• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

angelo, the world is already in deep shit.

There is a duopoly of the Republicrats. Their politics is the same -- woo their voters with benefits. "Free" money for their friends, relatives and campaign contributors.

There are, in the US, longer bread lines than in the 30s. We don't see them, though; they have a food stamp credit card.

Carly Fiorina is in!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/04/carly-fiorina-2016_n_7186342.html

And with only 3 supporters she has already raised millions....

"Our founders never intended us to have a professional political class, they believed that citizens and leaders needed to step forward," she said in a video posted to her website. "We know the only way to reimagine our government is to reimagine who is leading it." "HP requires executive decision-making and the presidency is all about executive decision-making," Fiorina told CNN earlier this year.

Apparently she might be forgetting about how our government actually works.

Carly Fiorina is in!

"Our founders never intended us to have a professional political class, they believed that citizens and leaders needed to step forward," she said in a video posted to her website. "We know the only way to reimagine our government is to reimagine who is leading it." "HP requires executive decision-making and the presidency is all about executive decision-making," Fiorina told CNN earlier this year.

Sounds like a VP bid. Only thing going for her is... um....

Sounds like a VP bid. Only thing going for her is... um....
I wouldn't completely discount her. She's focused on the economy, a strong issue for republicans. The other reps are focused on fixing the mid-east or social issues.
They are all focused on the economy that Obama destroyed in '08. And to fix it, they all demand cutting spending and taxes. She doesn't stick out at all.

I wouldn't completely discount her. She's focused on the economy, a strong issue for republicans. The other reps are focused on fixing the mid-east or social issues.
They are all focused on the economy that Obama destroyed in '08. And to fix it, they all demand cutting spending and taxes. She doesn't stick out at all.

Wasn't it her hubby Bill that said " It's the economy stupid."

Actually, the problem is the difference between "recession" and "depression". Yes, we all know the recession is long over. However, that doesn't mean everything is better. How long should it take to get out of a depression?

I once tried to explain the difference, but it confused everyone here very badly. They thought I said the economy was a sine wave when I used a graphic to illustrate the difference between recession and depression.

Anyway, the recession ended a while ago but the depression is still with us, leading to the question of how long it should take to get out of a depression.

Actually, the problem is the difference between "recession" and "depression". Yes, we all know the recession is long over. However, that doesn't mean everything is better. How long should it take to get out of a depression?

I once tried to explain the difference, but it confused everyone here very badly. They thought I said the economy was a sine wave when I used a graphic to illustrate the difference between recession and depression.

Anyway, the recession ended a while ago but the depression is still with us, leading to the question of how long it should take to get out of a depression.

What is your definition of depression? Certainly we are not in a depression as economists would define it. Secondly, would you agree that re-invading the ME and borrowing another 2 trillion dollars won't get us out of the depression as you define it? Of course borrowing a trillion and spending it in the US would dramatically grow the US economy in the short term. But pouring it into the ME will do us nothing.

Since Huckabee announced...

Not that I think Mike Huckabee has much of a chance as a retread in the Repug primaries, but his pandering to the extreme right on gay marriage won't win him any brownie points in the general public. Of course he is hardly alone, but who ever wins the Repug primary, will have to deal with seeing this shoved down their throat in the general race, if they are dumb enough to spout such extreme idiocy.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conte...g-if-supreme-court-approves-marriage-equality
The persecution theme seems to have struck a chord. Leading GOP figures including Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, along with several Republican congressmen, all appear in a film to be released this year that alleges that the gay rights movement plans to outlaw Christianity. Huckabee has repeatedly invoked Nazi tyranny while discussing gay rights, and even said that the gay community seeks to ultimately destroy churches and the Gospel.

Carly Fiorina is in!

(Bolded) How did that work out for HP?

Is the unemployment rate 10%? Is the underemployment rate 20+%?

What is your definition of depression? Certainly we are not in a depression as economists would define it. Secondly, would you agree that re-invading the ME and borrowing another 2 trillion dollars won't get us out of the depression as you define it? Of course borrowing a trillion and spending it in the US would dramatically grow the US economy in the short term. But pouring it into the ME will do us nothing.

A definition of "depression"? They don't have one. Whatever happened can't be a depression because it's not going to happen again. Therefore anything that does happen is by definition not a depression.

As for spending 2T in the ME--it depends on how we spend it. If it's paying Americans then it has a similar effect to spending it here. (Although if it's spent here to build useful things those things also provide a benefit.)

First you have to be in a depression to get out of one. Although definitions of depression and recession differ between economists, it is generally recognized that a depression is a more severe recession. So, if the recession is over, and it never turned into a depression, then there is no depression from which to recover. Fun fact, every economic downturn before the Great Depression was called a depression. The term recession was coined during the Great Depression to contrast the more mild previous economic contractions with the devastating depression of that period.

You didn't confuse anyone. We just laughed at your feeble attempt to paint the recovering recession as a depression by using a freaking sine wave instead of a chart of actual historic recessions and depressions, which we could only assume would not have supported your theory.

No. It's a stupid question. If the recession ended without becoming a depression, and another one did not begin, then we can't possibly be in a depression. No sine wave is going to show us anything different. If you can't make your case with real world economic data, it's time to throw in the towel.

You didn't confuse anyone. We just laughed at your feeble attempt to paint the recovering recession as a depression by using a freaking sine wave instead of a chart of actual historic recessions and depressions, which we could only assume would not have supported your theory.

Yes, yes, we all know that is what you say now.

And now Santorum is in! Huzzah! The annointed 'next in line.'

The sad part about this years crop of republicans: Huckabee seems the least objectionable.

And now Santorum is in! Huzzah! The annointed 'next in line.'

The sad part about this years crop of republicans: Huckabee seems the least objectionable.

Still funny: Google results for Santorum

santorum

Noun

santorum (uncountable)
1. (neologism, sex, slang) A frothy mixture of lubricant and fecal matter as an occasional byproduct of anal sex. [from 21st c.]
2. (neologism, slang, derogatory) Shit: rubbish, worthless matter, nonsense, bull. [from 21st c.]
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/santorum

Back
Top Bottom