• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

University: "not about creating an intellectual space"

I'd hate to be her boyfriend. What if he left the toilet seat up?

She'd probably bitch at him for being in the women's restroom in the dorm. Then she'd find something else to bitch at him about.

Read the article. The students in the video are not 'taking responsibility for free speech rights', but approve of the quashing of free speech and suggest people should resign for expressing viewpoints different to their own.
so what you're saying is that freely expressing speech which is counter to what you believe or think is valuable is wrong and should be quashed?

if i didn't know any better i'd say there was some kind of irony in that.

also, how many people (especially in america) that don't understand what the 1st amendment is or what "free speech" means continues to astound me.

so what you're saying is that freely expressing speech which is counter to what you believe or think is valuable is wrong and should be quashed?

I didn't say it and I don't believe it. I said the response to the response was over the top.

if i didn't know any better i'd say there was some kind of irony in that.

You should know better, as I have consistently advocated for free speech, including the toning down of libel/slander/defamation laws. I have also consistently said that free speech does not mean you are free of the nonviolent consequences of that speech, which includes people boycotting you or offering their own rebuttal.

So when I criticise what this student is doing, I am using my own free speech. That's how it works.

also, how many people (especially in america) that don't understand what the 1st amendment is or what "free speech" means continues to astound me.

I do understand it and I'm not in America.

The guy in the video could be a real dick but I am reasonably sure the girl is simply the rich brat from hell and probably not capable of existing in an intellectual space. Why else would she be enrolled in Yale? To prepare to run for president!;)

Is it just me, or does it seem that the more trivial the incident the more butthurt is the reaction of the conservative loonisphere?

Is it just me, or does it seem that the more trivial the incident the more butthurt is the reaction of the conservative loonisphere?

Didn't you start at least two of the trivial Ben Carson threads? I mean, glass houses and all that.

Didn't you start at least two of the trivial Ben Carson threads? I mean, glass houses and all that.

That guy's running to the President. Questions about his honesty and competence are anything but trivial.

The notion that people have some 'right' not to be offended is nonsense.

Equally nonsense is the notion that others have some 'obligation' not to cause offense - ever.

Equally nonsense is the notion that others have some 'obligation' not to cause offense - ever.

l37r8.jpg

It is easily verifiable I have not started any Ben Carson threads. Does sitting really hurt you that much?

Does it bother you?

Only because you're trying to be unnecessarily inflammatory.

Or pointing out the ridiculousness of being offended by everything. Hence, the response to JonA's comment.

And in keeping with the theme of the thread.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM[/YOUTUBE]

- - - Updated - - -

It is easily verifiable I have not started any Ben Carson threads. Does sitting really hurt you that much?

I'm sorry. I did mistake you for someone else.

the notion that people have some 'right' to be offensive is nonsense.

equally nonsense is the notion that others have some 'obligation' not to be offended - ever.

Back
Top Bottom