• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US President 2016 - the Great Horse Race

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/11/12426346/trump-polls-today

We are two weeks out from the final day of the Democratic convention. And according to historical research by political scientists Robert Erikson and Christopher Wlezien, this is usually the time that the convention fog finally lifts and the polls become more predictive.

"Although the convention season is the time for multiple bounces in the polls, one party ends up with an advantage when the dust clears. And this gain is a net convention bump rather than a bounce," Erikson and Wlezien write in their book The Timeline of Presidential Elections.
That is, once the volatility dies down, one candidate usually emerges from the convention chaos with a durable lead. And almost always, the political scientists find, that candidate goes on to win the election.

----

According to Huffington Polls, Clinton is ahead by 8% points, even factoring in Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate. So if the Vox experts quoted are right, Clinton has a big probability of winning, barring some big scandal or such. Which it seems more likely be a problem for Trump, and his big mouth.

The last time a nominee hid illness like Clinton is now, he stole our gold, created massive bureaucracy and dragged us into WWII on the wrong side.

A lot of polls today. One kicker was South Carolina. It isn't the 2 pt lead there that is the biggest news. It is the Senate race, where the Republican is up 17 pts!

This seems to indicate the max hurt Trump can do. He may cost the Republicans a few seats, but unless turnout is crushed, the Republicans shouldn't be looking at 40 to 45 seats.

The numbers in Georgia and South Carolina are unnerving for a Trump candidacy, less than 5 pts. The South Carolina poll was a PPP poll which I believe hasn't been the friendliest with outcomes for Clinton. Losing South Carolina and Georgia would likely mean losing the entire East Coast, which would help a lot in the battle for 400 EVs.

- - - Updated - - -

The last time a nominee hid illness like Clinton is now, he stole our gold, created massive bureaucracy and dragged us into WWII on the wrong side.

What the fuck?
repoman is a nazi-sympathizer.

A lot of polls today. One kicker was South Carolina. It isn't the 2 pt lead there that is the biggest news. It is the Senate race, where the Republican is up 17 pts!

This seems to indicate the max hurt Trump can do. He may cost the Republicans a few seats, but unless turnout is crushed, the Republicans shouldn't be looking at 40 to 45 seats.

What the South Carolina Senate poll almost certainly reflects is the fact that the Democrats don't have a competitive candidate--their nominee is Thomas Dixon, who is described as a community activist and who is also the Green Party candidate. That suggests to me that he's not likely going to raise a lot of money for his campaign, and that he's not likely the sort of candidate who could win a statewide race in South Carolina.

In order for Trump to cost the Republicans seats in Congress the Democrats are going to have to have good, competitive candidates for those seats. I'd guess that the party didn't make recruitment of a Senate candidate in South Carolina a priority since no one really expected it to be in play this year until too late.

The funniest thing about that is that I'm not entirely sure that it's a made up quote. I can totally see him saying exactly that. :)

The numbers in Georgia and South Carolina are unnerving for a Trump candidacy, less than 5 pts. The South Carolina poll was a PPP poll which I believe hasn't been the friendliest with outcomes for Clinton. Losing South Carolina and Georgia would likely mean losing the entire East Coast, which would help a lot in the battle for 400 EVs.

- - - Updated - - -

What the fuck?

He should post in the Controversial opinions thread.

- - - Updated - - -

He should post in the Controversial opinions thread.

where is that?

The funniest thing about that is that I'm not entirely sure that it's a made up quote. I can totally see him saying exactly that. :)

It is a made up quote but it's really what his supporters are saying. The press is being mean by quoting the Trumpster fire.

Back
Top Bottom