• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US mid-term elections - 6NOV18

Predict the results of the 2018 Mid-Terms

• Republicans lose the Senate but retain the House

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Their niche is center-left, Fox is far right and MSNBC is far left. In an age when practically everyone in America has a choice of dozens of channels, they tend to watch what pleases them most. However, in the end, corporations are all about profit regardless of what they are selling.

But then CNN, with Don Lemon, looks like it is making a play for MSNBCs far left audience.

It is a shame that the ideological political position of a "news" media can be so easily identified. I gotta wonder if an objective news source would attract an audience. Surely there must be some in the US that would prefer to hear simple facts so they can draw their own conclusions than to be spoon fed what they should believe reality is.

Agreed. Trump has become a great money-maker for them. They should send Trump royalty checks.

Their niche is center-left, Fox is far right and MSNBC is far left. In an age when practically everyone in America has a choice of dozens of channels, they tend to watch what pleases them most. However, in the end, corporations are all about profit regardless of what they are selling.

Which is why they don't sell what hurts their profits. There is no far left in for-profit news. Far right does not have that constraint.

Far right obviously does better, but I think that's the demographic: Older people watch more television than younger people. They also vote more than younger people.

That said, the far left keeps trying. MSNBC is hard left and CNN is often left of center. Don Lemon is a good example.

Which is why they don't sell what hurts their profits. There is no far left in for-profit news. Far right does not have that constraint.

Far right obviously does better, but I think that's the demographic: Older people watch more television than younger people. They also vote more than younger people.

That said, the far left keeps trying. MSNBC is hard left and CNN is often left of center. Don Lemon is a good example.

Personally, I'd describe CNN, ABC, CBS, & NBC as statist/corporatist in nature far more than left of center. They rarely question the military-complex, nor its massive funding compared to anything else in the world. Our media is enthralled with the issues around the death of one man called Khashoggi, but hardly a word comes out about the emergent possibly worst famine in decades as the US partners with the Saudi barbaric campaign of death and destruction in Yemen as tens of thousands die.

CNN particularly (as it is the one mainstream site I watch more regularly), never challenged the Repug talking points words on Planned Parenthood's payments from the feds. They parroted the notion that the govt. funds them, like its some sort of grant. That is true for the small amount of Title X funding, but the vast majority of the money comes as reimbursement for medicaid provided services (not including abortion) like hundreds of other medical service providers. That is left of center?

Well, in the US, left of center means "doesn't suck Trump's cock". It doesn't mean "on the left side of the political spectrum" or anything like that.

Like most countries, America has certain words and phrases which have different meanings than they do in the rest of the world.

Well, in the US, left of center means "doesn't suck Trump's cock". It doesn't mean "on the left side of the political spectrum" or anything like that.

Like most countries, America has certain words and phrases which have different meanings than they do in the rest of the world.
:fuckoff: Does this mean something different in the rest of the world? :biggrina:

Okay, let's make something simple to understand. MSNBC does NOT have hosts railing on about the need for the Government to take over all of the oil companies in the US. Therefore, MSNBC is not "hard left".

Last edited:
Plus, MSNBC invites and gives viewing time to all kinds of conservatives. At least one of the hosts ( Nicole Wallace ) worked in the Bush administration. While Joe Scarborough no longer considers himself a Republican, he does consider himself a conservative. So, no MSNBC isn't hard left. It has both left, right and centrists hosts. Chris Matthews almost always has conservatives on his panels. Some of them are very far to the right. Others are Republicans who simply don't support Trump. But, MSNBC has given air time to Trump supporters too. I think the right has gone so bonkers that anyone less extreme than they are, is now considered hard left.

Does Fox give a lot of air time to liberals? I doubt it.

But then CNN, with Don Lemon, looks like it is making a play for MSNBCs far left audience.

It is a shame that the ideological political position of a "news" media can be so easily identified. I gotta wonder if an objective news source would attract an audience. Surely there must be some in the US that would prefer to hear simple facts so they can draw their own conclusions than to be spoon fed what they should believe reality is.
Only in the US would MSNBC be considered 'far' left. It's barely left of center in the civilized world.

Does Fox give a lot of air time to liberals? I doubt it.

They have liberals on pretty frequently, but only to shout at them and try to make them look stupid. The bias is glaring at all times. But yes, liberals do get on there. Sometimes they slip though some hilarious one liners.

This poll closes tomorrow morning, but the real poll closes Tuesday night. For all of you who are legal to vote in the US, please do so.

2gr8wd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom