• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

Well, Cruz isn't going for a win, since he's been mathematically eliminated from that. All he needs to do is keep building up delegates to try and take things on the second or third ballot.

Trump now has 950 delegates.
He need 1237 to win.
279 more

California winner take all 172
New Jersey winner take all 51

All Trump needs is 121 more.
Oregon, Washington, proportional About 29
And 146 undelegated.

It looks like he can do it.

Trump now has 950 delegates.
He need 1237 to win.
279 more

California winner take all 172
New Jersey winner take all 51

All Trump needs is 121 more.
Oregon, Washington, proportional About 29
And 146 undelegated.

It looks like he can do it.

Even if he can't outright, a brokered convention which doesn't pick him will have the Rs in the wilderness for at least a decade. He's running a 3M+ differential in popular votes so far

Looking more and more like an ego driven feminist versus Trump contest for the race to the White house.
What makes Hillary Clinton an "ego driven feminist"? I don't think that she's as egotistical as Donald Trump, for instance.

Rhode Island was an exceptional state for both parties, with Kasich winning 5 delegates and Cruz winning 1 delegate there, and with Sanders winning there instead of Clinton.

Trump: 105 delegates, Clinton: 194 delegates, Sanders: 129 delegates.

Trump and Clinton needed 442 and 391 delegates to win; they now need 337 and 197 delegates to win.

May 3: R: 57, D: 83 -- R: 57, D: 83
May 7: R: 0, D: 7 -- R: 57, D: 90
May 10: R: 70, D: 29 -- R: 127, D: 119
May 17: R: 28, D: 116 -- R: 155, D: 235
May 24: R: 44, D: 0 -- R: 199, D: 235
Jun 4: R: 0, D:7 -- R: 199, D: 242
Jun 5: R: 0, D: 60 -- R: 199, D: 302
Jun 7: R: 303, D: 694 -- R: 504, D: 996
Jun 14: R: 0, D: 20 -- R: 504, D: 1016

So the Republican race will only be decided on June 7.

The Democratic race is more complicated. The Democratic primaries have mostly been proportional, and I'll assume that to continue. So here are the results for various proportionalities. I've listed the total number of delegates to be awarded and which date the race is decided:
  • 50%: 394 -- Jun 7
  • 60%: 328 -- Jun 7
  • 75%: 263 -- Jun 7
  • 80%: 246 -- Jun 5
  • 90%: 219 -- May 17
  • 100%: 197 -- May 17
Clinton got 60% of the vote last Tuesday, and if this continues, then May won't decide the Democratic race either.

Well, the outcome must be stunning Tom Sawyer, as it looks like Clinton will be heading straight for the nomination, something he just couldn't see happening.
Well, Cruz isn't going for a win, since he's been mathematically eliminated from that. All he needs to do is keep building up delegates to try and take things on the second or third ballot.
Exactly, Cruz is looking to win delegates at the state conventions, not the primaries.

Looking more and more like an ego driven feminist versus Trump contest for the race to the White house.
What makes Hillary Clinton an "ego driven feminist"? I don't think that she's as egotistical as Donald Trump, for instance.

She's just not as boisterous, so therefore she can't be nearly as egotistical. After all, egotistical people always speak off the cuff.

She's just not as boisterous, so therefore she can't be nearly as egotistical. After all, egotistical people always speak off the cuff.
All people who seek power have an ego.

Hot newz! Ted Thunderbunk has just chosen Carly Fiorina officially as his VP. The Cruz death march to Cleveland continues. Carlie is no Palin, she can actually speak English. but she is strident enough this is going to be something to behold as she hits the campaign trail. Everybody get out your red rubber clown noses and chant, Ted!, Ted!

Hot newz! Ted Thunderbunk has just chosen Carly Fiorina officially as his VP. The Cruz death march to Cleveland continues. Carlie is no Palin, she can actually speak English. but she is strident enough this is going to be something to behold as she hits the campaign trail. Everybody get out your red rubber clown noses and chant, Ted!, Ted!
If only Trump would pick Palin as his running mate (after all she has experience running for VP), then the 3 rings would be in place for the show to start....

I managed to catch a bit of Fiorina on Mark Levine's radio program. She is sounding the same old RW tropes. But what caught my ear is that she is buying into the idea there is a war on religion, and wants to work of "religious freedom", for Christians to be sure. So expect a lot of guff about gays, freedom to discriminate et al. We will hear a lot of dog whistles at the leas, until Cleveland.

If only Trump would pick Palin as his running mate (after all she has experience running for VP), then the 3 rings would be in place for the show to start....
I think somebody like Gov. Susana Martinez is more likely - if she is game.

Back
Top Bottom