this country.

When was the last time there was a sustained "missing blonde" story that captivated the media? Seems the media has long since lost interest in those stories. "Dead black people" seems to be the new "missing blonde girl". :)

- - - Updated - - -

Police maintain he was holding a pistol. Why aren't you defending the police and calling the victim a lying thug and making nasty comments about his mother and father?
Source?

Don't worry about that one, if there is one thing that seems to inform Derec's bias more than racism, it's misogyny.
If you don't have arguments, revert to insults.

More of an observation than an insult. But go ahead, prove me wrong, show me one argument you have made in a thread about women that does not boil down to "OMG, more female privilege!"

Which case are you talking about?

I didn't say he said it, but likewise he didn't comment on the unarmed white kid shot by police where the grand jury refused to indict.
Was he made aware of that case? Why don't you contact President Obama and ask him about that case. I'm willing to bet he would comment on it very much like he has commented on Michael Brown and Eric Garner because there is a similarity of misplaced deadly force by police in all three cases.

On the other hand, there remains the fact that black men are disproportionately targeted by police, and that issue also needs to be addressed.

Source?

It was in the article you linked. Here's another:

Police say he was pointing a handgun, not the video game device.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ps-front-door-family-lawyer-article-1.1619842

and another:

As the officer tells it, Roupe was holding a gun when he answered the door.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...ot-boy-holding-wii-controller-lawyer-alleges/ Note: that was in Think Progress

another from Reason.com:

Police claim Roupe was holding a handgun, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has not yet completed its report on the incident.
http://reason.com/blog/2014/03/06/cop-who-fatally-shot-wii-controller-wiel

enough or do you need more?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he needs more.

Derec said:
It's the "man bites dog" effect: "Meth dealer killed after aiming assault rifle at cops" isn't news. "Freshman killed after aiming dildo at cops" would be news.
But Michael Brown was "dog bites man" - a robber attacks police and gets shot. While the Euharlee story was "man bites dog" as the kid who was shot by the police wasn't a criminal and wasn't doing anything threatening.
And the local media went apeshit over it. This would have been a major story if it happened in, say, Atlanta or Marietta or even in Cartersville. But it happened in Euharlee, a bumblefuck town with a population of just over 4,000. That the story got picked up as widely as it did is actually kind of amazing.

The thing is, local media picks up those kinds of stories all the time. There was a huge uproar around these parts two years ago when officers opened fire on a carload of football players from my high school after mistaking them for gangbangers. NONE of the national stations covered that story, even when it was obvious to everyone involved that the officers had shown up at the wrong address and fired at the wrong car.

OTOH, even your Euharlee story actually got picked up by local media and had a relatively vigorous firestorm on affiliate networks in the aftermath. It fits the pattern of most of the other more widely reported cases, and thousands of other non-reported cases.
But no national coverage. No federal investigation. No Obama.
It DID have national coverage. What it didn't get was national ATTENTION. Mainly because the officer in question claimed she saw a gun and because the media uncritically sides with the police officers' versions of events more often than not. FYI, same thing happens with black people more often than not.

If Chris Roupe had been killed while holding a Wii remote at, say, Best Buy or in full view of a dozen or so witnesses, it would be a different story. Otherwise, it's just another "cop saw what (s)he thought was a gun and righteously defended herself" story. The only reason the story got any traction at all is because someone let it be known that the Roupe definitely WASN'T armed when he was shot, so the officer's version of events was called into question by the media.

Race should not matter.
I agree.
And yet it still DOES.

On the other hand, being "unarmed" is not the same as being no threat.
So you are retracting your implication that Chris Roupe was not a threat to the officer that killed him?

I don't know of any cases in St. Louis area preceding Michael Brown.
Which, again, is because MOST such cases never get national media coverage. And even the media is only one small part of the LOCAL story anyway.

How much national coverage did we get when it came to light that Chicago police officers had a history of extracting confessions from subjects through torture? How much national coverage did we get when Glenn Evans got caught tasering suspects in the balls and forcing confessions at gunpoint? You seem to be implying that the kind of reaction we're seeing from Ferguson just kinda popped up out of nowhere. That is far from the case.

So apparently it takes only one.
It takes a lot more than that. A well-earned reputation and a documented history of corruption, for one. The fact that they have been caught abusing their power with impunity and even occasionally being caught planting evidence. When you consider that the media only runs those stories when the evidence behind them is pretty reliable, you have to wonder how many hundreds of such cases are circulating word-of-mouth on the streets of Saint Louis that generate not even a yawn from the local stations.

Chris Roupe couldn't even get a honorable mention on CNN without some witnesses to his murder. How do you suppose the people of Ferguson would have gotten the word out?

Morning Joe works for the same outfit that pays the Irrev. Sharpton his millions (that he fails to pay taxes on). But the bigger question is why isn't Sharpton as toxic as white racists?
Because being ACCUSED of being a racist by right wing reactionaries doesn't actually make you one?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he needs more.
Maybe we could get Al Sharpton to give a written apology to Chris Roupe's parents, written on the skin of Trayvon's Martin in Tawana Brawley's blood?

You are derailing.
Actually you are. I didn't mention the racial aspect in the OP. And my posting history clearly isn't one of soap box like attention to racial matters.

However, your red herring was successful in engaging some posters in a tit for tat black vs white arguments. But they mostly kept focused on the primary problem of our police. Even if I were a card carrying racist I would still object to how police treat people of color because injustice against them means injustice against every non-elite eventually.

And as I touched upon in the OP it seems like the media hypes these grey area cases as a wedge between indifferent or unaware whites vs people of color and white SJWs. That's why I suggested we focus on cases of the most innocent that were victimized. To keep the petty squabbling of who's got it worse to a minimum. And focus on the primary problem of a occupying militarized police force.

Yup, I think this is one of the biggest causes of unjust shootings--drug raids. Especially when the druggies are trying to destroy their stash to keep it out of the cop's hands.

Considering that drugs shouldn't be illegal in the first place, destroying the stash before violent thugs break in and start assaulting people should be considered an act of self defense.

You are derailing.
Irony, thy name is Derec.

The only racist thing here is only focusing on black people who are killed. Cases involving blacks who are killed by non-blacks or the police get months if not years of media air play while cases where white people are killed by non-whites or police barely get a blimp on the media radar. Same goes for the federal government, be it federal investigations or comments by the president.
That creates the illusion that blacks getting killed by non-blacks or the police is much more frequent than it is, stoking outrage further.
Seems to me, until your derail about a white victim, no one posted about race. Certainly not the OP. Perhaps you ought to reconsider why you are so focused on race.

The reality is that police are making avoidable killings in the name of 'self defense" and local communities are beginning to wake up to this abuse.

Back
Top Bottom