• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

University: "not about creating an intellectual space"

Ermagerd - people are disagreeing and yelling at each other. And it's on the INTERNET.

WHAT HAVE WE DONE?!?!

That's like, a very, very small percentage of the entire student body at that particular University.

I can't even tell what this is about, but if the left is taking responsibility for free speech rights, is it really a bad thing?

Kids these days... what bunch of pouting crybabies. Sounds like we should be equipping the dorm rooms for the incoming freshmen with pacifiers, Huggies and some Play-Doh.

Hmmm---you don't suppose Skull and Bones has anything to do with this do you?....Yale...the home of Dubbiya and Kerry. Rich people's kids at Yale, whether they are liberal or conservative...they are still rich people's kids who imagine they are entitled to a safe place for themselves to act up. As long as it works that way, the girl is right and the guy in the blue shirt is out to lunch....rich peoples' rules. The school is Yale, not Podunk Community College.;)

I can't even tell what this is about, but if the left is taking responsibility for free speech rights, is it really a bad thing?

Read the article. The students in the video are not 'taking responsibility for free speech rights', but approve of the quashing of free speech and suggest people should resign for expressing viewpoints different to their own.

The university’s 'Intercultural Affairs Committee' sent an email to the entire undergraduate student body 'suggesting' that students avoid 'cultural appropriation and misrepresentation' if they dress up for Halloween, complete with a Pinterest link to what 'approved' costumes look like as well as 'what to avoid'.

Then Erika Christakis (associate master of Silliman College) sent a response to the email criticising the first email. Then the shit hit the fan. Christakis' husband was also drawn into the melee when he defended his wife's viewpoint.

Also, the first time I mentioned this, I was only half-kidding. But this vertical video syndrome shit is getting serious.

Read the article. The students in the video are not 'taking responsibility for free speech rights', but approve of the quashing of free speech and suggest people should resign for expressing viewpoints different to their own.

The university’s 'Intercultural Affairs Committee' sent an email to the entire undergraduate student body 'suggesting' that students avoid 'cultural appropriation and misrepresentation' if they dress up for Halloween, complete with a Pinterest link to what 'approved' costumes look like as well as 'what to avoid'.

Then Erika Christakis (associate master of Silliman College) sent a response to the email criticising the first email. Then the shit hit the fan. Christakis' husband was also drawn into the melee when he defended his wife's viewpoint.

Also, the first time I mentioned this, I was only half-kidding. But this vertical video syndrome shit is getting serious.

Like I was saying, it is a bunch of rich kids....at Silly Man College!

That's like, a very, very small percentage of the entire student body at that particular University.

The point is that university discourse has changed. This may be a small percentage of the student body, but it is this small percentage which bullies everyone else to adhere to their doctrine.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZsQMv08FSY[/YOUTUBE]

The point is that university discourse has changed. This may be a small percentage of the student body, but it is this small percentage which bullies everyone else to adhere to their doctrine.

Yup, bullying is an entirely new phenomenon on campuses. So is pressure to act and think a specific way. So is the idea that the lib'rul universities are fostering opinions that have no relation to 'real life'.

After all, a quote like "I believe that college makes complete fools of our young people, because they see and hear nothing of ordinary life there." sounds like it was just said last week. Just last week!

Yup, bullying is an entirely new phenomenon on campuses. So is pressure to act and think a specific way. So is the idea that the lib'rul universities are fostering opinions that have no relation to 'real life'.

After all, a quote like "I believe that college makes complete fools of our young people, because they see and hear nothing of ordinary life there." sounds like it was just said last week. Just last week!

Sorry man. If you need to get to your safe place, then go.

Sorry man. If you need to get to your safe place, then go.

Did you not recognize the quote?

So what are the odds this crowd is gonna get the scalps of this married couple?

In an ideal world, we would be able to do racial/gender/age/disability/weight/etc... drag for halloween without it being a big thing. We do not live in that world. But the email response from questioned where the cutoff point should be if at all. The example is a blonde five year old wanting to be Mulan, but what about an 18 year old.

I sometime work anime conventions and those are fun to see all the young folk with there costumes that have little cultural baggage. There are having a great time.

Yes even more so, some of the people just look like they are watching. After the young lady is yelling at some official-looking guy over something very specific that seems to have affected one person, most of the onlookers look like they want to leave.

Yes even more so, some of the people just look like they are watching. After the young lady is yelling at some official-looking guy over something very specific that seems to have affected one person, most of the onlookers look like they want to leave.
No sir. It is
When we judge an individual, we must project the opinion of the one on to the many.

Back
Top Bottom